Blackpool People's Marathon

Hi All

Thought I would open a thread for this to raise a bit of awareness as I was under the impression that the 2009 was the last running of the Blackpool marathon. For those who are not subscribers it seems that the route is changing to take some of the repetition out of the lap format. The run down to the pleasure beach is going inland and they're changing the Bispham concrete path bit as well.

Not sure whether I'm going to enter this yet or not (but will opt for the half if not) but thought I'd throw this out, I got an e-mail about the event last night.

I thought the 2009 event was a real credit to running, well organised from start to finish. I noticed a time limit of 5h30 for this year which may imply more road running.

R

Comments

• Hi

Warrington Road Warrior

What date is the marathon

• Maybe we should all run in our "last ever blackpool marathon" t-shirts

R

• Hi warrington road warrior, i ran the 2009 half marathon and thought it was the last one. Then an e-mail to say its on next year.So i've entered for the full marathon my first one too. I hope they do change the route a bit as it did seem a bit dull to do it twice for the marathon runners. It was my first half marathon and clocked 1hr 31mins i was very happy with that as i thought i was going to get 1hr 40min. Any way i'm on with my training and will just give it my best shot. Have a good one if your in it image

Darren from Rossendale, Lancs

• Darren Wilkinson 2

Yes I have the same email about next year Event.This year I did 4H.45 inwhich its challenging in 2010 hopefully 4.15 to 4.30.See You soon

Stephen Brear from Sleaford,Lincsimage

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

the route I did in the mararthon 2004/5 was better then the 2 lapper    went to st annes and back then that hard lower walk to Bispham and back

I am doing Angsley mararthon this time after 3 years from last full mararthon

what changed their minds   again

last time it was runners wanting to do it  thats what I heard

• Micheal

Its all Change and the Money is the Biggest Newsimage

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

speedy   

do you know what the route is 

just ran 20 miles today in 2h43   so If I can keep my pace right as I did today for another 6.2 miles I might make it non stop at Anglsey

you are right about money    thats why I changed my races and do a lot of local ones

• Micheal

Good Morning.The route start narrow roads from the showground pas therundbout about 5miles turn left to the next villange a your legs100% sore like Hell up the steep 2 hills.But plenty of waterstopsthrough.Go to the Angelsey Marthon website for more details.My next local one Stretham 10 near Belvoir and Heckington not sure yet because I will go om my bikeand ride for a change and my big Marathon will be in September at Cornwal the Eden?

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    after running 20 miles yestaday   and not aching today   I am really looking forward to it    I swim 3 times a week aswell
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

may enter Blackpool mararthon

only time I will do blackpool as I do a lot of new to me races   which makes it more instrecting

• From the route description on this site, looks like the Blackpool Marathon is going to head north towards Fleetwood then cut inland. There are loads of quieter roads up in that area.

I'll wait for Jenni to contact me about measuring it.

Sensible move about the cut off time too

• Hi i have done the Blackpool Marathon a few times and enjoyed it, this year I am doing the Fleetwood Marathon which is in September looking forward to it. 
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

Brain

has Ron retired from the events now   I have nocited his wife is the events manger

• amster

Good Luck for Fleetwood in September?

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    going to enter  as limit is 1000 runners
  • Gosh it gets earlier every year
  • Plodding Hippo

How are you.Yes I think Blackpool on the 11th I think.Thats why Blackpool announced the last this year because differnt dates(I think)?

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

just entered the full one   if anyone wants   to do it   the limit is 1000    and the course sounds better then ever   

the limit is for both races I think

• Will marshalls stay out on the course for the full duration of the race or will they be withdrawn for some slower runners, as seems to be the case from reading the thread for the 2009 race?
  • BR, There were a few marshalls left, & people to take a finish time. But it only takes 1 marshall to have been withdrawn for someone to get lost, & I reckon at least 3 marshall posts ended up unmanned at the end, at the April Blackpool marathon.
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

I hope they do not do this at the 2010 event   or it will be my last one there

I am doing Anglsey in september

Ria

you should try this one   it has had good reports and Colin Jackson is there

• Micheal

GOOD EVENING

Its nice Weather in Lincolnshire today except yesterday washed out.Another Stupid storie I saw a Runner where I live about to go running through the thunderstorm and lightening.WHY.......?

Colin Jackson is down to earth and very plesant t meet.I saw him 2nd time and hopefully again this year?

P.S in this forum why People open 2 Blackpool Topic and Friends.Its confused or what?

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

speedy 37

it is for anyone who wants to post on it     weather doing the race or not     must be daft running it that weather

Ria told the truth on blackpool mararthon 2009 as she was in the race and knew what was happing with the marshalls etc

Barnsley runner knows what he is talking about as he use to help put the Barnsley 10k on

got my speed up again

did the same route as yestaday knocking  1 and half mins of   so pleased with that

I am staying at Bangor travelodge  for the race

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

Barnsley runner

do you run for Holmfirth harriers  as from your photo  you seem to have their t-shirt colour on

• Micheal Tinker

It warm the Weather by Thursday and the Weekend not bad better then sitting ducks last Sunday in Lincolnshire and if the runners want to die early during Thnderstorm.ts upto them.

YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE

• MT - yes I do.  They do a good mix of competitions - road, track, xc and fell.  Also triathlons for those with the money to indulge that hobby.
  • I think they've put the race time limit on this year to prevent the problems with the marshalling and also to have a more defined time when roads can be re-opened. I should say that I was a slower runner (5h11m) and marshalls were still on the course being pleasant and supportive.

I am oddly surprised that there isn't a sweep of the course though

I'll probably sign up for the half at the very least, maybe the full. Will see what I think after doing Disney - I've vowed never again after both marathons, I guess I am a stickler for punishment

R

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

BR

Holmfirth harriers put on some great races   where does that fell race go to  they hold in july

• MT - do you mean the Holme Moss one?  It's about 16 miles but people run slower on it than they do on a marathon.