Virgin London Marathon 2010: New Route?

Comments

• miss slowmiss slow ✭✭✭

I agree to miss out the docklands area & add more of the touristy parts, BUT it must be flat flat flat to encourage world elite participation.  I love the fancy dress runners, it all adds to the atmosphere.

• if you are going to alter it loose the docklands,but why change something that works well enoughimagetaking in the sites is one thing but then you could get more bottle necks
  • How the hell if the route remains in Greenwich and get to the other side of London to completely avoid Docklands. Its unavoidable. Its suppose to be a running event, not one for spectators and tourists.
  • with you all the way runnerman ,like i say leave well alone if you want to see the sites have a look after the race,like you say we are there to run not site seeingimage
  • It's time for change.

I ran the London Marathon for the first time last year was very dissapointed. Well I tried to run but could not get going because the roads are too narrow for the number of people. I could not get to my marathon pace which is by no means fast until after half way which meant I was way behind on the time I had hoped to do. I had to walk around Cutty Sark because of a bottle neck so I don't know why the route goes there when it is covered and you cant even see it.

I suggest starting in West London at say Hounslow and using the A4 which is a 3 lane dual carriage all the way into central London. The route could go through Kew over Kew Bridge taking the South circular and then cutting back over Chiswick Bridge and back to the A4 towards Knightsbridge, Hyde Park corner, up to Oxford Street, down Regent Street to Piccadilly turn right towards the Ritz then cut down to Trafalger Sq. then onto Embankment where you go to London Bridge and cross and then back over Tower Bridge and along the other side of Enbankment to the finish in the Mall.

Ok, so businesses and shoppers on this route would not like it but us marathoners who like to run with minimal disruption caused by congestion would love it.

A marathon is about everyone testing themselves to the limit but sadly at London there is not enough room to do that so you finish glad that you have done so but not in the time you had wished for.

The only reason for my frustration is that I ran New York 5 months before London and the roads are much wider so there is a lot more space to run your normal race without having to keep slowing down to avoid people in front of you.

• I'd like to see the notorious section around the Cutty Sark removed or at least see some effort to make it less of a bottle-neck. 

Echoing an earlier comment, I'd prefer to see the major sights a little further from the end, maybe looping back for a central finish.  In my first two 'Londons', I can only really remember the first half to Tower Bridge - everything else is just a blur!  I don't recall seeing the London Eye, Big Ben or Buck. Palace due to exhaustion!

Also, having run the Edinburgh marathon twice, finishing in front of a racecourse grandstand full to capacity with highly vocal support from family and friends, I have to say that despite the fantastic support 'en route', the actual finish on The Mall is a major anti-climax for me.   Here we seem to have covered stands full of dignitaries and hospitality guests with polite applause for the finishers.  Don't get me wrong, in this particular money-raising event, I don't begrudge the charity representatives, sponsors and VIP's this special treatment.  However, surely this mass participation event would benefit from a mass spectator finish either at a stadium or in front of custom-built temporary grandstands along a lengthy finishing straight.

From a commercial aspect, I know all my family and friends would pay for a seat there - after all, the weekend costs us hundreds anyway and an extra tenner or so to see me cross the finish line would be money very well spent.   Why not go further and have banked grandstand seating at suitable locations along the route, both to raise extra capital and to provide much-needed boosts to runners? 

• I ran London last year and Paris this year. Whilst I thought that Paris was a better route for sights it was not a patch on London for support.

The London marathon supporters/spectators are amazing. Right from the start line to the finish I remember a continuous large, friendly, and vocal crowd who gave me a massive lift. Contrast that with Paris where the crowd was pretty scant and quiet at times (especially noticeable in the last 10km - and this is where you need lifting).

From a runners perspective I think that what matters more is the level of support you get on the route. I don't remember being particularly keen to 'see the sights' as I was running. (I can do the tourist thing the day before or after if I want).

If they change the route I would hope they take into account how accessible it will be to spectators and whether they will generate the same level of support for the runners as now.

• I think that a change of route would be a good thing.I've run it 12 times & find parts of the course dull (especially the Docklands).Ran Paris this year & found the course far better than London.As well as taking in the sights  there's a nice run through a park that breaks the monotony of 26 miles of buildings.What about a section through one of the major parks such as Regents park.Hyde park or even Battersea Park?
  • Someone else said (above) - "If they do change the route then they have to consider the practicality of the route - keep it flat, not too many sharp corners please, plenty of width on the road especially at the start, and room enough for supporters to stand alongside the route, plus space for bands to keep us all going...."

