pain in back of knee

About 10 days ago I did a long hilly LDWA walk (26 m) in the Peak District, with a bit of downhill/flat running thrown in, as training for the Lyke Wake ultra which is now just three weeks away. By the end of the walk my left knee was sore at the back. No lumps or bumps. I didn't feel anything sudden, it just crept up on me. I rested it for most of the week, did one short run on Thurs, and thought it was fine on Friday.

So on Sat did another 21 miles walk/run walk up hills, jog flats and downs. Problem reappeared after about 11 miles but by then I still had to cover the 10 miles back to the car so I kept going...jogging was actually less painful than walking.  Yesterday I could barely walk, back of knee very stiff and sore. A bit better today but still wouldn't want to walk very far.

Have been icing and ibuprofening but scared to stretch in case I make it worse...

Bit of surfing suggests it could be hamstring or popliteus (?) muscle  strain...anyone had anything like this, what did you do and, most important, how long did it take to get better? Thanks for any info or advice...

Comments

• I've had a similar problem in the back of my knee, and also pain on the inside of the knee which I think is pes anserine bursitis.  I don't know whether the two are linked, but I suspect both are due to weak/inflexible hamstrings.  I went to see a sports massage therapist and he agreed and gave me some hamstring stretches and strengthening exercises.  He also noted that my quads are very big (due to a lot of cycling) so there might be a muscle inbalance.  Long distance running/walking doesn't really work the hamstrings that much so they can get quite weak and tight.  Not really a diagnosis but just my experience/opinion which hopefully might help you.  Good luck.
  • bol saucebol sauce ✭✭✭
    Sluggie - not your definite answer I know, but I do suffer from this occasionally  behind my right knee. the feeling is such that I expect to look at back of knee and see a great big black bruising or swelling of vein, but nothing. Strangely enough, saw your post yesterday and just had problem first time today for ages, which I think was brought on with lack of exercise for last 4 days and sitting at desk all day. All I ever do with this is stretch and work the muscles as said above, and it does relieve it. I tend to just get carried away with running only sometimes, and forget about working muscles. Sat here now with my leg stretched out, flexing toes towards me, and pain easing off. Probably not what you want to hear but that's my experience. 
  • Sluggie,

You're doing the right treatment. Ice then ice some more, every 2-3 hours, direct ice, not namby pamby ice pack. Ice cube on the back of your knee - move it in small circles for 5-10 mins. When your numb, you're done.

Could be bursitis (popliteal) or muscle strain to the hams or calf (one calf muscle crosses the knee). If it hurts on a stretch it's more likely to be muscular.

• Thanks so much guys! Lots of ice cubes later....Have now seen physio  - she confirms there's a hamstring strain but she also found sore spots on collateral ligament on inside of knee; she thinks I probably twisted it without noticing at some point. Ultrasounded and massaged (sore!). Anyway, more rest, more ice, and allowed to bike but not run until it stops hurting. Ultra planned for two weeks away is looking more than a bit doubtful, but there you go...could be a lot worse!