Do other people get ignored by fellow runners or is it just me?

Comments

• i very rarely see other runners (and when i do i'm always plodding slowly up a hill!) but most people around here (dorset) are friendly and will say hello or wave

even the dogs are friendly!

and i always try to thank drivers who move over for me image lorry drivers (and farmers in their tractors) are the BEST around here - they give me loads of room or stop/slow down if there's something coming the other way AND they always wave back when i thank them image

• Sometimes I'll get a smile from others or a hello or morning while others will completely blank me. I find that allot of people can be rude though.image

<a href="http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/localiser/member.asp?sp=&v=6&MemNo=240862" title="Visit cathyw member profile"></a>

• ChynahChynah ✭✭✭
    Get lots of hellos etc from runners, cyclists, walkers etc round here (SW  Surrey) when I'm out plodding  even when I've been walking in the lanes with my baby in a buggy cyclists etc  have said hello (obviously v sociable place to live!!)
  • Basil Brush Mk II wrote (see
    )

I had a really bizzare run last night. I rarely see laydee runners, and if I do, I've not yet had an acknowledgement from any of them.

Last night I passed three laydees and one gent, with big smiles and nods from all of them.

Just plain odd for round here, I tell you!

Did you remember to put your shorts on?
  • Mr. K. wrote (see)
    Lady Wot Jogs wrote (see)
    I live in Farnborough - Hampshire.  I always acknowledge runners and walkers when i'm out and have always had acknowledgement back.   Most of them step aside to make way for me so i always thank them.

......because its such a nice place to live image

I wave, I think its fun to see if I get a reaction back or not.....in a non voilent / physcial way of course.

Sometimes when i'm out i see the odd weirdo waving so i tend to turn round and run in the opposite direction. image image
  • In Leeds its about 90% acknowledgement from runners/cyclists/walkers.  I'm guessing the other 10% are southerners who've moved up here...

I've ran in the home counties a few times and I'd guess at 30% there but the two worst places were Brighton & Bournemouth where even fellow runners conspicuously looked the other way as we approached each other.  In Bournemouth I ran  along the front and back for best part of an hour and said hello or smiled at every person I passed - best I got was a couple of frightened smiles apart from one cheery old lady (who seemed to be a Brummie on holiday so probably shouldn't count).

• I find elderly male dog-walkers (there are quite a few among my usual route) to be the friendliest. Usually a smile and a friendly word. Well, I assume they are friendly words. I usually have my music on so it's hard to tell. Possibly they are saying, "Get back home and clean the oven, stupid woman".

It's about 50/50 acknowledgement/ignoring as far as other runners are concerned.

• Rob - I'm from Bmth and suprised at that, usually hello's etc when I have run back at home,must just have been unlucky!!

Brighton? well there you go....they were probably miserable about having to look at their beach (sorry...area of rubble between the prom and the sea)image

Sorry....comes with the territory!!!

• slo shoslo sho ✭✭✭
    As a Scot living in Kent, I insist on saying hello to all walkers, runners and cyclists (and I start up random conversations in queues).  I do it mainly cos I'm a friendly soul and I don't care that about 40% of people blank me, but I admit that part of me enjoys terrifying the locals with my unexpected sociability.
  • I always acknowlege runners and cyclists when I'm out.

It doesn't take much, does it !

Lets face it it's just good manners.

• Folk always say Hi to me, but then I'm very handsome and incredibly charismatic.

• I'm from middlesbrough and it seems strange when somebody doesn't acknowledge me, be it a runner, dog walker or cyclist. Even the local chavs generally move over and give a nod or an "alright".  I find as long as you make eye contact just about everyone seems to be friendly.
  • i`m in Essex, in the upper class area of a village don`t you know.. we all say hello to each other ,its all rather jolly down here.. Of course its good to give farquah a good tounge lashing behind his back over  pink gins and canapes , at hillary`s croquet seesions...

erm , back to reality.., I find  that 99% of runners I pass, round here, acknowledges each other. Its the cyclists that ignore me, I would say only 1 % say hello ... in fact when im on my bike , and i say hi, the percentage only marginally rises... what is it with Essex cyclists? Is there some deep  phycological trauma  concerning the lycra ?...

