Wednesday 6th May 2009

TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Up is where we go from here

Morning folks.

alehouse - sounds painful at the moment image

KW2 - nice summation image Which mara in September?

What: 6m Gobi-esque rec d&d / 60-70mins rec pm
Why: still balancing the books.
Last hard: Monday.
Last rest: 17/03.

Have a great day all.

Comments

• mavamava ✭✭✭

morning.

Take care alehouse.  I was just wondering yesterday where you'd got to.

What: 3 miles easy
    Why: I've sent my orthotics off for a refurb and didn't think I ought to do very much
    Last hard: coping with the total chaos at home
    Last rest: 16 Feb

One thing I didn't  mention about the chaos yesterday is that our only source of mains water is......in the garden!  

The kitchen fitter assures me things will be better by the end of today.

TTFN

• Morning All

What: 9.5 miles d & d at Gobi o'clock
    Why: Comrades taper so ditched the extra 1/2 mile I usually do!
    Last Hard: Monday
    Last Run: Sunday

Mava: it can only get better

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

Mornin all

mava, hope your kitchen is soon settled!

scobos sorry to hear about your flm, but well done mrs S!!!!

Hi Kelly!!!!

What: 3 mile walk this morning

why: moonwalk is coming

last hard: flm

last easy: monday

I had a lovely run last night with my daughter and thats the best I have felt since flm, she got up to 2.75 miles, proper proud I am!! (I think she still hates it though)

have a nice day all

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • hey TT, thanks! its the robin hood in nottingham. got a few mates up there so will know the area and have free board for the night before image plus it said in rw magazine that notts is the best running city.... and yes, i believe everything i readimage

mava - best of luck hey!!! does that mean you are showering in the garden image image

hey wabo - have you done the moonwalk before?

• Morning folks.

Kelly - welcome...liked the intro.

Mava - returning to nature with an al fresco lifestyle?

Think my body has gone into some sort of meltdown...was supposed to be running a 10k race tonight, but seem to have a cold coming on, plus my back really stiffened up last night. It's not improved any this morning, so I'm going to give the race a miss and just do some gentle jogging on the course encouraging Mrs S to (hopefully) another PB, and to give my many clubmates running in the race a big shout. Not too bothered about missing out...although it's a fast course, this race always seems to come a bit too soon after FLM, and I've never run particularly well at it. 

So for today...

What: probably just a few miles of jogging and a lot of shouting...
    Why: see above

Have a great day.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Gobi - yikes and double yikes
    Scobos - unlucky mate, but congrats to Mrs S
    Kelly - betcha can't wait for the new star trek movie....

Club night yesterday - do or die time for the dodgy calf. 11x800s with just 30s rest between each (on grass). All at between 2:45 and 3:00 and distance came out (depending on whose garmin you took, and how many corners were cut) as 770-810m. Fortunately legs came thru unscathed, but continued deepheat/ice/massage just to be on the safe side.
    Today - 6 miles along the Thames. Tiring.

Have a super day - Test cricket on tv, in May. Madness.

• A'noon peeps.

What:4.5M Steady this morning. It was a lovely sunny morning when I was out !

Kelly: Welcome to the madhouse.

Scobos: Sorry to hear London didn't go to plan. Well done to Mrs S though.

DD: All the best on your taper

My younger son ran an 800m pb yesterday. 2:16 I think he said it was. He was really pleased anyway.

A general 'get well soon' to all those currently on the bench.

Have a good one peeps, if you can

• Afternoon,

Welcome, kelly!

What: some gentle running when I get home
    Why: takes me ages to recover from a marathon
    Last hard: Stratford marathon (26/4)
    Last rest: Friday

For ages, I've known that there is an area in town that has the tag line "Highworth's Breathing Space" and is a small country park.  But I've never been there, even though the entrance is about 400m from my front door!  Don't ask me why.  But on Monday, Mrs SGQ and I went for a walk round part of it.  I drove her mad saying (over and over again) "this would be a great place to come and do some running".  So, that's the plan for tonight.  No idea how far I will run or how quick - just going to jog round and explore the different tracks through the park.  Good place for summer evening runs - wouldn't fancy it in winter as there are no lights at all.

