Training for under 40 min Audi 10k

Comments

• No of course not, I've read up on this and it's best to slowly increase miliage. Your also right about me doing my easy runs too fast. Increasing miliage alone is tiring enough let alone adding speed to it, so I will be slowing down image

Maybe I do need a HRM, or just use my virtual partner on my Garmin so I won't over do it on the easy runs. When is Netley? You should be aiming for sub 39 minutes right?

• Sub-39 might be a bit of a mission... my training since Eastleigh hasn't been too hot.

We shall see though. Under 40 would be nice.
  • So what happened after Eastleigh? You decided to ease down a bit? Or has injury got in the way of things? Good luck that race anyway, is it a popular event like Eastleigh was? I know this Audi 10k has over 1000 competitors with chip timing (I think)
  • The day after eastleigh I ran 10 miles... then the same the day after that.

The day after THAT, my legs hurt a lot.

The following monday I developed my hip problem on a 14 mile run on trails.

• Chin up though mate, I've over trained many times and one of the problems I got with overtraining was hip problems! Why on earth did you run 10 miles the day after Eastleigh?
  • Christ knows. I'm an idiot.
  • Nah your not, just a school boy error. We need to make these mistakes so we can learn from them next time, giving us better experience and an advantages for future races/training.

What run are you doing tommorow? Have you finished all your running today?

• Cod liver oil, well worth it.  Gives the joints lubrication much needed for the increasing miles.  Gentle 5 miles at 8m/m after a brisk 2 yesterday to get rid of the horrible aches after a cricket match on Saturday.  Rest tomorrow and 13 on Thursday then 10 days' taper.

Is the hip on the mend Squall?  Are you planning on upping the mileage steadily now or near enough return to where you left off?

• There's 1000mg omega-3 fish oil tabs in the cupboard... I might start taking them and Glucosamine Sulphate again.

I'm just keeping it light this week... hoping to do an easy 40 each week for the next 2 weeks... then see where it goes from there...
  • An easy 40!?  How perspectives differ hey? Hope its clears up.

Think we've got to accept it's putting a certain level of stress on our bodies and giving oursleves a helping hand is quite prudent.  Just Vit C and cod liver oil at the mo here. 

• I'm already on the multi-vitamins and garlic... but that's more to keep the swine flu at bay image
  • 4.11 miles in 35'38" - hilly route (190m ascent)

Ave HR: 165
    Ave Pace: 8'41"

Felt not great.. but what do you expect from 5.25am!

• Feeling a bit whacked out this morning and also felt that way lastnight. I'm doing my 6 miles 'easy' today and nothing faster than 8:15 pace, 8:20 if need be. RHR bit quicker than usuall.
  • Be careful, especially if the new routine is just that and your body needs to adjust.  You don't want to make yourself ill, or worse, get injured.  There's always a case for saying man-up and toughing it out, but sometimes a day's rest means you can attack other runs with renewed enthusiasm, vigour & committment.  Are you both eating well, re-fuelling & sleeping well?
  • No I feel fine now, I just think it's the normal feeling of not long being awake. Taken too many rest days recently, can't afford to keep taking them just because I'm a little tired.

I've looked at this 10k course at it's not a pb potential in the slightest. I know the area well, and there is one very very long hill which will possibly wreck my chance of dipping in under 40 minutes. Under 41 minutes is a must though, but under 40 minutes on this course would mean I would have to be in sub 39 shape easily in 5 months time. It's a lot to ask but I'm always going to try my best.

• Is it a zero displacement course (start & finish in the same place)?  You'll need to work hills into your schedule, tried running some slower smaller runs with a rucksack on?  Used to run home a hilly 1.5 miles every night wearing one, and trained as normal in the day.  Made the other miles seem very easy and light.  Maybe, as you lose weight you could keep carrying the equivalent from time-to-time in the rucksack, the biomechanicals won't be stressed as much by doing so. 
  • I do run some very hilly routes every now and then, so it should be no problem. My problem is not about not being able to tackle hills, as I can, my problem is not being able to reach my target due to one very long and rather steep hill. It's just a one lap course, and it's ran through a lot of traffic so again not a good pb potential.

I would be absolutely over the moon if I could dip in under 40 minutes for such a course and I'm not going to write myself off doing so, but it'll be a bit of a mission!

I don't see the need in wearing a rucksack with weight in it while training. I think it'll cause rubbing of the skin and can cause possible back injury - why risk it?

• Mine was a very comfy little nike one, nothing too heavy or hard in there and I only ever ran 1.5 miles with it.  Just felt a lot lighter without it. 

Does a long straight hill not mean the rest is a virtual downhill run where you'll be able to capitalise on the ascent?  Hill running is about making the most of the downhill sections too.  The HM I have next Sunday has a similar monster at 4 miles followed by a nasty final 3/4 of a mile, but there's some nice long steady descents too where the payback should be taken advantage of.  Do agree that a flat or gentle undulating course is quicker.  Do you have another 10k lined up with a real PB opportunity?

