Horndon Feast & Fayre 10K

I did this one a few years back, as a one off 10k for charity. Was one of the toughest and hottestI did at time. Thinking of doing it again, being better trained although still a little hefty image Is anyone on here doing it?

TracyB

Comments

• Hi TracyB! I'm considering this one as I'm a def no go now for the Southend Half. Just not done enough training...you still in for that one though? How you feeling about it? Anyway back to Horndon - why is it so tough? Does it have a village fair or something going on at the same time (that was part of the appeal for me)!

• Hi Pixie!

How are you? Oh.. shame re. Southend Half. Remind me why you can't do it?

Still recovering from 10mile Great Baddow last weekend image Was challenging (better word than tough?), and only did one 5k this week and legs still ache. Got the Bupa 10,000 this Monday and want to do a PB!

I did Horndon a few years ago for independant charity raising, and I didn't run regularly, or train properly like I do now. It was a fab atmosphere, lovely village events yes. I guess it was tough memories because it was very hot and very hilly (it's in the name image ) Still did my usual 10k time of around 1.06/1.08... trying for sub 60 now am training to be a proper runner image

Tracy

• Perhaps it's not as bad as I remembered... info says it's fairly flat apart from the big hill at the beginning (down) and the end (up), think maybe it was the heat, plus you run through fields/gravel paths for a bit. Okay, am entering... image
  • I was spectating at the Baddow 10 (with my Jack Russell!) as it runs past the end of my road. Was just before the 3 mile and then again the 6 mile marker. The rain was terrible wasn't it? We got soaked.

Basically I've not done enough training for Southend. I think I've only been out a couple of times since the marathon. I need to get back in the swing of it so am going to enter this one to give me some motivation!

I've got a friend doing the Bupa race. It's on the telly isn't it?
  • Oh! You would have seen me... about 5 from the back I think image I admired the supporters and marshalls. At least with running we weren't as cold. When the sun came out though it was burning as my body had got so cold in the wet clothes. Was a good run though and def. challenging.

I'm doing the Southend just to keep me running. What time would you have expected to do it in? If you only did the Marathon recently, you must be able to do a Half! My time is around 2.5 hrs image but then they have been hilly ones previously, and wet.

Yes, Channel 5 I think it is.  Printed off form for this one. Am going to it for 'a nice day out' by self image

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Hello Tracy and Pixie

I'm up for this one too having done it a few times. (Doing southend as well) Just got to send my entry of for this. Will post it tomorrow

Its not that bad, depends on the weather. Yes thers the hill go up it twice (used to have to go up it 3 times) and yes theres the gravel path seems to go on for ever but its a good race. Different organisers this year. So hopefully it will carry on being a good race. Local residents are good offering their hosepipes to those that need a little shower.

Apart from that its pretty good
  • Hello Pammie! Glad someone else is doing this. Is the hill a bad one? If it's a village fayre type thing I'm hoping for homemade cakes after!

Tracy how did you go today at the Bupa 10,000?

• Hey Pammie and Pixie! That makes three image

I did it but not a PB..did the usual 10k at 1hr 6.. did a harder St Albans 10k two weeks ago at 1hr 7! This should have been a dream... just depends on good days and bad I guess, but had a great social in the pub after with a few RW virtuals.! Oh.. I was on Capital Radio with Margherita Taylor first thing from home! She wanted people to txt in that was doing Bupa 10k! I was on there wishing RW virtuals good luck image Go Me!

• Oooh how spooky my friend did it in 1 hour 6 too!!  You must've seen each other!  And how cool you were on Capital Radio!  Go Tracy!

Have just printed off my entry form and will post it tonight....looked on the website and it described this race as 'gruelling'!!! 

• Hey Pixie.. posted mine tonight!

No! It was a fab atmosphere... lovely village.. there was a massive hill to go down right at the start, and you finish part way back up it.. or did. You run around gravel tracks and I think much of it was flat/undulating.. problem was it was very open country and very hot.

