Goals?

Comments

• Perhaps we should find a half in spring next year where we can have a UFRC sub 1:45 pace group! as I'm also trying for that. What about Reading? although I guess a quieter flatter course would be best.

Goals:
    1. sub 1:45 at New Forest 1/2 (PB 1:50)
    2. to carry on running regularly afterwards, rather than have my usual 3 months off
    3. Not sure there's enough local 10ks to have a goal, but it would be to do better than before (52mins)

I guess joining a club might be the best way to achieve 2.
  • I was thinking of joining a club to keep my interest up after the marathon, seems a pity to do all that training and then lose interest after the event which I have read happens sometimes.
    Are the running clubs just a social thing or do you spend a couple of nights running round a track?
  • Hmm.... I still have many goals

1. To get back to full fitness by January.
    2. Get back into routine of morning running before work, as well as lunchtime or evening. Can't seem too at the moment.
    3. Lose the extra weight gained while injured...
    4. Eat better and drink less (alcohol that is)

Specific Time Goals

4. 10k - sub 30
    5. 1/2m 66mins
    6. marathon - short term 3:15 to qualify for London, then longer term, sub 2:30 at London.
    7. Mile sub 4mins ( maight be out of reach now)

Other running goals

8. To run the Coast to Coast
    9. To run from John O Groats to Lands End
    10. Compete in a 24 hour race - to see how far I can cover.
    11. this could go on for ever....
  • 1. keep off the weight I've lost (20lbs)
    2. enjoy the running without antagonising kids & hubby through absence and obsession
    3. manage to keep going through my first winter as a runner
    4. 10k in under 60mins on Sept 29 - a bit unrealistic I think, but worth a go.
    5. complete a marathon either next 2003 or 2004. Have applied for FLM and don't know how I will feel if I actually get a place.
  • 10k in uder 60 minutes(Each year i do a pb by 10 seconds or so)
    Do the marathon with planning-under 5 hours would be great
    To learn to say no
  • Benz - I like it. If you learn to say NO you will have more time for running!
  • Yeah, and get to leave work on time too
  • I've been lucky in that the past few years I've improved each year.I suppose the year will come when I don't run a pb at a given distance. But for what its worth :

Run a 5k race (never done one before)
    10k in sub 40 (pb 42.03)
    10m achieved sub 70 at GSR (69.04) so I guess I'd like to go towards 65.00
    HalfM in 1.30 (pb 1.36.03)
    Marathon sub 3.30 and hopefully 3.15 (pb 3.31)

However the wider issue is to run an ultra race (Trans 333/Marathon de sables) and complete a novice duathlon.

And obviously I'd like world peace and to help unwed mothers and so on....
  • 1. Get round the weston cracker 10k on 1st Dec in under 60 min
    2. Complete the bath 1/2 next March in under 2 hours
    3. Carry on training 4 nights a week as the nights get dark and the safe running venues get more restricted
    4. To never, ever, get the running bug so badly that I start to contemplate a full marathon...
  • Imbeginning to think ive done this the wrong way round, only started training outside to do a marathon. Previous 10k and 5 k were prepared for on a treadmill
    Next race is my first half marathon
    Would like to do 2hrs 30
  • Hey Oldbones, I see you're doing the Lake Vyrnwy half this weekend - I'll look out for you. You shouldn't be difficult to spot but I'd like to know how you keep your shorts up - do you tie them to your ribs? Anyway, I'm now 36 and ran my best time since I was 19 at Liverpool 2 weeks ago (1:28) I feel great and am hoping for a PB (1:25) at Vyrnwy as I've heard it's fast. I'm also going for a PB at the Manchester marathon (under 3:12 but under 3 hours would be sooooo special). Does anyone have any advice on Manchester - is it a PB course?
  • Sarcy1 - Dublin's great, I did it last year and nearly half the field are Americans including a lot of "power walkers" (what is that all about?) so you won't be last. The support from the yanks is superb ("go team") there were thousands of them. I recommend Irish Stew, soda bread and Guiness as the required post-race nourishment. It's also an Irish bank holiday so there are lots of visitors in town. I found the organisation a bit laid back so get to the start early.

• Benz, sounds odd but try and train outside - its easier!! I used to run on the treadmill and it took me 40 very bored minutes to do 5K, outside it took me 30mins with lots of fresh air and nice scenery.

My goal is to keep running after the Nike 10K.
  • Thanks gemini
    Been outside regularly pre marathon, but now its dark early am
    Too fat to cope with the abuse, so prefer to run early in the morning
    Dont actually find the treadmill boring(too busy trying to breathe but I agree its faster outdoors
  • I would be so happy just to run injury free for 12 months so I can get fit enough to run ...

10k 37.00 now 39
    1/2 1.24 now 1.28
    26.2 sub 3 now 3.12

Long term I'd like to do an ultra, such as the Spartathalon.