• What: 2hrs 30m circuits on the low impact xt's @ the gym.
    Why: still seeing off the tension headache that continues to work its way down my back and is worse with pavement pounding.
    Last Hard: too flippin long ago
    Last Run: monday

hey Scobos, Bm, Sgq image

Dustin - jealous you are running along the thames! verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry happy test cricket is on the tv - concerned (as ever) that we are playing FAR too much cricket with an already exhausted england side and an ashes series round the corner....... i am a star wars girl, but am well up for the new star trekimage the bf is most dissapointed that he will be dragged along to another sci-fi at the local cinema. he cant stand it!

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    According to the doctor I have issues with these

http://www.deeptissue.com/learn/ankle/peroneus.htm

The best thing about a doctor who does triathlon is he appreciates training needs

so training then

What: swimming AGAIN
    Why: even limited moutain biking hurts my leg never mind walking or running
    Last hard: walking anywhere
    Last rest: Friday 13th March
    Lyrics: never do

Comrades D-day is now Monday so if I am running at least a little bit we fly and if not we cancel.

Simples :¬0

• Afternoon all,

Welcome Kelly!

DD:  I'm sure that half mile will make all the difference image

Well done to birkmyre jnr.

• What:  18m mid-week, medium-long run.  I'm beginning to subscribe to the theory that long slow distance makes long slow runners. 
    • Why:  It's mid-week bass
    • Last Hard:  1/1
    • Last Rest:  16/3

Have a good one!

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Afternoon

Kelly - I used to work in a cinema, a long time ago now. But do remember every so often especially when the latest Star trek film came out we would have a special showing of all the films back to back through the night. It was interesting seeing the various customers in different custumes

Good luck with Robin Hood

Alehouse, was wondering about your whereabouts yesterday as well sorry to hear of your continued problems. Take care

Scobos sorry to hear about FLM best of luck to Mrs S tonight

What: 6.84 miles (including one fly dodging mile at 9:09 pace)
    Why: just miles
    Last Hard: Sunday
    Lyrics: Yes. Never knew they were your thing TT

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

Kelly, yes I did it 2006 as well, have you?  I liked your intro too!

Gobi, we will all have fingers, toes and eyes crossed here for you!

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Knew i forgot something

Wabo - When is moonwalk?
  • NZChristineNZChristine ✭✭✭

Gobi - got my fingers crossed for you.

Dubai Dave - enjoy the taper.

AF - back into huge mileage again.

Tipp Top - it's all about balanceimage

Mava - hope your house gets sorted soon - the workers sound like they need a bit of prodding this has been going on for a long time now!!

Wabo - nice run with your daughter.

Kelly - good luck with Robin Hood.

Scobos - sounds like a wise decision - good luck to Mrs Scobos.

Dustin - mate - that was a hard work-out with only 30sec recovery!!

Birkmyre - how old is your younger son? That's a pretty handy 800m.

SGQ - it's taking me ages to recover from my marathon too and mine was ages ago!

What: am 6 miles flat with mates - pm watching eldest gdaughter's netball game - always so cold had full wet-weather gear on but should have had woolly jumper on too!! She got player of the day as she has improved heaps. 

Good running everyone. 

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

mava - hope the kitchen is coming along to plan.

Well done to your daughter Wabo - that's 2.75m more than most of the country can/will run!

lol Kelly. Good luck in the build-up to RH - looking forward to seeing how it goes.

Scobos - bad luck with the cold/stiffening back, but hope Mightos has/had a good one.

birkmyre - nice 800m by your son!

SGQ - in Reading? Where?

Gobi - as has been said.

Pammie - I've got eclectic tastes me (i.e. I'll listen to pretty much anything) image It was on the radio this morning and I do like an upbeat catchy pop song.

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    xpost NZC. I remember when my idea of balance used to be having a pint in each hand rather than something to do to recover properly from a race image Barry was saying Rotorua was pretty windy. Sounds like ye're still having pretty ropey weather there.
    Tipp Top - I didn't go down to Rotorua, but it was a cold, wet day up here in Auckland. There weren't any good times run, but in saying that it is a tough course. It made my 2.56 there back in 1981still look quite good!! First home in the men was 2.27  and 2.55 for the women from memory. There's not many get under 3hrs these days. One notable performance was a 59 year old woman who was trying for 2.59 and ended up with 3.07 - but she's a legend. Glad she moves out of my age-group next year! I'm sure she'll have a crack at the W 60 record then. Did Barry train some of the leading women?
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    NZC - 1st (who has a pb of 2:42, but as you said won in 2:55) and 4th (who actually pb'd!). Apparently there was a strong headwind for the last 11k. The men's winner has done 2:15 before, so the times all around say quite a bit about course and conditions. 3:07 at 59 in those circumstances is indeed impressive!

