New York Marathon 2009

Comments

• Good luck everyone and I hope to meet you on Sunday.

Just waiting for my taxi to the station.image

• Went Expo yesterday - could've spent a fortune, but restrained myself !  Feels a little closer now I have my number.  Think it is pschological but my heel and knee are feeling pretty bad, and the walking I did y'day didn't help, looks like a few lazy day for me!

Trin JayZ played at yankee stadium last night and there is a rumour that they may replace Frank Sinatra New York, New York with JayZ/Alecia Keys as the official Yankee song.  Its getting a lot of air / tv time either way, and I don't even have it on my iPod yet !!

Still very nervous at the prospect of Sunday, and haven't run at all since last Saturday, not wanting to make the niggles any worse... Sure I'll be up for it Sunday, and just have to hope my body is too!

• ps.  I will be fine to take a few ibuprofen Sun morn before the race and then a couple on the way round won't I?   Am paranoid about everything these days, even the effects of a few ibuprofen!!
  • Hi all!!!!!!!!

The Gas-Folk and friends are here, beautiful day in NY, just had breakfast at v expensive hotel, preceded only by phonecall from credit card company questioning some recent transactions lol!!  Life not without some drama, me (Mrs GM) have been floored by horrendous cold, was petrified I would get bumped off flight, plenty of other runners on it from Edinburgh, hopefully no-one else infected.  Chances of running on Sunday I would say are about 75%, much improved although official handbook says I shouldn't.  Have realistic view of aiming only to finish though.

2:09 events run on as we speak will hear back from some of our group who are running.  Mr GM got running number for wave one local, competitive runners, thinks it's good for age half marathon time! Not that I expect to see much of him except his back, briefly!!  No bad thing though, he'll be wearing his unfeasibly tight and lurid runner's world pirates gear, mucho mortified!

Usual dramas on the home front, kids have tonsillitis and boiler is leaking oh dear image

KMac, we had this very conversation last night, ibuprofen is NOT advised before the race, it can affect kidney function, best stick to paracetamol or the local equivalent.

Looking forward to seeing as many of you in O'Lunneys as humanly possible, have fun in NY!!

Mrs GMimage

• How could this be an after thought?  Trin , massive thanks for all your efforts, remind me what type of gatorade you need and I will stock up for you!!!!!!!!!  Good luck with the op, you're a star!!image
  • Thanks Mrs GM. Was thinking ibuprofen coz of its anti-inflammotory abilities.  Paracetamol probably wo't do much for my poor kness, but defo won't be taking ibuprofen after what you hve said, so thanks.

Trin, yes, let us know, I'll stock up on Gatorade for you too if you like.  Hope hospital be is fairly comfy image

• ps.  went for cheap food last night in Applebees and I just happened to be staring out at O'Lunneys so I now know where it is.  Will hopefully make it.
  • Am I the only one still in Blighty?!

Sounds like everyone is aclimatising nicely over there. I on the other hand am still working away and not due to fly until tomorrow morning. The finale of several months of training, large amounts of fundraising and a fair sum of my own cash now rest squarely with BA's ability to get me to JFK such that I can make it to the Expo in time (not to mention simply wanting to be in a calm, relaxed state come tomorrow evening).

Am mentally prepared for Sunday, but in practice am hopelessly behind. Still need to do my traditional running gear fashion show for thegirlnice later this evening, but remain hugely undecided on what to wear come Sunday. Forecasts I've seen still say reasonably warm with chance of rain? Think I'd probably take that given what it could do.

Anyway, best of luck to everyone for the big day. Looking forward to sharing pints, soreness and war stories with many of you in the boozer come Sunday afternoon.

• Theboynice- you prob don't want to hear this but to get through immigration took about 45 mins today. There was then a further delay queuing to get through customs. Add travel to manhattan and I think you'll be cutting it close. Hope you make it to the expo though.

After waiting over an hour for the hotel shuttle bus I am finally ensconsed in my huge room fortifying myself with a much needed cup of tea ( heated in a microwave which is a bit gross). Feel like crap as couldn't sleep last night and am very much looking forward to going to bed. Delighted the hotel has free wifi as at least I'll be able to find somewhere to eat tonight.
  • Result - just been to the Crown Plaza to see the Marie Curie people who have got me onto the 6.30 bus to the start (as opposed to the 5am one I had been allocated by the marathon organisers).

Last gentle run this morning and the park looked a picture with the fall colours and bright sun,..

• Achingcalves - where did yoy find the Marie - Curie people in the CP? I'm staying there and would also be interedted in hopping on a 6.30am bus.

Have had the warning about Ibuprofen which I was going to take to deaden my rib pains but instead have got the stuff recommended out here whose brand name begins with T and it contains something like Acenti...........

Ran a six miler today including the first mile and half in Central Park up to the bottom of the park - It seemed much more undulating than the course profile. There were thousands of runners out. I felt ruddy awful, in pain with heavy legs and no energy. I quite often get my 'i've forgotten how to run' disease about now but today that wasn't the case. It was more the discomfort of my side.

Some great posts in the past few days with anticipation and fear going neck and neck! Ta to Trin for the top words of wisdom. Good luck with the op and a speedy recovery!

• L'ard have you been advised that Tylanol is ok to take.  I seriously need to take something with an anti infalmmatory in it prior to start and keep a couple with me for when the need occirs on the way round.  Any ideas?  Maybe I'll venture into a pharmacy tomorrow and see what they have to say...
  • NotCat - the Marie Curie people are in a room just to the left of the lifts behind the lobby desk. I am running for them (independently) and asked them to get me on the bus as a favour.

• Hi all,

This time tomorrow........

