IMNZ 2010

Comments

• Do you really want an answer imageimageimageimageimage

Hey really looking forward to my beach holdiay imageimage

• did a 6 hour ride yesterday ... i was very slow and the ride was boring because i did a 14 km loop ...many times!

did everyone book their accomadation?  any recommendations?  i need to take care of this, this week.

i look fwd to meeting everyone in 6 weeks!

• Hi egoman

SP and moi are staying in the Copthorn Hotel and PUP is staying at the Astro Motel, both are near each other and in Taupo not too far from the start.

Well done on your 6 hours bike ride yesterday, look forward to see you too.

• well done on the 6 hours ego, that's fierce!

I did a five hour ride on Saturday, then a 2 hour run & an hour swim on Sunday and for the first time in over a month, didn't cough once the whole time!

THink I've finally shaken this cold, which is great as I feel a lot more happy and confident when i can put in a full training week. 

I think I may have taken on a bit too much at the moment though as I've just found I've been successful in a promotion that I applied for at work, into an entirely new job image  if all goes to plan I start it 2 weeks before I finish up to go to NZ. It all seems a bit over whelming really, the timing just sucks! My head is full of bikes and wetsuits and protein shakes, and trying to cram a new job into the space that's left is a bit of a challenge. Well, I guess it will all come together somehow. 

Better get to bed, early start tomorrow and I am feeling really tired already. 

• Well done PUP and Ego some good training there.

SP won't be around here now until 6/7 Feb as his now in Joberg on business.  keep up the good work guy's not long now.

• pup congrats on the promotion -- you still going to NZ, right?

SP is in j'burg?  his hotel has a gym? his focus is impressive and very motivating

yesterday i did a 7 hour ride and 30 minute run.  the ride was good for 6 hours and then i completely died ... the last 45 minutes was absolute hell.  i was dehydrated.  i find the pain is not in my legs, but in my shoulders and neck from the TT bars.

today (its 4:30 right now) i have a 1 hour bike and then a 3 hours run .... 

yesterday snd todays training were scheduled for sat. and sunday, but i am traveling this weekend so have to do them during the week. 

SP - i am sure you are frustrated, but look at it as a game.  find a gym and do a long run on the treadmill or bike ... and turn it something positive, i.e. doing a 5 hour ride on stationary bike or long run on the treadmill will be a mental challenge.  either way - you all have great attitudes, which has really helped me.  i think of you all when i am training!

anyone flying through dubai to NZ?  I think I am flying the monday before the race.  I am flying emirates from dubai and will probably rent a car and drive the 4 hours from aukland. 

now i am off for my training.  see you all soon

• SP - i arrive tuesday (but might change it to arrive monday if i can)  i am going to rent a car and drive to Taupo.  i will probably regret because its 4 hour drive compared to 45 minute flight - but i have never visited NZ before and figure it must be a gorgeous drive

i have not booked my accomadation yet - will try to do so today

• totally forgot about this race.  good luck guys, not long to go now.
  • Ego you have the same trip as us except different day - it your wife going with you and can she share the driving.  We're also be driving from Aukland but will be sharing the driving.

Have you booked your accomdation in Taupo yet? if not get a move on man or you'll be sleep by the lake image

• you are flying emirates?  what day are you going through dubai?  it would be great to share the driving and fun.  are you stopping in dubai or just flying through?

i am not sure my wife is coming or not -- i am the chairman of the comapny - she is the ceo and it is not good if we are both be out of the office at the same time ... and if she comes she will come later in the week. 

my guess is she will show up and surprise me, but i am not suppose to know!

I had a great easy 60 minute ride this morning (did 30 km loop) and then I ran ... the transition to the run was perfect --- I lasted 2:15 minutes running well when i mistakenly stopped to pee ... then I completely died. 

I struggled the last 1:15 minutes ... walking, super slow jogging ... I was running in between dubai and abu dhabi on a road in the middle of the desert with the sun beating down on me .... I felt like Chevy Chase in the movie "Vacation" where he was walking in the desert and because he didnt have any water he got dehydrated and started to take his cloths off and act silly ... i thought of that scene as I struggled back to my car....i took off my shirt, my hat, even my sun glasses. 
    but now i am feeling good.

• Hiya Ego

not sure on details I've let SP sort that out image, but do know we have 2 stops.  We leave the UK on 26/2 at 8pm (I think).

