Virgin London Marathon 2010: New Route?

Comments

• dont mention work, iv'e had 2 weeks off  i start back on saturday image 
  • Keep the finish on the Mall whatever you do but would be good to go passed St.Pauls and less weaving through isle of Dogs - Canary Wharf, for me was one of the best bits apart from the narrow bits that got congested...like the idea of using Green Park/Hyde Park but most of all can you make it cool...image

• Slightly suspicious that all this is just a bit of grandstanding by St. - sorry I mean Sir Richard Branson. The route has been agreed by local authorities, the Met and City Police and I would think that any significant changes would have to be renogatiated and there would be plenty of objections from any residents/businesses who found that they were affected by the new route.  The Isle of Dogs and City  are normally very quiet on Sundays apart from the local pubs who clearly profit from the marathon, so there is relatively little disruption,but  if  the marathon was brought into central London then there would be much more upheaval. 
  • I ran it this year, and I loved the whole thing. I think the section round the Isle of Dogs & Canary Wharf could be cut somewhat, and if the miles there could be replaced by miles in a nice park, that would be great. Definitely no change to the start or finish. Also, I think it would be a shame to miss out a lot of the East End due to the great support - if it went through a lot of the city for the sake of seeing the buildings, you'd not likely get all the bands, people dressing up etc etc. Overall its a great course, but a couple of tiny tweaks could make it even better.

Oh, one final point. I think the FLM (okay VLM now!) is more well known for the charity side of it,but I do agree that it should be flat and fast for those that can run fast or are chasing quick PBs. I'm slow (picture a tortoise with a broken foot) but the course is renowned for getting PBs so that should not be jeopardised at all.
  • ask Gordon Ramsey....

and tell Richard Branson to try running it himself or even cycling it so he can see the weak spots

love the support in the East End , agree hate the double back bit when you see the others after Tower Bridge : - (     and yes please include some more Central London Parks if possible

• The brokerThe broker ✭✭✭
    I'm with Lea the Pea, leave most of it alone but cut out some of the boring and less supported parts of the Isle of Dogs
  • isle of dogs less supported area??? its busy all the way round!
  • Lea the Pea, It's not a PB course unless you start near the front because the roads are not wide enough for the amount of people so you have to go very slow for the first half.
  • The brokerThe broker ✭✭✭
    Blinsters-I've done it the last 3 years and there are parts where it's not so well supported
  • Smeagol - spot on - exactly the same happened with me I overestimated my time  when my entry went in for FLM never having done a marathon at that stage and ended up with loads of really slow runners in front of me - tried to overtake as many as I could but no space to do so too many runners too many pedestrians - really not a PB course unless you are further up the course.  I did better in Paris where I slightly overegged the timet i thought I could do.

Blinsters - there are quieter areas... but generally the crowd is absolutely wow the best I have come across in my limited experienceimage.

Eileen - I think Richard B will trace the route himself if he hasnt done so himself hes that sort of chap. 

• If you want to start nearer the front then take half an hour off your expected finishing time on your entry then you should avoid most of the runners that are slower than you.
  • Having just had my bank statement and noticed its around £200 queens head notes folding lighter as the New York entry fee has just come off Mr B can do what he wants with the marathon if his fat wad of cash means the entry fees are still circa £30 !

As for the route it has changed and evolved over the years vastly diffrent from my first go in the mid 80's, so whats the problem with a couple of more tweeks ? If they evolve out Surray Quays (keep the superb pipe band though) and the hideous winding round Canary Wharf then it gets my vote.image

• Enjoyed the Surrey Quays experience although it did get a bit narrow along Jamaica Road with all the spectators.
    As for Canary Wharf it was really winding. On a plus side it did offer some welcome shade.
    Hopefully see you all there for the first VLM?

Will
  • The current route is fantastic but perhaps the organisers could allow runners enough space to be able to sprint away from any attempt by Sir Richard to hog publicity on the day.
  • David,

I agree totally with you, the current route is great and IS London Marathon. The trouble is though that next year we have 2 "super celebs" taking part.

1 Saint Branson, who obviosly thinks that changing the route to a "tour of London" will endear him to the powers that be, and

2 David Bechams other half, and all her entourage, who will look better stopping for a photo shoot at Horsegaurds etc, than on the Isle of Dogs, ( mind you I doubt if she will complete the 385 yards let alone the 26 miles.

So, in my opinion, I would leave well alone, but lets get ready for a big change, albeit a bad one!!!

• She'll (V Beckham) never complete!  I'm going to William Hill tonight!!!!!!!
  • She (V Beckham) my well walk the 385yards then call a Cab so able to complete the rest?? image

What's the odds on her finishing?
  • I've done the last two London Marathons and, of course, your first experience is always special.  I didn't think this year would be as good but it was.  Marathons are in reality, a little too far for me, I am better at distances up to half but London was very special.  The things that made it special for me was the setting, the atmosphere and the camarderie. 

