New York Marathon 2009

Comments

• Went to O'Lunneys on 45th and then onto the one on 50th but couldn't find anyone. Confused some French runners and some English non-runners who must have assumed I was on some kind of blind date. Then managed to offend a Scot in the second O'Lunneys by asking if she was English.

Achingclaves well done indeed on a huge PB and running 7.18 up those last hills is r*ddy good going

Walked miles this afternoon up and around Central Park and bak to Times square and then had an ice bath. Feel surprisingly alert and non-sore.

• I turned up at the pub just after 6 but soon left after my conversation with the hostess:

hi, can I help you?
    I'm meeting some people here for a drink.
    Sure, go in and see if you can find them.
    Well, I don't know what they look like.
    Oh, ok. Well maybe they booked a table. What are their names?
    Um, I don't know that either.

Looking forward to hearing how everyone did. Well done Nocat and Achingcalves on those excellent times.
  • Well I did it, got round inside my target (which to be fair was a rather slow 4.59.59), still for a first (and probably only) attempt am well pleased with my 4.46.46 image

Have always loved New York, although admittedly that has been for Manhattan. but now love Brooklyn and the Bronx too - still undecided on Staten Island and Queens...

Well done Rower, L'a, NotCat and Achingcalves.  Hope you are not too sore, and have a safe journey home...

• Well done all!

Now back home. I got round in 3h34, just over my 3.30 aim, but the course was about 4 miles too long for me! Really enjoyed it though.

Happy recovery everyone!

• Yayy... great results coming in from my team!!!

I'll start a list

NotCat... 3:09:54 (PB)
    Rower... 3:46 (PB?)
    achingcalves... 3:19 (Huge PB!)
    KMac... 4:46:46 (Brill 1st marathon PB!)

and I've had some athlete alert reports now...
    L'ardvaak... 3:01:04
    Trish... 4:15:55

Going by the splits from both of you that last 10k looked tough!

Great running from all of you!
    Really pleased for you guys... image
    Looking forward to hearing all about it!

• Well done Champagne! Was that a PB?

Champagne... 3:34

and I've had some athlete alert reports...
    L'ardvaak... 3:01:04
    Trish... 4:15:55

• I managed a time of 3:24 which is my best this year but not an overall PB. Last 6 miles from the Bronx to the finish was especially tough. Pleased with my time though as it was 30 mins quicker than when I ran NYC in 2007, and also faster than my Edinburgh and Berlin times this year and this is a much tougher course.

Did anyone else miss their wave start? I was in wave 1 at 9:40am and arrived at my corral about 9:10am only to find it had closed at 9:05am! I had to wait for wave 2 in the end but just wish they had made the closing time for wave 1 more clear - it wasn't in the handbook and the PA was still announcing wave 1 as being open when I left the bag drop. There were loads of us trying to get in after it closed and some resorted to jumping the fences!
  • Great time over a difficult course kiwidave!

kiwidave... 3.24

L'ardvark... 3:01:04
    Trish... 4:15:55 (only 2 minutes outside PB but on a tougher course!)

• It was a NYC marathon PB, as I did it half an hour quicker than in 2004!

But no, my PB is Berlin 2007 3.22.

• We were also at the restaurant, wandered round a bit and asked various strangers "Are you the Runners World group?"!

Hope everyone had a good time yesterday - congrats to all the amazing results listed above.

This was my second marathon, I improved my time by 40 seconds!

Exactly the same mistake as last rime - went out too fast, and crept home the last few km.

But chuffed to pieces, anyway: 3:31:53.

Greetings,

George Farrants.

• tiptree... tsk... I did remind everyone about that in my last pep talk! But you're forgiven, early pace in a big marathon event is one of the most difficult things to get right... I've made the same mistake plenty of times too. You'll master it! Great time too!!

kiwidave... 3.24
    tiptree... 3:31:53 (PB)

• Hi everyone

Just a quick post for now as i'm off to do some shopping!

Managed to get aroung inside my 3 hour goal time, with a time of 2:58;43 My fisrt marathon so I was sure to PB. Felt great up to around 19 miles but then I really struggled. I think I got a bit carried away on 1st Av with all the crowds. Just managed to hang on but was getting overtaken all the time by people I had past by earlier on.

