Skinny or thin?

Comments

• mate - seriously you have got to be kidding. 9 st 2 - I am bl**dy skinny at that weight and I am a 5"5 woman.
  • Holy sh*te I just read the first post and you are 6 ft 3. You will snap in the next strong breeze. That is just scary. It's one thing to be naturally thin and wiry but it sounds like you have set out to get as thin as poss. NOT healthy.
  • http://www.cockeyed.com/photos/bodies/heightweight.shtml

I know I'm skinny at 5'10"/5'11" and 10st. Wish I could put half a stone on. The women at 10st looks good at my weight.

• PaulMarshPaulMarsh ✭✭✭
    In look exactly like the lad at 6ft 4 at 10 stone. But we don't look too bad - I'd rather be at this level than the other extreme.
  • Getting under 10st is a bit too much of a weight loss for you.  I don't agree with some people who are saying they're 6ft and 12st etc and you must look awful etc etc etc.  If you're a distance runner, you are going to be thin.  For 6ft-6ft2 around about 10-11st seems about right.  I'm 6ft2 and weigh 10st - 10st3 (seems to fluctuate).  I've run 1.18 for a half but reckon I'm in more of a 1.15-1.16 shape now.  These times are not that great (in comparison to those that win) because I'm too thin or too fat, but because I've only been running from a zero-fitness level over 2 years.

So maybe it's not that you need to lose weight, but you need to train better.  I'm not sure of your exact training but you have mentioned 3 times a day.  This is not condusive to any quality work at all.  What real quality work are you doing?  Mileage is okay, but not if you're running it all at 7min/mile.  Running twice a day is okay - on easy days perhaps 3 miles in the morning (normally to recover from the previous nights' quality work and then an easy 5-8 miles in the evening.  Three quality days a week works for me:

Mon-PM Easy 7Mi :

Tues-PM 8-10Mi inc. Speedwork (e.g. 12-16x400 on 60s Jog)

Wed-AM VERY Easy 3-4Mi -- PM Easy 5-7Mi

Thurs-AM Easy 3-4Mi --PM 10-12Mi with last 4-5Mi at 10k-10Mi race pace

Fri-AM Easy 5Mi

Sat-AM Long rep session (e.g. 5x2k on 90s Jog) -- PM Easy 3Mi

Sun-AM 13-16Mi

Morning runs are done at 6AM weekdays and 7-8AM weekends.  Evenings are 6-7PM.  In the Summer there is a mid-week track race (1500-3000M) or road race (5k-10k) almost every week.  Running like this also leaves plenty of time to eat - straight after morning runs a big breakfast, snack mid morning, large lunch at 12, snack at 3, dinner and snacks after the evening session.

I'm not saying this is going to be right for you but I def. think the issue is not weight at all.

• Ockam - I LOVE that chart - it's brilliant.  All the ones I clicked on looked so happy.

• GymAddict, you must be happy with your weight. Some are too thin, their clothes donot hang right. Probably even worse if they wore shorts and t-shirt.
  • PaulMarshPaulMarsh ✭✭✭

I've changed my training a little bit - mainly by deleting the midday run as its been too hot and left me fatigued for the evening run - also I been busy at work so unable to.

In the morning I do easy, with some high intensity spurts. I fluctuate on the evening runs from long easy on one day to medium distance but fast next day. A couple of days ago I did 12 miles and the last 4 at I reckon 7 min miles - as our trainer paced us then. The pace was at least 95% of my capacity.

My training is split into 2 areas- Long distance for stamina training for weight control/loss and fast for strength/definition. I would say it's working and I'm very lean, but my thighs are slender, but quite defined. I'm letting my training dictate my body shape.

• Quick question Killermiles. If 7min pace is 95% of your capacity, how are you able to do a 32min  10km race. It doesn't make sense mate. Just how fast are you ????????????????

• PaulMarshPaulMarsh ✭✭✭

Not quite fast enough!image

People still can pass me in a race. boo hoo!

• so what is your racing speed. 7min a mile or 5 min a mileimage
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

6ft to 6ft 2 10-11 stone sounds right? Mr JS?

What kind of anorexia school is this?

I'm probably 11 1/2 at 6ft 1 and to anyone I know I have literally nothing to shave off. Toning/putting muscle on would only add more weight...