Arrived in NYC yesterday and have been floored by a massive cold/sore throat.  Stocked up on various medicines from Duane Reade but it's not shifted yet  image  Fingers crossed it's just a 24 hour thing, as I didn't do all that training for nothing!!

Doing a very gentle 2 mile jog in the park, followed by expo this morning to pick up my race number. 

Best of luck for everyone for tomorrow, and thanks Trin for the virtual cheerleeding image

• That's crap Daisy. Hope you feel better come the morning.

Don't forget everyone that the clocks go back here today. Good news is, it's an extra hours rest.
  • Got here yesterday and I was supprised how quick I got through US Customs and across to the hotel. I got the number and bought a few t-shirts and the really cool yellow ING rain jacket.

No running for me, bacon and eggs for breakfast and then I boat trip around NY. I am trying to keep off my feet. It makes me laugh when people say the have not run for a week and are really worried...... I have not run since the 13th Sept! Just gpoing to try and get around and hope it all holds up. I have to finish as I now have the new expensive jacket.

Good luck to all tomorrow and see you at O'lunneys

• Seriously lazy day on the cards today - small trick or treating tour planned with the kids around the upper east side mansions but otherwise completely chilled.

I would love to hook up @ 6pm @ o'lunneys but need to agree what the rest of the family has planned for the evening.

Trin hope you are OK post-op and thanks for your cheer-leading.

Ill and injured people - DD,NC, Mrs GM etc - I hoping you feel OK by tomorrow.

Lastly - good luck for the race everyone - enjoy the day, love the crowds and hang tough for those last two miles through the park.

• Chaps!

I'm guessing I may be too late to catch most of you; been here since Sunday and not much access to email. Sadly I cant make tomorrow at 6pm as have family stuff, but just wanted to jump on to say:

Those wondering about ferries: I was told that all the ferries are full, if I want to try and get on one that I'm not booked on, I can *try*, but it's a dangerous chance, and they highly recommend you don't. I am usually one to throw caution to the wind in any situation, but she was so adamant, that I have decided to play it safe and get my poxy 6am bus (I'm not starting till 10.20am!). I have been to a thrift store and bought myself several layers to wear then discard at the start.

Those with injuries/illnesses: hope you feel better soon, thinking of you.

TRIN - My goodness! That cheer was AMAZING, so inspiring! I have printed it out and am going to look at it a lot today, then again tomorrow morning. You are an absolute hero and I can't thank you enough for the amazing support. It really means so much and will get so many of us through. Good luck re the op.

Everyone:

GOOD LUCK!!!!! I am dedicating the latter miles to different friends and family, and I have decided to dedicate mile 15 to all the people who've helped me - including you! I will be thinking of you all as I cross the Queensboro bridge. I know it's a tough bit, so I'm counting on you to get me across it! To remember whose mile is which, I'll have a piece of material with it all written down, so if you see someone consulting a what looks like a snotty hankerchief covered in scribbles, that's me!

I can't remember who it was (was it MittyBob?) that taught us

Does it hurt? - Yes

Am I Stopping? - No

but THANK you - that's already helped so much and will continue to!

Chaps, it's going to be great!

Good luck and I'll see you on the other side

xxxmt

• Thank you thank you!!... you just made me all emotional.. you're brilliant!!

I'm good, surgery went well, had a lot of morphine, which made it easier. I came home today and now resting up thinking of you guys... really excited for you!!

You get out there and run... I'll be right with you...cheering all the way image

gas-man and Kmac... The sports drink was Gatorade Endurance, very grateful if you could get some and I will reimburse image

Remember... when it gets tough... know that you are tougher! image

• Trin that's great news, please all went well.  Don't rush back out there too soon!  WIll scope out Gatorade Endurance monday / tuesday and mail you before I purchase so i have as much as you want and correct flavours etc.

DD hope you are feeling better - we are meeting in the lobby of our hotel (Carlton - Madison between 28&29th) at 7am if youwant to travel down with us?

• Just posting before hitting the sack, early start in the morning at 5am!!  It has been raining tonight, but forecast gives it to clear for tomorrow.  Ran the International friendship run this morning, it was warm today about 70c, hopefully cooler tomorrow.  Update tomorrow afternoon.
  • Hoping that there's a problem with the email notifications rather than my team... missing reports from Tricia from 10k and L'a from 20k ... getting worried

• Ok, I take it all back. Stood at mile 23 and to my surprise it's on a bloody great hill. Not too steep but pretty long. Paula looked wrecked and in 4th place when I saw her in central park.
  • Tortie.. I only have times for NotCat

times for Tricia stopped at 5k, L'a and mittyB stopped at 15k... do you have any info on anyone? image

• I think I'm right with NotCats time at 3:09:54... PB!! Brilliant, nice pacing all the way... well done! image
  • I wasn't tracking anyone Trin. Hope everyone had a good race.
  • Looks like there was a problem witht  the email alerts as people only got mine for 5 and 10K.  Managed to finish in 3:46 hapy enough due to the restrcted training I had.  That hill on 5th avenue before entering cenrtral park was a killer.  More later.
  • Cheers Trin 

Race went brilliantly - felt great through 22 but that mile uphill on 5th avenue was tough and then I cramped as we left Central Park.

Inspired by hearing band in Brooklyn playing Laid by James.

Going for tea and then will try and find O'Looneys

• Hello - think I will sneak out to o looneys - 3.19 clocked for me - pb by 24 minutes....last mile ran in 7.18!

Well done NotCat

• Sorry guys - flying out @ 8am and packing duties mean a no show at the bar...I have a beer in front of me tho' cheers to all of you!!!