Hot Gym

The temperature in council gym I go to is usually in the region of 25c as I am heat intolerant I can only manage to stay in there for 15 to 20minutes . I need advice on getting the most out of my short session.  

Comments

• I suggest abandoning the gym and running outside instead. Sorry but 25C is just stupidly hot for the UK.
  • I will agree with Richard, outside is best, however, with "summer" coming, there will be (a few) days that exceed 25C outside image
  • Can you not ask for it to be lowered? The Gym i go to i often turn it down myself.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Heat intolerance is side effect of meds, I do run outside if weather cloudy and in the dark  I'm only using

treadmill cos thought it would be of the most benefit given the short time in the gym.  The organisation

that run the gyms are reducing the running times of air conditioning plant to reduce Carbon Footprint 

• LOL, I love the irony there.
  • Meds or no meds, I'd find 25 degrees FAR too hot to be exercising in.

If they've no intention of running their gym at a sensible temperature, I'd change gym (if you can) or go outside and save the gym fees.

• It would be handy if you're trying to acclimatise for a hot race though ? Enter the Marathon des Sables straight away !
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Yup, I second the advice to run outside or change gym.

Alternatively, look at ways to keep cool. Try a Buff bandanna soaked in cold water beforehand.

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    tell the managament that unless they turn the heat down you will start exercising in the nude.........if you're built anything remotely like me, they will reach for the switch immediately..........
  • Thanks  guys for replies but still need advice on how to get most of gym session
  • I suggest 2 mins warmup and then a hard hill or interval session followed by a 2 min warmdown. Its about the only worthwhile thing I can think of.

• will try it out  tomorrow
  • I don't go to my gym any more... Outside is a must!

They nailed the windows shut to stop people opening them and messing up the air con, with the consequence that it's a horrible, sweaty place to be now. Urgh!! image
  • I think people are not giving you advice on the gym session because whats the point trying to work around such ridiculous circumstances when you could just go outside?

Also I would be very surprised if the gym wasn't breaching some kind of health and safety regulation allowing the gym to be that hot. They are leaving themselves wide open to be sued if some poor bastard passes out from the heat. 

• I have several health issues one of  which prevent sme from running outside if it is sunny and warm.

when weather is like that it is either gym or running well after sunset. In the winter I seldom go to the

gym

• I think I'd much rather have an injured hip than be taking meds that make me heat intolerant....image Injured hips can be looked after and mended - chronic illnesses are yours for life. Back to the point...

put some ice cubes in your water bottle to keep it cooler

see if you can plug a fan in near the treadmill - if they don't have one then take your own

go to the gym early in the morning if you can when it's cooler

wet your towel so that you can wipe the sweat off with something cool

as for the session - I guess you could gently warm up and then do hill reps on the tready - you'll be knackered in no time - or do a speed session if the tready is fast enough: 5x1min @ 16k with 2 mins rest or something. 

Sorry I can't help any more.

Good luck.

• Jesus christ, does EVERY thread have to turn into a "Look at me, I am so poor hard doneby" D2D?, was it really neccesary to put "Make the most of it - I can't get out 'cause I'm injured! Wish a hot gym is all I had to worry about!"

I mean, I am sorry for you leg and everything, but by god am I getting bored to flipping death of hearing about it.

• D2D -I didn't know you had a stress fracture as I can't keep up with all your threads.
    But I would still rather have your stress fracture which will heal IF YOU LET IT than whatever problem causes someone to be heat and sun intolerant. I've seen this type of problem first hand and believe me, believe me your stress fracture is NOTHING, NOTHING in comparison

This thread isn't about you.

• LOL, I love this forum so so comic.

Back to the point.  I would suggest the odd weights session for your 20 mins.  If you walk to the gym, that's your warm up.  And how about swimming to mix it up a bit?

(May be repeating things, sorry, but only time to skim read).

Good luck

• You're really not a nice person, are you? I really hope you're a troll and deliberately winding people up. If not, I think I feel sorry for you as you're obviously not a well person.
  • I thought this was a thread about gym sessions, not D2D's injury...

D2D - shut up, rest, and let it heal

As for the gym sessions, I know a fellow runner who's asperger's and with that has trouble with extremes of temperature. Perhaps try and take a break after 20 mins in the gym and then go back, just a walk around the block or something to cool down, then you get 40 minutes gym time - even if it does have to be split.

• tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭

Intervals??- 400m with 200m rest breaks- on a tready at 1 degree incline- 30 minutes of that kills me!. Ice wrapped in towel- or put your towel in the freezer at home, and take it along in a cool bag so it's still cold? 

Complain to someone in writing.

• Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

25c is too hot.

ASk them to turn it down, if they dont write a letter and complain....I am sure there are 'guidelines' as to how hot somewhere should be..(unlike cold...where it has to be above a certain temp)

...not sure about cardio side of things as to what would be 'best'....but doing some 'core' strength work, work on glutes also would be a good use of time.