New York Marathon 2009

Comments

• I am now a convert to Lemon and Lime Gatorade Trin...

So who is running London next year?

• I'm running London for the 2nd time. Luckily I've been offered a place through my running club. 

Was it Lemon & Lime Gatorade in those cups at every mile? It certainly didn't taste bad at all, much easier to drink than Luzoade sport which can be too sweet. I just about manged to get a mouthful before spilling the rest down me every time.

• It would have been Gatorade Endurance formula, which is different to the Gatorade you get in the UK. You can't get the Endurance Formula over here. It's great stuff because it has extra sodium and potassium added... brilliant for marathons and ultras!

Speaking of which, I won't be running London next year because I have a little 100 mile event the day before... The Devon 100 image

• The NY marathon people deserve massive thanks from all of us. Having drinks and water every mile was fantastic, thye crowds were brilliant and the pepole of NY over the last few days has been fantastic. I even got a free drink on the plane beacuse I had run the marathon.

This is the best marathon I have ever run. I need to take a year out of marathons to try and get my foot OK, but i will be trying to get into NY again.

• btw how do we go abou getting photos from the day?
  • The photos should be ready later today according to the handbook.

http://www.brightroom.com/ingnycmarathonphotos/

• djwolfdjwolf ✭✭✭

Thanks Trin for all your encouragement and support, much appreciatedimage

achingcalves, yes I will be running VLM (injuries aside), 5 times rejected so auto placeimage

Cheers L'ardvark for creating a useful, enjoyable, informative forum, cheers everyoneimage

• Thanks for the thanks, djwolf. My pleasure, honestly.

I'm doing London, although I suspect I won't be using RWOL UK much in the run up to it. Too many "How many miles is it again?" type questions.

There are some fabulous photos from the NY mara here:

http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html/sports/20091101-marathon-finish-line/?ref=sports

(#31 is my NY buddy "Footloose" (Rick), provider of so much useful info in the run-up to NYC) 

I won't be posting here many more tiimes. Congratulations everyone and thanks for making this forum the lovely place it was. Speedy and strong recoveries to all who need them most. Trin - stay in touch, good luck with everything, and look after yourself. NotCat - I have no doubts our paths will cross again. Maybe I'll even get to meet you one day!

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love, and understanding?"

• And it is farewell from me to the New York Marathon class of 2009.

Thanks L'A for starting the forum, thanks to Trin for the support and well done again to all of you for some great running and great support on this thread in the run up to the race.

AC

• *sniff.. sniff* image

I'm gonna miss you guys...

I'll hang around here until you've all gone and then have a last tidy up and leave myself

Take care dj, L'a and AC xxx

• It’s been fun people. I’m also doing London (as long as injury stays away) and am building the mileage back up. Can barely manage 5 miles at a snails pace at the mo and am breathing like a 92 year old with asthma but it’s improving. I met a man in the immigration queue on Friday who told me he had spent the last year running a marathon every month. I asked him about his times and he claimed they were actually improving each month (hovering around the 3:20 mark). Interesting. Will keep looking out for Mittybob's time.......
  • Well, back in the UK, and it's all over.  What a great first marathon (so pleased I picked the biggest and best for it), and despite my protestations before that it would be my only one, I'm not so sure any more!!

Thanks guys.

K x

• KMac... you can't stop now... you're a marathon runner! image

• Some great times recorded and smashing PBs.  I was on pace for 3:21 at the half way mark which would have been a PB.  Really struggled from 18 onwards, firstly a stomach cramp and then the legs just left me.  Once you take your first walk stop you know it will be hard to finish.  Finished in 3:45 but looking back it was still a good time, my training was interrupted and not enough, picked up a sore throat the week before and still suffering with it.  Was also nearly mangled by a local who decided to cross throught the runners somewhere around 19/20 pushing her trolleyimage thankfully I avoided falling overwise she might have been pushing me to the finish line.  As others said the crowds support was amazing - would have loved to have stopped and listened longer to some of themimage.  I was in o'lunneys on 45th around 8pm and met a friend I'd arranged to meet, didn't see anyone else.  It was a grea marathon to have your name on your t-shirt, the crowds never stopped calling out, especially if you run on the edges.  Didn't see any problems in my starting coral (wave 1 green D) seen people been let in even when we were moving off to the lower deck of the bridge.  Did anyone else see the guy in a  wheelchair going backwards, looked like he was blind as well - he had several walkers with him.  This marathon will live along time in the memory - will maybe even try and get back again and give it a real good bash from a proper full training schedule.

• Hi everyone,

Back from NYC what a weekend!  Mrs GM had 'flu and we didn't think she would get to the start line but she did and got round in 5:22.

I managed 3:42 and was captured on film, that's me in pirate kit at the start of the link that L'ardvark posted on page 71.

