Options

Random dizziness

Had a series of random dizzy spells recently (not when running).

They're at random times, sometimes when I get up too fast but other times just randomly. I don't think it's related to time of day and/or food. My blood pressure is generally fine. The only thing I could think it could be related to is heart rate. A few months ago I had to go for an ECG as my resting HR was 38 and doc wanted to check it out. The beat is regular but just slow. It is generally now mid 40s to 50, which is a tad slow but nothing out of the ordinary...

Anyone got any ideas why I might be getting dizziness?

Comments

• Options
    Hi Aitch.   I've had something like this for the past week.  Random lightheadedness, slight feeling of nausea.  Popped to docs yesterday.  She did BP, looked in ears, asked a few questions and reckons there is something viral doing the rounds.  She prescribed some tablets which are meant to help with the dizziness.   (she also sent me for some blood tests but didn't think they would show anything untoward)   In the absence of any other obvious reason maybe you have something similar.  Can't do any harm to see your GP anyway.   
  • Options
    Thanks biz. Might pop to the GPs and see what they say... I've had no nauseous feeling or anything like that...

One other thing which could be linked is that my left ear feels like it has fluid in it... You know when you go swimming and you're left with water in. Well that's what the left one feels like. It's ben like this for about 4 days now and is REALLY annoying. Could be linked?

• Options
    yes .. quite possibly a mild ear infection

Go get it sorted before the problem gets worserer and THEY WONT LET YOU FLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

..... or worse still you might have to stop training  image
  • Options

vertigo

rest rest and rest

• Options

no don't rest ermmm

*ducks from Meldys shoe*

but it is an ear thing, sort it asap, cos I suffer badly with my inner ears and you don;t want to be off   for two weeks at the mo

• Options

I'd be thinking that could be the reason then - aren't the middle ear or inner ear connected with your balance?

a forum for dizzy people   you might find some info here.

Feel better soon.

• Options

crikey.....

a whole forum on it

*adds it to bookmark list*

• Options

Now where was THAT bloody forum last year when I was so flipping ill I couldn't stand up?image

I'm still dizzy though - but in quite a different way!

*flicks blonde hair and flounces out*

• Options
    Thanks guys, I will phone docs ASAP and get appointment to see GP!

At unit today but hopefully I can get in this evening.

Thanks muchly! x
  • Options
    Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

...yes I woudl also agree with what others have said (vertigo/labrynthitis - i think theyre slightly different????)....can take a while to settle too I am afraid IF it is that. My mum had it a while back quite badly. Calcium build up in the inner ear or something.

I actually mentioned it to my physio...who said 'oh yeah I can fix that' as there is a special maneuvour of the head that can be done.

...either that or stop filling your water bottle on your bike with gin. image

good luck eh!

• Options

Time and rest are the best healer for the inner ear.

Which is never good news for runners because we're impatient buggers.image

• Options
    I've been having this lately, mainly on standing up. Just awaiting results of blood test, after BP and ECG didn't show anything untoward.
  • Options
    Aitch hope your better soon chuck and LB your always dizzy it why we all like you. image
  • Options
    Well, managed to get an appointment. I have a story to tell about that *insert angry face* but I will tell you what they said first...

There is no infection (I didn't think there was as I have had no pain or anything)
    Ear looks a little foggy but nothing too bad
    She doesn't know what it is and suggested Sudofed and steaming to try and clear any congestion.
    She thinks dizziness could be linked to it
    BP is fine and HR is a more healthy 50

So I have no idea!!

As for my conversation at 8am with the receptionist (whilst I was a full bus to uni), well, you tell me whether you think she was in the wrong....

Me: I'd like to book an appointment please
    R: What seems to be the problem?
    Me: Er, well I don't really want to discuss it
    R: well I need to ask you because of the recent Swine flu
    Me; well I don't think I have got swine flu
    R: you still need to tell me, or is it personal?
    Me: No it's not personal but...
    R: well you must tell me

So I had to tell her my symptoms and she booked me an appointment with the nurse, not the GP.....
  • Options

Don't take any sh*t Aitch....

They can't SEE your inner ear and looking into your middle ear will have no effect whatsoever if you've got Labyrinithis or Vestibular Neuritis. I was complaining about my ears for weeks before somebody took me seriously and even in hospital when I was so dizzy I couldn't sit up and had to lie flat on the trolley, they suggested to my best friend that they thought I was suffering from "depression" image(code for f*cking nuts at the time)

When they finally got to the bottom of my condition they said it would take NINE months to heal. If they'd taken me more seriously to begin with and LISTENED then I would've been better sooner.

Sudofed didn't work for me. My inner ear wasn't congested - it was diseased.

