Skinny or thin?

Comments

• killermiles - I'm only 5'9" and weighed about 10st when I was running PBs, including 1.11 for 1/2m. Last time I ran a 1/2m, about five years ago, I ran 1.20 weighing about 12st.

Without knowing you in detail, seeing you etc I agree with most others on here that you are bordering on dangerously underweight. No one wants to run around carrying a sack of spuds but I can't help but feel you are leaving yourself too weak to get the best out of your running.

Relax. Enjoy your running. Enjoy your food and drink. Enjoy your life.

And good luck.
  • PaulMarshPaulMarsh ✭✭✭

Today I did a hill run, luckly where I live, I've got a choice of hill, canal, footpath and flat all within 2 miles of where I live. Also there is an only railway line which is now a path which goes to the next town, which is flat.

The hill I did is a 800ft climb over various terrain and really enjoy this route, especially the view. Even though it was hot, did over 90 mins and 30 mins on the bike - and don't feel weak or tired.

• PaulMarshPaulMarsh ✭✭✭

Doing well, this weekend. Ran well last night and got up this morning a 5 am and ran until over 8am. three hours or almost 26 miles? Either way it was a good run, but really ran out of energy a couple of miles from home. How come I can run so far, with so little weight? I don't mind being thin, as I've always been so from school, so its not like I was 20stone and got down to 10! The problem is even though I feel really starving, I don't feel like eating - especially now when its hot, and I'm around in just a pair of shorts, I don't mind at all that people can see my ribs - after all we all have them and I feel superior if I stood next to a obese person.

Now to enjoy the sun - hope this weather lasts...image

• killermiles wrote (see)

The problem is even though I feel really starving, I don't feel like eating.

I don't want to get all medical on you or anything - but when you feel 'really starving' that's your body's way of telling you to eat some food!

If you can't see this then you clearly have a problem.

• PaulMarshPaulMarsh ✭✭✭
    I never have breakfast, but I do have light bites during the day. At 10am I have an carrot and apple, probably the same mid afternoon. I find that if I eat too early or too much, I feel quesey in the stomach. Sometimes I have toast in the morning if I've got a race, not too heavy, but some energy. I suppose it's the habbit I've got into. Also I don't like cooking or preparing food - and just want something quick and not too filling.
  • After 3 hour runs it can be hard to have the stomach to eat, especially in the heat, but you need to get the fuel down you anyway.  If it's hard to eat, try drinking recovery drinks such as milkshakes until you get the appetite back. Not eating enough on a chronic basis is what's causing you to have a decreased appetite, it's not that you don't need the food.  

If your BMI gets below 18.5 then you are entering dangerous territory and any less than this will not improve your running and, probably more importantly, put you at an increased risk of severe infections, osteoporosis (you may feel fine but once you get the first fracture, it's often irreversible) and well, death

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Killermiles,

Out of interest, what was your time for your 10000?

• mate your not doing yourself any favour eating so little, your already underweight, that's nothing to feel superior about

honestly mate have a candid chat with your GP or a sport nutritionist, you should bulk up.  I have a dear friend who suffered from anorexia, you dont want to go down that way, I can assure you.

• PaulMarshPaulMarsh ✭✭✭

My 10,000m time was 32 mins, but last week I ran the cross country course last week and got my time down from 1:24 to 1:19, quite good, but its still 6 mins off the winning time. I was being paced, which helped, but it was very hard and really had to work to keep within this time window.

Where I live, there is no sport facilities, such as nutritionist, but I did have a checkup at my GP for a unrelated matter, but never mentioned my weight. This Dr has known me since I was 4, and my medical history.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

That's quite a difference between 10000 time and half marathon.  Must have been a tough cross-country course.  Still, you must be pleased that both times meet the powerof10 standard; for me that's always a pleasing benchmark.

• PaulMarshPaulMarsh ✭✭✭
    The cross country course is quite hilly. Am about to go running now, using this course, but will do it in reverse, as the hills are near the finish, so I can use my energy on the flats, gaining speed there. Will be a hard one, as its quite warm, but this is a stamina run, not timed as such. I'll see if the weight I've lost speeds me up.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Ah, if they're not races that will explain why you don't appear on powerof10.  Respect for toughing out 10000m in a non-race situation.  I've never been able to face the thought of quite so many laps of the track in a race, let alone training!
  • killermiles wrote (see)

I don't mind at all that people can see my ribs - after all we all have them and I feel superior if I stood next to a obese person.

What a strange thing to say... image
  • I'm slow, and only just below 'overweight' BMI, so I'm not a great person to comment, but... it does seem an unhealthy obsession.