I think whatever happens in the future, it is important to keep London as the special event that it is for everyone.  That includes elite runners, fun runners and never again runners.  It includes spectators and armchair supporters.

It is important to keep landmarks in there.  If you don't want to look at them/are too focussed to look at them/too knackered to look at them then don't look at them.  For those who want to look at them, they still can.  It is very inspirational to many to run past suck famous sights, I share that philosphy.

Personally I like the current route.  The first part encompasses real community spirit through Greenwich, Woolwich and Charlton.  Cutty Sark brings out the first "tourists" so to speak but the industrial area around 8 or 9 miles is dull.  Tower Bridge is an awesome focal point with the greatest atmosphere as you turn left after the Tower of London.  As mentioned, the Isle of Dogs is pretty non-descript but still quite well atteneded.  Canary Wharf is immense and the final six miles is just wall to wall noise.

I agree with the earlier comment that Bird Cage Walk is sadly limited to "corporate" seats.  In 2008, my wife and sister were lucky enough to sit there thanks to my charity YMCA, but this year the same area was sparesly populated considering it was the ending of one of the world's biggest marathon events.  Maybe a nominal charge could be applied for spectators wishing to sit here to watch people crossing the line.  When people leave, newcomers could pay a couple of quid to refill the seats.

Back to the route, in a city like London, you are always going to have the ugly with the beauty so some parts are inevitable.  I would maintain a similar route but maybe cut some of the Docklands/Isle Of Dogs in favour of a little more of central London.  Maybe a trip around St Pauls of Trafalgar Square could be a thought.

It is great to see that Richard Branson is gathering ideas from people instead of just changing it against everyone's will.  Here's to a great sponsorship and a great first VLM.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    A splendid assessment Cobblers, but just to point out that the finish line is in the Mall, not Bird Cage Walk. Or have I misunderstood your post?
  • Here-here Cobblers - well put.
  • Tracey033Tracey033 ✭✭✭
    when will we know - as many of us who know we have a place are already looking at booking hotels etc. The main reason for doing this early is to find one near the start of the route early to get a better price - if he changes the route that kind of defeats the point??
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

valid tracey.... might be safer to book near the finish? can't see how they can move that from central london? or from the mall really?

you find out for sure in october some time.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Book a place near the finish - believe me you are much more mobile before the race than after it!
  • I cant honestly see that they can move either the start or the finish for next year.

Look at how much space the start takes up. Where could you relocate that space to ?

The finish is the best bit - its what makes it London.

They may tinker with a little bit of the route, but I'd bet on the start finish remaining untouched. If you change it - you are asking for teething problems - and Virgin wont want that.
  • "A splendid assessment Cobblers, but just to point out that the finish line is in the Mall, not Bird Cage Walk. Or have I misunderstood your post?"

Oh yeah, I must have been too tired and elated to realise where I was finishing haha.  You're right, it is the Mall.

As for where to stay, I am lucky to have a sister who lives in Woolwich so that is ideal for the start.  I personally prefer to be nearer the start because I worry about being late (like I was last year).  The public transport is so good on the day that sharing a carrige with fellow runners is a great buzz on your way back from the finish too.

• Is there any news on when a decision will be made?

I really hope they don't change the route. I have run this once in the past and at the risk of sounding a little selfish, I was hoping to be able to benchmark against that time in 2010 to see how far I've come.

This has wider implications too - what about things like course records. All gone.

The last change to the course was omiting the cobbles which was an improvement and made the course one of the fastest in the world. Why change it again - if it ain't broke why fix it.

...but I guess this is symptomatic of this event - it is becoming more and more about the people that watch it/sponsor it and less about the people who actually compete in it each year.

• It's a serious run for the elites and and a fun run for the fun runners but nothing for the rest of us who are looking to get a PB!
  • FINgers - a less busy marathon will give you a better PB.  Not a great benchmark - think its probably got worse from year to year as its got more iconic.  Not convinced its the fastest in the world Berlin, Amsterdam must be much flatter and quicker - less congestion.   Sponsorship is important but hey these things raise millions for absolutely great charities personally I was pleased to be a part of it this year.  Most people dont think of giving £20 plus to a charity but when you are sweating your guts out they do.  You can overdo it - personally I think I cant ask for much more from people this year - leads to mass groans...

The spectatorship is important too - the atmosphere at FLM this year was amazing something I will never forget.  The crowds are something special - I did Paris 3 wks before and the crowds didnt touch the sides not nearly as great - not that total roar of encouragement. imageimage

Smeagol - not convinced on all the elites. Some definitely were serious but there seemed to be a whole load of them who were walking when they merged with us charity people.. not sure what was going on there..