However, you're obviously doing something right to be between 1hr 15 to 18...as im a mere 1hr 22 53. Althogh to be fair if i actually did a constant 10miler each week rather than a stack of 4 to 6milers it might help!

• 7min/mile pace is 95% of capacity for a 32min 10K runner???

Im a 33min 10K runner and if I was running at 95% of my capacity it would be nearer 5min/miling!! 7min/miling would be an easy run. You MUST be mistaken. Also wanting to get to 9st 2!! and your 6 foot 3?!? - Im 9st 2 and 5 foot 7 (pretty thin)....You will be in hospital not running

Also to convert a 32 min 10K to 1.19 must mean you dont have the endurance or you blew up badly,  then again you said you have been running high mileage?! you should be doing 1.10-11 off that. 

You have either got confused with the times or your taking the p**s!!!!

Anyway, you can give me some advice on how to run a 32 min 10K. (lol) If you nail the correct training and nutrition as stated above (MrJS schd is good - will should/need to eat loads on that though) you should smash you half time, good luck.

All a bit weird this is  

• That's what I say Peathead1, the number don't make sense. I'm a 34  min 10km runner, and a 2h35min marathoner, and 7 min a mile is a very eay run !!!!!!!!!!!
  • I can't believe you're walking around at 6'4" and 10 st! I'm 5' 8" and 11- 11 1/2! Also I can manage a 7 min mile reasonably comfortably for 6 or 7 miles  and couldn't touch that 10000 or half time so, as the other guys say, that doesn't add up!
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Peahead,

Unless the name on his RW profile is a pseudonym, I'm suspicious about the fact that (as I commented in a previous post) there are no race results on athleticsdata for him.  I'll believe he's running these times when there's some proof.

• Joolska,

Quite agree, he never mentions what any of his races are and his race and training times are jumbled up nonsense. And no sane person in the western world would try aiming to be 9 st when he was 6-3 tall. Could have been an amusing hoax if it wasn't for the danger that other people might think it was sensible to be as underweight as he is supposedly aiming for.

Joe.

• Stevie G - I meant that sort of weight on a general basis of distance runners.  It seems about right when looking at that geographic (or at least there is nothing 'wrong' about it).  If I didn't do any running at all and was still 10st then I realise that would not be ideal. 

I think a lot depends on genetics as well.  Before I started running I had never weighed more that 10st7lb in my life; no matter how hard I tried. 

Generally I just wanted to say that as a distance runner doing 60-80mpw at 6ft-6ft2, between 10-11st is okay, but being consistantly under this sort of weight would not be healthy - and I don't understand why anybody would deliberatly try to get under this bracket in the first place.  If you're running 60-80mpw you need to eat a hell of a lot, and it seemed killermiles was not doing this (i.e. skipping meals etc).

I wasn't advocating that 10-11st was the perfect weight, only that it was not badly underweight as some were saying- if it is your natural build and you are running a lot, make sure you eat a hell of a lot and don't obsess over weight or indeed try and purposefully lose any more.  When calculating BMI you also should note that this measure was introduced on the basis of a sedentry individual.  Body Fat % is the best way of knowing the health of your weight.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I've heard that you need a body fat level of 15% to be healthy.

Your weight scares me as I am 5'10 and 15st.7ilbs. I run a marathon in 4.30-4.40 ish. I've done 9 in the last 22 months. I'm 43.  I would strongly advise against any further weight loss and if you are really that worried ask your GP for advise and see if there is a sports Doctor in the local hospital they can do a full assessment, they may charge. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • According to most sports medicine sources, 6-10% is considered normal for athletes (6 being elite marathoners by the way, not us normos).  10-15% is what a sedentry individual should be. Anything over that is considered 'borderline' overweight by some source - up to 20%.  This % is for men only; women have a slightly higher need. It also tends to vary with age as well.
  • I went to see my Doctor last week, for a check-up and apart from low body weight, I'm in perfect health.

I asked about my weight, but even though I'm quite underweight, it can be expected for someone who has an active job and lifestyle. As I only eat when I'm hungry, I'm keeping my body weight low and a 6% body fat level is attained by the pro athletes. My BMI, even low is not dangerous. Thing is, I've got and always had a small frame, my waist has never gone over 30 inches and is currently 27. See my avatar to get the idea.

I suppose I'll get bigger as I get older, but for now enjoy I enjoy my body and what it can do...

