Options

west mids events thread

Comments

• Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    First guy home at the Arden 9 = 48 minutes something *thud* image How does anyone do that!? I wasn't ready to cheer, just got me 99 ice cream image 
  • Options
    Hiya Spence, I cycled the course with the lead runners, it was great just cycling along side them, in the action as it where, could of been really boring but it wasnt.
    The guy that won was pretty much on his own from mile 6, it was 48:03, new course record.

I like chocolate and orange, might see you at the Rowheath race but not sure yet.
  • Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

You could have joined us for a slice if I'd known Chris!

Quite a few Sparkhill runners entered, which club has the blue stripes,? loads of them seemed to finish in great time.

• Options

Probably Chris M's lot, Centurion RC.

• Options

Yeap thats us..... we just swamp all the opposition.

• Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

Did you perhaps, maybe hear someone shouting at you that you were cheating by riding bikes when you came back in through the gate............image image

• Options
    It also had the advantage that I went and got a massage before all the runners where coming back, and I didnt have to run to get it image
  • Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    well I don't know who was shouting, how very rude ! image
  • Options
    I am sure it was of the young hoodies we see hanging round.......image
  • Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

I'm sure it was ! image

Race For Life in Brueton Park for me today image

• Options

See you there Spence!

Anyone else I should look out for?

Hats, shades and suncream definitely in order today.

• Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

Oh bummer, I was going to ask if you were marshalling as well image did you see me? I had my Breakthrough breast cancer T shirt (that I wore at Windy) with 'Spence' written on the front image

It was bliddy HOT

You didn't measure the course did you ? because it was short!! image

I did it in 25.56 which I was thrilled about as I haven't done much for weeks, but then 'Gazza' The Garmin told me it was 2.62 miles......

• Options

they are very rarely the right length Spence
    they don't need to be as it is an "event" not a race
    so you can only compare one year with another and not with any other 5k's

but you would think they would try a bit harder than 2.6 miles!!!

• Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

Indeed! image

This was a new one, just hope they do it at the same venue next year so I can compare, thing is also, I don't like to moan about it on FB as I have friends who ran it, who are really pleased with their times, I haven't the heart to say it wasn't the full distance image

• Options

by half a bliddy mile!!!

must admit i was feeling exactly the same when i saw you said you had a pb ;-/

they will find out when they next run a properly measured 5k, and their clubs if they run for clubs will not accept a rfl time anyway as it is not a uka event

• Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

They don't run for clubs, this is the only event they do, so would seem churlish of me to moan about itimage

I reckon I would have still had a PB.....just image

Should have taken the clicky stick from school!! image

• Options

lol lol lol

and then marched up to the organisers
    "i say, look at my clicky stick!!!"!

• Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
  • Options

No, didn't see you, Spence. I was in the 'Event Area' (i.e. near the start) most of the morning, and was the one waving the green 'Joggers' flag leading the second group of ladies from the warm-up area to the start.

I only saw one person I know, and had only met her the previous afternoon (at a friends, over a Pimms on the lawn!)

Remember that Garmin's aren't as accurate as they would have you believe, particularly when the route goes under lots of trees. Lurker's right about the approximate nature of the events, though. I did the 'Birmingham Insurance Institute' 10k in Sutton Park in 2008, and that was only about 8½km. That would still be my PB if I'd believed them!

Everyone seemed to have a good time, despite the heat, and I know that the CRUK event manager and her team, and also the council's events manager are all keen to do it again next year.

• Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    Good to hear they will do it there again RK, nice and easy to get too, nice route and now a time to beat! image
  • Options

There was one guy complaining quite aggressively about the road closures, but given the amount of support the event received I can't see the council objecting to it returning next year. I think the only thing which might stop it is if they decide to use other venues, as has happened before. RFL returned to Cannon Hill Park after a gap last year when they used the NEC.

BTW - you might not have recognised me with the beard...

• Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

Is it a false one?

Perhaps you could get a clicky stick and measure it for them next year image

• Options

Not false, but temporary - it came off this morning!

If I run the course and stop when I get to 22½ minutes that should be pretty close...

How was it on the grassy sections among the trees? Did everyone find the 'emergency water station'?

• Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

It was lovely under the trees & yes I was very thankful to see the 'emergency water station'

It was a lovely routeimage

Hoping to make it to club tomorrow, big knee test!image Are you back yet?

• Options

I'm not up to full-blown training just yet. I'll do a few miles tomorrow at around 10M or HM pace then rest until BBCHM.

Glad you enjoyed it yesterday - I got the impression that everyone had a good time.

• Options

How long you been off for your knee Spence, I think I might have to take a month out, the last two months I have hardly been able to run 3+ miles, I have managed 41 miles this month and my foot is not getting better. I ran the two castles but I paid for it afterwards.

Off to the quack on Friday, need to see someone about it.image

Oh well !!!!

C.

• Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

Chris - It hasn't been right since Windermere in May image Don't think I've made club since image what little speed I had built up is ebbing away! image

I've had an x ray on it, back to the quack on Monday.

Just going to try and build back up slowly and hopefully be ok for Brum Half, was going to do Rutland, but have given up on that.

That's what you get by taking up running when you're middle aged !! image

• Options

<coves ears with hands>

llalalalalalalalalalalala

• Options

Been to the quack, she wasnt happy that I was running upto 120 miles a month previous to injury......would she rather I sat around and did nothing with a resting heart rate in the 80s ????

Got to wait two weeks for the xray. (I had to nag a little to get one done)

Yeap going to try to resist the temptation to run this month, off to the swimming baths for me and on turbo trainner while watching tour de France on telly.

I was tempted by Rutland too, but no way now, although I am comtemplating Stratford full next year. Not sure about Birmingham half yet. Wanted to do Kenilworth half (nice course) but not sure about that one either.

See you all soon.

• Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

A friend of a friend is trying to start up a parkrun in Cannon Hill Park, this is part of a e-mail she sent to me if ayone is interested in helping or running message me and I will put you in contact with her image........

Just a reminder that anyone who can make it on Saturday at 9.00am is invited to the first meeting of the volunteers for the new Cannon Hill parkrun.UpdateWe have had positive news from parkrun and the Cannon Hill Park authorities and are looking at a start date of mid August to September.The purpose of the meeting on Saturday is to gather some volunteers for the various roles and scope peoples availability from mid August through September so that we have teams ready to go when we get a start date. Meeting will be finished by 10.00 at the latest.