Options

Fructose problem

I've recently found out I have a digestive issue with fructose (fructose malabsorption - sometimes referred to as fructose intolerance).  I thought initially this would just mean a fruit free diet but fructose seems to be used as an additive in so many foods.  Anyone else experienced this and any suggestions on diet.  My biggest problem is now going to be what I can take on very long runs/marathons as all the gels, jelly babies, sports drinks etc contain fructose.  All suggestions much appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    you should be OK with glucose I guess or alternatively maltodextrin which is a slower release glucose polymer. maltodextrin is used widely in sports drinks - check out the SiS website (scienceinsports) for more info. I use a maltodextrin fuel for long bike rides and runs
  • Options

I read somewhere that, even in people with fructose malabsorption, glucose actually helps the gut to absorb frustose. Therefore it's the glucose:fructose ratio that's important, so bananas good, apples and pears bad.

Also, you'll may want to avoid 'sugar free' products containing sorbitol, as I'm told sorbitol can exacerbate the problem. 

Don't take my word for it  though- I'm not medically qualified. 

• Options

jelly babies are fructose-free, i think.  or if not, go round the sweet shop checking out the packets to see which are fructose free.

most SIS products are maltodextrin/fructose mix i think FB

you can buy pure maltodextrin from www.myprotein.co.uk (or .com).  tastes a bit crap alone though, maybe mix it with nuun or dioralyte for elctrolytes and a bit of flavour

• Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    I thought SiS did sell a pure maltodextrin but you're right it does have some fructose in....

I get my maltodextrin from Torq fitness - 10kg tub at a time although looking at myprotein theirs is a damn sight cheaper!

as candice says - the neutral flavour stuff tastes pants on it's own but the good thing is you can flavour it as you see fit - I use Nuun or Teisseire fruit syrups (maybe no use for fructose intolerant)
  • Options

Thanks everyone.  i too read somewhere that taking dextrose assisted with the absorption of fructose but can't find the article now and must say I am confused byt the diffrences between all the 'ose' ending substances! And yes i have to avoid sorbitol, xylitol or similar as they are a no no.  Then anything withe brown sugar, caramel, honey etc is to be avoided too.  Went to sainsburys before work and went through all the cereals and only 2 that i could eat - shredded wheat (which is just wheat and nothing else) and puffed rice.  So had that with activia plain probiotic yoghurt and teaspoon of cinnamon for breakfast - apparently the probiotics and cinnamon assist with the digestion.

Will check out the jelly babies tomorrow, fingers crossedimage 

• Options
    I am pretty sure GO gels don't have any fructose in them - it upsets my stomach greatly so avoid at all costs.
  • Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    pb - take a look at the wikipedia article which may help you further plus it has other links to more information

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructose_malabsorption
  • Options
    FB thats excellent - thank you!
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

Hi Pink

I googled fructose intolerance on the Forum and came up with you. I didn't expect to find anything.

I have recently discovered that I am FI too. I am trying not to make it a night-mare!!! It depends on how badly it affects you, but whole-grain wheat and rice etc are not  recommended as it is the outer coat of the grain that contains fructans which break down into fructose.

Sucrose is just fine. One has to be careful of the word sugar in ingredients of packets as the word sugar covers the whole specturm including fructose.

I find it hard to find which veg are Ok. I have looked at many websites on the Internet and they vary so much. It is trial and error all the time.

I have been recommended to up my protein intake and reduce my grain content. Doesn't sound healthy to me but then neither was the result of eating a supposed healthy diet.   

I use Glucose a lot now. The taste is ok. Not too sweet at all. I mix mine with natural yoghurt and hemp seed powder.

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Pink you may find this useful:- fructose intolerance

It is a bit technical, but it's all there. But it does differ from other reports that I have read.

I am not too sure about malto-dextrin for us.
  • Options
    Hi Ceal, thanks for the info.  I agree, the veg bit is actually quite difficult as they seem all quite unusual and not ready available and I am sick of spinach and celery already!!  So what is a typical days food for you?  I am having plain activia yoghurt on rice based cereal for break, chicken with salad cucumber celery for lunch and fish or chicken with veg for supper. Hadn't realised about the wholegrain cereal bit though and think cereal I have been having is wheat and rice!