• mate, no disrespect but the avatar is really thin... (you can have a small frame but still have some muscle on it... that's how the pros get body fats of 6% - they all do strength work of some sort)

Just from your postings you seem a little obsessed with weight.  I'll admit to be an ideal racing weight I think I need to lose half a stone (BMI is 21.0 so any non-runner I suggest this to thinks I'm crazy!).  But training needs fuel, if you're running twice a day you've got to eat more than just when you're hungry.  Otherwise, your body will not be able to cope and your training will suffer.

However, as long as medical opinion says you're healthy and you're happy with yourself then fair play! image  Just be careful...

• KM, as an ex-anorexic I am concerned about you. You've indicated a few times a feeling of superiority which you get when you think about your build. I was the same - I'd think 'well, x is prettier than me and y is faster than me, but I'm thinner than the lot of you, so that makes me better'. I'm also getting a feeling from your posts on another thread that you feel like not fuelling yourself before a run gives you almost a sense of purity.

It's almost as if, by starting this debate, you're feeding off comments that you're too thin and the shock of Forumites who are telling you your avatar is alarming.

Your sentiments are ringing massive alarm bells - I'm not being critical of you at all, it's just that you're displaying a lot of the intelligent competitiveness that is common in anorexics. And I wonder how open you were with your doctor about how 'active' you are - because I don't know of many doctors who wouldn't at least raise an eyebrow at the amount of mileage you're doing. Mine was onto me straight away, even with me making every excuse under the sun: 'I do a lot of sport', 'I've had a growth spurt', 'I eat when I'm hungry', 'I'm just naturally slim' etc.

Like many others, I do hope you get some help before you end up with long term health problems. It's a tough slog, but you are worth looking after - you just need to realise that.

• I originally started running as a means to lose weight 2 years ago. Have gone down from an original weight of 16 stone to about 11 8ish now. Im 23 years old and 5ft 7 by the way.

Having come into the sport with this background, I find that my weight has always been forefront in my mind when thinking about improvements in fitness. For example 'to get x minutes off 10k time i need to lose x amount of weight' etc etc. Im glad to say that Im now realising this is not necessarily the case. I believe weight can help to optimise race performance, but it should not be thought of as the defining factor for success. It is wrong to see losing weight as a shortcut to getting quicker.

Im also a big advocate of treating myself every now and then. Think about the mileage you are doing and intensity of the sessions you do. The body (and indeed the mind) should not be constantly punished in such a way without getting some relief. To me there is no greater feeling that I associate with running than getting in from a long sunday run and shovelling in a big roast dinner down my neck. Plus, with the lifestyle I used to lead, it would be wrong for me to expect to start eating like a rabbit all of a sudden. I was virtually a choc-aholic, and still have the occasional relapse every once in a while, but the point is the running takes care of it now image

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

"To me there is no greater feeling that I associate with running than getting in from a long sunday run and shovelling in a big roast dinner down my neck."

Amen!!!

(16st 10 > 11st 7, 37 yrs old, 5'10")  image

• It seems pretty obvious to me that you have a problem. All your posts are about how little you eat and how you think you look great and are in control. You look emaciated in your profile pic and it's not a great look.

From a performance point of view you don't fuel enough doing a 20 plus mile run and then not eating but maybe having a bit of fruit and cereal later on is just incredibly stupid. You may be able to post fast times etc etc but the strain that you are putting on your heart can not be measured by your doctor. Just because you think you are an athlete it doesn't mean that you don't have an eating disorder. Elite athletes don't starve themselves fact. Maybe if you actually provided your body with fuel you may get an even faster time.

I think your username is apt - 'killermiles' that is exactly what they are doing to you.

My advise to you is to seek some professional help and stop hiding behind 'I'm an athlete'

• killermiles wrote (see)

See my avatar to get the idea.

Oh my God.

When you posted on the N&B thread we thought you were a troll and some people were wondering if that's actually you in the picture.  You can't honestly think that's actually attractive?  WTF are you doing posting on a weighloss thread anyway at 6'2" weighing in at 128 pounds (you said on that thread you now weigh 9st2lb).  And the whole nonsense of cycling 112 miles and running26 miles afterwards only because you saw ITB's IM report... but then not eating anything afterwards!!!!!!!  I just have no words for you.