has this happened to you?

2»

Comments

• I always cheerfully invite them along for the company giving them a destination at least 7 miles away even if I'm nearly home, that usually gets rid.

With girls I always invite them to our running club saying we need more women doing sport, they look surprised and flattered.

• As for aggro- it seems to be more a feature of a bike ride than a run, and often involving dangerous motorist behaviour. If more people rode bikes they would know to give you room and yes you have an engine which makes enough noise to warn me of your existance without using your bloody horn as well.
  • Gambatt3Gambatt3 ✭✭✭

Out on my racer had an egg hit my left shoulder from a car coming the opposite direction. It must have just snuck under my face. I was doing about 30mph car was doing about 40+, so a combined impact speed of 70mph+

Daft sods turned round a couple of hundred yards up the road to come back, gloat and shout.

Obviously didn't think that at that point I might be on the phone to a 999 operator and able to read out their reg No..... apparantly plead guilty to dangerous driving. Took a fortnight for the bruising to go down.

Talking to a lass at the local cycling club and it turns out its not uncommon, she had an unopened can of coke thrown at her.

• not had anything thrown at me, just annoying beeps on the horn in an attempt to make me jump followed by unintelligible shouting - usually have my i-pod on though so they're muffled idiots image
  • I second that Mon; it's worse with bikes than running.  Not had anything thrown at me that I can remember when running, but I've had bottles and things thrown at me cycling.  The most alarming was bangers (fireworks, not sausages!).
  • http://9inchmarketing.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/bummer1.jpg

People throw things at MrGFB on a regualr basis!  I don't know why!  The worst was when a group of young guys threw large bricks at him...the first he knew was when one went BOIIINNNG off a lamp post!  He's been run at by fellas on bikes, shouted abuse at from cars etc!  I told he'll have to stop wearing his "I'm a target t shirt"!!

• had stuff chucked at a group from my running club, I think we got off lightly, as one of the women's groups got an air rifle fired at them.  It's generally a nice area too
  • LOL at the pic GFB.. "Bummer of a birthmark, Hal" One of my faves image
  • I've never had anything thrown at me when I've been out running on my own (just the same old car horns and 'amusing' comments from teenage chavs), but when I was running the Edinburgh Marathon this year some people at the other side of a wall were throwing pretty big stones over at all the runners. Luckily no-one was hurt that I'm aware of, but the sheer ignorance and stupidity of the idiots throwing the stones really angered me! They could pretty easily have caused someone some real damage.

I can't believe (despite all those stories heard above) that people can be so stupid as to throw stones!

Empty bottles / eggs / water pistols all a pain but unlikely to cause injury - but stones! Pathetic. 

• Stones and snowballs along the local towpath but unfortunately from the other side so no chance to have a 'chat' with them about it, also an apple from a passing car which missed.

Largest item was a scooter, I'm guessing stolen. Again along the towpath, this time under Spaghetti Junction, I heard the revving from behind one of the supports and sure enough it was followed by a moving scooter but they had been holding the back wheel in the air until I was near enough to let go, luckily the front wheel turned and it fell over but could have been a tad painful.

• NykieNykie ✭✭✭

I've had pies thrown at me when I've been at a rugby match (still warm as well, wish I'd caught one!) and there are quite often stones thrown from over the back of the away stand at Salford's ground.

I did, when I was a kid, have a full glass milk bottle thrown at my feet. Stitches, hospital, everything. Although the boys did say they were going to throw it and I did say, 'Go on then'. image