Options

IMNZ 2010

Comments

• Options

SP - the P3 tri bike configuration took me a bit to get used to the TT bars, but after having it fitted properly the bike became almost comfortable to ride. 

it is much faster on the flat ride, but seems much much slower on the hills than my road bike, but then again I am an absolute nobody when it comes to cycling so I cant really give any input.

i am hammering away at my diet trying to get as thin as possible before dec 5th so i dont do much liquid carb loading anymore.

my training is going well, but a couple of weeks ago I had an old man, easily in his 70s go flying past me (like i was standing still) on my run at 6am.  He didnt even say "bonjour" ....

• Options

Thanks SP - have a good day out on Sunday, let us know how you get on.

Ironically, I live in Edinburgh and keep getting sent to London, so I have the opposite pain to what you had! You're right about the swimming, of the three its my strength and I could probably grind out an IM swim tomorrow if I had to. I've been off work this week and I've been taking the opportunity to cram in as much late-season OW swimming as I can - it's getting awfully chilly in there already!

I am impressed by the dedication to the diet egoman, liquid carbs are one of my major food groups. I'm trying to get to see a nutrionist at the moment (she is elusive) and I know she's going to tell me to stop drinking image I need to get about a stone off before IM, there's too much dead flubbery weight slowing me down on the bike. 

Have a good week's training everyone

• Options

PUP what makes it even harder is I live in france ... and to cut out wine as much as possible is often a challenge.

but its worth it because I dont feel my gut bouncing up and down as i run anymore

• Options

Morning fellas! I had a good ride on Sunday, 56 miles over quite a toturous course from a hilly and windy point of view. I managed 3hrs 16mins, which was in the thick of the action and thankfully faster than some fo my club mates doing the full race! Unfortunately I lost about 4 mins when a cattle grid caused my spare tub, gas canister and food I had strapped below my saddle to fly off in all directions. I wasn't the only rider to fall to this mis-hap - the three riders in front of me had exactly the same thing happen to them!!

Ego -  that must be pretty tough training on a limited carb diet, but it sounds like it's all going well and hopefully it will pay off for you! There are lots of very fast 70 y-o men out there, so don't feel too bad about being overtaken!

I need to get my TT bike properly set up as I did a slap-dash effort for an oly in July. I will need more comfort from if I'm to ride it at IMNZ. You saying  about the hills, one thing I noticed on Sunday, I was on a standard road bike (albeit with carbon deep-section rims) and I was noticeably faster on the climbs than those with aero bikes. I think there is a weight disadvantage to be had there but there were sections where they had an advantage. I think on a course like that it's swings and roundabouts and we have our personal choices. A flat course, TT bike everytime, hilly and for me it's a road bike! You should be ok at IMNZ though as the course looks largely flat-ish, I don't know about IM OZ.

PUP - You're taking this way too seriously!! A nutrionist?? Crikey, give me a tenner and I'll tell you to pack up the booze! image. I've already decided not to go back into OW this year, that means the next time will be in NZ. Scary thought!

Until next time.... happy training!

• Options

I know, I know image  How to stop drinking: don't put wine in mouth. Simples! I have a tendency to take thing a leeeeetle bit to seriously sometimes - I just want to be a bit skinnier so my lungs don't try and escape out my mouth going up hills...

Nursing a niggly knee at the moment so I am taking a couple of days off to rest it. Feel horribly guilty and slack, naturally. 

• Options

did a 3 hour ride this morning and then a 45 minute run, should have run an hour but was running a bit late.  (woke at 3:45 to get it all in before work)
    A friend is visiting so I have been eating much more than I had been for the past month --- and I notice that I am sleeping much better this week and I seem to have more energy during training.

trying to swim every night at one of the beaches near where I live which seems to help with recover

6 hour ride scheduled for saturday

have a good training and if anyone comes to Nice/Monaco get in touch

• Options

3.45 AM ????image Does that time even exist?

Wow. 

• Options
    Not in the sane world no image
  • Options

my wife says i wake up when the farmers wake up.

• Options

Hello all,

Posting to bump this back onto the front page.

The bike course may look flatish but there are a few climbs to it. In fact, you're pretty much going downhill for most of the first half of the first lap, then it's a false flat on the way back with two noticeable inclines.

I did the bike course in IMNZ08 on a road bike in 7:31 and this year on a tri bike in 7:30. Mind you, my training for this year's race was a bit more sporadic than the previous one. I would be happy to ride my tri bike on the IMNZ course again, but only if I was confident of hill work on it (the first hill just out of transition is a bit*h).

