Sub 35min 10k

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

That's the best way to be....modest and unassuming...that way you can't lose.

do you run? " a bit" cracks me up.

Reminds me of some story where a top class runner joined a club for a run....a guy there was like, "this group really crank the pace". The top runner guy said, "i think i'll be ok".

I forget the name, but he was some olympic marathoner!

• Aiming to beat my current PB of 36:35..

Haven't ran any races (bar 1) since January 2008

And only resumed training this year. logging every run on runkeeper so far.

http://runkeeper.com/user/scedgy/profile

Had major head surgery 23-6-11 and out of work for a little while but recovered stupidly quick.. ran a 5k race on 30-7-11 in 19:27...

Any thoughts, hints?
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

IR

No thoughts or hints i can only dream of those times well if i did run that quick as a woman it would be bordering on GB status lol

Sounds like a big op you had i'm guessing you are still recovering are you still under the hospital any reprcussions following your comeback race which is still mighty quick.

I'd hate to suggest anything since it hasn't been long since your op but wish you well and hope you get back there

• Thank you very much!

I know! sometimes I wish I was a female running this quick image !

Hard knowing some of my friends and super quick and I'm not anywhere near a "good" competitive male.

Oh well

will be keeping the training up and see what will happen to me!

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Its still early days - its just over a month since your op. Think you have to be patient for a while not always easy i know

I'm sure the quicker and wise guys will be along who can give you advice as well. Keep positive

• Thanks for the support though.

Have to stick at it and have massive patience. Will be good fun though!
  • Inspired : All the best.
  • Thank you very much!

Had a day rest yesterday spent it with girlfriend and family but need to get into a strict routine still with running.

Will be training twice today I think, not going to over do it and will post the run!!

ran 1-8-11 6.38KM in 26:05

• Interesting to come back to RW forum and see threads from the old days pulled out!

I stopped running completely 3 years ago, am now trying desperately to get in shape to run a semi-respectable 10K at the end of August.  Starting point was the first Sat in July.  Making some progress, but not enough! 

Before I gave up, I did a few sub-35min 10Ks, and I found that a key session was 1K reps at just quicker than target pace, I built up to doing 6 or 7, with 70-90s jog recoveries.

The 16 x 400m session is one some very good runners I knew would do.  It's more a 5K session, isn't it?

Good luck with your rehab, IR.

• Hi JFB - I wondered what had become of you.  I remember a 16 x 400m session down at Battersea Park many years ago.  Best of luck with your 10k.  I'm still banging out the same old stuff and largely the same old paceimage
  • BR!  Good to hear from you! 

If you're managing to stay at the same pace as the years roll on you're doing pretty well, in my book!

I have spent the last few years working on the beer gut - the 10K is not going to be pretty.  It's in the Eifel region in Germany, off-road and hilly.  My goal is 6mm, but it may be unrealistic on 7 weeks of 3 runs a week.

Hope to catch up some time again if you're in London.

• Thanks for the support JFB

Will be running a 5KM end of the month and will be a good measure to see if I have brought my base level up since resuming training!

Got myself a bike now so will be more active each day anyway which is bonus to start with
  • It's a while back since I looked, but I seem to remember most 'off the shelf' sub-35 plans including days with double runs...and pretty gnarly looking intervals, such as 1-mile at 5:30 pace, 60-sec recovery x 6. Does this sound like reliable recall on my behalf? I'm probably somewhere around 37 at the moment. I've been banging out (on 'mill)  6 x 1k reps - 1% incline - at 17.5kph, with 75 sec recovery for some weeks now (aside from 2-3 quality outdoor sessions with club). I never do long runs longer than 10/11m due to injury concerns. Methinks a sub-35 10k is a good season away at least...this year is just too hectic, work-wise and personal-wise.

Anyway - excuse my random, waffling interjection. I really ought to pick a 10k, get out there and find what kind of nick I really am in, instead of waffling on the Internet image

• BTW, IR, Keep up the good work! Keep us posted on the progress, please.
  • Ran 6.38KM (practically 4 mile) on long undulating road,

25:40

Ran with HRM for first time kept pulse at 171 average.

Legs heavy from gym session yesterday which was good but after first day back at work for 6 weeks.

did 3 min plank!
    3 x 15 20kg squats
    3 x 15 100KG calf raise
    2 x 20 32KG hamstring curl
    50 leg raises
    1KM run in 3:19min to turn legs over quick and get used to treadmill speed.
  • Ran two 5KM races this month so far .

18:59 and then 18:25 week later

Felt OK and wasn't running at 100% both times

Want to run with HRM as I don't feel confident knowing my own body at the moment with no real speed work behind me either it is tough- inexperience I guess.

If I can reduce my equivalent lap time (12.5) by a little under 2 second a lap on the 18:25 (5:55 M/M down to 5:50 M/M) then I will crack sub 18 and be massive boost I think.. My PB stands at 17:01

Next race is saturday 10/9/11
  • IR, without wishing to sound rude may I suggest giving yourself a shorter term more acheiveable target.

