Options

New York Marathon 2009

Comments

• Options

Mrs GM  - very well done to you.  I struggled too after 18 miles and I was 3 weeks post flu at that stage so I am very impressed you tackled it at all after just a few days.  Much impressed.  Back at work a few days now and great thing is people who are non runners are not a bit impressed or even care about your time - mucho impressed that I did it though! Im sure you will find the same.

Kaygee

• Options
    Well done to everyone who did the New York Marathon.For me it was the best of the 3 marathons this year(London,Berlin,Ny).Despite running my slowest time 2.46.12 the experience of running with crowds as awesome as that will live with me forever.Really enjoyed my bit part role in this forum and i have to thank everyone for their contributions for making it interesting and entertaining at times and special thanks to L,Advark and Trinity who have mostly kept the thread going.Signing off now see you again in 2011 or 2013.....Regards Gary Jones
  • Options

Thanks Gary... you should do Boston too... really!!

Take care x

• Options
    Just looked at the link that Lardvark sent for the faces at the finish and I am on it, Number 293, I look knackered!
  • Options

Yes you do! image

I'm sure we all did.  Hope you are recovering OK.

Trin thanks for all your support, reading between the lines are you getting an operation on your neck? Anaesthetising for that sort of thing is my field.  If you have any questions I'd be glad to help.  Keep up with the press ups!  Have you done the Glasgow to Edinburgh run?

Well done everyone.

• Options

Hi all,

Well done to everyone - some great times posted.

Not my best - 20 mins slower than Paris earlier this year but my training has been disrupted by injuries and I really didn't think I would finish and if I hadn't been running for charity I would have pulled out a month ago so pleased to have got round. Experienced the worst cramps in my thighs I have ever had after 24 miles. Didn't think I would finish it was that bad, but made it.

While I am pleased that I finished I am afraid I do not share the feel good factor about the race as the rest of you guys.

Having done Paris twice and Berlin twice I would run these before NY any day. While NY has the support and no race I have done can match it, I really didn't like having to get up at 4:30 to catch my bus then wait for 3 hours on the island. After the finish the slow shuffle to get my bag was a nightmare. Don't know how it was for you faster ones but when I finished it took over 30 mins to get to my bag. Thought I was going to faint at one point. Worst post race experience I have ever had. Worst medal as well, very disappointed no outline of the city skyline of some sort. Then came Monday. Turned up at the Tavern around 10am and waited for around 30 mins to get in for a finishers t-shirt, only to find my size was sold out.

Happy to leave NY as a once only race.

• Options

Back home in Northumberland.

Absolutely loved the City and the race. Really pleased we took the children because the memories of the kids skipping through the leaves in Central Park and being stimulated by the Warhols in the Met will stay for ever. Walking across Brooklyn Bridge and eating pizza at Grimaldis in Brooklyn were other highlights.

I ran one last time on Thursday around Central Park and it was mobbed with runners - you can't help but be inspired by the civic pride of New Yorkers.

The race doesn't have the sentimental history of Boston nor the speed of the other three majors but it does have an exctiting rollercoaster view of perhaps the world's greatest city. I will never forget the moment of personal connection around mile five when still consumed by doubts about my ability to finish because of my rib, a Brooklyn band blasting out 'Laid' by James allowed me to lose those doubts and start smiling.

For the future L'Ard I'm sure we will eventually meet. I'm heading for London and am going to have a right good crack at breaking 3 hours. Firstly it's six weeks on the easy list and then kick on at Christmas.

I haven't chosen next year's fall marathon but would like to go overseas again. At some point soon I'll do Chicago, but 2011 may be the year - It may depend where the US Olympic team hold their 2012 trial race as there is talk they'll again do it on the Saturday before one of the majors and that would be great to follow.  

Trin Thanks for all the moral support and am glad to hear the recovery is going well. No doubt our paths will cross again in both cyberspace or at some far flung marathon. Like you I need to source a greater surge of salt and potassium than I currently take on board in the UK. 

Thanks everyone for sharing your hopes, fears and dreams over the last few months.

