What do you carry when running

Comments

• I always carry my mobile, keys and ipod in a money belt, which isn't even noticable under a running top.

• Parklife - you take chocolate??? That's brilliant - it wouldn't last too long with me though!!

Short runs I take keys and ye old fashioned 5 year old ipod. Long runs I take my nathan water belt (brilliant by the way - I'm pretty small and most of the time I don't even notice it)which can also carry the ipod, keys, phone and a few gels if necessary.

I really should take my phone with me all the time but if I'm not taking the belt I have nowhere to put it. It's an iphone so too big to strap to my arm I reckon and I can't find any shorts with a pocket big enough to take more than a key. Any ideas??
  • I deliberately buy running  clothes with pockets for carrying stuff. I often run home from work so then I have a phone, ipod, security pass to get back in the next day, keys, money. All fits into pockets. Started getting harder when I was doing longer runs and wanted to bring gels, ended up losing one cos it fell out my pocket! (more annoying was when I lost £20 cos it fell out my pocket!)

Sometimes if I don't have pockets or have too much stuff I carry a small purse that I can fit phone, cash, ards, security pass into. But on my last run it dyed my hands pink when they sweated!

• Just the front door key that fits snugly in the zipped pocket on the back of my shorts.  The only problem is the zip is so fiddlely and just above my bum it must look like i'm scratching my arse when retrieving my key at the end of the run.
  • I always take my phone with me since I fell down a rabbit hole and broke my ankle.  I had to drag myself back to a nearby apple orchard and luckily it was apple picking season otherwise I would have had to drag myself another mile to the nearest house. 
  • Thank all, that's really helpful.

I will look at some pocketed legwear, although some of the links looked a bit sporty for me - I have neither the legs for lycra nor the knees for shorts.

On the waist belt things, do they jog around? I tried a bum bag, but found it bounced about far too much for comfort. I can imagine a wider belt that things slot into might have that issue less, but I still wonder.

• The waist belt things are fine- they are flatish not like a traditional bum bag.

(and you can even fit a metronome in them according to JohnFol!!!)

• I have shorts with zipped pocket at the back, which is ok to hold my key, but for longer runds I have a waist pack which is very useful to carry gels, money (liquid refills etc),You get used to it and dont notice it's there - I actually hurt myself getting through a gate once.....

But putting my mobile phone in takes all the space.If only there was a small one...(and cheap - just for running)

I usually dont take my mobile and just let my other half where I am running and how long I am expected to be gone for, and let her worry.....

However I heard that now you can get tracking to your iPhone!

• helterskelter wrote (see)
    Parklife - you take chocolate??? That's brilliant - it wouldn't last too long with me though!!

HS - just in case I feel weak or I run further than I planned to.  I don't do gels or jelly babies - too sweet for me.  I keep it tucked away and wrapped in foil, so too fiddly to undo unless I really need it! image

• Hi Parklife

Does the chocolate release its desired effect quickly enough? I find jelly beans very sweet aswell. Another good alternative I find is the soft chewy mints but If the choc work well this will be a happy alternative for me.image

• On the rare occasions I've used it, a square has been fine for me then maybe another later to top-up.  I use dark, organic as it contains vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and boosts seratonin.  Also the sugar in there gives me a boost too (and it's delicious!). imageimage

• Parklife

imageTOP 10 Running Equipmentsimage

1. Bottle of TonicWater contain Acid to smooth the pain
    2. .Mints,Chewy Bars,JellyBlock cotain Water
    3. Ice Sticks from RW This Month to cool the water in  your rucksack
    4. Sport Shade Glasses
    5. First Aid Bag
    6. Goodness Milshake-Take 2 just incase you need a drink
    7. Bananana and Apple
    8. Mobile Phone-Must Fully Chargeimage
    9. Good Trainers ie Nike and well known name
    10. Money just incase you need some food for relax
  • i lock my house keys in the car then lace my car key into my shoe, refill an empty fruitshoot bottle with water for long hot day runs , there small easy to carry an can be thrown away wen emptied!
  • 2X 800ML bottles, gels, tissues, fone, microporous tape, waterproof jacket if it looks like rain, a tenner, anti inflammatories, antacids, nuuns, and a credit card if I plan to stop off at Evans on the way to load up my pack with more gels and bars for a bike ride. Or for any other shopping for that matter.
  • I run with a stupid amount of stuff. 

I normally run to work, and carry a really comfy dakine rucksack with: work clothes for the day (e.g. jeans, belt, undies, vest, jumper), breakfast, lunch (box with salad + 3 pieces of fruit), makeup bag, hair straightners, sometimes a change of gym clothes for after work, purse, phone, and usual handbag type stuff (notebook, pens, bus pass, gym timetable, pens... you really have to wonder why I bother).