• Possibly. I think my goal will be running close to 15 mins next track season bearing in mind I had a 7 hour operation-major head surgery on 23rd June this year resulting in 6 weeks in hospital come out on 4th August...and not ran since 2008 .. haven't done to badly for 4 weeks worth of running image

I will keep progress updates going

But I like to be posistive

I also posted in 2004 I was ranked number 1 in the UK for 2KM flat as U-17 so I have some talent somewhere!

good luck to all too

• IR, I had read on a previous post about your injury and earlieracheivements which are all outstanding.  I only said a shorter term target as 18:25 is not close enough to 15 to be reasonable. Track, trail or on a motorbike!

I have set myself goals which have been acheieved within a reasonable time frame which has kept the fire inside me alight. I put a post up nearly a year ago asking for advice and guidance to break 40mins for a 10k. I nailed that and have since looked 30secs a time ahead. I'm now 38:38PB and feel in 38:00 shape.

Small steps an' all.  Take care...image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Inspired, Cop Out is spot on. After 3 years out injured, and 7years since your top performances, you have a lot of ground to make up for. You're still young tho, so softly softly catchy monkey!

Matching that low 17 for 5k will take some hefty work...let alone a 15...but best of luck.

ps...impressive sounding top ranked U17 for 2k...not the highest raced distance and age group though image

• thanks all!

I hope to get some decent races in by track season

However ..did my 2nd speed session of the year last night and felt good

very windy and raining in the new forest..

8 x 600 M with 2 minutes recovery on trail measured by team trainer on bikes using metre wheel and placing cones..

so splits were

1:49 1:50 1:49 1:51 1:50 2:05 (uphill section) 1:55 1:57.

1:50 is 4:55 mile pace image so massive boost to confidence knowing I can bash out that kinda session without doing any speed before hand..

• Good running IR.

These two 5K races are you're Eastleigh parkruns aren't they? To be fair (IMHO and I'm guessing) comparing those times with your previous PB is like taking a F1 car around a residential estate, complete with traffic calming features (and railway crossings!) and then stating that your not getting similar times as you had previously at Silverstone image. The assumption being that the PB was done on a completely different type of course to Eastleigh. 

My quick bit of internet stalking suggested that when you take people from the Eastleigh parkrun and stuck them in a quality  race (The promenade 5k to be exact, shame you didn't end up doing it image) they magically become 30-60 seconds quicker. So my basic point is that you might not be as far away from your previous best, sure there's still work to be done but it's not as unrealistic as those times suggest

Keep positive image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Chimpster, it's not valid going off other people's park run times, as you don't know what intention they've run it with. A lot of people treat park runs as a fun little tempo.

30-60seconds over 5k is a HUGE amount.

• True Stevie I don't know what all of their intentions have been, but that wasn't my main point. More that, in my opinion, it really isn't a fair indicator of what IR current 5K potential really is.

I did look at a few peoples times, because yes it was surprising that there was such a dramatic improvement. Maybe I was unlucky and none of the people I looked at ever have raced at parkruns, but equally IR said he wasn't running at 100%, so maybe he's in a similar situation, maybe.

• Only one way to find out....
  • Thanks chimpster image

In one park run race alone I reduced my season best by 34 seconds yup both ran at Eastleigh and one exactly a week later (I did race 68 and 69)

I know if I can run example (17:01PB) then I should be running close to that time I feel BUT the course is fairly undulating on trail over 2 laps.. there are 2-3 90 degree angle turns through fenced gaps over a railway bridge that slow you down only a little but defo cumulates! again I'm not justifying anything but feel I can definatley run quicker giving a flat road/track race and a little time..soon the course moves to a completely flat 3 lapped route so will be interesting to see time difference there

Promenade 5KM had to miss due to work commitments which was a shame as I was running ok that week..

Will to park run again this Saturday and hope to be improving still!

• 6/9/11
    Nothing to hard today just wanted to tick legs over a little Quicker than doing a steady/tempo run and felt a little worked from doing session day before (the 8x600 is only my 2nd speed session of the year)

4 x 1 mile of a minute (on road)

Splits

5:51
    5:44
    5:52
    5:48
  • 4.52 mile run in 31:25 on very hilly/undulating forest trail. windy too

Feeling much better within myself on these steady runs
  • 4.61 Miles in 28:03

felt good and really managed to get into a decent rhythm, getting to know my own body

really felt like I could be bringing some training together which is great

Had a real disappointing 5Km, finishing in 18:47

Always feels like I'm running slow but 1 more this Saturday (20/9/11) and then as from today new program and overload/progression coming in so will perhaps avoid the park run after this one until 6-8 weeks and let this new training sink in and see what happens.

Will be doing some XC races and aim to do at least 1 10KM and be competitive by end of the year
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Some people would argue with me, but generally Park runs aren't that fast courses.

But something's wrong, as your last few runs suggest a way faster 5k.

Any risk you're wiping yourself out running too hard in training?