Hope all your training and holiday planning is going well. I am looking forward to watching for once!

Alison

• Options
    thanks for the input!
    how is training going everyone?
    i am looking forward to a 6 hour ride again this saturday, but i am still too heavy....
  • Options
    But are you losing anything or gaining musle?  How far are you getting in your 6 hours rides?
  • Options

i can wear pants that I couldnt wear before I started training, so i seem to have lost 5 kilo or so of gut .... but I was dieting like madness; had no energy and was sleeping like crap ... the past few weeks, I stopped dieting so strictly, immediately went back to sleeping great and my training is much better because I have more energy.  I had become insomniac  when I was dietiing so sleeping again is nice...

i did 167km on my first and only 6 hour ride, but I rode 152km on a bit more than 5 hour ride so my longest time on the bike was a very slow ride....

I am in dubai until monday and I want to try and ride from Dubai to Abu Dhabi which is 150 km ..... my wife is against it because the road is a major highway and people drive very fast on it, but I want to get my friend to ride behind me in a car to ensure i dont get hit ....  I need to ride 6 hours on saturday, so either on my bike or on the turbo I will be pluggin away. 

• Options

thanks for the tips, Alison.

Egoman, I am starting to think I shouldn't be on the same thread as you, 6 hours on a turbo trainer would send me into screaming insanity I think! I managed not to get a long ride in this weekend as I'm packing up for a house move and I didn't much fancy cycling in the howling gale that was lashing Edinburgh. Why do I feel so guilty? image

My sore knee is at least better, and all by itself too as I've been too crazybusy with work and packing to manage to see the physio. Must. Get. Back. To. Training. Groove!

• Options

PUP .... i am an absolute nobody ....esp. when it comes to bike training.

My interest in trying 6 hours on a turbo is because i read about some pro triathletes doing a turbo for 6 hours facing a wall as a mental challenge. 

however, i have still yet to try it . 

I was not able to ride to Abu Dhabi because its illegal to ride a cycle on the main road and only ended up riding for less than 3 hours on back roads between dubai and abu dhabi.....I rode in the early afternoon to gain heat training....

i rode about 2.5 hours this morning but only 71 km so I am foolishly slow --at the end of the day, I'm a nobody who has big goals!

• Options
    Don't be so hard on yourselve, I'm still trying to learn how to ride a bike so your better than I am. image
  • Options

Hello y'all... I've ben out of it for a few days - I was in Oslo for a couple of days and it's strtaing to get bloomin' cold there - no heat training to be had! HOwever, I haven't done any training for 3 days - I was startying to feeel a lattle jaded and lacking motivation, so I guessed a few days off, some drink with some old uni mates might help. It's quite normal to have these periods when training for something way in the distance (or so it seems but it's soon in your face!).

152kms in 5 hours, training - that's pretty good pacing ego - 30kms an hour (18 mph) - even when I was a dedicated bike racer, anything over 15mph was considered reasonable going on your own, especially if you could keep it up for several hours. The trick is to make sure your speed work is short and very hard, as you don't your tarining pace to become "your pace" whatever it is you are doing - i.e training and racing pace! Good going though.

3:45 am -m and your sleepiing better - how much were you not getting before?? image

The longest ride I've done to date during this campaign is about 135 - 140 kms (75 miles) in around 4 hours, so a little off the pace but there's still 5 months of training to be had and I haven't started on the real speed work yet - that won't happen until mid-December and I'm so not ready for a 6 hour ride at the moment and .... and..... and...

PUP - get those niggles sorted now! Don't assume that it's gone, even a couple of physio sessions vould make the difference!

Ta for the course gen Ally BB - not sure that makes me feel good at the moment, but forewarned is forearmed as they say, so at least I can adjust my training accordingly! I might find myself walking that first hill after T1....

I'm sure the weather will dictate 6 hour turbo sessions in the coming months, but I'm going to stay away as much as I can from that - insanity on two wheels!!

Now I'm off for a run! Happy training dudes - and stay safe in the darK!

• Options

That first hill really is a bitch but it eases out and by the time you get 10km out of town you're on a perpetual downhill (well at least it feels like it most of the time).

I would recommend driving the course if you can. But the main bit to know is the first 10km or so to the intersection of broadlands rd and centennial rd (by the motor racing circuit) then turn back towards town so you know the first section out and then the section back to town. But more of that nearer the time.