Thanks for the cheers from the pirate support crew, early on in Brooklyn and at about 25 miles in central park.

Can I state now that I'm never running a 'stand alone' marathon ever again, it hurts too much! back to IM racing next year.

Bring on Ironman Germany!

• I've had my first run tonight since Sunday and did the sensible thing and took it easy. I'd also like to thanks everyone for being so great with the words of wisdom, support and general all round good eggs! Hopefully we'll do it again sometime. Looking forward to it already.

• Rower... well done, that's a great time, everyone who I've spoke to about NY says that the last 10k is tough, especially when you're tiring anyway. I bet you'd PB at Boston image

NotCat... 3:09:54 (PB)
    Rower... 3:46 (PB?)
    achingcalves... 3:19:54 (Huge PB!)
    KMac... 4:46:46 (Brill 1st marathon PB!)
    Champagne... 3:34
    kiwidave... 3.24
    tiptree... 3:31:53 (PB)
    MWilson... 2:58:43 (Superb 1st marathon PB)
    gary jones 17... 2:46:12
    L'ardvark... 3:01:04 (PB)
    Paul Ward 13... 3:05:09
    Kaygee... 4:39:06 (PB)
    Hudds Dave... 4:32
    Dougie Waller... 3:42:42
    theboynice... 3:12:49 (PB)
    surreystrider... 4:14:30
    djwolf... 3:30:05
    Mrs Wolf... 4:37
    Tricia... 4:15:55
    Rower... 3:45

• gas-man... great stuff... well done! Good luck with the IM image

Mrs gas-man... poor you, that must have been tough! I'm really impressed with your time considering you was ill so close to the marathon... get plenty of echinacea and take care now, your immune system will be down anyway, without the knock it had from the flu x

kiwidave... 3.24
    gas-man... 3:42
    Mrs gas-man... 5:22

Still waiting for mittybob image

• Hi guys! Back from NYC this morning and have just been reading up on this thread! Firstly, well done to everyone - very impressive results! I was over the moon with my 3:48:56 for my first marathon having only started running this time last year! Felt great past half way but stomach was starting to cramp so I eased off a little to make sure I made it home without stopping! The crowds were amazing and when things were getting tough it was a great boost to hear them cheering you on! The marathon definately lived up to expectations!! Even days afterwards random people would congratulate you upon seeing that you were wearing marathon branded gear! I'm sort of in a position now were I don't know what to focus on now. I don't see any attraction to smaller local marathons after running in NYC so will have to have a think about 'what next'?? Thanks again to all on this thread & thanks NYC!!!

David

• Just a 'heads up' to anyone that may have already entered the lottery for the 2010 NYC Marathon.

I entered on Tuesday and the only fees mentioned were as follows: -

Processing Fee
    US $11
    This fee is required for all applicants. This payment is non-refundable and will be processed when we receive your application.

It also mentions that upon acceptance the entry fee will be charged immediately which I expect will be when the lottery results are announced early next year.

However, upon randomly checking my bank accounts I see that over £128 has been taken which is eqivilent to the full entry in dollars!! NYRR will be getting a 'nice' email tonight! Just thought I'd share this in case it affected any of you!

David

• I just looked up mittybob’s number and it says finish time 4:20:30. That’s pretty impressive given the lack of training.
  • Just like to say Ive enjoyed everyones posts and words of advice and encouragement. Special mention to Trin on some great cheerleading.

Some very impressive times being posted here.

Well i got round in 4.40.13 which is 22mins faster than my old PB.image

IWhat do we now?

• Hi All, I'm back (and I did finish before dark on Sunday).

Well just a recap of the trip really, it was an experience.  Got up at 5:30 on Sunday and down for the 6:30 ferry.  By the time I had got to the green area I only had a 10/15 minute wait before the corrals were open.  I sat with a brit who lives ine NY and another visitor and had a chat about stuff and then went to the corral (where I had the longest wait of the morning).  Got rid of my old jeans - had plenty of paranoia as to whether I had remembered to actually put my shiorts on underneath !! - and jumper and then shuffled round.  Cannon went off and then I was over the line within 2 ro 3 minutes.  Really amazed at the number of folks and the lack of crowding as well.  Over the first long bridge and I was going nice and steady but when we got off the bridge the crowds just began making noise.  The time ticked by and the cries of MITTY (I had that on the shirt) was just brill.  Halfway in just under 2 hours so was going nicely.  Kept on going (I remember running along the long stretch in Brooklyn and looking ahead and just seeing bobbing heads and the same behind - amazing.  Dropped off the Qneensboro at 16 (my BLH saw me but I didnt see her) and the noise was great again.  Long stretch up 1st and I was still running but at 18 miles I was starting to think about when to have a walk as the lack of long miles in training was starting to tell and I was going to finish.  I think I had a short stroll at 19 to 20 miles and then back on it (I think I was at just over 19 at 3 hours so I was starting to slack a little).  Coming off the bridge from the Bronx and hearing the Rocky theme being played - you just had to pick the pace up a bit.  At about 21 I was passed by a chap who urged me on with the comment 'cmon, all I've heard is your name for the past couple of hours).  Tried then to walk through each drink station (plus a little) and then run/jog to the next.  25 miles came up, then the 800 metres then the 26 then the finish (I dont mind admitting I did get a little emotional when crossing the line), and then the drag to get my bag and meet up.  After about 30 mins my left knee just went AWOL and we got a pedi bike to Times Square and then the shuttle back to then hotel (stairs were a real challenge at this point).  Had a rest and then headed to O'Lunneys (bit late at 6:30) and asked for each group but it looks like we missed each other so had bangers and mash, beer and pudding - lovely.

