Three2go Lea Valley Trail Marathon

Comments

• Kaz - I only want to do a nice slow easy run as my legs are tired. Mind you not too slow or there will be no time for a drink in the bar image
  • Kaz - I forgot to tell you that Andre has learnt to ride his bike, now it is your turn image
  • Drink in the bar?  Now we're talking!!!! 
  • Tracey G thank you for the reassurance that there will be some other runners at the back. I will most likely use the bus service on the day.

helly d - South Downs was my first of three (slow) trail marathons. Like you I am curious about doing an ultra. Doyen of the Downs on 6.12.09 may be an option - it sounds like an even tougher, colder 30 mile version of South Downs.

Do we get race packs in the post or everything on the day ?

• Manfromindia - you get your chip and number at registration on the day. Take a photo copy of your passport or driving licence as we had to have ID last year. I still have my photo copy from last year.

• Thanks for the ID advice Tracey - it wouldn't occur to me to bring ID. I didn't see any mention of that but I probably didn't read all the small print.

Manfromindia - I did DOTD last year though have done next to nothing since. DOTD is tough and we had good weather last year!  You are also more on your own as there is a smaller turnout and various bits of the course are inaccessible to either marshalls or support (Amberley Marshes, I'm looking at you). It is however stunningly scenic in bits.

I'm determind to wriggle out of work for this one as it's too convenient to miss. I can just get a bus home from Hackney.image

• Helly D,

Please come and have a chat about ultras, and anyone else for that matter. Just back from my first 6 day race.

See you all Saturday.

• Did this two years ago. For me this is my local - hence apologies for being Mr know-it-all - but the last 6 miles are on my Sunday route.

It's all nice and scenic (apart from the bit that goes under the North Circular) and not normally particulary busy with pedestrains on a Saturday. 

For those in London (north/east) I say taking the train to the start is far quicker.  From Tottenhame Hale, the 08:55 gets in at 09:20. This means I get an extra hour in bed compared to getting the bus (or if you miss the bus, don't panic you can still get to the start from Hackney Wick).

f.y.i. for the Olympic site - the finish is at the north end of the site. You won't quite see the stadium from there....it's down by Bow Lock (just behind the house where they filmed the Big Breakfast all those years ago) you'd need to jog on an extra mile or so to get a view of that.

Anyway, Good luck all 

• 'Nice and scenic' Loads of pylons!

Hope there are no ducks as I have just done 414 laps of a park in Sweden and I NEVER want to see another duck!

See you all on Saturday, don't forget to come and say hello, I will be in my red and yellow Serpentine kit.

• Pam - just don't go to the Broads then, there are thousands of ducks.
  • Parking at Hackney will be OK won't it? From the map, the finish looks like it's close to the carpark for the changing rooms for the football pitches.
  • Tossed and Blown,

Yes it is close to the football pitches car park but the organisers don't want runners cars parked there.

Last year we got there early enough to park on the road outside.

Docklands Light Railway have engineering works this weekend so anyone thinking of using this route check it out.

It has messed me up as I am staying at East India Dock and no DLR to get me to Stratford. Will have to walk to Canning Town then get DLR.

Good night all

• Haven't seen anything about not being able to park in the car park this year.  They said we couldn't last year so T and I had to trawl around till we found a side street that a micro space I could shoehorn the car into and then we discovered that people were using the car park.
  • Kaz  - that was a tight parking space last year. I looked on their information and all I could see about parking was no parking at start.
  • Having looked at the site again, supporter info gives Homerton Rd as a parking option for the finish. This is the road that you turn off to get to the Marshes.
    I live in N London, and would get a couple of buses to get there, but I don't fancy travelling back in a sweaty mess on public transport!
  •  I'm so glad you posted mark.j, I've managed to get all confused and thought this was on Sunday! Now trying to get out of work tomorrow. Your tip about the trains may also come in useful.

I'll see you all tomorrow if I make it. 

• I thought it was a superbly organised and marshalled race. Maybe the small field helped, but I thought that was excellent. Thanks to the organisers.
    Scenery was a bit dull though and I found the change in terrain a bit more of an incumbrance than I was expecting. I was a bit disappointed with my time, I was hoping for 3.45 and I was on course until 22 miles when I ran out of steam. Home in 3.55 and a bit, but my Garmin told me I'd done 26.6 miles. Hope everyone else had a good day, and the guys receiving treatment were quickly OK.
  • Soooooooooooooooooo enjoyed that, heat and being even slower than a slow thing apart. After the niggles of the last couple of years it was great to see they got it mostly right. Found the fiddly bits at the end a bit frustrating but rather that than it being short again.

*for the Fetchies - forgive me for being lazy but being marginally pooped I can't be faffed to write something different!*

• So good to finish this race this year. It was lovely to run with you Kaz for a few miles.

The marshalls were fab.

• So how many of us are doing it next year?
  • Sadly I bailed out at 25KM having got a bit confused around halfway. Silly me. Struggling in the heat and mentally and physically knackered. Also hungry and in need of sports drink when they had run out.

Didn't realise how much that 6 day race took out of me.

Still, enjoyed  chilling out at the end and a chat with chums and will be back next year (bettered prepared).

Well done to all who finished.

• Pam - sorry that you DNF. I was waiting for you to catch me up and over take me. I would have loved your company and you could have had some of my energy drink in my camelbak. Your legs were over training and mine under trained. What didn't help was going for a fast run with hubby on Wednesday.

• Im there next year even tho i had a mare this year(too hot)

the course was certainly NOT short this time

• Hippo - todays weather would be nicer. See you all next year then. Just have to buy mother-in-law a bottle of Malibu or Baileys. A lot of us suffered yesterday, we cannot blame the weather on them thou. I did say you would top up your tan.

Next race Jog Shop Jog 20. Hoping for cooler weather or I will not make the cut off.

• Taking it easy today, been to church this morning and shared my 6 day experience with them regarding my healing of thigh injury that had worried me before I flew out.

No Marathons now for me until end of October, round the deck of a ferry boat in Denmark!

See you all on the circuit sometime

• Pam - I will see you in Brighton next April, and maybe VLM if I get in image Take care x
  • Enjoyed the run yesterday but it was too hot for me.Drunkloads of water,which fortunately was plentiful.  Marshalls were great. Unfortunately a few of us mis-read a directional arrow at Stoneleigh Lock ? and I ended up with 27.87 on my Garmin. Theory was that someone had turned the arrow around. I have to admit being completely drained by the time I finished in just over 5 hours.