Options

TdF spoilers

Great stage today - really unexpected  - can't understand why Columbia did it as it was a pretty big risk and while it worked they probably could have done a standard lead out, won, and still been fresh for tomorrow.  

Why didn't Cancellera or someone else take a flyer with 1k to go though - Cav's team must have been tired ?

Comments

• Options
    sounds odd.... Pops, any clues on where to download video streaming on the interweb.  I don't have sky and could while away my time on the train watching streams on the laptop.  I've been searching but the ones I've found have their commentary in a variety of languages - none of them English! 
  • Options
    M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    Fabulous stage and it shows that Lance has still got it.  He said afterwards that he was making sure he was at the front coming into the big corners, expecting someone to take advantage of the wind and make a break.  I guess Contador isn't so sharp.
  • Options
    Interestingly last time the tour was in the area - vinos astana used the same tactics to distance moreau.
    Exciting stage today !
  • Options

The commentary on spanish tv was quite funny, they seemed upset that Astana didn't work in the peleton to close the gap.
    I think today actually gives Contador a comfy position for when the GC stuff really starts. Tomorrow the whole team has to nail it anyway. After that, if someone relevant attacks they'd have to cover it anyway as a team. Doesn't matter if Armstrong is ahead or Contador.

Astana has given the other main contenders an extra problem with Armstrong very high in the GC, don't see how that's bad for Contador, unless nobody is going to try and challenge. How sad would that be?

• Options
    Its early days too - can't see that the times are too impportant but it does show that lance is tactically as strong as ever.
  • Options

Fab stage today

can't wait for tomorrow and the return of my favourite stage the Team time Trial  image

• Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    PSC wrote (see)

sounds odd.... Pops, any clues on where to download video streaming on the interweb.  I don't have sky and could while away my time on the train watching streams on the laptop.  I've been searching but the ones I've found have their commentary in a variety of languages - none of them English! 
    Maybe combine the foreign language TV with Eurosport commentary - you used to be able to get that over the internet - not sure if you still can ?

I think I remember that Cougie - didn't realise it was the same area - that was when Vino was angry because he thought other teams had taken advantage of a crash to distance him in an earlier stage wasn't it - the year he got done for doping ?
  • Options
    Mrs FunkinMrs Funkin ✭✭✭

I thought Lance played a blinder today.  Also Renshaw, Hincapie and Rogers need a BIG bonus from Cav after all that work.  Seriously, I thought Columbia were just practising for tomorrow when the train seemed to fall apart and then there was Cav behind Renshaw.  I swear my heart can't take that again...

Right, time for Fantasy Team changes...

• Options

certainly was an interesting day.

i'm sure colombia will be fine tomorrow. 

looked to me like lance had aged a few years since the start of the tour.  liked it in the interview when he said "i don't want to talk about who's the leader" and then went on to talk about who's the leader.  they must have some interesting team dinners.

• Options

For those asking about live streaming, I watched it here today with English commentary

http://atdhe.net/7528/watch-le-tour-de-france-2009

The ads are however quite frequent and a bit annoying, found this by googling 'tdf live stream'

• Options
    Just done another search and theres lots of links from here
  • Options

Columbias train is awesome. The stage 2 win with all that bumping and bashing and Milram trying to muscle in, and the columbia boys just wound it on and on and on till they broke the other trains apart. And lets be honest, the best sprinters in the world can be right up Cavs pipe, but when he lights the touchpaper they can not even stay on him, let alone think about a pass.

I agree with Mrs Funkin. I am no great fan of Armstrong generally, but he has the nouse.He has just laid down a bit of a marker there, it will keep Contador honest if nothing else. He was savvy enough to get in the break and stay there.

• Options
    The bike mags are reporting that a french rider was on albertos wheel and that it was him that lost the wheel that made the split !
  • Options
    Mrs FunkinMrs Funkin ✭✭✭

I read that last night too, he said Alberto was the first rider in the split peleton.  If that is the case (and I watched it a couple of times but couldn't properly see) then I suspect dinner last night was interesting.  Lance seemed pleased with himself on Twitter.  If he gets to wear yellow after the TTT today, how much of a "team leader" decider would that be.  It's all hotting up image  Am also wondering how much time Alberto is managing to fit in to talk to Caisse d'Epargne...quite a lot at a guess.

My only real concern ATM is that Lance will indeed go and set up his own team and try and take George with him.  I don't think he would go though, he seems to love riding with Cav.

TTT today, Garmin or Columbia?  Wow.  Maybe someone else, I suspect Lance will have had a word or 2 with his allies in Astana last night (I also suspect Zubelda and Contador won't be speaking much today) and wants to  get in yellow. 

• Options
    M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭

If Contador is doing anything except kicking himself for missing the break then he's an idiot.  It was entirely his own fault that he wasn't in the right place and he should suck it up and learn from it.  I doubt it's going to make much difference to the final result in Paris anyway.

My money is on Columbia.  They really want to beat Garmin so I think they'll do whatever it takes to win the stage.

• Options
    I don't expect Astana to deliberately get into the yellow today. If Saxobank messes up they could end up with the yellow jersey but logic dictates they'd rather not. They'd only be forced to start controlling the race and why work hard if you can let Saxobank do it?
    I'd be surprised if Columbia can win 2 team time trials on consecutive days...
  • Options

Agree with mr W on the 'interesting dinner' talk. What else is there to say apart from 'pay attention, alberto!'?

Bruyneel has a blog on a flemish newspaper site and he was happy about yesterday. Hesitated to let his boys work up front, but then decided it didn't matter for Contador anyway, as he was with the other main contenders.

• Options

yeah, the press just like a bit of a story i guess.

can't see lance getting into yellow today.  40 seconds is alot to make up on a good team like saxo bank.  

• Options
    regarding the press - "Armstrong tactics leave Contador reeling".   i bet he's just bored of it.  come friday's stage he'll jump on teh pedals and stomp away to victory.  no need for a team or anything, no need to wait for Johan to say go.  he can just put so much time into armstrong then that there will be no question about who's the leader. 
  • Options
    great stage yesterday looking forward to the TTT today image
  • Options
    Mrs FunkinMrs Funkin ✭✭✭
    TTT on now.  Things not going well for Rabobank...
  • Options
    can you watch it online?
  • Options
    M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    You can, with Eurosport.  I think you have to subscribe to be able to watch it.
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    There's a link someone posted on the first page of this thread - just clicked it and it's on now.
  • Options
    funny to see bouyges telecom have half the team lose it on that corner.  could be an interesting stage.
  • Options
    M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    WTF are Garmin up to image
  • Options

barlos should be watching this to get some aerohelmet tips.

whatever garmin's up to they've just gon through the intermediate split in 1st place.  30s up.

• Options
    M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    They must have dropped the crap riders then?
  • Options
    Mrs FunkinMrs Funkin ✭✭✭
    OMG!  OMG!  It's soooooo close!  OMG!  I might burst....calculators at the ready....