4:20:30 - cannot complain about that as I did make the NY Times.

To sum up, great experience, great weather, great crowds (my BLH said the atmosphere was amazing on the sidewalk on 1st), great support from forum members (go Trin go).  Just one problem, it seems that me and the MY marathon have unfinished business to do with the 4 hour mark !!!

• Dave... well done, great time for your 1st marathon!!

kiwidave... 3.24
    Dave 101... 3:48:56 (1st marathon PB)

• born to go slow.. great PB!! What do you mean what do we do now... look to the next, that's what image

kiwidave... 3.24
    born to go slow... 4:40:13 (PB)

• mittybob... phew... you was getting me so worried! I've worn a line down in my carpet I was pacing so much! Great report, and really really well done, you did great!! image
    yayyy for unfinished business... go book another one (hint... I may be running Berlin next year image )

kiwidave... 3.24
    born to go slow... 4:40:13 (PB)
    mittybob... 4:20:30

• Hi all

Can't believe Mr GM has become the face of the NYC marathon, enough to put anyone off!!  Am enjoying my first Friday at home in ages when I don't actually have to run, going out Sunday AM and determined not to stop, but for the forseeable future I'll be sticking to half marathons!!

FYI, the bloke going backwards in his wheelchair is known affectionately as Backward Bob, he does it every year and apparently gets through3 pairs of trainers every marathon!  Heard it from a friend who runs with Achilles every year

We didn't unfortunately make O'Lunneys, one of our group ended up on crutches so we were very restricted to where we could go.  Poor girl was less than impressed with the first aiders, she told them she is a plastic surgeon in the UK (she is!) and they were trying to get some patients from her.......they weren't even going to give her crutches, she had to beg, we had to get the handyman at the hotel to take a saw to them so she could use them, they were meant for a giant!

One final observation re the politics...........we did the "Friendship Run" on Saturday, actually just free advertising and promotion for Continental who must have a mahoosive advertising budget, they were ALL OVER NY!!!!  I heard by chance that the UK were the 3rd largest group of runner but despite giving a shout to every other country from Argentina to Zaire, and despite loads of Union Flags waving, we were not mentioned once.....................I take it the "Special Friendship" has cooled?  Actually considered passing ourselves off as Irish given the Libyan deal etc! 

Thanks to everyone over the past months, I've had a laugh and a half, special thanks to Trin, keep the faith re police, you'll get there with no problem......seems a tad ironic to me that all we hear about are difficulties recruiting good officers and they turn down Superwoman image

That's it for now folks

Mrs GM

• Thanks Mrs GM image
    Take care *waves white hanky*

• Hi Trin - just kept hanging on until I got into work (day out in London yesterday) Berlin eh ?  hmmmmmm

Again, thanks and good luck to everyone in whatever mad event you choose to do

Just been looking at the photos of me - old or what ? (bib 19322 if you fancy a larf)

• Hi All

I ran last week it was my first marathon what an experience. 3:40 for those interested. I feel as if i could have gone faster and have been looking at my hrm logs to see if i did go to easy. My average hr was 169 my max so far is 194. My highest in NYC was 178. I accumulted less EPOC (do other hrms measure this or is it just suunto) than i have in some half marathons but then i guess i'm fitter! and to further confuse things i got cramp in my hamstring at 25.5 miles

So i have a few questions

What is the average % of max hrm that people sustain in a marathon?

should i be operating at a higher avearge hr and could i have run faster?

is the cramp a lack of fitness/strenght at that distance?

I have signed up for paris and the excitement has started again (is this carrry on addictive) i think sub 3:30 should be on the cards i have run 1:36 half. should i add more overall distance to stop cramp

or should i be doing more temp work to improve threshold efficiency?

any advice appeciated