Burnham Beeches Half-Marathon

Comments

• Hi Everyone,

Just popped over from the Loch Ness thread to say what a great event this was. Very hot and very hard last 3 miles but everything about the location and organisation was first class.

Definitely one to put in the diary for 2010.
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Slightly uneven pacing there, Mr K ... but it was a warm day. And that last upwards bit does sap the legs. Entirely creditable time.

http://www.thespoof.com/sitepics/avatars/tsr80_kermit_avatar.jpg

• Ouch.. first time at this one, done wycombe a couple of weeks ago and for me this one is harder...those undulations just keep on coming..and yes they are harder second time around...surely we can't complain about the weather???
  • Was here  as spectator  as OH was doing this - bloody glad it wasn't me - tried to do my best to support folk in general out of sheer gratitude ...
    Why people just stand there like muppets (arms folded, mouths open) waiting for their one runner when it's not hard to do a bit of cheering.... wish I'd thought to bring ghettoblaster now!

Recognized a few forumites & in hindsight more. You all did bloody well to finish today!
  • Very hot but, in fairness, most of it was through shady lanes of tall trees so didn't even get to putting on my cap image.  First time round wasn't too bad.  Some challenging hills but also some nice downy bits where I could lengthen my stride and let the momentum carry me along for a while.  Strange on the first lap when you see the mile markers for like 8 miles, 9 miles etc - just looking at them longingly image.  As predicted, some of the winning group lapped me just before I started the second time around.  Suitable encouragement from the marshalls who clearly realised how tough that is when you see others heading to the finish image.  On we went, and I seemed set to scrape a pb for a while.  In fact, even right up til the last mile I kept thinking, now come on, if you get your back-side into gear you could do this.  But then that last mile up hill.  My little legs just could not keep running up that last oneimage.  Had to walk quite a bit of it but managed to run round the grassy finish

Anyhow, finished in 2:31:50 which is about a minute over my pb so all in all, considering the heat and undulations, not a bad time image.

Great to have a nice swim afterwards too.

• Why people just stand there like muppets (arms folded, mouths open) waiting for their one runner when it's not hard to do a bit of cheering.... wish I'd thought to bring ghettoblaster now!

Fido... couldn't agree more. I thought it was what happend in the neck of the woods. I know they were asked to keep the PA and music down for the local residentrs that surround the field but that was just so sad when it was such a nice day and it could have been party time...

Well done those that ran you are all stars...

• Hi Muttley, sorry to see you're on the bench, hope you're back off it very soon. Glad you like the site, it's basically the old one tarted up with a new url www theracephotographer dot com which astonishingly was still on the shelf after all this time image

Photos are now up to look at . .

It was boiling hot when I ran the race 20 years ago, it must be in the local bye laws that race is day is a scorcher image

Sorry I didn't see you Fido . . it would've been quiet where I was too, if I hadn't been there!! image

• Well done everyone....god it was a toughy!!! Felt the heat sapping the energy from me all the way round, had to walk up some of the hills 2nd lap too. Very dissappointed, got round in around 2 hours 13. I'll have to come back next year to improve on that!!! All in all, a brilliant race, well organised and really enjoyed it.
  • Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

Thanks RichK - Cracking photos as usual image 

(Like the site as well)

• hi richK,   i only see 3 photos on the the above ling,  how do we view the photos for the runners, if you took some of the runners.  cheers
  • Did this...dipping my toe back in a half marathon for the first time in 6 years!! Well organised and a great day out. Good bits of shade and the hills not too bad, probably the rise up to the pub near the finish being the main offender!!

Born loser here managed to get stuck behind a horse box for about a mile...good to get those carbon monoxide levels up image

Expensive these days aren't they? £18 for a medal. Never been bothered abour goodie bags, I would prefer it to be cheaper with just a cup of water at the finish!!

• you got a goodie bag simon,   well i most have passed  mine by then lol.    the hills was tough for me,  most being getting old then .

their is good photos on the race photographer website .com

• RichK - I was at mile 1-stroke-7. But you did see my OH I note - he will be pleased to see he's not on the very LAST page of the photos! Poor soul....image
  • I can always move him to the back page if you prefer Fido image I turned left and walked towards the runners, that's why I missed you . . . I'd already seen the 7mile marker on my long walk from the car park to the school (didn't see the signs!) and it didn't look especially photogenic, so I wandered off in hope and found that spot opposite the Stag, which was nice image

glad you like the photos, everyone image

I've got them all online now, so see if you can find yourself in the Surge up the Slope at the Start . .  and there's a few aeroplanes . . I'm sorry, I can't help myself . . they're sooo beautifuuuuuuuuuul!!!

