Cardiff Half-Marathon

Comments

• Credit where it's due - past issues have been pretty much sorted.

Course was as good as it has been.  Good distance before the first narrowing points.  Not TOO much park.  Nice regular changes of type of scenery.  Not too much of running in one direction while seeing runners two miles ahead of you on the other side of the field.  Runner's village was quite nice.  Pens worked out quite well (with the help of Red Dragon nagging everyone every two minutes).

Well done Jean et al.

Just a couple of little gripes. 1)  Water stations could have done with being 'pre-signed'  "Water 200m on left"......and kept to one side, so that there was a clear path on the other side.  2)  The 6 and a bit mile water station highlighted these problems by being in a bit of the course where the path was too narrow to accommodate it.  3)  Baggage claim - total mess, needs to be rethought.  4)  The number of toilets was OK, but with the smaller bank being nearer the runners village, the queues were very long, because many didn't realise that there was a larger bank of toilets round the far side of the building.  5)  Repatriation - the race is now getting big enough to give this some thought.  The enormous numbers of friends and family waiting just beyond the chip bins caused some problems getting through there.

As I said, fairly trivial gripes compared with some years.  Some 'icing on the cake' and some of them are developmental issues to think about as the race has become bigger.

Definitely the best yet and a big race organised in Cardiff to be proud of.

• Yay PB shaved 3 mins off my time.......OK so I still only did it in 2 hours 6 mins-praps I need more pasta, more relaxation....oh and a bit more training! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_33_12.gif http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_33_12.gif http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_33_12.gif  

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb114&pp=ZJxdm025MXGB
  • great to see the organisers have listened to feedback, i mentioned this last year the lack of  publicity and the few supporters roadside.  this year tons of media coverage, a record turnout of runners and supporter on the road side. excellent guys!!!!
  • Just missed the early news on BBC1 Wales.I firgot it was on early to make way for some clowns in cars driving round in circles.That's not a sport.
  • Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy ...my first half marathon and boy did i get a buzz from it.  Have been in doubt as to weather i would get around after picking up an achillies injury but have nursed it through, missed loads of training but i got around in 1hr 46mins.  Missed just about every water station but enjoyed the views and the course was great.......no hills at all was a bonus!!!!!!! 

Only a couple of gripes........first being it was nigh on impossible to get into the right timing section so started way back and spent the next nine miles weaving past people ...apologies to anyone i might have bumped into!!!!! 

The baggage reclaim was ludicrous and something that needs to be dealt with.  One hour waiting in a queue was horrible.....and that was with three guys letting me in with them instead of going to the back of the queue. 

All in all though a great morning, great weather, great company with like minded peeps, great views and a GREAT run.

Thanks Cardiff.

• Good race and well done to the organisers for listening, Bath please take note.

Just had a Radox bath and ready for my well earned Sunday dinner.

Just found downloadable alternative race results here ... Cardiff Half results 2009

Ps Well done to Batman and Robin  but where was Cat-woman? image

• RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I won.

Not the race that everyone else was doing, just my race.

It was me vs. 1:30, and it was all up for grabs in the last mile and a half, then with the big blue banner in sight I took him on and pounded him into the dull grey tarmac.

Chip time on the above site link that Jezza put there says 1:29:11.  I am my own hero.

Congrats to all above, especially big congrats to all for whom this was their first half!  Well done on the PBs, and may there be many more!  DB9, I missed you, but who cares, you won too!  Daz, how was yours?  PinguPu, know you thrashed yours too, f$£%ing well done!!

Sorry about the french.  I'm just off to sign up to about thirty or so events before I cool down... image

• Well, what can I say, well done all.

That is spot on pacing Stay Celt, fantastic.  Fab PB DB9, plus the rest of you, big congrats.  The sub 1:30 is a big milestone Ratzer, glad you made it. 

Well sniffles and all, at start I told club-mates I'd be happy with low 1:30's, perhaps 1:32 ish.  Went off quite strong, and seemed comfortable throughout.  At 10 mile point, knew I was well inside a PB time (which is 1:28:00), and simply needed 3 X 7m/mile to achieve it.  Worked hard, and finished strongly with 1:26:29, so well feckin' chuffed. imageimageimage

With a bit more prep, and no sniffles and shite, perhaps a sub 1:25 might be achievable.

• Bloody outstanding results everyone! Enjoy the beer,wine and or whiskey!
  • Have a pint too Spike, I've had a few already.