I heartily agree with this.  I know ita a great fundraiser, but it is a Marathon when all is said and done.  I haven'y run London yet, but ran Paris last year, and you certainly get to see all the sights there, which was great.  Followed it with Berlin, for a faster time as its nice and flat, but you don't see so many interesting things an the way round, I thought.

In the end, no doubt Mr B will make up his own mind.  It'll be worth it to see the elites wrapped in towels emblazoned "Virgin" in big bold letters!

• I think Mr B has already asked for views and we are supplying them.  At least he has asked?!  I think we need something that cuts out the rubbish bits docklands and may be even Greenwich and is more centrally London based.  Its the end of FLM and a new VLM time for change

Interesting Smeagol re route. 

I think the Royal Parks encompassed some sites in London that made you think wow when you were running (the multiple loops in the park were boring though) the London Marathon ought to go one step further and make you think this is really the best.  I always thought that the London Marathon was the iconic race and when I ran it the crowd support was amazing but I was slightly disappointed as to route. 

• Change is inevitable I suppose.  Lets just wait and see. The crowds will still be there and it will still be great.

• Welsh AlexWelsh Alex ✭✭✭
    "West London at say Hounslow and using the A4 which is a 3 lane dual carriage all the way into central London"

Why not just start on the M4 at Windsor and run in to Leicester Square ?

When they cut out the cobbles I was sorry to see them go but it did improve my time. Peoples views of docklands may well be tainted by how knackered they are at that point. One of the things I like about the route is the sense of 'journey'. If we were in the tourist hotspots from the word go it would be a bit of an anticlimax.

And like someone else said, if I want to see the sights I'll catch an open top bus.

If you go in the center of the city you may well have less room for spectators and loads of annoyed shoppers which might make for a worse atmosphere.
  • Welsh Alex - I dont think docklands is how knackered you are really just when is something of interest going to appear.   We all view that square of tarmac when we run but when we do manage to focus on whats going by if its something that makes you go wow its a plus.  As Nutty R says the crowd will still be there - that was the magic thing at FLM not the route.

• No one can change the London Marathon. The course has been around for donkey years bar small alterations here and there. The organisers will not dramatically change the start, finish and the majority of the route. A change of the course will require acceptance from the councils that are involved and emergency services. They will not move the course because in fairness the course works for itself. Any marathon you run you going to get good bits and crap bits. Therefore I cannot see the London course being changed. If you want to run in London and have nice views. May I suggest the British London 10k. Great course, great views, rubbish organisation and a rip off.
  • LEAVE IT LEAVE IT LEAVE IT!!!

IT is great as it is, great course for runners, so well recognised world wide (for the sleek organisation and the fast course), it is easy for the especators to get to places to watch... 

As somebody said, it is about people, and the energy that you get from tha amazing crowd is the only thing you can see when you are running!!!! 

• I just tried mapping a route starting at richmond park and taking in canary wharf at the furthest point east, then back again and actually I now realise its hard to beat the route we have got.

Key points for me.

1. I love the start and the community spirit in the greenwich, blackheath, charlton area. This is one of my favourite aspects of the race. (These are locals who come out of their houses, party, support etc).

2. The section taking in Cutty Sark would be fine if (a) it was visible and (b) there wasn't the narrow point. So: It will be restored again eventually and this bit will again be good. In the interim, stop spectators at that brief narrow stretch so that runners can use the pavements there too. this will widen it enough to avoid any need to stop and walk.

3. Isle of dogs may be a little boring but it is a useful part of the course for (a) access to canary wharf where the atmosphere is fantastic, (b) provides a less crowded point for you to get your own supporters to head for.

4. The only piece I'm not partcular keen on is the running on both sides of the road between tower bridge and docklands which can be demotivating. Could there be a possibility of avoiding some or al of that?

5. From tower bridge to the finish approx 6 miles is fantastic from both view and support points of view.

My biggest gripe is crossing birdcage walk after the race. surely temporary bridges should be possible on the day?

Point 4 is a minor tweak if possible at all and I'd be happy to keep it as it is. My favourite race which I've now done 3 times. BUT it is an event and in my view PBs are rare and difficult but that is due to sheer volume of runners.

