Comments

• Options

To anticipate: It sounds like the hotel choice is between (a) Central (ish) Manhattan – high expense, an early start (to catch the official bus), and hours of exposure - but low stress, rested legs, and an easy return from the race, versus (b) near Staten Island - economy, more sleep (becausae you can go across the ferry yourself instead of catching an official bus), and less exposure - but potentially high stress, time on legs, and a yomp back from the finish.

• Options

Hi there

I am in the ballot for this....not hopeful of getting in to be honest..but you never know.  Have you any idea when they inform you?  Do they just email you or something?

Thanks

• Options

Last year, it was around the middle of the month I think when you found out about the ballot.  I got a rejection email the day after the ballot results appeared on the website.  If it says "not accepted" next to your name, you're not in.

Remember, 3 rejections in a row without entering any other way and you get a guaranteed place the year after.  This year is my third attempt in a row so I'm in this year or next for sure image

• Options

In case it helps... I ran this last year.  It was my 5th marathon, but my first race in North America. I sorted my entry with 2:09 events (very slick and well organised) using their flight-and-entry option. It was an expensive way to do it, but did mean a guraranteed entry. I travelled out with three friends, and we had a brilliant week!

We arranged our own accommodation - at the Novotel on Broadway. It was good - staff were friendly and helpful, hotel clean and comfy, and good venue for exploring Manhattan. Plenty of good eateries int the area, including lots of Italian restaurants (woo... pasta!). One of our cohort stayed in the Sheraton... their foyer was much nicer than ours, but his actual room was tiny and more expensive.

I loved the actual race. It was the bit before that was a nightmare! You get allocated a bus to take you to the start - for all the Brits travelling with 2:09, the bus was at 4.00am... yes... four in the morning! We had to get up at 3am, and queue in the cold for the bus. The journey to the start was a breeze... but then we had to wait for *hours* in the freezing cold. There were a few tents, but they didn't have proper sides to them, so the draught was icy. Whilst tea and coffee was provided, there was no way to get yourself warm. I'm not a wuss, but I almost cried at one point... it was so cold. I talked to others later, who had travelled on the Staten Island Ferry. They'd had a much easier time - didn't have to get up so early, nor spend so long sat around in cold, damp field. I know there is the uncertainty of using public transport, but in retrospect I wish we'd done this as we were absolutely miserable before the race.

Once the actual race began it was *wonderful* and I had a great time. The crowds were fab... the route interesting and challenging (I found the long straights mentally.... interesting!).  However the organisation before left so much to be desired that I wouldn't do it again.

Hope that helps you plan your trip a bit!

• Options
    I read somewhere that ballot results come out on 18 May.  Fingers crossed!
  • Options

Thanks for the info folks.

xx

• Options

You called L'a image

I'm only passing through here... sadly, but I'll be lurkin image

• Options
    I have just read Jothelibrarians post fully...bloody hell, it sounds horrendous!  I am the most nesh person in the world when it comes to cold...dread to think how I would cope being stuck out in the cold for hours.  Are there plenty of toilets?  (my other "issue")image..
  • Options

RP - definitely more toilets than Paris!

We got the SI ferry last time with no problems.  We still got to the start too early, but it was much better than getting the 4 am bus.

• Options

Hi matey! How goes it?

Glad to hear the toilet situation is better than Paris.  What time are you meant to get to the start, and what time does it start?  Did you like it better than Paris Omar?

• Options

Hi RP

Sorry for the tardy response, was at work and got overtaken by events

The organisers want everyone to get on site as early as possible, and give you the impression that you HAVE to catch the bus to the start at the time they tell you to, which if you're unlucky can be as early as 4 am.  This means you could be on site from before 5 am, in the open air, in the dark in November, and not be running until 9:45.

Last time though we ignored the bus instructions and just caught the ferry.  We still set off too early, and were on site for about 7 ish.  Other people got the ferry quite a bit later and didn't get there until about 8:30.  I think the only danger with leaving the ferry too late is when you get off the boat there's a 15 minute bus ride to the start.  I think there can be trouble getting a bus when loads of people are all trying to get one, but I may be wrong on this.

Event-wise, I did prefer it to Paris.  It's better organised (no parked cars en route, wider roads, less congestion), and the crowds are much bigger and a lot more vocal.  I love running through all the different neighbourhoods, the music from the soundsystems is great, and the atmosphere in Central Park is sensational.  Getting goose pimples typing this actually!