• I would be so happy just to run injury free for 12 months so I can get fit enough to run ...

10k 37.00 now 39
    1/2 1.24 now 1.28
    26.2 sub 3 now 3.12

Long term I'd like to do an ultra, such as the Spartathlon.

• My goals:
    10k - to finally get under 40 (PB 40.00)

1/2 in 1.25 (PB 1.28), although I'd be happy with 1.30 at Vyrnwy on Sunday.

marathon in 3.15 (PB 3.24)

To have the nerve to run a 5K with all the whippets.

• My turn!
    1. Keep running 4 times a week over the dreary winter months
    2. 5km in under 30mins (never raced before)
    2. 10km in 65mins
    4. Windsor half next year - just to finish it would be great at this stage!
  • My goals are:
    to run the bristol half next week in 1.45
    previous pb at shakespeare half 1.49.This is looking unlikely though because i have a cold.
    To run a 10k in under 45mins previous 45.41 at torquay.
    To run the london without having to walk.
    To stay injury free(touch wood)
    Finally to continue to enjoy running as much as i do now.
  • Thanks Penfold,
    stew probably, soda bread maybe Guiness definately, just what you need after 26.2 miles - 2 pints then fall over, a very cheap night out. Due to dehydration of course and not having drunk for a few weeks beforehand.
    by the way, how is Dangermouse doing?
  • When I decided to lose weight I wrote my goal down on a piece of paper.I put down the weight I wanted to acheive and a date.I then signed it and gave it to a friend at work.
    This helped to keep me focused as I knew that this person(being a g*t)would relish the prospect of ripping me to shreads in front of everybody when the date came around.
    I just about made it but it spurred me on.This could work for your next race in say 3 months time.
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    2002 goals:

10k: sub 37 min (36:47 achieved)
    1/2m: sub 1:20 (1:21:22 achieved, with a lot of pressure to perform at Windsor!)
    Mar: sub 3 hr (2:57 achieved)

2003 goals:

10k: sub 36 min
    1/2m: sub 1:16
    Mar: sub 2:45

Long term goals, by 2005, when I'm 45!

10k: sub 32 min
    1/2m: sub 1:10
    mar: sub 2:35 + top 3 placing in V45 category at FLM.
  • my goals:

Bristol half: under 2 hours
    ideal 1/2 mara time: 1.45 mins
    London Marathon: under 4 hours
    next marathon: faster than London
    10km: under 50mins? maybe even 45 mins

Ultimate aim - enjoy running and to keep improving

Will have to dig this thread up in a few months to see how we're all going.....
  • Well here are mine

1. Run a sub 4hr marathon (hopefully this spring)
    2. Get 10k below 45mins next season (PB 48mins)
    3. To complete a ½ Ironman distance race by the end 2003
    4. To complete an official Ironman race by the time I’m 40 (currently 36)

Will
  • Funny this but when I turned up at local club in may I was asked this and had never really though about it.

In january my goals were : lose some weight and regain control of health. Be able to run regularly without calf injury.

by May I guess it was
    complete a 10k
    complete a 1/2M
    evaluate if I could do a Marathon

Now:
    find a nice flat/downhill 10k on which I could do sub 42mins (3mins to take off)
    complete a 1/2M in 1:40 (not done one yet)
    think about FLM2004
    don't let it slip!
  • Tim,

I've made a note in my diary for December 18! Hopefully everyone who has posted will give us an update on how they've done.

Neil
  • Tricky as my 2002 goal was:

1. To start running again; but
    2. Not be tooooo competetive.

Have achieved 1. but found 2. to be impossible.

Remaining goals for 2002

1. Finish first marathon.
    2. Finish first marathon in under 3:30 (under 3:20 would be nice).
    3. Break 40:00 for 10k.

I did consider setting myself a half marathon sub 1:30 for 2002 but a) I can't find one suitable and b) I want to give myself a bit of a break after the marathon and a chance to recover from some still lingering injuries.

Short term goals (2003)

1. Sub 38 for 10k
    2. Sub 1:25 for half marathon

Medium term goals (Late 2003 / 2004)

Re-establish PB's set 7/8 years ago, being:

1. 10k 36:40
    2. Half 1:22:20
    3. If I can get close to the above then I reserve the right to include a sub 3:00 marathon. However I also reserve the right to never run a marathon again!

Long term / Dream goals (Late 2004)

What I think I am capable of given a long period of uniterrupted training, good conditions, flat course etc. etc.

1. 10k - 34:00
    2. Half marathon - Sub 1:20
  • My goals for this year:
    10k under 42.30 pb 44.10,
    half 1.30 pb 1.33.30 this year at Liverpool.
    Marathon under 3.30 pb 3.37 in Sheffield last year,but most of all just to enjoy racing.