Options

IMNZ 2010

Comments

• Options

Hey SP!   Since Zurich I have mostly been lazy image

I rode the loop around Taupo a few days before race day  - about 12 miles I think.  You won't be able to do the private road bit cos they only open that up on 'the day'.  I did drive the all the way out to Reporoa though just to reassure myself that there weren't going to be any nasty surprises.

Believe it's not uncommon for the wind to pick up as the day goes on and most usually it'll be against you for the return leg(s) of the bike. 

I thought the road surfaces were pretty good generally - except for the few hundred yards which had just been resurfaced and were still covered with grit.  My friends has warned me the the roads weren't that good but I reckon they were a lot better than most of the Surrey roads I'd been training on.

Four months will fly by, particularly the two after Christmas image

• Options

Yikes. It's getting closer every day! I have set a countdown on my watch, so whenever I look at the time, I see "IMNZ 128"... "IMNZ 127"... "IMNZ 126" image I'm not sure that's actually helping.

SP, it was only a 1/2 mara, and I staggered round in 1.54, clutching my chest and wheezing -  I am a slow runner (should prolly point out that I'm a girl, if that wasn't clear image

• Options

Hi PUP

SP has gone out for a bike ride but I'm pretty sure he thought you were a boy image but to be fair so did I.

I don't call 1.54 slow for a half, I wouldn't mind that time.  Right must go now and do horrid XC training.  Really hate XC but according to SP it will be good for me huh.

• Options

A common mistake image thought I should clear it up. Mind you, I've been mistaken for a man IRL too, so not sure what's going on with that image

I think 1.54 is slow because in my head I am a fantastic athlete - it's the reality that's the problem. Have fun on the XC- I am sure it is must be good for you, anything that's so little fun must surely be?? 

• Options

i dont mean to brag......

5 hours straight, non stop on a turbo.....
    I wanted to go for 6 hours but couldnt take the bordem anymore at the 5 hour mark so stopped!

super boring and uncomfortable to get used to, but a good mental challenge

i fly to dubai today and my legs seem more stiff than after long road rides.  i am not looking forward to 6 hours on the plane the legs are going to be like wood planks when i arrive

hope everyones training is going strong ... my training has been ok, but a lot of traveling recently so a bit inconsistent.

have a good weekend

• Options

Ego are you having a recovery drink after your long sessions? although if you're not it's maybe too late mentioning it.

SP's training has been hindered a bit by travel for work, but his doing his best around this.

• Options

5hrs on a turbo image

<thud>

• Options
    5 hours on a turbo is just insane!  I thought I was doing well by sitting on an exercise bike for 1 hour!  By the end of that I was bored senseless so how you managed 5 hours is beyond me!
  • Options

90 minutes straight is my turbo best though I have managed 2:45 with a couple of stretching/toilet/fill up drink bottle (any excuse to get off the bike) breaks.

Summer's almost here! I'm riding in short shorts now (not the 3/4 length ones) and I went out without a thermal yesterday! But I did wear my arm warmers.

There's a guy in my tri club who's aiming to do 10xIMNZ in 10 days, with the 10th the official IMNZ race. He did a double last year. He's been clocking up stupid distances - last friday he cycled from Rotorua to Whitianga (about 250km) the next day cycled to the race start in Thames (92km and hilly) joined his brother and rode back to Whitianga. Nuts.

• Options

Meanwhile, those of us stuck in the northern hemisphere are digging out the longer tights/shirts,  waterproofs, overshoes, etc. image

Well, I guess 10 IM in 10 days might be marginally less stressful on the body that a straight deca.  But then, I can't understand what makes people want to try even a double.  It's just not normal!

• Options

I was out yesterday with my mob and there was a distinct lack of enthusiasm. I realise today why I was feeling of sorts yesterday (apart from the 5 1/2 hour drive home on Friday night after work) now mainly stocking up on multi-vit, echanacia (sp?) and the like.

Training's taking some hit with work, but there's a reasonable gym at the hotel I'm staying at near Manchester so even though the weather's been $h*te outside, I've still managed to get some good sessions in, it also has a 25 meter pool (I've done over 6000 meters this week) which is quite unusual for a hotel/private club.

Ego - that's phsycotic! The most I've done is 1 1/2 hours - I'm sure I will be forced into it but I have a contingency plan that will involve a mixture of road an turbo so I don't get too mad! I hope your journey to Dubai isn't too uncomfortable

PUP, I have a countdown on my training spreadsheet too, apparently today is 118 days to go. That is, taking 6th March as day 0. As I scroll down my spreadsheet, I have to scroll less and less - scary.