The weather is getting better over here, although it's been a bit wet, windy and cold this past week. Top temperature today of 15 in Rotorua (an hour north of Taupo).

• Options

TL, I'm still learning too, only got my first road back in January, so I am really a beginner!

75 miles sounds good, SP, solid base. Intrigued that anything over 15mph is decent, maybe I'm not such a terrible slowcoach after all. 

Egoman, your training sounds pretty good to me, I don't think you sound like a nobody at all! 

Here's a question. How are people who work full time proposing to fit it all in? I had requested compressed hours at work to give me a day off during the week for a long ride or run in daylight (in short supply in Scotland in January) but it's been knocked back - and in quite an upsetting way too, which is a whole other story. are your work supportive?  Or are they like mine & basically don't give a bollox?

• Options

PUP -- the reason i wake up so early is this is the only way i can fit my training into my day.  my training was going great up until a week ago or so when i had to go on several unexpected business trips.  i tried to run at the hotel, but its not the same.

my swim training has been inconsistent...

my first IM is coming up Dec 5th and I do not feel close to being ready .... but no matter what I will also do IMNZ (organized a family vacation around this so no way I will not do it)  i know ... i know ... its incredibly arrogant to plan your 2nd IM before you do your first .... but it will be a good story one day!

good training everyone

• Options
    Pop Up Pundit wrote (see

Here's a question. How are people who work full time proposing to fit it all in? I had requested compressed hours at work to give me a day off during the week for a long ride or run in daylight (in short supply in Scotland in January) but it's been knocked back - and in quite an upsetting way too, which is a whole other story. are your work supportive?  Or are they like mine & basically don't give a bollox?

Seems like we all have the same problems. I'm an IT consultant in the financial sector and travelling is killing at the moment. Been suffering a few motivational issues the last few weeks but have just come off a cold, so maybe the enforced rest may have re-invigorated my mind! I'm also laying off any big rides for a few weeks.

Since our company was aquired by a very large computer company, I've hardly seen anything of my former colleagues so it's not so much they don't give a bollox - they simply don't know, so yeah - there's no support there at all.

Worst of all, it looks like I may have to do a business trip to South Africa in January - yuk, I hadn't counted on another long haul flight so close to the event and January is the worst month as that's when my training should be at it's height. I won't be able to go running or anything as it's too dangerous outside of hotels. I was there for 10 days last year and I was crawling up the walls of my room as the hotel had no gym.

I will be starting some early mornings too, to get a few more double sessions in, maybe no more than a 45 minute turbo session or run though.

When it's finished, it won't be the IM that you'll say was tough, it was the training, you'll say!

Keep at it guys....

• Options

Ally BB - I'm sure you're going to give us little snippets about this course right uptio the date when we fly and the you're going to say "did tell you about that right bugger of a climb....."

Glad to hear there is some downhill... 

• Options

Think I've said it before, I'm cr0p on hills and I wouldn't describe any of the hills as 'a bugger of a climb' though   Ok the climb out of Taupo was more difficult the second time around but the only one I could have done without was on the private road bit on the second lap. Even that isn't that bad though, just goes on a bit.

The last few klicks back into Taupo are awesome - downhill all the way - best bit of the course IMOimage

• Options
    SP south africa is gorgeous and if you havent been there before, you should be excited! many people would kill to have the chance to visit SA. surely you will have a gym in whatever hotel you stay at so you can run and or do bike machine (not the same, but better than nothing) Try and get exit row so you can stretch your legs.

i have had to travel a lot recently, and this is my peak 4 weeks of training before I rest for dec. due to my recent sudden travels, my training is not as good as before, but better than nothing. however, i suspect i am going to get slapped dec 5th because of lack of consistency.

also, you seeem to be a strong runner which will surely help you. I am a slow runner with bad form so even with lots of training, I am still going to struggle!

as for support - i see you are a pirate. the pirates are the best support group I have seen. when you are feeling uninspired, log onto their website and read the stories of the various pirates, that always works for me. have a good weekend everyone
  • Options

There will be lots of support in Taupo, that I can guarantee, well, as long as it's not absolutely peeing down, but even then the hardcore will be out in force (the town gets behind the event).

I will be down there, most likely working as I've just got a new job at the Daily Post, the local daily paper for Rotorua and Taupo. My role is news/sport and the sports editor has indicated that after 10 years reporting on IMNZ he's happy to let someone else do it. But I will be down there supporting too as I've a few club mates and friends from my last town competing.