This is NotCat signing off

Cheers and happy running

David

• Options

Just returned from NY late last night. I had a great NY marathon and managed to get a 8 minute PB, finally breaking the sub 3:30 marathon. There are loads of highs, really loved walking back to the hotel and random people congratulating me on my race. Never had this before and great feeling

Well done everyone on finishing the race, sounds like you all had good times whether a PB or not. You all have achieved a great thing. I did manage to find the bar, was relying on my runner friend to know where it was(working over there). Funny I found it on the Wednesday, I am sure i will cross paths with some of you in the future. I plan to do another marathon or other distances in the future not going to be Comardes.

Thanks for your support, in particular Trin afraid I will not be runnning Comrades 2010. Everyone welcomed to Reading, I am running Reading half in March if any one fancies it.

• Options

hi

back home yesterday..had a great time.

managed to get under the 4 hours i was hoping for.(3.57.54)

crowds were amazing . back to work tomorrow image

not read back yet ,but well done to all, and hope you're recovering well trinimage

• Options

gas-man... thanks, but it's all over now apart from the recovery. I went in on 29th and had surgery on C4/5 and C5/6 on 30th October. Surgery lasted just over 4 hours and I was hooked up to morphine when I came round... all seemed to go well and the recovery is on track image

I can't wait to get running again this week... surgeon said I could run 2 weeks after the op so I will be going for a few easy slow miles this Thursday image

No, I haven't done Glasgow-Edinburgh. I did do the very last running of the Two Bridges race though.

NotCat... I've enjoyed being here supporting you guys too. Take care, see you again somewhere image

• Options

Steven... well done on the PB and breaking 3:30!! image What was your time?

NotCat... 3:09:54 (PB)
    Rower... 3:46 (PB?)
    achingcalves... 3:19:54 (Huge PB!)
    KMac... 4:46:46 (Brill 1st marathon PB!)
    Champagne... 3:34
    kiwidave... 3.24
    tiptree... 3:31:53 (PB)
    MWilson... 2:58:43 (Superb 1st marathon PB)
    gary jones 17... 2:46:12
    L'ardvark... 3:01:04 (PB)
    Paul Ward 13... 3:05:09
    Kaygee... 4:39:06 (PB)
    Hudds Dave... 4:32
    Dougie Waller... 3:42:42
    theboynice... 3:12:49 (PB)
    surreystrider... 4:14:30
    djwolf... 3:30:05
    Mrs Wolf... 4:37
    Tricia... 4:15:55
    Rower... 3:45
    gas-man... 3:42
    Mrs gas-man... 5:22
    Dave 101... 3:48:56 (1st marathon PB)
    born to go slow... 4:40:13 (PB)
    mittybob... 4:20:30
    Steven S...

• Options

chowster... Great stuff! Well done image Hope you're taking your medal to work image

kiwidave... 3.24
    Steven S...
    chowster... 3:57:54 (PB)

• Options
    Trin- got a time of 3:28.34, alittle surprised considering it was supposed to be a harder course. Glad to see you are on road to recovery.
  • Options

Steven... very comfortably inside 3.30!! image

kiwidave... 3.24
    Steven S... 3:25:34 (PB)

• Options

L'a... nice!! You'll have to go for a 10 minute PB image

• Options

Hello to all and well done *big cheer* image I've been watching this thread from afar the past couple of weeks.

I'm thinking of doing New York next year as my third marathon and for a specific charity. Having now been, do people here recommend it? I've heard mixed things about the race being good, but the before and after being slow and difficult?

If I do run i'll be posting loads next year for advice, but just wondered the general recommend to a friend or not? And if you could pass on one tip what it would be?

Thanks, and well done again  image

BB

• Options
    Was already thinking of doing Chicago next year instead of New York... think I'll have to if it's 10-10-10.
  • Options
    10-10-10 started eating away at mwe yesterday.........
  • Options

hi bouncy bunny

i only found the negatives to be minor and the positives to be huge.

arrived at  wavel 1 , 2 minutes late as the directions to the start  were not overly clear and got put in to wave 2 , but as i was never going to win the raceimage it didnt make any difference to my overall time.(in my opinion the waves worked very well)

i actually found the 45 minute shuffle for the UPS bags  probably stopped my legs from seizing up and gave me a chance to gasbag (chat) to some other hobbling runners.

expo was great , although since it was my 1st ive nothing to compare it to.