I once did a 12 hour time trial and toyed with the idea of doing a 24 hour TT, but didn't get any further than that, the training would horrendous (the 12 was bad enough!). Nah - the IM is the longest single day event I'd do now, although I am trying to get in to do Marathon de Sable in 2012!

Happy training and hope y'all stay cold and pig-flu free!

• Options

5 1/2 hour drive home???

"obsessive hand washing" helps keep the american flu away....

• Options

image We live in Essex and SP has been working in Manchester, plus the weather was horrid so took a bit longer than expected.  His also there all this week and 1st 2 days of next.

Any way see you got there OK, keep us posted when you can.

• Options

my legs are still sore from the turbo!  maybe its going from the turbo then a few hours later to 6 hour flight .... strange because they normally recover quickly after long rides.

great effort on the training SP  .... i can imagine it must be a challenge to juggle everything in
    when is the SA trip scheduled?  maybe there is a gym near his hotel ... you cant go running on your own in SA thats for sure!

as for the guy doing 10 IMs in 10 days .... ?  what does that person do for a living to be able to train so much?  amazing!

have a good week everyone and dont forget 'obsessive hand washing' !

• Options

Jamie is an accountant and has a very forgiving wife!

So it must officially be summer here - I did my first OW swim of the season but it was a bit chilly. Swam in the Blue Lake at Rotorua, last week it was 15 degrees so would only be marginally warmer. There were 8 of us, the first four got in and started swimming to the buoy away from the shore for the warm up but the rest of us decided that was far too silly as it was very very cold so we swam to the nearest buoy right by the shore. Only took about 500m for us to warm up, until that moment we had head freeze and freezing cold hands. The pee at 250m certainly helped warm me up!

Tri season starts next weekend in the same lake. At least I know I can cope in it now, not sure about the 5 8km laps for the bike though - it has a big, winding hill in it!

Hope everyone's feeling fit and healthy.

Alison

• Options

<boing!> 109 days to go!

That is all. 

• Options

Yep PUP SP was loking at his countdown last night and realised you're all nearly in double figures.

Hope all's going well.image

• Options

hey everyone, hope your training is going well.

I have had a really good week's training, fitted in all of my sessions where they were supposed to be and had an absolutely stonking cycle yesterday! I was only supposed to do 3 hours (I have a coach who does a programme for me, I am a slave to it as she knows what she's doing and I really don't image) however, a couple of friends & I decided to go out for a bit of an adventure.  Edinburgh>Kirkliston>Linlithgow> Grangemouth> over the bridge> Alloa>Saline? (I think, I didn't have the map!)>Dunfermline>Inverkeithing> back over the bridge> back to Embra. AN epic 73 miles, which for newbie me, is the furthest I've ever been in one go on the bike image It was just such a boost mentally, as I have been dreading going out on ever-longer cycles over the winter and worrying that I'm not up to it, but I am really starting to think I might be. It pissed down for the last hour, but TBH it didn't really bother me, which is a massive step forward for me, as I used to bail at the first raindrop! 

Have a great week everyone. 

• Options

Way to go PUP! That'll do wonders for your confidence. The long rides can hit you a bit mentally, but you're gong to have to deal with long periods of boredom, pissedoffdom and I'm getting effing wetdom - I think getting wet isn't too bad once you're out, it's going out in the rain which is really demoralising.

I did a beasting session on the turbo on Friday night as the weather men said it was going to be awfull here on saturday. It wasn't. And just to spite me, the sun came out! So I went out with all intentions of 3 1/2 - 4 hour ride and was knackered after 2 1/2 hours!

Still, managed a good 12 mile run yesterday, so not all bad - and at least I'm not stuck in Manchester anymore! I'm trying to take the positives when I can as much of my training has gone south these last few weeks.

Let's think ourselves lucky we do have 0ver 100 days - ego has about 2 weeks!

How you getting on ego?

Oh yeah - thanks for sharing your toilet habits with us ABB - I was trying not think of that all summer as the lake I swim in locally is quite a small body of water and a lot of triathletes used it during the summer.... imageimage 

SP

• Options

went for an easy 90 minute run yesterday and 80 mintes into the run my knee suddenly hurt so badly, i had to stop and it hurt just as bad when I walked.... as i was limping and thinking to myself I must have torn something in my knee ... it hurt very badly and i could barely walk on it.

but then a french guy ran past me and said to me in a condescending tone "bon courage" speaking to me as if i was a total pussy .... so i decided to try and run through the pain .... thinking to mysef i might have torn something and possibly screwed up my IM.  another 10 minutes the pain was gone and my knee has not hurt since.  very odd!

