Cardiff Half-Marathon

Comments

• RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

Ta, mad mark, I think I'll sign up but not get my hopes up then.  It'll be my first 13.1 of the year so it'll be a good test whatever.

So what are the good ones for PBs, outside of Cardiff?  Not GNR... EDIT: and not Torfaen (wouldn't count).

• Ratzer the only other half I did early in the year is the Tregaron Half or known as Ras cors caron up in ceredigion about 1 and half  hour north of swansea,Its not PB but a really nice freindly low key event .Normally 2nd weekend in Feb
  • RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

Official photos still not up though.  With the speed they got the times up I'd have thought they'd have a first batch up already!  Ta for the link, daz, but can't get any of the Wales Online pics to show at my workplace.  Hafta wait till this evening.

Then I can laugh at you all - Mwahahahaaa! image

• That 10% is before the start.

I did Llanelli 2007, and yes the wind was a killer for the last 3 miles. Daz do you have or know of where I can find the results as I dont have them, and of the 3 half's I've done that was the fastest. But dont know the exact time, I know it was low 1:30's

• Pebble - it's your luck day!  image  Being the saddo that I am, I have a copy of the results file myself. Either email me from RW and I will send you the complete file or tell us your name and I'll paste your time details here.

Did myself a dis-service too, I did it in 1:30:28, not the 1:30:29 I stated lol.  That 1 second makes all the difference. image

Ratzer - some other halves of note I enjoyed are Gloucester and Dymock, a very small event with a few hills but very enjoyable.

• RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

daz, 1 second really does make all the difference!

Bristol 2005 - 1:33:40
    Bristol 2009 - 1:33:39 NEW PB!!!! (at the time but now smashed!!!!!)

• You have email, cheers
  • Damn likn didn't work

• yes my official time was 1 second faster than my watch time. 
  • You can do a lot in 1 second image

Watch my amazing sprint finish at photos 886-889 Ratz, no laughing allowed.

Mail returned Pebble!

• Yipppee 1:34:40 thats my pb from 2007, 1:38:26 at Cardiff 2009. Something to aim for at Torfaen.
  • 1hr 37.49s at 50yrs so pleased but thought the goody bag was rubbish its half the price at torfaen and you get a dodgy tee shirt thrown in. did anyone else nearly run into the red car which was still stuck in the road 400 yds from the start, and what a waste of all those powerade bottles(one sip then dumped) i kept mine until 12miles then threw in a bin...

just thought it was very poor value for moneyimage

• RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

I'd certainly pay £26 to beat my PB by another 4 minutes, without running downhill.  image

On those powerade bottles, it might make sense to have someone standing near the bins with some antibac wipes and a table, handing them back out again.  I offered mine around.  I did wonder, what with the waste of liquid at most events, why they don't make special smaller bottles for big events.  A 100-150ml bottle of water would make sense.

• This was my 3rd Cardiff Half and, in my opinion, the best organised to date. The course was a big improvement on the 2008 version.

At 26 notes it is not a cheap event to enter but I don't have a problem paying that high a fee for a well-organised race which I feel this was.

Goody bags don't excite me so no complaints from me there. Running in an event where thousands are out watching is worth more than a T-shirt I would say.

Agree with the above comment concerning the Powerade. I think these would have been better placed and more appreciated later in the race, perhaps at 7/8 miles ? Water would have been fine up until then.

I will definitely be back for more next year !

• Yeah Pebble - a top 100 finish!

Russ - these races are offering less VFM year on year, a sign of the times I'm afraid.  Also, in the race booklet it already shows that prices are going up next year, by a further £2, that's about 8%.  I thought we were in a state of deflation?

Some races do use smaller bottles, indeed the water on Sun were a reasonable size.  Those 500ml Powerade were such a waste.

• CPI is the lead measure of inflation these days and is running at 1.1%, however, if you look at the older measure the RPI, then we are indded in a state of deflation at -1.4%.

• RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭
    Told you Rhodri Morgan was just looking at the money!  More runners, higher entry fee per runner, but roads only shut for the same length of time so shopping fine.  Bring in crowds to watch, in fact, boosting the economy.  Get national coverage on TV.  All good, and these dumb runners don't mind paying more either... image
  • But surely we should get a discount fo being locals like image

• RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

Vote Rhodri, get 10% off the Cardiff Half!  image

(10% off 13.1 and I'd defo beat my PB!!)

• then we agree this race is a rip off. lots of the runners do the charity bit(i gave £50 to my mate) but there is nothing special in this race someone please tell me what good is one fishermans friend, couple of tea bags and a cough drop. I say again the worst goody bag ever.For £28 i expected a little better.
  • There is a certain appeal to running with 8,000+ others, that is different from running with 500 others.  Some like it, some don't.  If you want to run with 8000+, you have to pay the going rate for the privelige.  If you want value for money, you do one of the ones with less than 500 others.
  • The cost of entry isn't just about the charity's "cut" or how good,(or not so good the goody or not so goody  goody bag is. The local services have to be paid for their services,the police will need paying overtime,local council workers,park and ports authority staff also come into the equation.
    If it's any consolation the goody bag at this years Great North was probably the worst ever, and after doing 19 of those I know what I'm talking about,but will it stop me doing that race again,or Cardiff? Of course not. I enter to enjoy the day.That's what it's all about.Enjoy the day.
    At least it is for me. 
  • just one point the police dont get paid overtime its a cancelled rest day,hence the police hate any event in cardiff.
  • Cost me an extra £35 for a massage to enable me to walk up and down the stairs again after the race-so the fee was cheap comparitively!!!!
  • I dont know about you but I dont give a rats ass about the goody bag, in my mind £28 for a mornings entertainment is good value for money.

• RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

I paid about 8 squid for a bag just like that goody bag so my boy could take his PE kit to school.  The four bottles of Powerade we took home in it were prob a squid each.  I got a massage in the tent, one masseuse per leg, so that's either 35 or 70 squid, judging by not so fit's post.  Was gonna get me gait tested by ACE, but missed out on that one.  It did cost me a ton when I had it done at their place, though that included orthotics and free follow ups, so perhaps say it was worth a tenner if I had gone to do it.  So conservatively I've got 57 squid in value out of that 28 I paid.

Plus one PB.  Priceless.

• Ratzer  http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_21.gif http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_21.gif!!!  So you owe them!!!!!!  Even better! 

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb113&pp=ZJxdm025MXGB
  • j0n3syj0n3sy ✭✭✭
    Welsh Alex wrote (see
    )

j0n3sy - I am doing Snowdon and am a bit gutted to miss Torfaen. The wf*e has already told me that no way is she getting out of bed at 5am to drive back from North Wales image I had so wanted to do the double this weekend.

LOL. Run both in one weekend....Rather you than me!
  • Some races are rip-offs, some are not.  We could argue all day, but in the end it's down to us to pick which ones we want to participate in, for whatever reason.

Would I do this one again?  Probably, have done it the last 4 times (incl the Full in 06).