I'll try and get details or at least get SP to update, but we are with Emirates.

• Greetings from South Africa fellow IMNZers! Quite warm here but as it's the rainy season there's been some terrific showers and there's a very noisy thunder storm on right now!! The 11 hour flight left me pretty shattered so didn't get any training in on Tuesday - particularly as for about 2 1/2 hours the plane was going 10 rounds with Mike Tyson - it was banging and crashing all over the place so sleep was impossible!

Being about 1800 - 2000 meters above sea level, what gym-based training I have done this week has been interesting. I feel more adjusted to the difference now, it's not a big difference, but it is noticable.

Ego - I'm guessing there's not many roads where you are, you must stay hydrated, are you able to place bottles out along route beforehand where you think you'll need them if you're going to do a longun? The back pain is quite normal. Makes you feel like an old croc when you step off th bike - next stop the retirement home.... Could be your core stability that's the problem. I've been doing lots of weights during this campaign (crikey - I've even beeen developing shoulders - I've never had those before!!) and with the increased swimming (this helps the core also) I've been getting better in that department, but I still ache (esp lower back and across the shoulders) after about 4 1/2 hours riding. Cervelo P3 or not, you'll want to throw it in the lake once you finish that 112!!

Some great training there PUP. Sounds like you're back on track you now have a few weeks to cram in some good sessions (aswell as the gels...), but do reduce intensity a 2-3 weeks before the event  - good news about the promo - Yeah, don't I know how work sucks at times? But as Ego says, like i have to use this time in SA as mental prep as much as anything else - and remember it's work that gives you the resources to buy all that lovely carbon fibre, wetsuits and all the other palarva you need!

So today's training. After deciding that 1 1/2 hours is much as I can bear in the dingey, lack of AirCon gym we have here, I've decided to do 3 * 90 min sessions. each comprising 60 mins gym bike and 30 mins treadmill, with a few hours rest in between. There is a pool here but because of the rain - the water is absolutely freezing.

Ego, we are flying via Dubai on Emirates, our flight from Dubai leaves Saturday morning (I think around 8-ish am, afetr 2 a 3 hour stop-over) and arrives in Auckland at around 2:30pm on Sunday. This is all the week before.

Thanks for the good luck JD, I think we're all going to need some that as we're all facing our own personal challenges on this one!

Right, off to the dingey gym!

• Going out of my mind here! I am totally fed up with this bloody gym bike - it's doing my arse in!

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.......

(That's better).

• Oh dear! That was some primal scream there SP!

Good for your mental toughness I'm sure. 

I am on a HYUUUUGE training week this week, I've even taken a couple of days off work to fit it all in. I'm tired at the prospect, but I am looking forward to ticking off each session and hoping for a proud glow of achievement when i look back at the training log. 

Had a great ride at the weekend with a friend in the Yorkshire Dales - there was still loads of snow and it was a strange feeling cycling through the drifts by the road - I could feel the cold air rolling off them, which is something you miss in a car. It was FAB to get back on the road though, what a difference to the turbo. The previous week I had stayed on my turbo for five hours, which was....challenging. Got off once in a while to go to the loo and get cups of coffee image

Feeling very chirpy and positive about it all today. Right, off to the pool. 

• great job PUP ... SP completely forgot you were still in SA at the gym ... you will probably still kick my ass.

I went to yemen for the weekend and did a 45 minute run in the countryside of Yemen ... my wife was very angry to hear this because she thinks yemen might be dangerous .... odd, that.
    brilliant trip - brilliant run.

this is a recovery week before 3 hard core weeks then my taper.

see you all soon!

• Running in Yemen, that sounds a bit risky to me too, I think theyre on the brink of becoming public enemy No2?

Are you doing IMNZ still Egoman?  I vaguely remember someone telling me youd had to pull out due to work or was that another race?
  • IMNZ is on 100% - thanks for asking. i ran 45 minutes in yemen wearing my pirates shirt ... so maybe thats why no one bothered me
  • image - the all-important anti-terrorist gear - The Pirate Shirt!

Yemen sounds positively idylic compare to where I am. Hearing conflicting stories though. One guy here tells me his little girl has never stepped out of the front gate, never crossed a road, never walked to her friend's house 100 yards down the road. She's 10 years old - what kind of life is that? Another tells me that everything is perfectly safe. I guess the truth is somewhere in between, but however tempted I may be to go out for a run, everyone tells me it is very easy to go to the wrong part of J'burg.

