Training for under 40 min Audi 10k

Comments

• Thanks ADL, so during my base phase there is no need at all to introduce any of the faster stuff? I heard strides are ok during the base phase.

How long should one be on the base phase for if he's got 5 months till race day?

• Thanks OR.

I've done a 1:32 before, on debut, and hit 72 mins for a 10 mile training session this March, 2 weeks after a marathon.  Should've consolidated my training after that and 1:30 would've been on the cards this time.  1:40 shouldn't be an issue next weekend, the training run wasn't flat, littered by cyclist killing gates and I naively wore my rain-jacket and hadn't eaten for 6 hours before hand...that should see me as safe.  Next Sunday is nothing but a stepping stone to a sub 1:30 in Oct and sub 48 min Tavy 7 in November.  Lots of 40 mpw and a few 50s should see me fine. 

• Twixx, I know i've only just joined this thread but reading the first page i'm now a bit confused, are you training for a half or 10km?

Without sounding too rude, i think you're trying to be too technical with your training (although my example below may in essense be technical). Most improvements just come from increasing your aerobic base (i.e running for longer) which should be progressive allowing your body time to adapt (no more than 10% a week). There should be some faster work included (mainly at target race pace or slightly quicker), otherwise how could you expect your body to suddenly perform at your desired pace during the race.

I recommend working on a periodised pattern, over a 4 week rotation gradually increasing your mileage, for example (obviously you can adapt this to what you're currently at, purely an example)

week 1: 30 miles - week 2: 33 miles - week 3: 37 miles

then recover for a week, with reduced mileage (20% decrease) so for this programme it would be 18 miles. you could maybe include a 5km time trial in this week to track your increase in fitness. the reduced mileage should normally come from your long run, as it generally takes your body longer to recover from this, and having an extra rest day.

the following week start at 35 miles, then 38 miles, then 41 miles and recover at 21 miles.

continue with this pattern until you've reached your desired weekly total, at which point you can run 3 weeks at this and then recover for a week until you taper for your race.

remember it takes approximately 8 days of continuous rest to see a decline in your aerobic fitness (depending on training history) so the recovery week is used to develop the fitness you'll have gained over the previous weeks, making the step up to the next mileage easier on your body.

one interval/threshold run a week (at 10km to HM pace) is sufficient until 2 months prior to your race, at which point you should be ready to integrate more intense training. don't neglect the faster work regardless of what training stage you're at but don't make it the basis of your running. Obviously with running more miles you can include more faster work. stides are fine to include at the end of an easy run, but not long enough to be classed as intervals so by all means include them.

• Sprint AkieSprint Akie ✭✭✭

I honestly have no idea what my times are for these distances because I dont have access (normally) to a track or Garmin etc but just realised by my parents house there is a track at my old school which you can access at weekends. Will do that and have to let you know cos' any times I give would be from my school days when I didnt train (but was probably quicker from weighing about 5 stone).

I think hard tempo runs are still important but getting a good solid base of mileague is very important but each runner is different. I know for me that when it comes to intervals and short distances that I am better because I beat most of the members from my running club over these distances but when it comes to 10ks and HMs then I am probably in the bottom quarter as I dont have the endurance so once Im fully fit (hopefully soon) I will be concentrating purely on miles for about a month!

• Went for a little walk today, feel lifeless. Might need tommorow off aswell, see how I'm feeling. I think the trick is to train within ourselfs, where too many of us (like myself) try to jump the gun and push too hard.
  • ALD thanks, that is a lot of help. I am training for 10k and I hope you'll still be posting on this thread by the time I compete in it. You could be our new yifter! image

• Amazing how much your perspective seems to have changed, zero negativity in that one image

Keep the attitude good, train sensibly but well, and you'll be well sub 40

• I'll remember what you said CJ, if I'm not sub-40 then image

Honestly, if I was to do a 10k today it would be over 42 minutes that's how worn out I'm feeling. Maybe tommorow as a rest aswell then start properly on my base training. I've got to work out what types of runs to do. Was thinking one threshold/tempo run a week but if I was to do it where do I fit it in without feeling whacked the day after?

Think I still need a bit of direction from the wiser heads than myself.

• Fit it in before the rest day?  Or do 1 a fortnight with a 5 runs per week and 6 on the non tempo week.

I'm planning on 4/week to 5 and the odd 6...possibly once the cricket season's over though; a game takes far more out of me than a half marathon!

Berroca and Cod liver oil, remember them, you'll thank me one day.

• A game of cricket is tougher than a half marathon?
  • 9 overs up the hill into a breeze and covering for people who are only fit for the vets' (and I mean animal doctor as opposed to over 50s) in the field ruins me.  I ran my 1:32 HM on a hilly Plymouth course, walked a mile home, had a shower, got my bag and then opened the bowling at 2pm.  I couldn't do it the other way around.

I'm sure the fat man standing at slip every over feels fine the day after.

• I think CJ is right, fit the tempo in the day before, or even the day after a rest. The key thing is though not to force it. If you're a mile or two into your warm up and feel heavy don't run a tempo run on that day. If you're aiming to run a certain amount of base training, then there's a deal of flexibility when it can come into your schedule. If you plan it for a specific day, and end up feeling rubbish, you may think you've failed, when in fact saving for the next day or two when you're fresher won't make a difference to your fitness, and obviously here you'll have more energy to run better.

I'm sure you're aware of the basics of nutrition, but pay attention to your post workout recovery (within 2 hours) if you want to run well the next day and drink enough water to be fully hydrated. Being dehydrated by only 1% can reduce your physical performance by 10%.

btw who's this yifter fella?

