Should I run 13 miles??!!

Comments

• Whatever runs you get in before then remember to relax and not worry. Can you walk 13.1 miles? If the answer is yes then there is nothing to worry about at all.

Start toward the back (so you aren't passed by millions in the first mile), take your time to warm up over the first 5k and then settle down from there on in. If you feel comfortable then try picking off runners in front of you one at a time and steadily, no quick changes in speed (unless you can see the finish line!). That will make it much more enjoyable experience.

I had run over 12 miles for my first half marathon. On the day I was stressed out. Rediculous..I wasn't there to win! I should have treated it like I did my second the GNR which I loved every minute of. There I followed my first paragraph, started really slowly, and knocked 15 mins off my first half marathon time.

• started near the back, went really steadily, felt good at 7 miles. finished in 2hrs 2mins !! absolutely chuffed to bits.
  • I am doing the GNR on Sunday for first time and am very nervous. Had been suffering with bad stomach but now seemed to have sussed what to eat before long run. Did over 1 hour and 40 minutes on saturday although was circuits and not sure of actual distance. Think I can do it but am getting a bit stressed now. Will just see how it goes.
  • good luck to everyon for sunday - just enjoy it
  • need help to try and improve my 1/2m time ready for the midnight run in tromso norway 18th june
    four village 2h.57m
    ironbridge 1/2m 2h.52m
    hope to do the twywn 1st may
    the chester 1/2m 22 may
    any one out there can help me
    kathy
  • Hi,

I'm having trouble as well. Everything was going really well up until a week ago, had a great 9 mile long run was supposed to go for my long run yesterday but my shin's were playing up. I don't know what to do now, shall I try my long run tomorrow?

I know it's close to the race but if I don't, by the time the GNR comes round it will have been 4 weeks since a long run!

HELP!!!
  • Nilly

Go to Bupa GNR thread for chat about this...

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?UTN=54361&URN=6&dt=4&srchdte=0&cp=96&v=6&sp=

Lots of like-minded people who are all doing this race - sure somebody will be able to offer advice....
  • Help!!

I completed my first 12 miler in preparation for the GNR and since then I have only managed to run 5 miles and two 2.5 milers because my knee feels like its going to pop out!!

I was going really well have been training for 4 months and was very chuffed to be able to run 12 miles but now all my confidence is lost and I dont know whether I will be fit enough!!!!
  • Sorry I should say that it was 4 weeks ago since my biggest run. So i have had 3 short runs in 3 weeks and the run is on Sunday!!! Eeeek
  • I have rearly enjoyed reading the messages
    i have managed the leek 1/2, then the wolverhampton 1/2 and last sunday the great lake vyrnwy i was please with my time 2h.43m i hope to improve my time in the next few 1/2m thanks everyone. any one running the meebrook i will do it for my 62nd birthday treat ... better than the tele
    kathy
    the mad women from broseley
  • Go for it peter,I'm just startiing up again after 10 years off but the Bristol was one of my faves,Its pretty flat and really enjoyable,Don't miss out on the opportunity.I let me running go some years back and have regretted every day.Halfs are great,hit that 10 mark and fire on all cylinders ,Go for it fella!!
  • Go for it! But don't do the 13 miles training run. I had exactly the same dilema two weeks ago. Injured training for the Robin Hood half and hadn't done the full distence. I took the advice of my club coach, kept my runs short and sharp before the race and smashed my PB by 4mins!
  • Peter, Don't do it! I mean whats the point, you only end up back where you started except tired and sore!

or you could admit the only reason you posted on here was to confirm what you already know.............You want to do it are going to do it and just wanted a bit of extra confidence.
    You've probably already told most people your doing it. You'd look alot worse in their eyes saying your pulling out without even trying!
    Whats the worst that happens. You try, you die and end up walking. So what you'll have finished it!
    Don't turn up at the start line and you won't complete it (obvious really) just that not having tried will hurt alot more than being knackered for a couple of hours!

• Hi I going to do the great north run,Im struggling with training but I know however I will get past the post. It might be on my Knees but I am going to do it. You are expecting so much but use it for your own wellbeing.Goodluck!!!!!!!!
  • It's great that no matter if it is 2002 or 2008... we still want to help people no matter how many years ago they needed help! Shows that running problems never change image We never train enough... but always do better than we thought....
  • I know....Ive just read the whole thread and it was very inspiring reading everyones motivational posts, regardless of the fact the orginal post was years ago!!!! image

....its just re-convnced me that after my very 1st 10k in 3 weeks I will probably be able to do a 1/2 M race.