Tipp Top - yes Rotorua is a bit of a challenge! What makes it tough I think, is not the hills but but the last miles are flat and they seem to go on forever! 

That's a good result for Barry then. He seems to be doing something similar to Arthur who had his boys - Snell, Halberg, Magee etc, but later he seemed to concentrate on the women and had great success with Heather Thompson/Matthews who won silver in Commonwealth Games 3000m if I remember rightly. Even our current fastest marathon woman was trained by Arthur - Lisa Galvin Hunter who lives in the States, has 4 children I think and has had many battles with Athletics NZ for inclusion into teams. Life is not supposed to be easy.

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    I have to say I prefer courses with a bit of 'character' myself. I remember I really struggled at Gosport last November and that was pretty much super flat.
    I can never understand this thing with getting picked to represent your country. It all seems so simplistic, but imo if you have the qualifying time for the championship then you've earned the right to go. Ireland have started putting stiffer qualifying times than the official ones on for some events (marathon being a prize example), and unfortunately that approach now seems to be the norm, rather than the exception...... Not sure how they expect people to improve without the chance to compete against the best......
  • Evening all, 

RFJ: nice 5k
    TT: cracking 9.9km race
    Gobi: That sounds rubbish mate, fingers are firmly crossed for you here.
    Scobos: sorry to hear FLM didn't go to plan for you, hopeflly you can find the cause of the numbness soon.
    Kelly: welcome and a nice summary

What: 3m very easy with OH
    Why: I ended up having a nap instead of doing my 12 miler....

• 40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭

Kelly - Welcome

Gobi - Not great timing!  Hope it works out for you.

What:  7.6 miles in 1:05
    Why:  Club night

Now just one group down from where I used to be, most of the time we were running sub-8, but there was a lot of regrouping & road crossing which slowed us down.  Still, the gradual return to proper training continues, soon to be tested with a bit of number pinning...

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Greetings all,

What 40 mins
    Why - Easy run / Taper
    Last hard - This Taper
    Last Rest Mon

Take care

• SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

Ach, Gobi. Fingers crossed. Hope that you can get it sorted.

Scobos - sorry it didn't go well, congrats to Mrs. S.

Hello Kelly!

Mava - sympathies over the domestic turmoil.

Just a hasty summary: got out Monday evening with son1 with the Hash. I am not usually free on a Monday, but I was this Monday, and enjoy the Hash. I just about get to the regroup points in time to catch my breath before on on on.

Knew I wouldn't be able to run from work today, so went out for 4 miles in the morning. Horrible stiff to start, got moving comfortable, and then lost power, but heck, it was out, and 4 miles, and that will do for now.

Just keep at it. Take care, and may you mend quickly, those who need to.

• Oh crikey Mava - is the kitchen STILL not fixed? (I've been away a while.)

Need to read back to check what happened at FLM for Scobos. Gather congrats in order for the missis...
    That's Mightos 5.

And a second 'oh crikey' to Gobi. I know the pain of dodgy peroneals - that was what always destroyed my races when I was trying to be a 5k runner. Everything that's good to you for Monday's D day. Appreciate a decision has to be made.

Hello Kelly! Another check back needed to check out this intro...

Lyrics no. Got those sunny ones on Monday though - nice one Pammie!  I call one of the sprint drills Morecambe and Wises. Hardly ever do it though - looks even dafter than Spotty Dogs and Girlie Skipping.

100m, 400m and 4 x 1 relay for me tonight.
    May go into hundred by hundreth detail tomorrow. 

Bollocks though! In a negative way. Following wind but only manged to = last year's PB. Tantalising 79.46% AG. Aaaargh! Won it by 2 seconds but competion not great...

Was told by coach to jog the 4. Didn't quite do that but oh well ...details tomorrow. Not worth waiting for, honest.