• ADL: I was thinking that too. Fitting in a tempo run on Friday and resting on Saturday. Yesterday I felt sluggish in the warm up, didn't feel good so maybe I should have just done a gentle run back making it an easy 4 miles rather than 8 miles with 3 miles tempo. Now I feel stupid!

Let's say I've got 2 minutes to chop in the space of 5 months, with the right direction of training this should be possible, I just reckon patience will be a big key in this. I have to learn to be patient!

That's very interesting about being dehydrated by 1% can cause a 10% decrease in training, I'll have to start drinking more.

Oh and Yifter S is a regular poster on RW but he's not been online for ages! He was posting all the time and all of a sudden he just stops posting. He is an inspirational poster who helped Squall achieve his target!

• Sprint AkieSprint Akie ✭✭✭
     He's been banned according to the threads in the clubhouse image
  • WHAT!!!!!

That's just wrong that is. If the mods had any decency about themselves they would have known that Yifter was a very wise poster on these boards who would always give good advice to those who needed it. What did he get banned for? Hope he recreates a new account.

May have a rest day tommorow aswell because today I felt really lethargic.

• We can all give advice Twixx but it's up to the individual to put in the effort....good work by Squall though.

If it's any inspiration to you I ran a 42 min 10km in Janaury and ran 39 mins dead in April, so it's definately possible for you. I'm not a natural runner at all, just trained sensibly and had the belief it was possible. I'm now aiming for sub 37.30 in September, which may seem like a big increase but i know it's in me. BTW i'm 13 stone with 7% body fat so never going to be an 11 stone whippit, just working with what i've got and being patient.

Don't beat yourself up over the run you did yesterday, the miles are in the bag now, nothing you can do to change it. Just focus on your next 3-4 runs and think what you want to get out of them.

5 months is a hec of a long time to knock this off, remember you're aiming for sub 40 on the day...not by next month or the month after.

Don't forget that the correct taper during the last 1-2 weeks can increase your running efficiency anywhere from 3-6% (which normally takes over 8 weeks in normal training), which for a 40 min 10km runner is approximately 1 minute....so even if training doesn't go completely to plan you can still do it on the day.

But we can talk tapering when you're closer to the race if you want. 

You'll do it, no sweat.

• Thanks ADL wise words there. Glad to see you chopped off 3 minutes in 3 months that's 1 minute each month! Now I know everyone is different and we need to train differently, but what exactly were you putting in the chop the time down like that? I'm impressed!

I'm hungry enough to put the effort in, otherwise this post wouldn't exist image

• I wasn't meaning to imply anything by that Twixx...I undoubtedly believe you're commited to the cause.

I've been kind of dabbling with running for the last couple of years, but footy or something else always got in the way so I decided at xmas this year i'd go for a sub 40 10km, and the most local to me is the derby 10km, which ive done the last 4 years, without too much serious training. I just put what I know, or think I know into practice and it worked (i'm an exercise physiologist for the day job).

Followed the 4 week rolling strategy I laid out before, increasing my mileage slowly from 20 in the first week to peak at 45, 2 weeks before the race. From the first week i followed a set interval plan of 1000m repeats at 10km target pace. At first it was a nightmare, I could only do 4 x 1000 with a 2 minute break @4.00min/km pace, but eventually built it up to 8 x 1000 in 3.50 with 90 secs break. I only did a bare minimum of threshold runs, maybe 2 a month, and built my long run up from 7 miles in the first week to a consistent 11 miles for 4 weeks before the taper. In between just did lots of easy runs and some fartleck.

I totally agree that everyone is different, but I didn't know what was best for me as I hadn't focused that much on a single race before so I still believe that the generic key runs should be present in any schedule. Long run, race pace intervals and occasional threshold surrounded by easy runs.

Took me 2 weeks to recover fully from the race week, as had a club race 2 days after, but now back on the 1000m intervals at 3.40-3.45, which is around 37.30 pace.

• Still not feeling that fresh this morning. Was going to do 6 miles easy but even a rest day yesterday has not made me feel any better.

RHR slightly quicker than usual. How long does it take to recover? Should I just man out an easy 6 today or rest?

• Man out an easy 3-4 instead.
  • Yeah was thinking that Paul, an easy 4 miles most likely. Only covered 22 miles this week, with today and tommorow to finish it off. Maybe 4 today and 10 - 12 tommorow.

How's things going with you? Your race that is!

• 4 Miles hilly.

Breathing laboured, legs feeling lifeless, mind not with it, found a positive sign though - 20 pound note on the floor, though I would prefare an anjoyable run for once! Since I raced I'm not the same runner image

• Just rest up and appreciate man utd winning their 3 prem in a row image
  • This is my VDOT going by Daniels formula;

Easy Pace - 8:32
    Marathon Pace - 7:17
    Threshold Pace - 6:51

It's an interesting book, I'd advise many to get it! image

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Twix

It is a brilliant book, and i have indeed got it
  • I ordered the daniels book last night along with my Garmin heart rate monitor strap cant till monday!image
  • I got mine this morning. Postman didn't knock on the door just left it right outside the front door, great book though.

Oh I got it wrong, these are my paces;

Intervals
    400m - 1:34, 1000m - 3:55, 1200m - 4:42, 1600m - 6:16

Threshold
    400m - 1:42, 1000m - 4:16, 1 mile - 6:52

Marathon
    7:16

Easy
    7:46 - 8:16

By the way, this coach likes evolve training in a 24 week period dividing into 6 phases. It does take time to understand it but it's very interesting info you'll struggle to find on the net.

• Oh I've got to remember that one, HRM is a clever piece of kit. Good way to train smarter! How much are they for the garmin forerunners? Need a new ant aswell, some reason it's struggling to pick up the device.

• Race this morning! Good luck everyone else who's racing.
  • Does this mean the time was slow, as you have not posted Squall88?