The other thing is YOU ARE NOT UNDER ANY OBLIGATION TO DISCUSS YOUR CONDITION WITH A RECEPTIONIST. You have a right to be triaged by a medical professional -not someone who is fencing calls. Tell her to sod off.

I tell the receptionist I'll happily discuss my medical history when they've been to uni for five years. They usually give up and write "undisclosed" on the screen.

• Options

That is one of my absolute pet hates, receptionists asking what is wrong in front of a packed waiting room. 

One of these days I am going to say "THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH MY COCK" at the top of my voice. 

Hope you're OK Aitch.

• Options

LOL!

Be sure to pull a dead chicken out of your pants as you say it Coops......image

• Options

Other pet hate - "is it an emergency"????

Well........erm no. If it were an emergency I'd call an ambulance, pillock.image

• Options
    Grr I hate doctors receptionists. Whilst waiting to book in yesterday the receptionist was on the phone, booking a smear test for a patient and  read out her name and address image
  • Options
    MadameOMadameO ✭✭✭

Hope you're ok Aitch, let us know how you get on.

I do feel I need to stick up for the receptionists though. I was one for a year, when I'd just started my postgrad studies, and the crap we'd get from both doctors and patients was unbelievable. A lot of the doctors insist that the receptionists ask what the symptoms are, especially when it's for the more urgent appointments - as for the 'is it an emergency?' question, you'd be surprised how many people ring up with what sound like heart attack symptoms, then refuse to get off the bloody phone and call an ambulance. Oh, and don't get me started on the people that would throw massive strops when we refused to disclose test results over the phone.

I do agree though that there's a way of going about these things (Missy, that's just appalling!). I used to just explain to patients that the doctor had requested that I ask, and would always be very discreet. If someone really didn't want to tell me then I never pushed the issue. Most patients were fine with that - in fact, I got on with most of them and used to chat with the regulars (was just like working in a pub, but with a few more germs).

Fortunately I never had to contend with anything too gross. One of the girls who worked there told me about a guy who was asked to bring in a stool sample - but instead of putting a little scraping in the pot provided, he brought in a large Nescafe jar filled to the brim with shit.

• Options
    That's not good about the smear test Missy!

LOL at the stool sample. I think I would throw up!

I've taken a decongestant and will be doing a spot of steaming to see if that makes a difference. I was only dizzy once yesterday so will see how it goes today. It's annoying more than worrying, especially the sodding ear as I can't sleep on my usual side because my ear feels too odd!
  • Options

Hope you're feeling better soon Aitch.

• Options
    UltraCasUltraCas ✭✭✭

I have regular bouts of vertigo and am in the middle of one at the mo and can fully sympathise with you Aitch.....the first time it happened I had no idea what it was and felt like I was going mad.

I have drugs to help with the symptoms now but one thing I found that did sometimes help....not sure if it was just the relaxation involved, but Hopi ear candles seem to help relieve the ear discomfort and soothe the dizziness for a while. Eeven if there is no medical proof that they work, it is nice to just chill out for a bit as I find the vertigo makes me feel very stressed and difficult to cope with the simplest things

• Options
    Thanks Kwilter.

Hope you're okay Cas... I am not sure if it's an bad as full blown vertigo as the dizziness bouts are for less than 10 seconds and it's not that often and the rest of me feels fine. If it carries on I will go and see the GP (not the nurse)
  • Options
    MadameOMadameO ✭✭✭

Definitely - you should have been booked in to see the GP right away.

A friend of mine had Labyrinthitis recently... one of her mates thought it meant a fear of David Bowie in lycra.

• Options
    I told her I wanted to see the GP and she said I had to see the nurse...
  • Options
    MadameO wrote (see)

A lot of the doctors insist that the receptionists ask what the symptoms are, especially when it's for the more urgent appointments - as for the 'is it an emergency?' question, you'd be surprised how many people ring up with what sound like heart attack symptoms, then refuse to get off the bloody phone and call an ambulance.

All duly noted Madame O, and I know it must be really hard when the doctor has asked you to do it.

My beef is that receptionists in our surgery without a SCRAP of medical knowledge were actively making decisions on whether or not you were worthy of an appointment based on the information you gave them and that, as far as I'm concerned is triage and should be done only by a medical professional. I'm very happy to chat to a nurse practitioner and have her tell me that she can deal with my needs rather than a doc.

That said, I've seen some of the abuse levelled at receptionists and it's disgusting. They are not ALLOWED to take prescription requests over the phone and there are signs up everywhere, but people still call them every name under the sun anyway.

No need for that at all.....

• Options

LB, one of our receptionists tried telling me what medication I should be on after looking at one of my blood test results.

Erm, I don't think so dear, I'll let my consultant decide, after all he's had just a smidge more training than you have! image