• Options

after 6+ months of training and completely re-organizing my personal life around my ironman training; losing 10 kilo, spenidng an absolute sheet load of money on bike, gear, travel box, etc .... 4 days before i am to fly off to perth, i cancel my trip due to work and an important business trip.

it was foolish of me to think i could miss two weeks of work right before the end of the year, but i tried.

now... NZ will be my first IM

it was unexpected i had to cancel so it has left me a bit gutted the past few days and i have not trained nor wanted to train since monday ... i will try to get back into it tomorrow

hope to see team NZ  dec 11th .

• Options

oh egoman, I'm so sorry to hear that image  you must be totally gutted. Poor you. I can well imagine you wouldn't want to train. 

it is only 98 days to IMNZ though...? it will fly by and then you will be IronEgo! 

• Options

That's really shit luck egoman, I'm gutted for you mate. image

And there was me thinking I had a raw deal with my work!

Take a week off - as you're finding your head is going to be your worst enemy after a let a down like that. Also if there is anything dodgy with your knee - a chance to have it looked at before IMNZ.

Meanwhile, my SA trip is still on for January and by the looks of things it may be as much as 4 weeks -  what a bummer! So I'm going to have to pack in as much as I can this side of New Year to put some in the bank.

And now it's less than 96 days to go!!

Had a bruising 60 miles ride on Saturday into a wind I'll describe as fresh to strong - there was a lot of vegatation movement - but the weatherman still described it as "breezey". Pah! Then a one hour 6 mile run straight afterwards. I was completely knackered after that - I'm not a big power rider and really suffer in the wind so I hope this wind that is spoken of at NZ doesn't blow too hard for us, esp as there's a good chance I'm going to miss 4 weeks of proper cycling.

• Options

i am off to China tomorrow for a few days .....
    i should be sitting in australia right now

i watch the NZIM video two nights ago on youtube.  looks gorgeous.

• Options

It is image

Sorry to hear u had to cancel Oz.  Hopefully your China trip will be sufficient to clear the disappointment and you'll return raring to get back into training with renewed focus.

• Options

hope you're feeling a bit better now egoman. Must be the pits for you...

I wanted to ask you guys about motivation today....I had a real dip this morning. I had planned to go for a run before work, but instead, I lay in bed panicking chanting "I can't do it  cause I'm rubbish, I can't do this training, I want my LIFE back, my head hurts, my throat hurts, my legs hurt and I don't WANNA!"

Is it normal? 

What do you do when the demons strike? 

(it all came good later in the day on this occasion,  I did my run at lunch & my cycle after work, and as my head was much more into it, it was a lot better/easier than if I'd have tried to force it this morning)

• Options

Sit down and have a nice cup of tea!

Yep - you're going through probably what every Ironman-elect goes through. It's a combination of a number of things. 1) The amount of training; 2) Your mates think your mad, even if they claim to be triathletes themselves and probably think you won't/can't do it; 3) Work gets in the way and you're concerned at the amount/level of training you're doing; 4) YOu do have a life outside of IM, but at the moment it doesn't seem like it..... I could go on, but you get the picture?

I'd say take a couple days out, take stock and put a plan together for what you're going to do for the next couple of months and it'll give you time to think about your nutrition strategy. Don't forget, resting is as important as any swim, ride or run!

Though running isn't so bad, cycling during the winter months isn't easy with daylight hours and weather conditions. I think you mentioned earlier on you were North of the Border, so it's probably harder for you - especially during the week, if at all. By the time my work's finished and I've done the commute home - it's dark, there's mainly country roads which have dreadfull surfaces and it's completely unlit - not good. So nearly all of my weekday cycling since October has been on the turbo. But however boring that is, I make it hard, so I know that I am having a good session. On days I'm working from home, I've also started going to morning spinning sessions.

You have to find the positives and not concentrate on the negatives. When I came back from my 60 miler on saturday, I felt like $h*t but it had been 4 hours into a strong wind - that has to have done me some good - at least that's what my OH keeps yelling at me!!

And remember - you'll end up in New Zealand in the middle of their summer - it will be warmer - and you would have just come straight from training through the British winter. You'll be all the tougher for it!

'Course you can do it!!

• Options
    Of course - it hasn't escaped my notice we have afancy new home!!!
  • Options
    I don't yell       image
  • Options

Ooops - meant "telling"...

(Covers head from frying pan being hurled across the room)