Just panicked though and thought I was pissed already.  I'M NOT IN THE OFFICIAL RESULTS - yet.image  I know I officially finished, as they texted me my official time.  However, within results it jumps from position 247 to 266, and I reckon I'm at about 250. 

I'm sure they'll put formal results out shortly.

AGain, well done all and enjoy the celebrations.

• XKXK ✭✭✭
    Did you all see the army team sweating with their 40lb backpacks and full kit? I think they came in about just over two hours.
  • RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

Hey, Spike (well off thread in the sentence forum - heehee!), I don't know if I'll be drinking tonight, as I haven't drunk for about a month now.  If I start, I don't think I'll be able to stop!

daz!  You made it too!  There's got to be something really good about this race with so many excellent times.  So:
    1)  They laid on the weather - don't think it could have been much better for runners and supporters alike.
    2)  Water, though tight in places, was plentiful and cold enough to go down the back of your neck superbly.
    3)  The pacers were spot on - seconds from their marks, and pleasant to run with.
    4)  The massage was a dream.  Two masseuses, one on each leg, pleasant and chatty too.
    5)  As much Powerade as you could carry in the village afterwards - that was a bonus.
    6)  In Wales.

• Yep - I saw them, my mate said he thought they were Marines, excellent effort by them allimage
  • Made it round in a new PB 1:50:58 smashing previously very embarassing PB. Perfect weather and lovely flat course, didn't think you could get flatter than Southend! Cardiffs a lovely city. Well worth the trip!
  • Just having my pre dinner sherry! Life is rather refined and genteel in the rural Vale dont you know! What! What!
    Then I intend TO GET BLADDERED! imageimage
  • Course change was better, some water stops were a nightmare, i lost a lot of ground on stray celt and i couldnt catch him, maybe that was cos i was knackered tho!  Still did 1.42.49 so i was pleased as it was a PB.

Found it hard getting into my time zone because of the railings, luckily managed to find a gap where someone had lifted the railings up

good support

timing chip area was too crowded, needs to be rethought

Will race again in 2010

• He he, thanks Ratzer, and jolly well done to you too image I'm well freakin pleased with my 1.49, bye bye 1.50s, mwah ahahahha.  That said, I felt like I was going to die from about 7 miles ...

Whoever ordered the weather, well done!  Perfect. 

Liked the course, though if the organisers want to increase the field size they'll have to rethink the course, it was very narrow and I was penned in quite a bit down the barrage.

Shame about the baggage, I was lucky, got mine in a few minutes but my mate was queueing for over an hour image though luckily I had a spare jumper for her.

Anyway, I overall I thought, very very good and well done Cardiff.... scuttles off to do event rating ....

• The results link seems to have the Cat positions on Gun time rather than Chip time.
  • I wonder if next year we could have apple sauce instead of the random cranberry sauce!  ...and maybe some PAXO.  Just an idea.
  • it was my very first event thought the atmaspheir was brill and would like to thank all the men and women that helped me to compleat in 2:31 grate day might just do it again next year
  • Fab day out - I got a PB - now I'm having a drink or seven....image

Cheers Cardiff...lets make a date for next year..

• I'm enjoying a glass of brandy.  I would like a glass of red really but that would mean getting off the sofa and going out and getting a bottle waaaaay to much effort.....
  • I'm enjoying a glass of cranberry sauce with a men's shower gel mixer! Mmmmm.
  • Easy on the cranberry sauce, don't want to overdo it after a race now ....
  • Well as my first Cardiff I thought it was excellent, my only gripe is the number of people in front of me who were obviously not capable of the times they thought they were. Finished in 1:38 would have been a bit quicker had I not have to pass around so many. But still a fantastic event with so much support on the course, will deffo do next year.
  • Had a fantastic day, my first ever half marathon and my second proper race. Finished in 1:43, but I know I can do much better than that.

I'm deffinately doing this again next year and will be aiming for 1:30. 

The run along the barrage, with the sun in the distance, was breathtaking.

• well done every one had my entry accepted very late so didnt get enough time to train for my pb of 0.59.59 (not really)but i did manage a  stroll of 1.29 odd, not pb but cracking course good support only gripe dont like cranbery sauce, well organised and well done .ps.bag at the end with its fillings was crap
  • no gripe just tried it i do like cranberry sauce where have i been for all my life signing off with my cranberries!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Do you think the organisers are suggesting we're a bunch of turkeys?
  • Great race, in so much pain, the lack of training told!

Limped home in 2:14. Bring on Reading and my sub two hours with lots of effort

Oh yeah quick thanks to NCP car parks, £12 for 3 and a half hours - Bargain!! to55ers