And we've all heard the stories of the taxi man who drives with his elbows while he's trying to make his phone call? Yeah - well I've met him!!!!!

• do not go running in j'burg unless you have to run from someone trying to mug you.

i love SA, esp. cape town but damn J'burg is another world...

• I feel very provincial on this thread suddenly. My most dangerous runs are done in Leith lol.

That said, today I am on FIRE - I have nailed my sessions stone bloody dead - was doing 400m reps in the pool today and I was tearing them up and spitting them out. Then this evening it wasa 90 minute run with 3x20min hard/threshold efforts and I absolutely killed them. I don't want to jinx myself here, but I think I might be peaking at just the right time, which is such a relief after all the illness worries. Hurrah! image

woot woot, bring it ON! 

SP, Ego are you both running in pirate gear on the day? That's such a girls question, isn't it, what are you wearing?? I don't know what my gear selection is yet, it's so hard to envisage going outside without five layers on, I am struggling to think what would be best....

• You have to go with the Pirate gear -  it was much admired and easily recognised last year so I'm sure a few of the local suporters will remember it.

Sounds like it's all coming together for you all. Keep up the good work image

• thanks trogs! Er, I don't have pirate gear though, I'm not really a pirate, just a piratey hanger on image

I am re-reading your thread from last year for inspiration, BTW image

• Hope you find some -  inspiration, that is image

• as i am a "wanna be" pirate ... i will be wearing my pirates shirt.

i ordered a bunch of other pirates gear, but it has not arrived yet, but at least i have a buff and shirt

• Trogs - I don't know about it all coming together - it's been falling apart for some of us!!! 

I think you're gonna be kicking both our arses into touch PUP with that training!

I'm doing lots of hours on the gym bike, this morning was the first morning since I've been in SA that I was able to hold my sea-level 70-75% comfortabley for around 20 minutes, with a few 80%+ threshold efforts.

What are we going to wear? Yeah - that is a bit girlie PUP! image Still, I do have pirate gear, though a bit old now. So I will probably wear my club gear - it's sort of Pirate colours - Black and old gold! I'm wearing specific gear for each discipline - so that's proper cycle gear (skinsuit) for the bike leg and shorts and vest for the run. Will mean transitions will be a bit longer - but hey - I'm not looking to win this thing and the one thing I missed last time was comfort - now that's an old git thing! I will however have my pirate buff, so I won't be totally pirate-less.

What sort of times are you looking at doing? I think with the training I haven't been able to do, if I can get under 14 hours I would have gone well. But you never know. I doubt I'll finish in daylight, I seem to recall reading that it gets dark at around 8pm around then, so i think I'd have to go some...

36 days to go!

• Waves to SP helloimage

Don't you dare keep me wait 16 hours again image

• Waves back to TL.....image

Hey - was just making sure I got my money's worth! image

• Hey SP, I am a girl, so I will ask girly questions I'm afraid image  Next it'll be "does my bum look big in these shorts?" and then you should run for the hills...

I'm with you on planning a complete change. Will do swim in tri suit under wettie I think, then change to proper cycling shorts & top for the cycle, then running gear for the run. Like you, comfort is as important as speed and a couple of minutes extra in transition (for a wee rest!) is OK by me. 

Well training wise, what goes up must come down and after yesterday's ass-kicking training, today felt a lot harder. Was doing reps on the dreadmill, 2*3K @11.5KPH and  & 3*1K @12.5 KPH and they hurt. I've got hurty bits where I didn't even know I had bits today. 

I am supposed to get on the bike this evening for 2*20K hard but I seriously doubt that's going to happen. I'll clamber on and see what happens but I rather think it will be a gentler spin than that.

Kudos to you SP for toughing it out in the hotel gym, that cannot be easy or pleasant, so bloody well done!

Time wise I think I will be lucky to get under 15 hours, but to be honest, I haven't a clue. it'll take me as long as it takes me, the only goal is really to finish and I don't want to get over excited chasing a time and then blow up. 

I went to get t-shirts printed for my support team today, that was quite exciting! (and expensive!). They're purple, my favourite colour so I can pick out my cheerleaders when I'm knackered. If they don't like purple, too bad - I'm the princess for that day & they can wear what they're told image

• Hey PUP that just happens tro be my fav colour too  image

Take it easy if you're feeling tired and defo don't worry about the time, we're be there till you're all in.