Feeling really stiff this morning but i'm hoping my walk around the shops will liven my legs up a bit!

• MWilson... Great time for your first marathon!! Well done! image

kiwidave... 3.24
    MWilson... 2:58:43 (Superb 1st marathon PB)

• Oh my god, I think I've just died and gone to heaven. Has anyone in NY come across Cinnabon? I've just stuffed 4 pecan bites and they are the best thing I've ever eaten.

Trin- I've had no luck finding gatorade yet but am in the mall at the mo so will have a final look. My suitcase weighed 10kg on the trip here but is now so heavy I can hardly lift it.

Seriously impressed with these times. If you have time Trin perhaps you could add their target
    times for comparison?
  • Just got back fom New York.Found the course tough but the crowd were very impressive.I did 2.46.12 which i am quite pleased with.I did 2.38.51 at Berlin 6 weeks ago but since then i have developed patellar tendonitis and ran NY with diclofenic painkillers.Have to say well done everyone on their pbs you have my utmost respect especially on a course like that.!!
  • gary... wow, that's an amazing time!! Impressive!

kiwidave... 3.24
    gary jones 17... 2:46:12

Still waiting to hear from L'a and Trish... hope you're ok, and just out enjoying NY image

Tortie... no worries on the Gatorade Endurance if you can't find it... thanks for trying though x Will try and find the list of times later... kids need food image

• Thanks for the cheer leading Trin..

..shame about the screw up with the rendez-vous - it is a long day tho...

Will read back on the thread but well done for some good racing and excellent times...

• Hi all

Been back in the house for about 30 mins and confronting various stressors to do with things I think have been stolen from my luggage and the huge amounts of work tomorrow that I feel under-prepared for.

Been without ability to post on the internet or send emails the whole time in NY. Very frustrating. Bare facts for now, then. Athlete alert is correct (plus or minus a second) for me. Went off very fast, sort of deliberately. Then ran by feel from about 2 miles. Never looked at my Garmin. Realised sub-3 was theoretically possible at the half, but also that I would slow as always, especially with the hills. Clock times at 20 and 22 confirmed that sub-3 was possible just by running at my 'normal' rate. Then I got cramp at 23. Got over it and started running again. Then the other leg had a turn at 24. Ran progressively faster after that, really quite pushing it for the last mile. Had loads of puff, energy, legs, etc. I reckon that the cramps had me stopped still for about 2 minutes in total. So sub-3 seems feasible on a kinder course, perhaps with taking supplements my Yankee chums recommend (S!caps or Salt Sticks, both unavailable n Europe).

Level of support in NY is very impressive and the course is a veritable tourist trip. Really enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone - anyone who doesn't mind a lot of concrete, that is.

Very happy with my about 8-minute PB. Have I mentioned that I am old?

NotCat (in particular) - sorry I didn't make it to the bar. By the time I got back to my hotel (in NJ), I simply couldn't face heading out again. I will buy you a drink one day, I promise. London? Chicago? Congrats on your PB.

Tortie. I rang you in the hotel but you were out when I tried. I know I still owe you a drink.

Everyone - congrats on some great times. Gary! KMac! Achingcalves! Tiptree! MWilson!!! Everyone else, too. I really like and respect (nearly all) marathon runners, and that's the truth.

Trin - Congrats on the operation. I wish you a full and speedy recovery. I know you will be ambitious but sensible. Best of luck on your rematch with the po-lease. Thanks for all your support. You know we all appreciate it very much. And I personally have become very fond of you, my funny little imaginary friend.

• No worries L'Ardvark, I was never in my room. What did you think of the hotel? I was pretty impressed for the £ and would stay there if doing the marathon. For a trip that was manhattan based it meant spending 2 hours a day on the train as I did the trip twice each day.

Still no news from mittybob?
  • L'a... that's a bliddy great PB! Shame you just missed out on the sub 3, but next time buddy... next time image
    The athlete report thing stopped at about 15k for you and I got all worried... pacing the floor and everything I was! But the whole thing came through for both you and Trish some hours after you all would have finished and I was very relieved!

