Why oh why can`t races start earlier

2»

Comments

• Should've said private transport masquerading as 'public' transport.
  • Brussels 20k starts at 15:00, what sort of stupid time is that!
  • TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    RichardB wrote (see)
    Brussels 20k starts at 15:00, what sort of stupid time is that!
    It's brilliant.  It means I can get to the start without needing to be away all weekend.
  • Not a milkman D2D, but work nights.  Evening races are best for me.  Fortunately with races starting at different times we all have a choice.  Organisers are reluctant to have start times in the middle of the day in the summer because of the risk that we might have a heatwave (as if) and the risks this could bring.  Early times in the winter bring the risk of ice.
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    I think you have your answer runnerman - if races started at 8.00 am, there wouldn't be anyone there! image
  • Another no from me too.  I think 9 is earliest I would want to start racing, 10 is much better for me.  I did Bath tri last summer and had a pool time of 7:30 "That's nice" I though, "I've got all day to get ready and a nice cool ride and run".  It was then pointed out to me that it was 7:30 am.  I nearly withdrew.
  • I agree with Wilkie!  If the need was there for stupid-o'clock starts, that's when they'd start.

If a race started at 7 am, I'd be up at 4.  As others have said, triathlons do that, and it's a pain in the arse.

I don't live in central London, I'd find it impossible to make an 11am start by public transport, never mind a 7am, so that's not a factor...  image

• FizziofinnFizziofinn ✭✭✭
    im with crazy diamond. I run mostly in the evenings after work and wish more of them were in the evening.! I hate getting up at silly o clock to try and go to races.
  • No from me as well, I'm afraid.

9.30 or 10am does me just fine - allows for travelling time, but not too late that it messes up the whole day.

As it is, I'm usually the one who screeches onto the carpark 10 mins before the race is due to start, so I'd be stuffed if the times were earlier!

• Wilkie wrote (see)
    I think you have your answer runnerman - if races started at 8.00 am, there wouldn't be anyone there! image

I don't think that because a few people on here say they couldn't / wouldn't want to get up early doors to do a race that nobody would turn up. Bluewater 10k starts at 8.30 on a Sunday and there is always a great turnout.

As I have 2 kids under the age of 4 who have not taken onboard the concept of a lazy Sunday lay in and insist on waking at 6am everyday then a early start suits me as I can do a race and still have the whole day with the family.

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

When helping out at a race it usually means being there at 8am. If you have an hr or more travel time before this how many people would still volunteer. I know a hard core would, but what about the others?

I would not wish to race much earlier, though anything after 10am is rather a late start. The race I'm running is an 11am start. 10 would be fine with me. I have done one 9am start on a Saturday but I try and make my weekends sleep catch up time.

• OK so the early start motion is out. So lets have a change of issue. If we all love running and would rather start at 9-11am. Should those blooming shops be shut on a Sunday morning so there would be less traffic on roads so us runners can at least run. If shops open 11 or 12. This would give the leisure community to run, cycle, play football. I think we should start a campaign and fight the government on this.  If Joanna Lumley can do it for the Gurkhas. Then surely we can do the same for our cause too. All we need is a firgurehead to lead our campaign. Any ideas?

• The law states that shops over a certain size can open for 6 hours on a Sunday - not the actual hours.  In Oxford Street London they are 12 noon to 6 pm, here in south London 10a.m t0 4p.m.  Given that most road races are annual events and are in overall terms occupying a miniscule area of the road system - dictating the hours shops hours nationwide should be to suit runners is a bit arrogant  - and why should opening hours affect footballers and to a lesser event cyclists (particularly as in the city areas where the roads are pretty congested irrespective of shop hours).  Also give a thought to the poor bloody shop staff who might want some of theirv Sunday afternoon to themselves.

• please note bear thats only england (dont know about wales) - shops can stay open as long as they want in scotland (finding out 24hr supermarkets werent open 24/7 was a shock to the system)
  • I stand corrected - I was referring to the original changes to the Sunday opening times which would have applied to England and Wales - not sure how it stood then as far as Scotland was concerned.  Also certain shops below a certain size can stay open 24/7 in England.  A bit of a digression as I was only trying to make the point that it seemed a pretty big upheaval required to suit what would be a very small minority in overall terms.
  • Can't say I've ever had a problem with the shops being open on a sunday morning spoiling and certainly wouldn't consider my own choice of leisure activity to take any precedence over anyone elses choice of sunday morning activity, crikey!