• Today; 6.64 miles @ 8:25 m/m

1) 8:20
    2) 8:33
    3) 8:20
    4) 8:49
    5) 7:44 (I'm an idiot for this mile)
    6) 8:35
    7) 5:31 (.64 of a mile)

Total - 55:52

The run was considierbly tougher than my 7:53 m/m 8 mile run yesterday. Legs felt really heavy today and I must have pulled a muscle in my thigh yesterday. Tommorow suppose to be a tempo run but I'll see how I feel. Sometimes one rest day a week is not enough, sometimes you need a few days off to really recover. I have a problem with upping the pace whenever I see a hill. I'm sure this will leave lactic acid in my legs will it not?

CJ: No I haven't got any other 10k lined up as such but I think I'll probably end up doing one in June or July. Oh talking about that hill, well it's one of those hills that will possibly whack you out the the remainder of the run. Depends on how fit you are though, and going by my age 5 months is a lot of time for improvement (well should be)

• My training is completely random but I've got an eye on doing 40 mins in 3 weeks time. Don't know if it'll happen and to be honest I really should have planned things out better.

Anyway, how did you work out you should be doing 42mins just from your 5k time?

• I've just tried the guide Cymraeg J and it's way out.

Put my age in and a time taken in a half marathon three weeks ago (1hr 42mins 32 secs) and for a 10k race  the slowest time show 47mins 12 secs. I was hoping for 47 mins and the quickest time is 45mins 47 secs. Completed the course in 44mins 42 secs, over a minute faster than their quickest time.

• The corollary (sp)  is appropriate and suffiecient training, along with natural predisposition, are you 5k or marathon biased?  Maybe your 10k was assisted more by HM training than your HM was?  What was your longest run in HM training?

That said, I didn't write it and it is only a guide!

Well done on the 10k btw image

• I'm training to do half marathons. The longest training run was under 17 miles because the first half I done (only done two) I hit a brick wall at 10 miles and had to slow right down as I wanted to complete the course without walking. I follow the RW Garmin ready schedules, which I like.

As a thought, do half marathon training and your 10k times will come down drastically.

• Very true, good to see you're doing 15+ for an HM and not a few 10 and an 11.  Was the half an easier course?  Maybe the next half will be sub 1:40 if you carry on progressing the training.
  • Ockham Razor wrote (see)

I've just tried the guide Cymraeg J and it's way out.

Put my age in and a time taken in a half marathon three weeks ago (1hr 42mins 32 secs) and for a 10k race  the slowest time show 47mins 12 secs. I was hoping for 47 mins and the quickest time is 45mins 47 secs. Completed the course in 44mins 42 secs, over a minute faster than their quickest time.

Yes, but you can't take it as gospel, or even a exact science. However it's interesting information, I put in a recent 5K, then my only half marathon (I'm in better shape now than I was then) and it's given me just shy of 40 mins.

Looks like the race really is on. After wanting to hit 90mins in the HM and only getting 90:21, I don't want to 'just' get under, I need to really aim for a good margin under.

• I followed a 1hr 40 min schedule. Not disappointed that I did not make the time as I looked at the splits and was too slow the first two miles, a hill before the second mile and started slow in the first mile to make sure I did not go off to quick. The tenth mile was also slow, but once I got my mind around how well I was doing quickened up. If you take those three miles out would have got very close to the time.

Aiming for 1hr 30 mins now in six months time. Will see if I am on course by doing a 10 miler in July in 70 mins. I only done the 10k as it was held locally. Will not do another on, probably until next year.

• Le Gav, think the races have to be close together. Was your half last year?
  • Just put the 3 minute dead 1k I did a few years back in...according to Cameron I'm on for Olympic selection in the Marathon image 

So, are you both now following the Squall/Twiiix plan of massive mileage to acheiving the targets or still following Garmin/ RW programmes?  I'm upping myself from a FIRST 3day a week to 5 or 6 days and aiming for 40-50+ mpw by July in an attempt to obliterate the HM PB at Cardiff in Oct, v quick course.

• Hi guys good to see you all take an interest in breaking those pb's.

Just read something on another site, and I've read these kind of comments by many runners. The key to getting quicker time is simply higher volume. Some lads 10k time dropped from 44 minutes to 37 minutes on nothing but 50 - 60mpw of base training. Some are also saying that speedwork is great IF you have a base of around 60mpw.

I think fartlek, tempo runs and steady runs are probably more essential to us runners in our base phase. From reading many posts here it seems like the half marathon is a lot more popular than the 10k and the 5k seems non existant now!

I'll be able to tell you more when I recieve my Daniels Running Formula book image