Comments

• I doubt very much they've read the article Aitch.

Smokers in these parts can't read.

At least the f*cking enormous "NO SMOKING ANYWHERE IN THE HOSPITAL GROUNDS" signs anyway.

I prefer a more draconian approach. My grandmother favoured the "if you smoke I'll wet the whole pack and forcefeed them to you one by one".......image

• It's ridiculous! Erm, hello, quit smoking and you save money! Why should you be given more?!

I'm thinking I should take up smoking so I get £12.50 a week to quit!
  • I know somebody whose asthma is so debilitating she has a blue badge at 27 and spends weeks at a time on a resps ward because it is generally poorly controlled.

She took up smoking to "lose weight" image

• Zanzinger wrote (see)
    Am I the only one who thought Blue Peter badge, for blue badge. Either one is probably sad to get at 27!
    For making something out of an old fag packet, a few dog ends and some (used) matches, all covered in sticky back plastic..............(no, an ashtray doesn't count)
  • I'm asthmatic (or used to be when I smoked) but gave up in 1984.  Do I get back pay?image

Also I'd love Blue Peter badge

By Hash aged 46 and a quarter x

• LOL Hashie, probably no back pay!

I just thing it's blinkin' stupid!
  • ZZ - LOL!

Sadly she did not lose weight and is bigger than ever but has an almost permanent hospital bed.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41489000/jpg/_41489696_bluepet.jpg

Just for you ZZ - I know you want one really! image

• LB - Thas so upsetting. My health is very important to me and I'm 27.

If you can't give up smoking for your health will £12 a week really help?

• LIVERBIRD- I think your granny had the best idea. I watched a follow up programme this week about the 2 groups of overweight bingo hall staff who lost weight last year. The group which were paid lost the most but had put it all back on, the unpaid group lost less but continue to lose or keep it off.  Guessing it would be the same- take the cash & restart (or never stop).

Barmy -why don't they give us the cash to keep fit. 

• i wonder what i'd get for giving up crack coccaine?
  • i agree this is utterly barmy (must also declare myself a Fifer/Dundonian.

however, have also heard from dundee health professionals that it is apparently having a noticeable effect....just saying,

• Of course it's having an effect, they get 12 and half quids worth of extra shopping every week, adding a bit of luxury! I wonder whether the effects will be that great when they stop getting their money. In fact, how long do they get paid for?? They don't even have to give up completely as one woman on the news says she was still smoking 2 a day! Surely she's more likely to start smoking again!

LOL Oxy, you joke but it's true, won't be long before druggies get paid to come off the stuff! I am not a fan of drug abusers either! They get no sympathy from me!
  • I take Dude's point that it's having an effect and you could argue that anything that encourages people to give up would have to be a good thing. I have two points though to raise.

What if these smokers are spending their £12.50 on cream cakes / lard / anything in Farmfoods and are storing up an obesity problem instead, which will also have an affect on the NHS resources? (and let's face it, it IS a money saving exercise for the government) Quitting smokers often report overeating when they give up, when in reality they've had their appetites suppressed by nicotine for years....

And who are the government to hand out OUR taxes to people and then dictate what they should spend their money on? I can, of course see why they wouldn't want them to blow it on a bottle of Scotch, but who REALLY wants to live in a country where what you buy is down to men in suits in Whitehall?

Thin end of the wedge.....image

• they would be better giving then free access to the councils leisure centre for a period whilst they gave up.........therefore giving them a new focus and helping them not gain weight and get fitter........................and wouldn't be handing out cash.........................
  • Aitch! wrote (see)
    Of course it's having an effect, they get 12 and half quids worth of extra shopping every week, adding a bit of luxury!

No no, let's get this right.  They get about £25 extra shopping once you include the money they haven't spend on cigarettes.

Heck, that's a week's worth of decent meals for me!

• From what they were saying on the radio last night, they get what sounded like a gift card for ASDA that gets topped up with the money each week once they've been to the clinic running the scheme and had a carbon monoxide test. If they pass the CO testing, they get the top ups. It's for 12 weeks and is being run following a similar scheme introduced for pregnant women called Give it up for Baby.