It's a shame you guys didn't get to meet up... similar to what happened in Boston LOL But it's difficult when you're in a foreign city all with different time schedules.

Really proud of my little team image But if MittyB doesn't check in soon I'll start pacing again...

kiwidave... 3.24
    L'ardvark... 3:01:04 (PB)

and I had athlete alert report

• Hey, well done everyone - some great times.   I had to carry over my guaranteed place to next year as I have just moved to Germany with my job and the timing was just not right.   2010 will be my 5th NYCM so I'll look forward to that one.   I watched the race courtesy of the 'red' button on BBC2.   The coverage and commentary was O.K. and good that the Beeb covered it.   Shame about some of the comments about Paula on other forums on RW, some are very harsh!   She is still our top female marathon runner and it's a shame that some of us are just happy to knock others!   Apart from that, well done New Yorkers and now enjoy the time you have left there to enjoy one great city.   Best Wishes.
  • Hi Tone,

Excellent coverage by the Beeb and superb commentary, as usual by Veronique Marot. She is so superior to Cram and Foster.

I think it is disgusting the way some posters have been slagging of Paula. Finishing 4th whilst suffering from tendonitus, is truely amazing. How many RW runners, whilst fully fit, could run sub 2hrs 30mins. Very few, I suspect. It is usually the couch potatoes who are most verbal in their criticism.

• Hi Terry,

Totally agree with you about the 'Let's bash Paula' comments on some of the other RW forums in the last couple of days.   Wish I could run that fast!   I also thought the BBC commentary was refreshing but there are some very nasty comments about Veronique on another RW forum today!   What's wrong with some people!

Must dash for a shower, just back from a fast 6 miler here in Bielefeld all off road.

• I have read those comments Tone. Some people are just ignorant and best ignored.
  • Negative comments about Paula are ridiculous - the people in the US are in awe of her and celebrate her achievement as the 'greatest female marathon runner' (a quote from the event brochure)  more than we do.

That is one tough course - even the elite times are all 3-5 mins slower than faster courses - so to finish 40 seconds behind with tendonitis is amazing. Imagine if Paula were fully fit!

• Hi All

Have had a look at this thread a few times over the last few months but seemingly never got round to posting. Well done to all who ran on Sunday. Only the second marathon for me but managed to beat my London time by 11 mins to do a 3 hrs 27 mins and kind of hoping it may be the start of some kind of steady upward curve for me!

Had a fantastic time out there and thought the support was fantastic, topped off by MC Hammer's "U Can't Touch This" while trying to speed up in the Bronx. Have also seemingly developed a habit of talking to myself while running up hills but it didn't seem to do me much harm.

• Tortie - just to let you know that Cinnabon are also in the U.K.   I've seen one in Leicester Square, London.   I tasted my first in South Africa and also thought I'd died and gone to heaven.  They have a website where you can see where there is a franchise.

Well done to everyone who did so well.  I'm dead jealous.  Maybe next year...........

• Oooo, yogajoga; you've just made me very happy! I work in London 2 days a week so will be sure to visit them. Yummy.
  • Hi everyone.

It's great reading how well everyone got on not only during the marathon but also during the entire trip. I for one, had a great time away with my wife and family of supporters. As race day approached, and my feet hurt from too much walking up street after street and down avenue after avenue, I was a little worried that I wasn't nervous about the big day. I was pretty relaxed througout, even during the run and the hills didn't really bother me, they just spurred me on. The Queensboro bridge climb was the toughest; no crowds, just the sound of feet and heavy breathing. After that, it was a case of take it all in and "gut it out" as one New Yorker screamed. Got to the tape in 03:05:09 and despite no sub 3 Hrs, I was pleased as if I won the thing.

Sorry, I didn;t get to the bar - I did a L'ard thing, and went back to the hotel by bus in NJ, had a shower and relived my glory (in my head). Only had enough energy to go out locally for a beer with the family.

Well done everyone, it's been a pleasure living the NY marathon dream. Anyone up for Chicago next year? image

• Paul... another great result... well done!! A time to be proud of image

kiwidave... 3.24
    L'ardvark... 3:01:04 (PB)
    Paul Ward 13... 3:05:09

and I had athlete alert report