• Two thoughts, for what it's worth:

1) Why not ask RB/Virgin to lower guaranteed places to three successive attempts rather than 5?  That way, if you're not a club runner and don't have access to £2K bonded places, there's more of a chance of getting round the course at least to see if it's any good or not? Many people like myself would warmly welcome this "giving-back" to runners the spirit of a Marathon.  Don't get me wrong here, I don't mind it being also filled with charity runners.  I would just like the spirit of the event to be re-addressed.  I personally am sick of hearing "I'm doing it in memory of..." or "I'm doing this for..." when watching these events (controversial thought thereimage).

OR

How about the bonded place entries are lowered to a "reasonable" level, so that, if you're desperate to run it, you don't need to get an 85% mortgage to guarantee you run it?

2) I was surprised at how many people have voiced the "never agains" for London.  I am taking a guess that it is due to numbers plus slightly diasappointment of overall experience?

I'd love to get in on the ballot, and maybe, just maybe as a bit of middle ground, they could keep the bonded charity places, but relinquish enough of these places in order to take effect of my first point?  That for me would be a great starting point, and as for the route, having been rejected x3 consecutively, I cannot comment on current route, but would love to come back next year and at least be able to give an informed response!!!!!

• Ditto most of Divine Wind's comments, sadly!  

• As long as the finish is kept thats the mean event running up the mall and when you see the site of Buckingham Palace the pain seems to subside slightly to get you round the corner to the finish line.
  • I note the comments about the part of the course where the runners are heading in different directions on either side of the road.  I agree, when you are halfway and see others at 22 miles it can be demoralising, but it does mean I get to see some of the faster runners.  When i am at 22 miles and see the poor runners at halfway it gives me a lift (so maybe I am sick) to realise I have nearly done with docklands and mentally am looking at the home stretch; it also means I get to see some of the 'fun ' runners and fancy dress etc.

I do have to agree with some though that many times I have run it I tend just to see the small patch of ground in front of me in an attempt not to trip over someone or be tripped up.  Having said that; mentally I break the course down into stretches between land marks as a way of getting me around rather than having the whole 26 miles staring me in the face. 

• Welsh AlexWelsh Alex ✭✭✭

I really like seeing the other runners, it is great. Going in to docklands I get to see the elites sometimes too which is fab. It is nice to try to spot people you know and give them a shout. Good for spectators too as from on position they see people twice.
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

LOL at michelvi suggesting we run through the blackwall tunnel...

and imageat suggestion that the we start in hounslow and run along the a4..... not sure that would keep anyone happy (least of all sir rich in hs quest for 'glamour'??!!)

while the royal parks did pass some great landmarks, the route is much narrower and more twisty than the LM and thhatwill be the problem with trying to take us on a roiute that is more scenic - it will be even more congested than it already is.....

• This was my first year at london and to be honest I think the route was fine.

As for landmarks, great for spectators but when you're in the red for much of the second half of the race all you want is the finish line; you're not much bothered where you are - London or Dudley canal!

• ....the amount of people (men and women) peeing in the underpass before Embankment you could be in a canal!
  • David L - compared to the tunnels in Paris M they were spanking clean I can tell you - it was jump the puddle timeimage
  • apart from the last 3 miles, the best support on the course is on the isle of dogs and poplar. this is the traditional route and to be honest, some of south london is a dive!!

this may be biased as I live on mile 20, but if 'it ain't borke, don't fix it.'  I woulddnt even go up to the olympic stadium as getting up through canning town and stratford would follow some horrible routes through some terrible areas.

the route is the London marathon and should not be chnaged

• i think the course is ok,  If they change it, it should be to improve it, not just for the sake of it. RB appears to be a decent bloke and its in his intrest to make it better.

im not keen on the isle of dogs, its not the place thats the problem, it just happens to be in the 15 - 19 mile zone, the time when im probably feeling my worse. If it was at the start i would probably like the place.

Whatever happens, it'll probably be abouy 5 years till i get in again

• the point is flawed, as you would probably feel the same about any place during that period going on your logic
  • That what i mean, If it was at the start id probably like it.

It was better this year as the crowd was much bigger than when i last ran in 2000

• sorry stella belly, have had a very bad day at work!