Can't lose weight, what is wrong with me?

Comments

• Also Danowat I would prefer that all different opinions are expressed on this thread as someone else having problems losing weight may pop in for a read and benefit from them. Just because some things suggested by peeps haven't worked for me doesn't mean they won't be beneficial to others. You being a perfect example, what you are doing obviously works very well for you and no doubt for many other peeps.

TT ;0)

• Day off today so walked 5km to Tesco and back with my little teeny in her pram, she had a lovely snooze! Stocked up on tuna in water, low fat cottage cheese, turkey breast, rice cakes and shape hunger control yoghurts (8g protein per pot). Have already had 47g of protein today so much better than yesterday. Off to make a pot of chilli for dinner now.

TT ;0)

• Going for 30min run tonight when hubby get's home from work, prob about 10ish, prefer running really early or really late cos don't feel as selfconscious lugging my fat, blubbery self round the streets when no one else around LOL!

TT ;0)

• GymAddict wrote (see)

If weight loss was so straight forward, just move more and eat less - there would be no obesity problem.  It's not that all these overweight folks have no will power and don't want to lose weight -it's just not that simple for a lot of people, too many other factors.

Obviously i don't want to sound patronising, but don't you think it's strange that developing / poorer countries don't have obesity problems, whether they are males, females, post or prior to pregnancy.

Maybe they're genetically different to westerners?

• The other factors I was referring to are not calorific ones - pressures of advertising, family, tradition, habit, the way our food is manufactured, drugs, cars, lifestyle, surroundings, working patterns........

Starvation generally does lead to thinness - I was not suggesting otherwise.
  • Not all thin / people of normal weight are starving, it's just that they seem to know something we don't, or perhaps rather, have forgotten. An individual cannot blame outside pressures for their weight problem, at the end of the day it's up to them.

I'm with Danowat, you can lead horse to water but you can't make them drink, good luck.

• Some charming people we get on this thread. Don't really appreciate being called a horse by someone who knows feck all about me.

TT ;0)

• OOOh i pressed the 'ignore member' button and my thread is a much nicer place now, no sarcastic remarks and nasty comments, much more pleasant.

TT ;0)

• GymAddict wrote (see)

If weight loss was so straight forward, just move more and eat less - there would be no obesity problem.  It's not that all these overweight folks have no will power and don't want to lose weight -it's just not that simple for a lot of people, too many other factors.

Disagree. It is down to will power. Most people don't have enough of it to make the permanent lifestyle changes, i.e. go past the quick fix stage.

We have the obesity problem for multifactorial reasons, but whether you're talking about syndrome X or disordered eating it is underpinned by food and physical activity levels.

Typical scenario is: Diet. Weight comes off. Happy now. Let diet slip a bit or don't do same amount of physical activity. Weight's back on. Go back to stage 1...except add in some 'other factors' to analyse where the wheels fell off.

Take christmas or holidays - most of us will gain a few pounds as we're either eating more or not moving around as much.

It really isn't anything more complex!

• I've just read through all of this - and its hugely supportive.

I dont see a need to ignore Lardarse - he/she has a point too.

If you ask for advice - at least be open to receiving something that may seem a little bit off from what you expected.

As a nation we're getting fatter - its not rocket science why - we can afford massive amounts of food now to what we used to buy even a decade or two ago. Cars have got cheaper and people are more accustomed to using them.

Good luck with it !

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I found weightloss to be just that simple - I ate less, moved more, and lost three and a half stone. 

It took quite a long time, but I stuck at it, and by maintaining the lower eating level and the higher moving level, it has stayed off.

So it can be done, if you put your mind to it.

• It is possible to give an opinion without calling people names or making faces at them or being sarcastic about their views. All a bit childish really. I look after children as a job don't need to be listening to bickering on here too. It is possible to give an opinion without being sarcastic, patronising or condescending. Plenty of people have managed just that on this thread so there is no excuse for the few who can't manage it.

It just causes bad feeling and frightens people off from thread which isn't fair.

TT ;0)

• Plus I couldn't give a toss about the nation's obesity problem, only interested in solving my own oneimage

TT ;0)

• lol TT

At times like this sometimes saying me me me I am the most important is exactly what you need. 

