Cardiff Half-Marathon

Comments

• Think like Daz, this was the best Cardiff race to date, did the full in 2006, no start pens, problems with water, bottlenecks.

Half in 08 & 09, this is one of the fastest courses in the UK, (PB 1.10.12), and also one of the prettiest city course, tons of the sights only downside is the lack of a top international runner  running close to the hour mark. This race will get more popular.

Expensive but a great race, for the ones who say not again at that price, this is the capital and needs a big running event, and Nottingham nearly lost its marathon when the council pulled out, so support it!  

• RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

I stand by the statement that this is one of the more expensive halfs.  But I also believe based on my experience this time that it is good value.  So I've signed up for next year.  image  (I don't believe I'll make £2 interest by leaving the money in the account...)

Now my challenge is to get Newport to host a 10k 4-5 weeks before, to get the locals warmed up.

• Indeed - this race has been getting better year on year, very few races are perfect.  Having experienced no problems at all myself this year, I rate this years as the best to date.

We've already lost the Full Marathon, and I understand that Wales is one of only a handful of European countries who don't have a Capital City Marathon.  This is shocking IMO, so we need to ensure the Half remains!

• Is it time for a big sponsor to step in? The obvious one is BUPA .With Virgin taking on the London role though for the next few years, perhaps Cardiff would be a good bet for them as well?
  • j0n3syj0n3sy ✭✭✭
    Ratzer wrote (see)

I stand by the statement that this is one of the more expensive halfs.  But I also believe based on my experience this time that it is good value.  So I've signed up for next year.  image  (I don't believe I'll make £2 interest by leaving the money in the account...)

Now my challenge is to get Newport to host a 10k 4-5 weeks before, to get the locals warmed up.

That would be excellent. Shame they ditched the 20M clock-to-clock run from Newport to Tradegar. That was a police decision wasn't it? image

Distinct lack of local runs around here now...

And photos still not up on the website yet...

• RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

I didn't know about that one, j0n3sy, but reading up it was run again last year as a one off.  Originally it was stopped because somebody was run over and killed.

I've noticed the lack of local runs.  Well, Lliswerry do a few, Islwyn do a few, lots of local clubs do local races.  But very few ones that are attracting large numbers or a large spread of runners.  They do need big coverage and big sponsors for that though.  Also very few halves and maras, though there are plenty of other races of all lengths.  I would have hoped that Newport and Swansea would have fairly attractive Halves, and Cardiff a Full.  It's the city runs we're really missing.

Anybody organised a big race before?

• Didn't BUPA sponsor the Great Welsh Run last year, that was a rip-off, about £23 for a 10K.  Glad to see this year it reverted itself back to it's original Corus-led 5-miler.

Pictures are up - just been looking at mine, althought they never notified me, I just get fed up of waiting and took a peek image

• Lively debate from the locals among you.

As an outsider - I enjoyed the race.  I'll be back next year and would hope to be able to stay for day and take in the sights.

I wont be signing up until after VLM - and hope to cross threads with you soon..

• BUPA were main sponsors back in 92 and 93 for the Great Welsh Run (I still have the t shirts!) and then pulled out due to lack of local council support.As Daz rightly points out they then took over the Cystic Fibrosis Corus 5m and charged the Earth.

Local Cardiff races are now very few. The Run And Become 2,3 and 4 miler are still going strong as are the SSAFA 5K's in the Summer months.There is also the regular Park run every Saturday morning.

Further afield are the Atlantic College 10K (tthe other side of Llantwit Major towards Bridgend).tThis race was resurrected this year after disappearing for a couple of years.It's usually held late March or eraly April.
    Finally there is the famous Merthyr Mawr Christmas Pudding race.

Anyone know of any others?

• We have the Margam Park Reindeer Run 10K to look forward to sometime in December, and for ladies there is the Fireworks 5 in about a few weeks time.

Not forgetting the excellent Nos Galan 5K race.  The Old Father Time race is end Dec/early Jan as well isn't it?

• Pembrey multi terrain 10 miler is a cracking race in November,gets a good crowd up from cardiff area.
  • Old Father Time is for us oldies Daz, you are far too young and handsome!
    (Now were's the money??) image 
  • Don't know about the cities but Llanelli is doing well. There events are gowing in number, quality and size. The 10 mile MT in Pembrey is an excelent one so is the Llanelli Half and its only in its 4th year.

The half only had 250 entries in the first year, this year there was over 1600 entries; nextyear who knows.

Here is a link to their events list CLICK

I will be doing the 10 Mile MT the Half and hopefully the 10k ... can't swim so will not be doing the triathlon image

• Son and I will be doing Llanelli next year......Bath has proced itself out of the market now! If you thought Cradiff was expensive check out Bath. A damn good and well organised event but it's reached it's final price rise for me.
  • RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

I've got the form for the Llanelli half printed out.  Didn't want to pay the extra £2.50 to RW for hosting a payment page - now there is a rip-off!

I can't swim either, Jabber.  Well, I can, but talk about boring!