I did have a very good routine in place, where I could take most things in the day before a run and leave it there, but I've upped the running, and it doesn't really work any more. 

I don't find it too bad though, you get used to the extra weight pretty quickly, and having a decent rucksack helps.  When it come to races, you feel like you've dropped a stone overnight!  It makes it impossible to wear sleeveless tops without serious chaffing though.

• Ice Sticks from RW This Month  ?? Whats this as I got my mag and didnt see ice sticks....

• Tell us more about the icesticks....I didnt see it in there either
  •   I think on he far front page in the middle from P1 to p10 I think recommanded by RW the Ice Sticks ready to use.All You need put in the Freezer and put it out until you ready and keep your rucksack with Bladder Cool.Its much better for the Marathons run and Summer?

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb098&pp=ZRman000
  • Hi all,

I bought this on tinternet a couple of months ago. Very handy for basics like keys and mobile. Great value too.
    http://www.highsandlows.co.uk/476/nathan-pack-sack-plus-xi-sale
  • I'm climber and hill walker as well as a runner so I tend to over pack whenever I go anywhere outdoors.

When running I wear a Camelback fell runners belt which has a number of useful pockets and pouches.  One fits an old mobile phone I keep just for emergencies but never switched on. Another pocket fits my MP3 player perfectly, then at the back theres a zip pocket which contains a tenner, 2 Ibuprophen (when I first started running outdoors I used to get awful headaches), an energy bar and a hiviz armband with flashing LEDs in case it gets dark before I finish.  The final thing is a bottle with about 350mls of water which goes in the purpose made bottle holder at the back.  Other than that its sunglasses if its sunny and a GPS watch to track my pitiful progress.

I only do 10K three times a week so goodness knows what I'd take for a marathon!

• on short runs i take my phone and ipod in armbands (one on each arm image), garmin and roadID (wear that all the time)

middle length runs - as above, but take a (donut) bottle of water

long runs - phone, ipod, garmin, donut bottle with water, bottle belt with 2 small bottles of sports drink (easiest way i can think of to carry water and sports drink)

when i move i will start carrying a door key. i've got some sweatbands from JJB that have a little zipped pocket (i don't bother at the mo cos i just hide it)

btw, Diggle (i think it was you) i used to find that my armbands rubbed really badly, but i've found that if i cut the top off an old pair of my BF's socks and put that under the armband it stops the rubbing

• Runs under 10 miles: watch and sweatband for wrist with pocket in which I put my front door key.

Runs over 10 miles:  Fuel Belt with water and 4:1 carb/protein mix drink, phone, €20, Donor Card, Jelly Babies or Tootie Frooties, watch and wrist sweatband.

• Shimmy shimmy wrote (see)
    I always take my phone with me since I fell down a rabbit hole and broke my ankle.  I had to drag myself back to a nearby apple orchard and luckily it was apple picking season otherwise I would have had to drag myself another mile to the nearest house. 

image - holy crap!!

On short runs - ipod (I always take it - it distracts me from my heavy breathing! LOL) small water bottle - I'm not thirsty I get a very dry mouth (I guess if I was thinner I'd not get such a dry mouth - MrGFB doesn't need one and he's skinny!)  my watch.

On longer runs (as far as I can remember - haven't run long in a while!!) the above plus some honeystinger gel sweets.  Plus I take some coins wrapped in tinfoil (stops the jingling) to buy a bottle of water en route. 

• I take nothing for most runs... 

Clip on my ipod shuffle for short speed runs with selected choons to spur me on.

• JWrunJWrun ✭✭✭
    arm band with phone, a quid for more water if i need it and my mini i-pod thing - also need a tissue most runs but tuck that in my shorts, key gets thrown in with the other stuff, take a bottle of water for long runs as well, I feel under prepared compared to some peeps!
  • I think where you live and run makes a big difference.  I live in the middle of nowhere so carrying more stuff is pretty essential.  Just carrying money to buy water or get a bus home wouldn't be much use to me where I run as there aren't any shops or much in the way of civilisation. 

I'd also take water no matter if its a long or short run.  I've trained myself to keep swigging as I run to try to stave off cramps and stand me in good stead for longer outings. 

Personally I'd say a mobile is also essential for safety (on a number of levels) and without my MP3 I'd run out of motivation after about 100 yards!

• short run - car key in plastic bag to protect from rain/sweat (electronic key) which carry in shorts.

over 12m - water as well.image

(headtorch and hi vis jacket if dark)

• Ian Middleton 3 wrote (see)

without my MP3 I'd run out of motivation after about 100 yards!

So what are you going to do when you enter a race that doesn't allow headphones? image
  • About 1 stone excess weightimageimage