• Sorry Guiness I mean't there wasn't a goody bag...doesn't bother me though as above!

Good piccies Rich. I'm glad the close up was at half way rather than the end....

• Rich.. great photos... well done... next time you are at an event come and speak to the  PA announcer and they will give you some extra publicity for your hard work
  • thanks again, guys image

Gatton . . hmm . . you're right, I missed a trick there didn't I!! image

initially I was only coming along to the event to support some friends and take the odd photo, but when I arrived the first person I saw was Alan W, the race director, and I asked him if there was anybody taking photos of the race (because I was sure there would be, and I didn't want to upset anyone) . .

Alan said there wasn't, and that I was welcome to . . I left some cards on the enter on the day tables, but I know that only about 20 of them were picked up because I went back to tidy up afterwards image

I have asked Burnham Joggers if they would link to my site but had no response. I'm not complaining, I recognise that such things are managed by volunteers in their free time and so you can't expect a quick response image

nevertheless there's been plenty of people viewing the photos, which shows the value of this Forum, and  Fetch, and my 20 cards image

from my own point of view, I'm new to selling photos and trying to get as many photos as possible on line as quickly as possible after the event, and this was the largest event I've covered with everyone passing by me twice, and it was a useful exercise. I was disappointed at how long it all took me, frankly, and it can be done more quickly, and having tried it on Sunday I now have a better idea how to achieve that!

so always onwards and upwards . . and next time I turn up at the last minute, remember to talk to the guy on the p.a. image

• Rich - I'll run it by next time I'm up at club. (possibly thursday).

• that would be kind of you, Joe, if you don't mind . .  as I say, I'm not complaining, when things are managed by volunteers you just have to go with the flow and things happen when they happen image

and it could be argued that I should have been better prepared and contacted the club beforehand image

although I was extremely surprised to learn that there wasn't already a desginated photographer, which goes to show yet again that you shouldn't make assumptions! 

when all's said and done, I had a great day out in the sun, learnt a few more things about my photography, met some friends, and I've sold a few photos, so I'm really not complaining imageimage

that having been said, I wouldn't say *no* to a link image

• Richk i think you done a great job,and your web page is easy to use,a big pat on the back for yourself.Also i think burnham beeches half needs to move into the times.NO photographer,no t-shirt,or bag after the race,but that is still just a little grumble,as its such a good race.
  • ..Must be some expense somewhere then..would have thought it would be cheaper as there was no goody bag. Be interesting to see where all the expenses are. Cheaper with no goody bag is better I reckon..credit crunch and all that image
  • Maybe they had to contribute a chunk to the school for use of their facilities.
  • Don't forget they had no sponsors for anything. Caldicote school did allow them the use of thier property but closing roads etc and chip timing,numbers all cost money and the event is run by a club not a company. Very well it was done too.
  • Hi Everyone. Just a few comments to make.

Enjoyable course. Really beautiful location. Hillier than I expected. My GPS reckoned there was 700 metres of accumulated elevation. That must be a malfunction due to all those trees.

Drinking water from a plastic cup while running is an impossible feat. Little bottles are much easier.

I would have preferred a T-shirt to a medal and Isotonic rather than water at the end.

We were well chuffed to get a shout out on the P.A. as we were running to the start line : " We even have two runners over from Valencia !"

All said, I would love to give it another go if I'm back in the UK at the same time next year. Cheers all.

Lord Byron

• Lord Byron..... at least someone was listening to the PA..  Glad you had a good trip to the UK.
  • I've just received an email from runnersworld saying that my payment for this race hasn't gone through. This seems very strange a whole month after I paid , and also after the race has been run.

Has anyone else had a similar mail?

I don't want to pay twice and find out it was a scam.

If Keith Scudamore is still reading this forum could you confirm this is legitimate ?

Cheers.

• Lord Byron - Yes, I've had 3 similar emails. This race and also 2 others that I have yet to run.  I checked my visa statement and nothing has gone through on it even though one of them was registered some while ago.  I think someone posted on the web bugs site too and RW said they had a temporary blip with the system.  So yes, as far as I'm aware it is legit.
  • I've had a similar email and have replied asking for clarification of situation. Although having checked bank statement it may be legitimate as I can't see payment has gone out.