wouldnt recommend the MARATHON ROUTE BUS TOUR, as it had to cancelled half way through due to busy traffic ,and the guide even had a cheek to say that his boss said it didnt matter as we'd see it anyway during the run(had to laugh thoughimage)

loved the cheering crowds, the bands ,volunteers handing out water and gatorade were really friendly, liked the fact some of the crowd (i think in harlem)had massage sticks to help some runners with aching muscles, loved running through the neighbourhoods  and loved the wall of people that greet you in to central park.

to sum it up it was an OK way to spend a sunday (only kidding it was AMAZINGimage)

• Options
    Hi guys,

Just got back today after an awesome week in New York. The marathon itself was a bit of a downer for me. Felt great the week leading up to it but I started feeling ill on the Saturday, flu like symptoms and I felt awful. Tried to get plenty of sleep and medication but to no avail. Was like a zombie on marathon day. Felt awful on the bus to the start and was really feverish leading up to the off. I dosed up on drugs and planned on just getting round..... I got totally caught up in the start, New York New York energised me and I went off at my planned pace. Was really enjoying it up until around 15/16miles then I just ran out of gas. Found the Queensboro bridge horrible, picked up a bit along 1st avenue then just lost it from 20miles onwards. Ran as much as I could bur felt nauseas and faint so ended up walk/ running 1/2 mile each from 20mile onwards. I must sat the crowds all the way round were amazing. They really kept me going. I managed to run the last 1.5miles and was glad I did. Finished in 4.39 which I was happy with given the circumstances. Looking for a marathon soon though whilst I'm still fit.

Overall an amazing experience with the best result I could hope for given my illness. Managed to raise over £2500 which is the main thing.

Just want to say a massive well done to everyone who ran the marathon and thanks tgo everyone who supported up. Thank You so much!!
  • Options

FYI: The Fairmont Hotel in Chicago is lovely, well situated, and has an incredible deal from marathon Friday (but not Thursday). Nearly all of my US buddies have booked from 8-12, as have I. You need a credit card to book but can cancel without penalty until 24 hours before you turn up. If you are even thinking about appropriately marking 10-10-10 (US and UK date!), I strongly recommend you book your hotel place today. Registration for the race will probably open early Feb and is on a first-come, first served basis (no good for age places). Last year it filled its places by April, I believe.

• Options

Hi all

Like most people, having said never again, my thoughts are turning to the next challenge! Mr GM is planning ironman Germany but I have decided to sign up  for the local event, Edinburgh marathon May 23rd 2010.  I calculate that is 27 weeks away.  What is my best race plan until an 18 week programme kicks in?  Should I simply be treading water for the next few weeks or working to a programme? Any advice gratefully accepted!

That said, I've not run since NY, delayed slightly more by swine flu jab yesterday, my whole body aches and my arm is swollen to Schwarzenneger proportionsimage

TTFN

Mrs GM

• Options

Hi Mrs GM

Feeling exactly the same. NY was totally amazing although time not great at 5:17 but pleased to have finished it considering my injuries throughout the year and as it was my first marathon also a PB.

I was thinking of Edinburgh too as my Dad told me I've to do one a bit closer to home the next time.  I was thinking about basically doing my usual 5-6 miles 3 times a week with the odd longish run about once a month until the training programme kicks in.  Also thought about doing the Edinburgh Kilomathon (26.2km) which looks interesting.  Along with the Glasgow womens 10k in May and half marathon in September.

So many races, I've definately got the bug now

• Options

Yayy... another of my team returns to the fold image

It was a great run Padders! Your first marathon shouldn't have a time target because the only objective it to get to the finish and enjoy the experience... you succeeded at both and still in a respectable time image Well done!!

Now you have a time to beat image

kiwidave... 3.24
    Steven S... 3:25:34 (PB)
    Padders17... 5:17 (1st marathon PB)

• Options

I tried to post something here that RWOL UK could not handle and it won't let me simply delete the post. So,

Hello everyone

Good luck Trin

• Options

*Checks list on wall to make sure everyone is in and accounted for*

*sweeps up, clears away empties, and has a final tidy*

*Picks up pom poms, turns lights out, has a final look back and leaves the thread, quietly closing the door behind*

xxx

• Options

*Slides note under door. "Thanks for everything, Trin."

• Options

1st Marathon complete 4:57:12 PB dead chuffed after the training went very wrong (didnt even get to half marathon distance). 

Loved every single second and would love to do it again - thanks to the medics for catching me on the line.

33,939th place, room for improvement me thinks

Which one to do next.............................

Congratulations to you all