• AAAAAAArrrrgh ! If there is one thing that really winds me up its people moaning about "goody bags", my club run a race which last time we gave out a good quality technical shirt in a range of sizes that actually fitted runner-shaped people and we still had people moaning about a lack of pointless medals and not having £2.50 of tat from Poundstretcher in their bag.

My advice is don't enter the race, just go and buy some pointless tat instead, for me the ideal race charges a lower entry fee and gives me nothing at the end. It is after all about running isn't it ?

Oh and I've run 104 races this year, I have kept one shirt, the Machen Mountain 10K one because its a bit different and Machen costs about 6 quid.

• Just seen the question about local races, err is this a wind up ? On the off-chance it isn't and taking local as South Wales

Richard Burton 10K

Lliswerry 8

Pontypridd Reverse 10

Overpriced PPUK 10K

San Domenico 20

Porthkerry Plod

Pentyrch Hill Race

Sirhowy 10

Rose Inn 4 Mile series (May, June, July, Aug)

The resurrrected Cardiff 5 Mile Round the Bay

Swansea Bay 5K series (only Aug does not clash with Rose Inn though)

Merthyr Mawr Lane 5K

Llanwonno 5

Aberdare 10K

Scenic 7 (the best race I personally know of)

Tintern Trot

Brecon 3, 4, 5 series

Brecon 10

Machen Mountain 10K

Tour of Torfaen

This is just for starters before I actually do some thinking

• RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭
    Don't need to think, Dom, just go on the events page and use Wales in the filter.  The point was more about city races.  The big race, long distance events, with crowds and goody-bag gripes.  Events, more than races.  Events that make new runners think they really want to do it again.  Machen Mountain 10k and Sirhowy 10m didn't give me the bug - I'm glad I already had it by then!  Racing is what I do it for now, but if my first event had been up around the Cwmcarn cycle tracks I'm not sure I'd have been so buzzed at the end of it.  I may be wrong there, but I don't think I would have seen the thrill.
  • The cheque is in the post Spike image

Calm down Dom, think of the blood pressure lol.  image  I only listed imminent races, but Dom has provided a much more comprehensive list for us of races (1 or 2 of which were mentioned) throughout the year.

I'm gonna be lazy, nowt much planned for me yet!

• Thanks for the birthday pressie Daz!! image

Lestsh get pished! image

• I don't actually have to look up any race info, when you do as many races as I do its just a case of thinking a bit. I'm perfectly calm, just expressing what I think of "big race tourists"
  • Dominic I think you are like me you just like racing,although i have not done as many as you,on about 26 so far this year.

i really enjoyed cardiff but still prefer the little club races with about 80 or 90 entries of which there are loads down in our west wales championships

.Yes the Sd 20 tee shirt was a good one its my favorite.image

• Coincidentally, I was even wearing my SD20 t-shirt last night when one of your club buddies came round my house Dom pmsl image
  • Just to put prices in perspective, I'm doing a race next month, entry fee, take a deep breath now.....£275

Yep thats not a typo £275, and I think I get value for money for that, so £27 for Cardiff was a bargain.

• Ironman Arizona, Phoenix good ol US of A.
  • Send a postcard! And come back brown,as we used to say,oop North!

Good luck!!

• A friend of mine took the medal for first placed M60 ............. said it was a great course image
  • Newport also has a tendency to have a few "we didn't particularly bother to tell anyone unless you happened to be in the right place at the right time" charity events.  Some of which are runs, while others are 'designed for walks, but you can run if you want'.

For example - Campus-Campus, RGH 10k(ish), 3 peaks challenge, Newport 'pink fizz' half marathon

They are just really badly advertised.

I'm going to look out for the 3 peaks next year.  I saw it advertised on a blackboard outside a pub, which was race HQ.......and only remembered about it on the day when I saw a group of about 30 mixed walkers/runners heading off.  Mynydd Islwyn, Mynydd Machen and Twmbarlwm - sounds fun.

• RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭
    Wilde Rover wrote (see)

Newport also has a tendency to have a few "we didn't particularly bother to tell anyone unless you happened to be in the right place at the right time" charity events.  Some of which are runs, while others are 'designed for walks, but you can run if you want'.

For example - Campus-Campus, RGH 10k(ish), 3 peaks challenge, Newport 'pink fizz' half marathon

They are just really badly advertised.

I'm going to look out for the 3 peaks next year.  I saw it advertised on a blackboard outside a pub, which was race HQ.......and only remembered about it on the day when I saw a group of about 30 mixed walkers/runners heading off.  Mynydd Islwyn, Mynydd Machen and Twmbarlwm - sounds fun.

Heard about all except the RGH race, but I couldn't tell you when they happened because they didn't grab the attention.  Apart from the 3 peaks, which I wasn't too sure was a running race.  Are you serious that those three peaks sound fun!  image  Only in a "MyGodIDidIt!!" kind of way!  image  But the point you rightly make is that they are really badly advertised.  They aren't events, and they're not putting Newport on the running map.  A Newport athletics club is home to Steve Jones, and the city can't boast a major race?!  If the goody bag was signed by him I wouldn't care what was in it!  image

How about the Steve Jones Mara Challenge?  Beat my record.  Get a flat enough course and all the runners in Britain would want to see that!