• If you can run a 10km race then a half marathon isn't far way image  With a bit of training... believe me.... I only ever ran 10km until last year....
  • Hi Peter,

I am roughly in the same boat as you, I have been running for a couple of years, starting with "race for Life" like a lot of ladies, I got the bug and have gradually built up, from 5k, to 10k, to a 9 mile - I now feel ready for a half, I am very tentative, I did the Wheathampstead 10k on Sunday in 55 minutes, it was a cross country and I found it hard going and was very tired at the end, don't know if I'm capable of a 13 plus run, I only do one 9 miler and maybe one or two smaller runs a week, but I have been told if you can run 9 you can manage the extra 4 on the day!  The St. Albans half is on the 8th June and I have heard its always hot, I'm not a great runner in warmer weather.

I just need a bit more confidence, and try to not hit that "big wall" in the first few miles, I am running with a teacher at the school I have never run with her before, think I'll take my ipod in case I end up without her, I seem more settled when running with someone.

Anyway good luck to you, I'm sure we'll both be fine!!!  Sally

• HI PETE SAME BOAT REALLY WAS TRAINING WELL FOR LONDON MARATHON THIS YEAR BUT UNFORTUNATLEY MY MUM DIED EASTER WEEK.STOPPED TRAINING FOR 5 WEEKS JUST STARTED AGAIN 6 MILES AT ATIME DOING THE HUMBER BRIDGE HALF MARATHON NEXT MONTH HOPING FOR 2 HRS BEING 51 AND ALL THAT BUT I NOW RUN TO ENJOY NOT TO BREAK RECORDS JUST RUN AT A SPEED THAT IS COMFORTABLE FOR AND MOST OF ALL ENJOY IT YEH GOOD LUCK ROB 
  • Peter,

what's the weather like back there in 2002?

Good luck with the half.

• Hi all,

looking for similar advice,im tempted to run in the M.k. Half on July 20th this year.My training is going ok,but iv'e only managed 7.5miles as my long run.Is 4 weeks long enough to bring myself up to distance? A runner friend told me to get to 10miles then taper down and i should be fine,does this sound do-able?

Matt. 

• Hi, this is Peter Miller - 6 years on!

I did run the Bristol Half back in 2002 in a time of just over 2hours.  Having done it, I rather lost my motivation and stopped running.  Until six weeks ago that is.  I'm back again, slower, older and as a beginner but up to 50 minutes running.

I had a great day and now it is time to start thinking about it again.....

• Well done! You still did it. That is a great achievement.

Welcome back.

• Wow - can't believe that you managed close to two hours! Welcome back.

I'm in the same boat - GNR in a month and 7.5 miles (1 hour 5) my best run yet. What should I do - try to get up to 10 miles and then taper down?

Any advice from those wiser appreciated!

• Just seen that Matthew Lambert  3was in the same boat - how did you get on?
  • Hey Peter! Glad you came back 6 years on and said your time! Good for you! You may have just made up my mind to enter a 1/2 i've been thinking about! Good luck with the come back x image
  • Yep I think you might have pushed me into the confidence boost i need. Just done a 10k today in 47mins and I was planning on doing a half marathon in a fortnight as I've been running for years but never done one. I can run 13miles max but I've been getting a bit scared by the lack of structure in my running might mean I can't run it in a good time! Heck, I know I should just go for it seeing as you did Peter!! x
  • Ran my second half yesterday with my wife (this was her first).We have both not done as much training as we would have liked to, myself I have been running 9 miles max and Tania, 8 miles max.  This has been due to injury, working away from home and generally life getting in the way.  We finished the Cardiff half in 2hr 16mins and REALLY enjoyed it.  We knew it wasn’t going to be easy, running never is but you and your body is capable of a lot more than you think.  At this level its not about the winning or the glory, its about you and your goals. Your own personal glory.Get your shoes on, hit the pavement and enjoy it. Don’t break your back, don’t over do it but just think 13.1 miles is bloody long way and if you can just finish that then you SHOULD be proud of yourself.   As a good friend of mine said to me once"Don’t wish it was easier, wish you where tougher!"