What time would you expect to do 10k in? Maybe we can do it together if you're by yourself ?

• AND just realised this is two days after Hard Rock Callin (the Killers at Hyde Park all dayer!) image
  • Hi Tracy...I'd expect to do it in about 1 hour ish!  And yes I'll be running on my own so happy to run with you although you probably won't be able to speak if you've been singing/screaming your head off a couple of days before! image
  • Enjoy the event everyone it is usaually a good day out for the family. Just a shame I am on holiday this year as I only live a couple of miles away and would have been good to meet with you all.  Maybe at Southend 10km in October...

Pixie c  I hope things are improving for you...image

• Ah the lovely Gatton!!  How are you?  Things aren't too bad with me thanks.   Maybe we could have a little forum get together after the Southend 10k then?  Hope you have a fab holidayimage
  • That is a definate Pixie C.         image     very glad you are OK       

There are a few from the FLM Virgin thread taking part as well.  Fish and chips all round I think or a picnic on the beach.

I am fine thanks. I am getting myself fit to attack the VLM next year. Sub 5 hrs for me I hope.Just using the bike at the moment. Training starts in easnest after the hols. Driving down to the Pau region of France for a couple of weeks.

• Hey Pixie, just back from lunch in Colchester for my son's birthday, with my mum and dad. Should have been out running but pizza, garlic and birthday cake mean it's prob not a good idea now either!

Would be happy to meet up. I'll be there myself.. but.. looking at 1hr 6 image based on Bupa 10,000 time...

goes off to look at Southend 10k in October......

• Come and join us TracieB. I didn't get the chance to meet you in London when we were at the  Nuns thingy.
  • Hi Gatton, Southend 10k is right inbetween my charity even of Two Half Maras in 2 weeks... I may have to walk it image. Didn't realise you were Nun's thingy?! Or maybe I did and just forgot....

Pixie, Nuns Run, fun run begin of May in London.. I don't usually dress like my pic image Do you?

• Two half maras in 2 weeks - tell me more....impressed!

Never heard of the nuns run but sounds fun!  And I am never fully dressed without my Pixie wings image

• Bleurgh... need to do more distances and def not prepared for southend in 2 weeks with little time for distance training - last half was Brentwood March.. for fun image

Nun's Run was a fun run! 850 people dressed as Nuns to promote Sister Act, running 4.6 miles through London by the Thames! Was good fun. I won tickets in free drawer for Sister Act theatre show too, for entering image

I am also..never without my horns image

• TracyB... Southend 10km is on October 4th.  
    Not the half marathon. Using it as a training run for the Great Eastern the week after in Peterborough,
  • Gatton, yes i know. I have RTTB London Half 27 Sep with London Parks 11 Oct... it falls right in the middle.. advice?
  • Come along and cheer the others along and enjoy the get together afterwards.......chill ....

• Oooh Gatton I was thinking of doing the Great Eastern too. Have you done it before? Any good?

Yes Tracy come to spectate at the Southend 10k and then join us after!
  • Pixcie C.. No never done that one before but it is as flat as you can make it and it is not too far away from me. Be good to see you there.
  • Sounds lovely image I might see if they need marshalls
  • Hi Tracy,

Remember me from the start of the Baddow 10... iPod crisis moment...? 

How's it going?

• LadySpark! Of course I remember!

Hmmm... not so great for running.. but otherwise life's okay image Have Southend Half soon.. can't remember if you're doing that? Did you do the Bupa 10k? How's with you?

Tracy, apart from a niggly right leg, I'm cool thanks.

Yep, I'm all signed up for the SOS half as long as me poorly pin is well enuf I'll be there!! Decided today to sign up for the Horndon too... the pubs are an added motivator! image  hic!

How was the Bupa run without your tunes?

Pixie C, sorry to butt in on the convo but thank you for braving the rain at Baddow, it was raining cats and dogs (no pun intended), but could I ask that if you are spectatoring next year a little stall with tea and cakes would be such a lovely touch! image