west mids events thread

Comments

• I'm based in Wolverhampton, Hannahsmom, very close to some nice open countryside. I did Aldridge last year, but only the Fun Run because I was still recovering from a sprained ankle. I'm planning to do the full 10 k this year though. I've recently done the Dudley Kingswinford 10k, and the Crowle Gunpowder Plot 10k.

The Aldridge race will be my first after my holiday, so I hope I'll be in good shape!!!

• I did it last year too, it was my first ever race which i think i mentioned, but it was absolutely chucking it down with rain but that was good in a way as its made me not bothered about running in the rain now

i had better get my entry form in actually, i was sure that u could enter it online but it doesnt look like it, there is a thread on here aldridge 10k, i have posted on it but cant find it now

will ahve to meet up at the start then and say Hi, I may run in my red bham childrens hosp charity top so u can spot me

• SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

Anyone running Malvern Half in June?

• hannahsmom, the stourbridge 10k is 11th august

• Running Aldridge 10k and Malvern half, never run either before. Most of my training takes in the Aldridge 10k, so have run all of the course but not at the same time!

• I'll look out for you Hannahsmom. I haven't decided yet what top to wear, but I'll probably be wearing a skort (a recent purchase!! image). My next race after the Aldridge is going to be the Stratford Midsummer 6. It's a really nice race.

• Aldridge entered, I'm away on 11th august pity so can't do stourbridge, when is the Stratford one? I've also entered the over the edge half marathon eek!!! It's in much wenlock and it has 13 stiles!!!

Aldridge is 2weeks today let's hope the weather is better than this its chucking it down, I've also entered a race for life event on the Sat the day b4 the Aldridge 10k but I'll bimble around that one, its in Sutton park If anyone is bored and has nothing to do the day b4 ur welcome 2 come and cheer me on lol
  • Hannah

New event in August for the Midland area. Puckrup Hall Tewksbury Classic 5 Mile

Enter online with runners world or www.fyldecoastrunning.org

Ron

• Are you looking forward to the Aldridge 10k on Sunday, Hannahsmom?

• yes cant wait, i did Hobs Hole Lane hill yesterday I forgot how it just seems to go on and on and on

weather forecast is not very good tho

I am now wearing a pink running top with my name on it "Jo"  so hopefully you will see me

anyone up for meeting up before hand as we have to collect our numbers anyway There are some benches outside the stick and wicket cricket club we could meet by those if you want or failing that we could meet by the park on  the Green where you have to pass to go to the start of the race

let me know if anyone is up for it

• best of luck to everyone running this weekend

• Aargh!!! I've got problems with my achilles, so I've decided not to run at Aldridge after all! Sorry I won't get to meet you there, Hannahsmom, but perhaps we'll meet at another venue? I'm hoping to do the Stratford Summer 6, if my ankle improves. I'd had a bit of a niggle with it for a couple of weeks, but last night I went for a walk in my heavy walking boots because of the rain, and the boots proved to be too much for my poor Achilles. I'll have to give it a bit of rest. image

• awww sorry to hear that, had u entered it already?  hope u get better soon

• Thanks, Hannahsmom. Yes, but that's life, I'm afraid. How did you get on? I'm glad I rested my ankle though as it didn't feel too happy on Saturday, but it feels a lot better now.

• yes I did it in 1 hour 4mins, i still cant get under that hour but on saying that I didnt want to rush it as i knew it would be my last race as i've joined the club now so took my time and took pics all the way round!!! and weather was good too

• SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

Malvern on Sunday anyone!!?

• blakedown bolt for me this coming friday, touch nervous as didnt really appreciate it was cross country until i booked my place in it, and majority of my runs previously have been road runs, and most of my training has been too! the talk of an unavoidable water feature on 7k too is a bit disconcerting

• Hi did not know this thread was around looks good...

Im running this weekend in a race starting in Stratford upon Avon which is just up the road from me, should be good fun...

I saw someone had mentioned about the Much Wenlock half / marathon  that looks a great event wish I had a place.....

• John Gormley wrote (see)

blakedown bolt for me this coming friday, touch nervous as didnt really appreciate it was cross country until i booked my place in it, and majority of my runs previously have been road runs, and most of my training has been too! the talk of an unavoidable water feature on 7k too is a bit disconcerting

It is a XC - very little road but most of it is on well worn paths - not too much mud so don't worry! The water is not usually more than a foot deep and easily crossed in a couple of steps (and comes as welcome relief on a warm sunny evening.)

Me and the Mrs will there though I'm still getting over a chest infection so I may not be running. I will be cheering on the wife from the bar and BBQ though!

• great news there pete, thanks for that, makes me feel a little more happy about the run! sure will be challenging enough though, but think i might enjoy it a bit more now!

• Is there another little runner on the way, Hannahsmom? If so, congratulations - and well done on the race, too.

Is anyone doing the Stratford Summer 6 on June 30th?

• No other little runners on the way for me i'm afraid lol, just myself hahaha

Brett Runner - I believe after emailing the National Trust woman there are still 4 places left for the Much Wenlock Half Marathon ( there are 13 stiles mind so not the place for a PB and its off road ) The views are meant to be amazing so I shall have a bimble around it and not rush it and enjoy it

Need to have a look at some more races, it seems that most of the races I have wanted to do I am tied up doing something else ( mainly cheering people at at marathons!! )

will have a look at the thread for west mids runs, although I dont mind travelling further afield sometimes and making a weekend of it, if its somewhere nice 

• Ok I will email the lady and find out thankyou. I was running in that part of the world last year it is beautiful, and stiles are a small price to pay for the oppurtunity to witness stunning scenery.

The run I am doing this weekend will be taking in some very iconic views & villages in and around the cotswolds, again another fantastic place to run. This country has so many fantastic areas on offer to run in we are all truly blessed.....

• let me know if u get in BR  we can arrange a meet up before hand lol

• John Gormley wrote (see)

great news there pete, thanks for that, makes me feel a little more happy about the run! sure will be challenging enough though, but think i might enjoy it a bit more now!

No problem! Its a great little race with a fabulous atmosphere. There's a couple of small hills but nothing too challenging - I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Just checked the forecast and its looking a bit wet for the next few days. It may be a bit muddy in places because of that but not too bad - no where near as bad as the Stourbridge Stagger/Stumble can get anyway.

• legend777legend777 ✭✭✭

Spence - I'm doing Malvern Half. Have you run it before - if so, what's it like? The reviews on this site seem pretty good but sllightly worried about this headwind with the weather looking a bit dodgy for Sunday. by the way - someone has started a thread for Malvern Half.

Not from West Midlands, but up there visiting in-laws once a month, so will have to keep an eye on this thread for any events that I might be able to enter whilst up that way.  Anything on weekend of July 14th / 15th - that'll be my next trip up after this weekend.

• Thanks for the heads up Pete, i am looking forward to it whatever happens! also doing the stumble in August

• HAd a great time at the Stratford Misummer 6 yesterday evening. Did anyone else run it?

• There's a new event in the West Mids this September if anyone's interested, and it's going to be a corker! Details at www.ludlow12k.co.uk

• Lets all give the Puckrup Hall Tewksbury Hilton Classic 5 Mile race (New event) a try and help the Hilton raise lots of dosh for the Community Foundation supporting local childrens charities.  www.fyldecoastrunning.org for entry details