Burnham Beeches Half-Marathon

m.ittenm.itten ✭✭✭

Can anyone give me any info on the course etc.

Thanks, Mitts image

Comments

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

This is a fine event, Mitts, one of the best around. Start and finish venue is some kind of posh school in large grounds, and you can go for a swim in the pool afterwards if past years are anything to go by.

The course is a two-lapper, with ups and downs that towards the end do sap the legs but no real killer hills. Mid-august so it can be warm but there's a fair amount of shade on the course. Always well organized and with excellent baggage stowage. I cycle from the station so can't comment on the parking but I have heard people grumbling about the car park being a bit of a jog from the start line.

I've done this one for several years and will be there again this year.

• I'm doing this for the second time, so it must be OK! There are some undulations which feel fine on the first lap, but you really feel them on the second lap. There's also a steep slope to scramble up at the start. But it's a lovely course, there's plenty of parking and the walk from the main car park to the start is very sociable.
  • Sounds lovely. Posted off entry a couple of weeks ago. Cheque not cashed so far and "entries" at web site not returning any data yet. Trust all OK, need this one as 2 weeks before Kent Coastal FM, and 2 weeks after summer hols in Greece so don't plan on running too much there after sun up in Jul/Aug - hard enough walking around!!! 

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    I've entered online too and haven't yet had the email confirmation. It usually arrives instantaneously. Will keep an eye out and chivvy RW if nothing in a couple of days.
  • m.ittenm.itten ✭✭✭

Will probably enter then.

Holding off as I've gone a bit mad on race entries this year!

• Go for it mitten. It's my local and so I feel I have a moral obligation to do it as often as poss (plus I love the feeling of being able to saunter round the corner 10 mins before the gun, and conversely am home in that cold bath chomping bagels 10 mins after I finish!). Despite the fact I'm biased I still think it's a fab race by anyone's standards - great facilities at the school, nice 2 lap course (which means you know when the hills are coming up) and it's through Burnham Beeches and area which is v pretty and shady if it's a hot day. Like Muttley I can't comment on the parking arrangements (see above re sauntering) but the rest of the organisation is v good.

Gets my vote every time!

• Muttley, I had the usual RW confirmation for this one, although another race entry I did a few weeks before seems to have gone awol...

RHR, I'm jealous as I have quite a drive to get to the race. I think it's worth it, though! image
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Ta MT. I'll wait till it shows up on the credit card bill and then if still nothing I'll email the organizers.
  • mee meepmee meep ✭✭✭

Totally agree, this is a cracking run through the beeches. No really taxing hills though as said the one about 12 miles feels a lot worse than what it is!

Their official car park is about a 5 / 10 min walk away at most. Everyting else is very smooth and well organised.

• raced this about 15 years ago,so it will be fun to do again,really looking forward :-]
  • As Club Chirman I became aware that some people were not getting confirmation from Runners World. I took this up with them and apparently they had a problem with their automated system around the beginning of May although no one apparently was alerted to this. I suggested that entrants around this time should be officially notified but apparently the £2 processing fee charged by them does not seem sufficient for this to be done. If the entry fee is deducted from your credit card it means you are entered.  Otherwise please contact me at kasmyc@aol.com.

Hopefully the race organisation will be up to its usual high standard.

• m.ittenm.itten ✭✭✭

I've entered too image

Not sure if I've had the email........ I'll check.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Following on from what I said above about not getting an email from RW ... quickly sorted by Keith S, which is much appreciated and the sign of a well-organized race and club. I reiterate what I said earlier in the thread about this being a fine event.
  • I had a ref number when i entered so hope thats enough

• Still not getting the confirmation email.
  • Would love to do this race, but transport looks a bit challenging, sunday morning trains from London look a bit bonkers, I'd have to leave at 5.40am as for some reason this train takes two and half hours and the next one would get me in too late. Does anyone happen to be doing a lift share from London?
    Thanks!
  • oops, was looking at the wrong Farnham, but would be good to know if anyone is driving still...
  • I like the sound of this one. Undulating doesn't sound as bad as steep. I live out in Spain, and try to fit in a half marathon while visiting family in Milton Keynes every summer. I did the MK half 2 years back , and the Newark on Trent half last summer. That did have a couple of killer hills - hence my interest in getting a clarification that this is just a bit "hilly" rather than "mountainous".
  • It's just 'a bit hilly', don't worry, and as it's a 2 lap course you'll know where they are the 2nd time around. Enough downhill bits too to let you stretch out a bit. Go for it, you're supposed to be mad bad and dangerous! Burnham Beeches won't know what's hit it.image
  • Mr KMr K ✭✭✭
    Opps - I`ve seemed to have entered this one image
  • Good for you Mr K. I would be too, only I have to consider my knee (see DTUF forum image). Maybe nearer the time (and then I'll be strolling it) But it is a fab race, so enjoy!image
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Shall see you there, Mr K ... and RHR, what have you done to your knee? Sounds a bit long-term ...
  • Muttley - I think it's something relatively simple like grumbly tendon and/or bursas, which having grumbled badly once, are now more prone to do it again on less provocation. I'm taking it to see my physio next week ,and otherwise bashing on with stability exercises, standing on one leg exercises, quads, glutes etc etc etc And cycling to work as usual. 12 miles a day cycling probably doesn't help on top of a marathon training prog. Maybe half marathon's my physiological distance ...
  • I imagesuppose I ought to bestir myself and give a progress report on the race. We are nearly up to 800 already and our new entry secretaries Claire and Rob are still remaining saneimage. As usual, we are held up by the race progamme, that tatty folder of race info, but it will be with us shortly and then chips etc will be going out.image.

Sorry about the automated race acknowledgements from May which RW cannot seem to put right. imageIf you still have concerns about receipt of your entry please contact chairman @burnhamjoggers.org.uk.

• Redheadedraver - Hi there ! Sorry to hear that you are injured.  Did you miss Down Tow Up Flow yesterday? (Mr K was there).  That was where I met you last year wasn't it? 

I have been considering this one. Not done it before.  Need something to keep me going til Great North Run (only 8 weeks away now). 

Must check to see about driving distance etc.

• Hi Everyone. Well I shall be leaving sunny Valencia and heading down to run the Burnham Beeches half after all. I've also invited a friend over from my Spanish running club, so that'll make two representatives of La Eliana Running Club participating. Looking forward to some cooler running conditions than we've had here of late. It was up to 45 degrees last week!
  • Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Lord Byron, I'll look out for you two from Valencia. What do the La Eliana running vests look like?

SD

P.S. I'm a regular at the Valencia marathon - one of my favourite marathons...
  • Well, I've entered and am now quite looking forward to it image.
  • hi all,  i have taking the easy step by entering this race, now i would like know how hard the next steps be,,,,,,,,,, looking forward this i think,   what is the route like,,is  it hilly.

cheers