Comeback run pencilled in for this weekend.  Should know in the next week or so whether berlin is on or not.

• Options
    In case it's of interest, 2:09 are are running their own bus service to the start, so you should get more of a lie in!
  • Options

Thanks Omar..it sounds amazing.  I did go to NY a couple of years ago for a long weekend, and fell in love with the place, never imagined I might be running the marathon there though! (not that I definately am, but you never know).  I have heard nightmare things about the start and the waiting from a few people,and that is the big thing I am dreading if I do get in....not to mention the cost LOL!

Oh well, it's in the hands of the God's...or the ING people at any rateimage...I will just leave it to fate.

I hope you do alright this weekend Omar....it would be nice to have you on the Berlin thread as well.  Are you hanging around to see Ussain Bolt after the 10k next week?

• Options
    Even with 2:09's own bus won't it still be an early start?  The reason why the busses leave Manhattan so early is because they have to close the bridge to Staten Island to ensure it's ready for the marathon runners.  Fingers crossed I get in the ballot this year and I'll definitely be going for the Staten Island Ferry option I think.  Although if you haven't done the busses before it is a pretty incredible sight seeing 100s of busses lined up down a deserted 5th Ave at 4am in the morning waiting to take everyone to the start!
  • Options
    hello there folks. In the ballot this year for the second time ... not sure I can afford the entry fee if I am sucessful!
  • Options
    SNAP!!image...Was trying to work out the other day how much it would cost for 4 days...flights...accom...spends....*****Shudders at thought******!
  • Options

Hello all.

Flying visit - but will be back in the near future. Have managed to qualify and  have paid the rather large entry fee.

Just having two months 'easy' after Boston and ready to crank it up again at the start of July.

Good luck everyone in the ballot.

• Options

It might be nice if people introduce themselves a little as they become clear that they are going to do NY 2009. As I received confirmation yesterday...

NY (fates willing) will be my 7th marathon. My first 3 were all 3:26. Then I was a couple of minutes slower in Prague. I PB-ed with 3:11 in Berlin last year and PB-ed again with 3:09 in Boston this year - giving me automatic entry to NY (despite Boston being a downhill and therefore 'assisted' course). Hurrah.

I have got in the habit of asking after each marathon, "What one thing is most likely to improve my performance next time?" This time the answer is "cross-training". Thus, I will follow my usual Pfitz plan (up to 55 miles a week, roughly) but add stretching and core and (limited) strength training. At present, I am a very stiff and upper-body-weak 46 year old man. Hopefully, much of that will change soon (but not the man bit).

• Options

Hi,

Well I will follow on, as have booked to do NY. I am 51 and did my first marathon this year in London with a time of 4hr 13. Feel I can achieve a 4hr time given a cooler day, so got to have another go as think I am hooked!!! image

Tricia

• Options
    Hello Tricia. Welcome.
  • Options

Hi folks,

NY will be my 7th Marathon. I started running 4 years ago and ran my first marathon (Edinburgh) badly in May 2006. Convinced I could do better I did Loch Ness later that year and brought my time down from 4.28 to 3.41. Since then I've run Reykjavik, Barcelona, Edinburgh (again) and most recently Boston where I PB'd in 3.13

I managed to qualify for NY on a Good for Age 1/2 of 1.29.02 in Cumbria last October

Like L'a I try and improve and learn from, each race - I averaged 42 miles per week in the 16 week programme for Boston maxing at 70 miles. This was the first race where I didn't cramp in the upper leg and I put that down to the extra mileage and salt in the Gatorade. It feels good to still be learning and improving even though I'm 47  

I'm having two months easy, running 3 or 4 days rather than 6 per week and don't plan any doublers and am racing a few 10ks before building mileage up again in mid July.

NotCat 

• Options
    NotCat. Are you travelling alone and have you come down one side or the other on the hotel debate, i.e., near the start or the finish?
  • Options

Hi All

Entered the ballot for this for the first time and haven't heard anything yet.

Have done 3 marathons to date - London in 07 and 09 and Tokyo last year. Doing Edinburgh at the end of the month and hoping to round off the year with New York (if I get in that is!). 

• Options

Snap...still no word...yet!  I have my doubts I will get in, but would like to be put out of my misery soonimage!