• I've been cycling a bit lately, and most cyclists give a nod. Although I find when I'm on my bike riding by the river, some of the students from the riverside college look at me as though I've spat at their grandmother, just because i want to get past,  yes...I'm on the bike path, and I say excuse me very politely then I say thank you. Don't know what it is, everyone else seems friendly.
  • Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

OOh, I'm never rude. Though some people think that failure to aknowledge them is rude.

I never great others voluntarily. Be they walkers; cyclists; runners. I just don't think to. If someone holds a gate open for me I'll thank them, but I'd rather they wouldn't - now I don't get my breather. If I greated everyone I saw on my long run over the downs I'd never get any running done. there's nearly always a school party; a group of ramblers; many dog walkers; a few other runners; many cyclists. bit like trying to run through cetral London during rush hour.

I find it hard to make eye contact with the big people, they all seem to have nice knees though.

•    All I can say to you all. If one Runner not a club member ignore you.My advice ignore them back  althrough if its a club member there will say hello.Live too Short for them to bikker?

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_30_102.gif The Runnershttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_30_124.gif

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb113&pp=ZRman000

• I live in Norf London. I say hello to all and sundry. I was running with friends once and I was at the front. I said hello to the oncoming group who all greeted me back.  My friends were impressed that I knew so many people........ I mentioned that it was running courtesy to acknowledge!  In fact, I nod, smile or greet whether the other person is running or not.   99% of the time I get a positive response.
  •   Mellow Plodder

Thats life? Yu Win or you loose some. People are rude. Life to Short.I have similer at work.You say hello. People stand there like a zombiehttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_29_112.gif

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb112&pp=ZRman000

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

I'm from Norf Lahdan and I have noted two kinds of folks you tend to encounter when out running

The first kind are 'runners.' They come in all shapes and sizes, but are generally 'eyes front, tunnel vision, my body is my temple / temple of doom but either way I havent seen you and you havent seen me OK?'

The other kind dont look like 'runners' (unless you could evading arrest) and have you wondering if making eye contact is going to get you knifed.

• always say hello and never had a bad experience  with runners but cyclists not so good some good most just look as though have ridden over something nastyimage

• Priest

Some cyclists say Hello maybe and some strangers running aswell.Very Very Rude.LIFE TOO SHORT

• 2 hellos out of 2 this am in sunny Sheff!
  • running round east london everyone seems to say hello, theres one guy who salutes me. sometimes duck into the pubs to get a glass of water when im out too i just think it's a friendly place. that opinion doesn't seem to be shared by all though. have run on the embankment sometimes but tend not to just incase i was to bump into gordan ramsey what a knob. Besides on the embankment its the old, all the gear no idea mob usually with there ipods grr. Those paving stones by the river are too hard on the joints and at the time i'm there it's too busy to run in the road.
  • I find it really funny that nobody who lives in London ever actually wants to admit exactly where they live.image 

You all say "I live in Norf / East / West / Sarf  London" as if the rest of us have never heard of any of the boroughs, or you're scared we might come round for tea or ask for a lift home!image

I say "I live in Warrington" not "I live in the North West of England" and not one person has stalked me...... yet!

Why do Londoners do that?image

• LB - fink its cos if you say to someone.........  

"im from Islington..."

alot of times you get in response

"Oh wheres that then?"

and you end up saying

"North London..... "

• Walthamstow for me. i think its because your either north or south of the river. the east west is just an extension of that. I  know a lot of londoners who never cross the river and are almost militant in the support for thier side, i only go south for work or gigs at brixton. North of the river is best, cue all the aussies and kiwis in clapham to start singing the praises of south.
  • i am aware there are not just aussies and kiwis in south london they just happen to be the loudest.