Ladies Shorts

My cropped leggings are getting slightly too warm for me now so I'm thinking about shorts. However, I'm not a stick-legged athlete and don't want to suffer from chaifage due to my legs rubbing together.

Simple/stupid question, but what should I be looking for in a pair of running shorts? Do I go for the flimsy baggy ones (don't know the proper name) or the cycling short types? I just want them to be comfortable, cool and prevent my legs rubbing together.

Ta image

Comments

• Fleet GirlFleet Girl ✭✭✭

Hi LK.  how is your running going?

Re the shorts I must try and convert you to a running skirt - I gave mine a trial run (haha) on Sunday and I love it!   It has cycling shorts underneath and then a skirt on top and is the most comfortable thing I have ever worn AND more flattering than just shorts into the bargain.

http://www.running4womenstore.com/hill-aspiration-powerlite-skort-ss09-p-156.html

I thought I might feel like a bit of an idiot running in a skirt but I didn't!

• Haven't tried a skirt/skort but have cycling type shorts and I find them very comfortable. My thinking was flappy fabric on baggy shorts would be more liable to chafe or ride up.

I'm not a twiglet (more like a cheese puff) but I really don't care what I look like running as long as I'm comfortable (I'd like to say I'm so fast people hardly see me, but that would be a big fat lieimage).

• Hi Fleet Girl just looked at the skirt link and it does look kind of fun but isn't the extra fabric of skirt and shorts even hotter?

• bol saucebol sauce ✭✭✭
    FG - thanks for info and website re ronhill skort. Had already looked at this and was going to order elsewhere at full price. x

Hmm, well I don't think it did make it hotter to be honest k.  I ran on Sunday morning and even at 8.30am it was really warm outside.  I am used to running in 3/4 length tights and so feeling the wind on my legs for once was bliss.  The skirt is quite light and so felt really nice.  I have never run in cycling shorts alone so can't really compare though.

bs - they have them at Amazon too for £21.99 (not sure what the delivery amount is) and they seem to have "indigo" as well as black.  Looks much the same as black on the pictures though!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ronhill-Aspiration-Powerlite-Womens-Running/dp/B001VD69QY

• Thanks FG might well give it a try defo too hot for 3/4 length now. Off out soon it's going to be hot again me thinks.

Have fun k.  I'm going to go out tonight around 6.30pm but I am guessing it will still be really hot then.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I use lycra shorts on their own (and I'm not skinny either) - nice and cool and comfortable, no chafing.

I've never tried the loose sort, though, so can't offer a comparison.

I don't really care what I look like when I run - practicality and comfort is the important thing.

• worn baggys, split shorts, sprint shorts and 3/4 tights, and full length tights.  the only problem i've ever had with any 'bottom half' clothes are the zips on the full length tights rubbing the back of my leg. if the shorts fit well you shouldn't have a problem with any style.  i've never seen anyone run in a skirt, and never knew they existed!
  • I got a running skort from TKMaxx last year for something silly like £3.99.  Not that I've been out in it yet, but it's having its first outing on Thursday morning! image
  • bol saucebol sauce ✭✭✭
    Time to shave my legs me thinks! Will be out at Humberside in couple of weeks in new skirt regardless of weather. I try to look half decent to start Wilkie, but when I've got going and sweating, it is just all wasted so I don't know why I bother!
  • MACbMACb ✭✭✭
    my missus still wears 3/4 length capris even when it is sweltering. She has some lycra shorts but will only wear them I run with her, I asked her why and she said there are too many weirdos about! Apparently she was heckled by white van passengers once whilst wearing her shorts. So I told her to ignore it and be less self conscious. I guess it is easy for us blokes to say ignore it, but why suffer at the expense of these idiots. Blokes are going to look at women in lycra whatever you do, some could be a little more subtle mind.
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

White van men will indeed make their comments whatever you wear.

As BS points out, you're going to end up red-faced and sweaty-haired in a short time, so how you look to start with is largely immaterial!

Wear what is comfortable and practical.  In the summer, for me, that means shorts and cropped tops, and letting the air get to my skin so that the sweat can evaporate.

• MACbMACb ✭✭✭
    I agree Wilkie, I have been telling my other half that for some time. Although i'd never worn a vest until 2 years ago when i started running, I was a bit self consious with my scrawny arms, but now I wear nothing but vests, they are simply the most practical and comfortable type of top to wear.
  • fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    "White van men will indeed make their comments whatever you wear"

like the one who leant out of his van and shouted at my missus

"nice tits love"

she said she couldn't stop smiling for a long while........
  • bol saucebol sauce ✭✭✭

Yo FB - bet you haven't said anything like that to your missus since your courtship days!! The compliments we women like from total strangers. I would just like someone to say 'nice arse', but dream on.

Ordered the skort (and some other stuff at same time, thank the lord for visa), so will be running across Humber Bridge in it week on Sunday I hope.

• I'm Glad this thread came up. I have also been looking for some shorts on the web.

In my opinion I think the Lycra are better but I can't give an honest comparison as I have never tried the loose shorts.

• Fleet Girl wrote (see)

Hi LK.  how is your running going?

Re the shorts I must try and convert you to a running skirt - I gave mine a trial run (haha) on Sunday and I love it!   It has cycling shorts underneath and then a skirt on top and is the most comfortable thing I have ever worn AND more flattering than just shorts into the bargain.

http://www.running4womenstore.com/hill-aspiration-powerlite-skort-ss09-p-156.html

I thought I might feel like a bit of an idiot running in a skirt but I didn't!

Hiya. Running's going well cheers. It's my first 10k on Sunday... eek image How are you doing?