Wow..Tokyo...that's a bit different.

• Options

Hello all.

I'm looking to run the New York Marathon for Cancer Research and they've put me through to 2:09 events. Realised you don't have to book through them and there are plenty of tour operators.

Have started my training - in as much as just carrying on my usual running at this stage with the goal of NY in mind! - but really just want the peace of mind of having my place sorted.

Want to go with 2-3 other people and stay for up to 10 days.

Also, want as much of a lie-in on the day itself as poss - who doesn't?!!

So can anyone recommend the best way to do this with a decent cost-comfort balance? Was even thinking about maybe QEII over there and plane back?

ALSO, having run 3:43 in my only marathon so far (London 2006), want to aim for sub-3:30 - can anyone recommend a good training guide?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

• Options
    Get a hotel near the finish! It's manic at the end and it took me hours to get back to my hotel as all the cabs were taken.
  • Options

Gosh. Hello everyone!

Pineappleflakes. I would be interested to heat about Tokyo. Did you post a race report anywhere?

Pineappleflakes and Redpanda. I seem to remember that they won't even hold the general ballot until the end of May. The date's on the website, I think. I guess it'll be a day or few after that that people will be notified. Good luck!

Hill Hunter. Great (but particularly expensive-sounding) travel plans. Best of luck with that. Sadly, I can only get away for the weekend. Good luck with the sub-3:30 too. I cannot recommend Pfitzinger & Douglas' Advanced Marathoning too highly. As they say in my running shop, "everyone who uses that reaches their goals".

Tortie T. Many thanks for the advice. I've seen a few people with tales of woe like yours, who also make the same recommendations as a result. However, I am a little bit cautious because I have never seen a post by anyone who has actually done what you recommend and can confirm that it is, in fact, the best option. Anyone?

• Options

L'a - still some debate in the NotCat house as to whether Mrs NotCat and the small NotKittens are coming or whether the older NotKittens will be accompanying me. I'm looking at hotels nearish the finish - I'm not bothered about being right by the finish as I like a long walk after finishing - it helps my recovery. 

Pineappleflakes - Edinburgh is a pretty straightforward course except I've b@llsd up twice there - once due to ridiculous heat and once partly due to headwind but more likely lack of recovery between marathons. It is as fast a course as I've ever come across but I've run it slower than anywhere else. I also subscribed to Advance Marathoning - more so around two years ago as I've now built my own plan up that I refine after each marathon. Its basically built around three key sessions per week. One will be speed repetitions of anywhere between 200 metres and 5 minute, one will be a sharpish run around 6 or 7 miles at marathon pace and then the ubiquitous long run which I'll build up to four such runs over 20 or 21 miles. The rest will be recovery runs or some nice runs to build the miles between hard sessions.

HillHunter - I think the QE2 as was has been sold off but there is a replacement. I was thinking of travelling by more conventional and cheaper means. ie direct flight from Edinburgh

Tortie T  - I do find the organised tour a bit dear as you can get a hotel in Central NY and flights for less than £600. I seem to remember last year if you wanted a charity place you had to go through 2.09 - I lost out in the ballot last year and didn't enter by any other means.  

• Options

PS L'a - I am still very envious of your CITGO photo from Boston. I got 31 photos from Boston and they were all pretty poor. There were one or two where I looked like I was moving with some momentum but I could have been anywhere in the world and none of them have any discernable background. I have succumbed to temptation and orderd the DVD though.

I thought the CITGO sign was a thing of great beauty.

• Options

NotCat- I hope you manage to get the whole NotLitter on board. Stupidly (in the sense that I was in my 20s before I even went abroad - to France), the L'ardettes - aged 14 and 11 - have been to New York twice already (and Boston, and the West coast...). It's not such a big deal them not coming this time, therefore - as long as I buy a(nother) skateboard and a(nother) American Girl doll. And they say running is cheap: "All you need is a good pair of trainers". "My ar$e", as a mutual friend might say.

I too like a walk after the finish, but that's a different thing from a schlep across the whole city by public transport, and I'm also not keen on spending 4-5 hours in an exposed military base. Decisions, decisions.

I empathise with your envy. It is a cool photo and no mistake. And I agree: the sign is a thing of great beauty. Maybe I'll bump into you in Moma...

Oh, and yes, I tweak Pfitz, too. But it is definately Pfitz that is being tweaked.