Options

What I Talk About When I Talk About What I Talk About When I Talk About Running

I have been reading books for many years now. Some of them have been quite dull. The book I am reading at the moment is quite dull. It doesn’t ever really say anything. You think it is going to say something, maybe something interesting or even profound. But then it doesn’t. Reading dull books may be a lot like life, but I’m not sure. Even if I was sure I probably wouldn’t say so. That is just the way I am. You may be different, but that is the way I am. I never really say anything about anything. When I was young though I thought I wanted to read exciting books. Sometimes I did but not often, mostly I just read dull books. Now I am older I realise that I don’t want to read exciting books any more. I prefer to read dull ones. That is just the way I am.

If I hadn’t read dull books I doubt I would have ever become a runner. Except maybe I would, it’s hard to be sure. I run nearly every day. Nearly every day I go for a run but some days I don’t. I like to run every day, except some days I don’t like to run. That’s just the way I am. You may be different, but that is the way I am. Running may be a lot like life. I think that running may have taught me some important lessons about life. That is just the way it is with running. If I was sure of what those lessons were I could tell you about them.

I used to own a bar.

I bought some jazz records.

Sometimes when I am running I notice the weather. That is just the way I am, I notice the weather. Sometimes it is grey and then it might rain or even snow, but sometimes it is hot. That is just the way it is with the weather.  I think the weather might have taught me something about running, or possible about life, but I’m not sure. If I was sure I could tell you what it had taught me. It might be interesting or even profound. But I am not sure, so I can’t tell you anything really. That is just the way I am.

Comments