Surely anything which encourages people to stop smoking is good though?

• but they would be saving more than that a week just from giving up............if that doesn't provide an incentive and then if they buy loads of crap they will start again because they will blame the weight gain on giving up the cigarettes and then it will be in their heads that they can't give up next time or they will gain weight.........

surely a plan that encourages exercise which will make them feel better will have a longer lasting chance of working..............

• It's not a lot of money.  It's just something to make people stop and think about it for more than a second.

I think it's a good idea.

• I think people should be encourage to stop smoking, of course I do BUT I don't think this is the right way to go about it. They said the money on the card is to be spent on groceries, but the only thing it can't be spent on in cigarettes and booze. Who's to say they're not spending it on cream cakes and biscuits? If they're not even asked to give up smoking completely in order to get this extra money I can't see how it's going to help. I'm sure there are some stats somewhere that show that people who go cold turkey are more likely to stop than people who continue to smoke 1 or 2 a day. They're clearly still relying on nicotine and you know what it's like, 1 or 2 turns into 3 or 4 or more!

How about pay me for NOT ruining my health and smoking!

Moose, I know it's not a great deal, but well over 200 quid per person and think about how many people there are on the scheme (I know there are a lot). It IS a lot of money! What happens when they stop getting the money?? That's their long term incentive? People wills tart to rely on that extra money then get depressed blah blah blah when they don't have as much.... I don't think it will work in the long term.
  • Why not cream cakes & biscuits?  Whatever helps to get off the fags (provided it's not smack or something) is ok by me.

When I gave up smoking I found that drinking whiskey really helped, but I didn't become alcoholic.  I did put on weight, but then I dealt with that when I was free of the weed.  One thing at a time.

If people are smoking 2 or three a day and they're still getting a negative on the CO test then the test needs tightening up.  I absolutely agree that you can't give up by cutting down.

But I still maintain that it's not a lot of money - not in the wider scheme of things.  Especially if you factor in the healthcare savings.  By the time the scheme ends, hopefully folks will have realised how much better they feel and that's their incentive to stay off.  I don't think people should be allowed to join & re-join the scheme - it should be a once only deal. 

• What's cheaper - Paying people to quit or the medical services provided?
  • Make them pay for their own medical bills!!*

*I know, not realistic, but it would make people see how much it costs to put right the damage they've caused to their bodies by being stupid!
  • i thought that the funds raised from the taxation of fags was greater than the cost of treating smoking related illnesses on the NHS? i might be wrong. but if it is the case, I'd rather the government didn't spend any money attempting to adjust what is a personal choice, when it would mean an increase in tax for everyone.
  • Agrees; don't smokers pay a net £7Bn a year to the Treasury (£8.5Bn in; £1.5Bn in healthcare) plus the pensions saving because they (on average) die younger...
  • Aitch! wrote (see)
    How about pay me for NOT ruining my health and smoking!
    I agree.  I work in a wider health promotions team and we had this debate in the office yesterday.  The evidence on long term success with financial incentives isn't actually that great.  The people on the scheme often don't stick with it beyond the period of the scheme because the intrinsic motivation isn't actually there.  It reminds me of paying kids to stay on at school.  OK so you get bums on seats for a period of time, but there's no evidence that they get decent grades or their career prospects are hugely improved because apart from wanting the cash they don't want to be there, and I expect this cash for fags pilot will show similar outcomes.  It's not enough to just throw money at the problem.  It can't buy motivation.
  • Following on from my earlier comment, that the incentive plus the saving comes to about £25.

Presumably the savings a smoker makes on not buying cigarettes over the course of a week is insufficient incentive for them to actually stop, and the incentive needs a boost in cash.

Ok, it wouldn't be allowed, but the government could simply hike the tax up to the point where a cigarettes cost £12.50 more per week to the average smoker.  Those who can still afford to buy them will simply pay way over the cost and it can go to the NHS.

(I actually wrote that about 2 hours ago and forgot to press Submit, so there will be about 20 x-posts now.)

• Good point Oxy, let them keep going!