That skort looks extremely comfortable. I'm not a fan of complicated waistbands because they're uncomfortable and can rub, but that looks really simple. I also like the fact that they're cycling shorts (which I think would be best to run in), but the skirt hides it a bit. The pocket is a bonus too. Don't think many of the baggy shorts come with those. Might order one and see how I go.  Cheers image

Oh Good luck for Sunday, which one you doing?   I did my first 10k on 10th May in Lymington and I did it in 1:11 - slow I know but hey I made it round which is the main thing.  What time are you hoping to get?

I have a few more races booked in now - the Windsor 8k in September (girls only!) and then the Great South Run in October (10 miles -gulp).  I am just toying with the idea of the Thames 10k in July but because it is the first one there are no previous results for me to make sure I won't be surrounded by professionals!

Definitely order the skirt, you can blame me if you don't like it.  I ordered a size 12.  Realistically I am more of a 10 these days (thanks running!) but I am 5'9" so often need a 12 due to length.  It is loose but still fits.  I prefer things to come up slightly bigger than too tight.

• Hey, I'm 5'9" too and really struggle with lengths. It's the reason I run in cropped leggings instead of full ones. I've given up trying to find them long enough! I've ordered a size 14. I'm a 12, but I much prefer things to be too loose than too tight. Comfort in paramount in this game!

Anyway, I'm hoping for sub-60 on Sunday (it's the Swithland 10k - local to me). I know I'm capable and have done it in training runs, I just need to be careful to pace myself from the start and not get carried away. I've joined the local running club and they're loaning me a team vest to run in, which is actually quite exciting!! After that I have my 10k Race for Life in July and then I've gone and entered the Leicester Half Marathon in October... ARGH!!! Need to get my ass in gear for that one.

I think a 10k in July would be perfect for you because it's a while until  your next one - go for it and don't worry about who else is racing. Just try to beat your own time image

• MACbMACb ✭✭✭
    good luck with Swithland, i'm doing that one also, feeling nervous due to extreme lethargy this week! have you done it before? I want to do the Leicester HM, but i'll wait and see how the Robin hood HM goes first. So who are you running for, Barrow, Shepshed, Birstall? I'm not a club runner at the moment but maybe one day i'll give it a go.
  • Hermitage Harriers (Whitwick) as they're my nearest and they also meet at my gym. I've not done Swithland before - this is my first 10k race, but some of the people from the club have and they have reassured me about the hills. I thought about the Notts HM, but plumped for Leics because it's more local.

Skort arrived today. Having a rest tonight, but I'll try it out tomorrow. Feels comfortable enough image

• MACbMACb ✭✭✭

I forgot to mention Hermitage! have you done the Hermitage 10K? I did it last year, it's brutal, I think the first 6k is all uphill. I feel that Swithland will be wet, the weather looks unsettled. Why not do Notts HM and Leics? use Notts as training!

Anyway, goodluck, what sort of time are you expecting?

• I've not done the Hermitage 10k as I only started running in March this year, but I've been thinking about it. I think I might just volunteer to marshall this year and see how it looks. I mapped out the route the other night and yes, 5km of uphill at the start. Looks like a killer. Might give it a go on my own once this 10k is out of the way. I'll be thrilled with anything less than 1hr. Whatever I get will be a PB though, so I'm happy to go with the flow. I'm #245. Give me a kick up the arse if you spot me flagging at the back image

Went out in my new skort this morning and although it feels pretty comfy, the cycling shorts kept riding up my thighs... which I could then hear slapping together as I ran.. nice!! image It wasn't such a problem (more annoying than anything) because it was cold this morning, but it's going to be awful in the heat and is exactly what I was trying to avoid. Think I should have gone for the 12 instead as they would have clung to my thighs tighter and ridden up less. Oh well. I'll just have to make sure I put vaseline on the inside of my thighs to stop them getting sore. 

• MACbMACb ✭✭✭
    My better half will be running around the hour mark I guess, I think she hopes to get just under. I will do Hermitage again this year, probably the hardest of my 4 10K races to date, that hill just goes on and on! still, what goes up must come down. Good luck.

Oops sorry you are not keen on them LK!  I don't find they ride up but then they're pretty short to start with aren't they.

Maybe you can flog them on the bay of e or on here if you aren't keen!

• Hi, I too have short issues, baggy ones ride up and rub but am not brave enough to wear lycra shorts so used to combine them, but now I have found these

http://www.fieldandtrek.com/Products/FT/PID-Salomon+XA+Series+III+Twinskin+Shorts-470037.aspx?ColCode=47003703

they combine the 2 principles and are fabulous (only afford one pair for now). Like the skorts though. have a good weekend

• MACbMACb ✭✭✭
    Lostkat, did you do the Swithland? I did, but nearly pulled out due to awful weather.
  • ph0enix I'm doing a bit of wearing two pairs of shorts at the moment too!  I'm getting over a groin injury (in fact am expecting all clear from physio tonight - at last) so have got a sexy pair of compression shorts to avoid re-injury.  Thing is they're even tighter than normal Lycra shorts so I've taken to putting on a pair of baggy shorts on top just for a bit of modesty.

I may give it another month or two just to be really sure I'm fixed then go back to my usual lycra shorts.  They probably won't fit though due to all the exercise I haven't been doing for three months due to my injury image

• Marty B wrote (see)
    Lostkat, did you do the Swithland? I did, but nearly pulled out due to awful weather.
    Yes I was out there in the pouring rain, thunder and lightning. Really enjoyed myself though (much rather torrential rain than blazing sunshine) and achieved an unofficial time of 53:26, which I am over the moon with (wanted to do it in <1hr). I think my official time was 54:09 because it took a minute or two to get across the start line because of that MASSIVE puddle, but I'm waiting on official results. Trainers are still drying out image