FRA forum emergency thread

Comments

• The (Original) Boy Wonder wrote (see)
    Brett seems to be 'testing functionality'..... whatever that means!

It's been out a while, but I couldn't use it earlier, a it's been a club (promoted) race this evening

http://www.ackworthroadrunnersandac.co.uk/#/priory-5-2011/4551487986

A damned slog for most of the way, on grassland

• And still not working.... what can I do?  

C'mon Brett, put some more money in the meter!

• DazTheSlugDazTheSlug ✭✭✭

still down image

I was actually joking about Snowdon shoe discussion - I've done the race before and I know what shoes I'm going to wear image

BW - you recce-ing for an attempt on Kilian's record? image

• Huhh... I wish... just weighed pack at 15kg which will slow me a little
  • ia thew whole fra site down? i cant get on any of it.......(shortness of breath and mild panic)image

• Oh no! After receiving news from my good lady wife that the Forum was up and running (pun intended) again this morning, it seems to have vanished again. Cue increased shortness of breath and not so mild panic. Is this what forum withdrawal feels like?

• DazTheSlugDazTheSlug ✭✭✭
    I've had no prob with the FRA site for the last couple of days now
  • Lucky you Daz - I 've been getting an error screen that tells me the www. address can't be found. It's come up now so I'll get a quick forum fix in.
  • I can't get any of it either
  • It seems to be alive and well again for the moment image
  • BritNickBritNick ✭✭✭

Why has K&CAC stolen our beloved forum?

• BritNickBritNick ✭✭✭

Seems it's back - erroneous link repaired. We can get our fix again.

• been down all morning...
    starting to get twitchy... image

BritNick - Congratulations on your UTMB finish btw! image

• whole fellrunner site has been hacked/down for several days now image

anybody else suffering withdrawal...? image

• Fancy a trip to Isle of Man weekend after next? Isle of Man Mountain Ultra is on with a half version too. Check out Manx Fell Runners website.

Just saying! Hope your other site gets sorted soon image
  • I checked last night and it was up apart from the forum. Now the whole thing's down again. It must be serious. Best wishes to whoever is recovering and securing it.

Thanks Daz. I never imagined I could crawl so slowly yet remain in an event and finish it. A 4-hour cushion at the end is nothing when it was taking me that long to cover 6 miles at times. Even so I still finished in the top 40% of starters. That says how tough it is.

• There was a homepage hack at the weekend. I started a thread about it, then reported it. Not long after that it went down.google suggested it was a pointless attack demonstrating a known weakness in vBulletin v4

The perpetrators seemed to be just showing off, one of the more pointless hacks. I'm no expert, just what a quick google threw up at the weekend
  • Shazmo - Thankyou for your thoughtful suggestion image
    IOM is on my "To Visit" list - maybe next year image

DM27 - according to vBulletin's website, V4.2 "provides unsurpassed forum security and protection from hacking" - yeah right! image

• Some more details about the sort of hack are here on this PlayStation 3 forum:

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/general-off-topic/210061-apparently-forum-sites-getting-hacked.html

Sounds like a particularly childish and pointless hack, although I'm no expert. I watched Hackers for the young Angelina Jolie...

• the front pages of the fellrunner website are back up, but the links to the forums are dummied out
    I've emailed the site administrator but had no reply - guess he might be a bit busy! image

meanwhile...
    BritNick - have you decided which race you're doing on Saturday? image

• It must be serious being down this long. Even RW went down last night. I was beginning to think some entity had something against runners.

Daz, ask no questions and ye shall hear no lies. image

• Hello, 

I wanted to get onto the FRA forums to talk about Hope Moors and Tors being postponed. I don't understand why another event can just turn up and force the postponement, especially the sort of event where you get a medal and a hoodie image

• I'd have thought that the FRA could put a message on the main home page to let us know what's occurrin'.

That part of the site is functioning again, with news updates appearing.

Meanwhile, it feels a bit odd meeting up with old forum friends in a different part of cyberspace!

• Clever hackers do the hack long before it is used, and also leave wormholes into the server, so loading from backup is innefective - the backups are infected too. Had that problem with a fell race website I run, that was taken down the day of the race (waltz) - ended up rebuilding on new hosting.

It is probably time to bite the bullet and reload a virgin forum. The database must be unwieldy and huge.

For any regular readers of the FRA BG threads, I can confirm that whatever the tracker seemed to imply otherwise stolly got round. Leg 3 done as night time was horrendous (not my idea!) - it was thick clag from a couple of hundred feet up over dunmail and raining continuously till martcrag more - and whilst we never were far off the proper route, it is the terrain that is a nightmare and slows you down,All of us fell many times,  losing 50 mins to rosset.  Once dawn broke, we got back up to speed. Arkel and I were  knackered by scafell, and he came down slowly forgetting he had the tracker, which is why it appears stolly aborted at Wasdale. Whilst 50 down on 23 schedule, he still had 10 mins slack on a 24 and basically made it with 5 mins to spare.

The FRA forum will be a duller place without the next stolly round on the way...he promised us stunning weather, and whilst the golf ball sized hailstones did not make an appearance, it was not much better!  the lakes weather forecasts can now return to normal, now stolly is done..

• Relieved to hear that Stolly finally completed BG image there's a write-up on his blog now

still no news from Brett re the forums... I suspect he's keeping quiet what he's going to do so that the hacker(s) don't get wind...

my guess is that vBulletin V5 doesn't solve the problem (otherwise it'd be back up by now),
    and that "bolt on" security would be too messy,
    so we're probably looking at totally new message board software
    - the only question being whether the old database of posts can be converted/imported...

• Daz - any idea who "dave spencer" is who went last friday on tracker 23? Seemed to abort at wasdale, but as Stolly experience showed, that can just be a pacer keeping hold of the tracker!

Having forum withdrawal symptoms! 

Whats your next challenge? Having a go at the four passes on sat?

• Daz -

if you speak to Brett, you can tell him I have had good experiences with a company called Gconverter : I am an internet marketer and forever shifting databases between platforms and versions  after buying websites.  Database conversion is their business - also extracting parts of databases and shifting them. The problem with forum databases is they can be **huge** which can need root access. 

I wonder whehter they would do better simply to kick off the forum from cold. They did it in 2007 after a problem. It loses a lot of useless old backage.

• Hi Guys.... lucky I remembered there was a fallback option!

"I wonder whehter they would do better simply to kick off the forum from cold. They did it in 2007 after a problem. It loses a lot of useless old backage"

And also six years of history!!!  Brett, bring it all back please!!

• It would be a shame to lose nearly seven years of posts; there's a lot of information and some very thoughtful pieces, not to mention links and other resources, amongst the inevitable dross like "Tonight's Pie" and "Bob Graham's Sock Drawer".

But then, I tend to be the kind of person who never throws anything away, in the usually mistaken belief that one day it might come in useful.

• finally a message on the homepage saying the forums should be back up soon image

Sandstone Trail for me this weekend - one of my Top 20 Fave Races and it's even in the FRA calendar, so I can claim it for Forum Champs points image