Now for the hills on the run course...there's one annoying hill and it's near the airport, known as the airport hill. On the run out it's a gradual climb but has a steeper incline on the other side, and you go up it twice as it's two laps. There are a few other bumps in the course but nothing too significant.

Any other questions happily throw them my way, whether it's about the race or for holiday plans. I sometimes feel like I'm on holiday, especially when we get a three-day weekend like this weekend! Must fit in some training - my race is the Rotorua half ironman on December 19.

Alison

• Options

Ego when you going to Australia?

PUP, Ego if you have family going to NZ get them in pirate t-shirts dopn't want to be the only gobby one there image

Don't think SP will be wearing his Pirate kit as our club kit is more has a bit more comfort in the saddle so to speak, but its the same colours tho.

Have a good weekend training you lot.

• Options

TL the race is dec 5th, but i am going Nov 28th. 

my wife is going to NZ with me and surely she will wear the pirates shirt (i have order several pirates kit but dont know when it will arrive)

have a good weekend everyone

• Options
    Suffolk Punch wrote (see)
    Pop Up Pundit wrote (see

Seems like we all have the same problems. I'm an IT consultant in the financial sector and travelling is killing at the moment. Been suffering a few motivational issues the last few weeks but have just come off a cold, so maybe the enforced rest may have re-invigorated my mind! I'm also laying off any big rides for a few weeks.

Since our company was aquired by a very large computer company, I've hardly seen anything of my former colleagues so it's not so much they don't give a bollox - they simply don't know, so yeah - there's no support there at all.

Worst of all, it looks like I may have to do a business trip to South Africa in January - yuk, I hadn't counted on another long haul flight so close to the event and January is the worst month as that's when my training should be at it's height. I won't be able to go running or anything as it's too dangerous outside of hotels. I was there for 10 days last year and I was crawling up the walls of my room as the hotel had no gym.

I will be starting some early mornings too, to get a few more double sessions in, maybe no more than a 45 minute turbo session or run though.

When it's finished, it won't be the IM that you'll say was tough, it was the training, you'll say!

Keep at it guys....

That's a nuisance about the SA trip, really bad timing.

I've also had an enforced week off, I was running in Cardiff 1/2 mara last weekend and had chest pains most of the way round! I thought I was going to be one of these fit people who drop dead in a race that get laughed at by couch potatoes image But it turned out to be a cold, which was a relief in a way, that I'm not about to have a heart attack, plus I had such a busy week at work I struggled to find time to do anything about training. Still got a PB image

PLanning on going out on the bike for a spin this morning to see how I feel, but if I feel grim I won't push it. 

Tired legs, I will have a contingent of Scottish family & Kiwi family, I am going to get t-shirts printed for them I think, and they are plenty gobby, don't worry! 

Good tips again, ABB, thanks 

• Options

Hiya Trogs - how've you been since Zurich? Thanks for the gen on the climb back into Taupo! Will defo do a reccie of the course before the day!

Ego - I've been to SA twice before, both on business and that's probably the problem. I get to see the worst of SA and the last hotel i stayed in had no gym and I was crawling up the walls after the second day of 10. Even the hotel staff advised me not to go outside as they couldn't guarantee my safety! I'm sure there are some very nice parts to SA, I doubt I will get the chance to see them as I have other places that are higher priorities on my list to see!

ABB - so you can interview us after the race then and get our piccie in the local rag? I mean we would have just travelled 12000 miles just to be there! image

Ok, I'm getting a picture of the route - like there are hills, but nothing to really trouble and cause concern, but I understand the wind can whip up a bit later in the bike leg? Also, what's the road surface like? We had our coldest winter for 40 -odd years here in Essex and many of the back roads are still showing the signs of severe frost damage. Some of them look like they were built by the romans and haven't seen an layer of tarmac since then! (that's no slight on ther Roman's road building capabilities btw, in fact they were rather good at it).

Feeling better about my training again - was going through a bad patch last week. I can only say that i am so glad that I have a bit longer to go than December 5th (or the 19th to that matter)!

Well done on your mara pb, PUP, what time did you do? I'm not planning on doing anything like that on the build up, I doubt I'll do more than 16 miles in my longest run.

Yikes - a little over 4 months to go, sounds a long time but it soon goes...

• Options

Oh yeah - the pirate thing -  you should check out the race reports from the first Pirate Ironman outing to IMCH in 2005, that's what got everyone else signing up!! Mine's lost in there somewhere!

If it makes you feel any better, I was the last pitrate to finish just 12 minutes from the 16 hour cut-off! I expect to improve on that somewhat this time around!!