Taking pride in seeing you ribs and feeling superior to others because of how thin you are do not seem like healthy things, whether physicall, emotonally or mentally.

Others will have more experience of such matters than me, but are you able to take a step back and question why this is so important to you?

Sorry if that's a bit personal but I'm concerned for you.

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Hello

I tend to agree with the others here, why did the person tell you you needed to lose weight, who was it, are they an expert in nutrition.

Had a look in my Bob Glover book which has a chapter on performance weight, for a 6'3 guy the target weight is 165lb and the weight range he says would be 150-180lbs. In other words he's saying a minimum weight of 10st 10lb

Where losing weight has its benefits in faster times etc, there comes a point , when the benefits stop and you could be doing your running and your health harm

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Killermiles,

you started this thread saying you needed a big change in training and weight loss to get under your aim of 1hr 20 for a half, but above you seem to have smashed through it already, so does that tell you something now?

And it seems that was a tough cross country course, so no doubt a flat course could yield minutes quicker.

In fact a quick sniff arounf the macmillan calculator suggests that from the 32mins for 10k you have already achieved that a 1hr 11 is the likely outcome!

Does this make you rethink your original idea that weight loss and extra training is necessary?

• I know a guy who weights 170lbs, same height as me and his 5k time is 17'57" - my 5k time is 19'30".

I wouldn't be so concerned with losing weight.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Stevie G www.miles4miles.co.uk wrote (see)

Killermiles,

In fact a quick sniff arounf the macmillan calculator suggests that from the 32mins for 10k you have already achieved that a 1hr 11 is the likely outcome!

Quite.  To be doing as much endurance training as killermiles says he is but to be 8 min down on a half (even allowing for a slower course) suggests that the training isn't working because killermiles is under-fuelled.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭

skinny isnt where its at.

fit, healthy, strong and active is where its at.

I'm less than one BMI point away from being officially overweight.

• Killersmiles,

Something doesn't stack up, dont tell me u run 32min for a 10km, but only 1 hour 19 min half.imageI think you need to sort out your mental state of mind before trying to do some serious running.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

and by the way killermiles....don't take all these posts as a massive stack of criticism and abuse..just a bunch of runners trying to look out for your well being.

you obviously have some very fast times in you, and with the right tweakings and sorting the fuelling issue could be an amazing runner! Just gotta make sure it's sustainable and healthy and no verging on the obsessive, which I know as runners we are all a bit guilty of!

• M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    Did anyone watch "supersize, superskinny" when they had a woman on who was running elite marathon times but had a dreadful diet?  She seemed obsessed with keeping her weight down so she could run fast.  They gave her a better diet with a better balance of foods so she put on some weight and ended up improving her race times. 
  • Stevie G www.miles4miles.co.uk wrote (see

you obviously have some very fast times in you, and with the right tweakings and sorting the fuelling issue could be an amazing runner! Just gotta make sure it's sustainable and healthy and no verging on the obsessive, which I know as runners we are all a bit guilty of!

Exactly what i was thinking.......

Sort out the eating & get a coach before its too late!!!1

This is a strange thread

• M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭

Just read back through the entire thread............... killermiles, you need help.  Your posts suggest that you have food/eating issues that are manifesting in obsessive over training.  You need to get it sorted out asap or you will have long term health problems.

So far you seem to have ignored most of the warnings people have posted on this thread.  I hope I'm wrong, that you have taken the warnings on board and are getting some help.  If not, then please do it asap.  I would suggest starting with your GP and tell him/her everything you're doing.  Exactly what you're eating and exactly how much training you're doing.  Write it all down over a week so you don't forget it.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

My uncontrolled experiment shows that killermiles responds to positive posts (tell me about your times, etc.) but not negative ones.  Not even to say he doesn't agree with me and why. 

My gut instinct says many things aren't adding up.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

you know mr miles can read that joolska lol

Mr W,

Long time no chat. I take it you've lon departed from Buckingshamshire then? Or are recording the longest ever times between visits to the Striders?

• PaulMarshPaulMarsh ✭✭✭

I've not posted here for a while, but my running is doing great. The weight/height debate still rages, but several people think I seem to be about right for my chosen distance. I know that you need mass to store as fuel, but light enough to improve times and distance.

There are several articles I've read stating a normal runner should be 10% underweight, or for more serious runners upto a max of 20% underweight. So my ideal weight should be 11 1/2 stone, now I'm 10 stone dead(ish), that is still not quite 20%, but not far off. So I reckon maybe my ideal finishing and competing weight should be 9st 2, which I think is reasonable and attainable. What do people think here?

I don't mind either type of comments - so fire away...