Coughie, Lardarse may have a point but if you look at many of the things they say they come across in quite an aggressive/negative manner. 

If I posted ooh I don't know why I'm fat I eat cake all day, send the kids to fetch my takeaways and always have a big bottle of pop and gin on the go, I'd expect to be slagged off.

TT is doing all the right things, but something isn't working, i think the more constructive comments will be of more benefit to all the thread posters and lurkers.

• I would add that I've also been overweight in the past.

I cut out the energy-dense foods, kept a food diary, drank lots of water, ate plenty of fibre & complex carbs and did a frightening amount of physical activity. It took 3 months for me to get to my ideal weight. Now I have trouble keeping the weight on, but the bonus is I can eat treats like cakes, choc and cream teas image

Make moving around more part of your life... see it as something important, and adjust your time to accommodate it. You find time for other things in the 168 hours during the week.

And find a moving around activity you like!

• I agree entirely beebs. I just took offence to sarcastic comments thrown in my direction, especially when I wasn't even involved in the conversation at that point. No need for it!

Siance managed to make a comment without being offensive, thank you.

TT ;0)

• Theres always the risk of throwing the baby out with the bathwater though isnt there. You took exception to something and threw the ignore button at the poster - you dont know that in the future they may have just the answer to your probs. I didnt see their words as overly aggressive. If they're offensive yeah - bin them, but you do need to be able to rise above the odd 'funny/sarcy' comment.

I must have missed the name calling ?
  • TT - I don't think LA was trying to be offensive, just entering into the debate - even if he did seem to misinterpret everything I posted - I obviously was not very clear.

Anyway:

I have found that some people (especially thin ones who have NEVER had a weight problem) see obesity as a self inflicted problem and there is that subtle (or not so subtle) hint that if you were just a little bit less greedy and less lazy then the weight would drop off. This attitude has made me quite defensive when it comes to this subject. Now that I am slim I get the opposite (you are so LUCKY - as if hard work had nothing to do with it).

I have been obese and am now a healthy weight - it took a hell of a long time and it was a slog (did it twice after all - after both pregnancies) and yes it does come down to calories in vs calories out BUT BUT BUT, it is easier for some than for others. The type of food you eat can make it easier or harder. The type of exercise you do can make it easier or harder. the kind of support network you have, lots of things. That was what I meant by 'it's not as simple as just........'

• menu today was 2 slice of nimble wholemeal toast with marmite and tomato for breakfast.

Lunch-Turkey breast slices, cottage cheese, a spinach, watercress, rocket and courgette salad and a shape hunger control yoghurt for afters.

Dinner-homemade chilli (was recipe from This Morning with black beans, coriander and lime juice in it-was delicious) with mixed salad leaves. Have to say I prefer chilli with salad rather than rice, always have, the fresh crunchiness of salad just goes really well with chilli.

So far 804 calories and 78g of protein and feeling really good and positive.

GA- I got what you meant  and agree.

Also I think I said before I think people of same size and activity levels can have differing BMR so one will find losing or maintaining weight harder than the other. I know people who are the complete opposite of me, they eat nonstop, eat a load of crap and don't exercise because they get too scrawny and muscular when they do. They have just as many issues with their body as me and they also have to deal with people making comments to them as people think it's ok to tell someone they are too skinny. Just as hurtful to them as someone coming up and telling me I'm too fat.

Was going to make a comment about the lack of obesity problem in poorer countries but can't be bothered with it all any more.

TT ;0)

• "but don't you think it's strange that developing / poorer countries don't have obesity problems, whether they are males, females, post or prior to pregnancy".

I lived in Botswana (middle income country) and Tanzania (one of the poorest countries in the world); in both countries, obesity existed and was increasingly prevalent in Botswana as the country became richer.
    Botswana has a rate of heart disease and diabetes which would be shocking if they weren't dying from HIV/AIDS and car crashes. As people gain wealth in these countries, the ability to eat food is considered a status symbol - people worked in my offices who were low level civil servants who were round and could barely walk.

The diet in botswana was meat, sugar, fat and carbs - great if you are walking miles every day - less good if you only walk from the car to the door and always take the lift.

Good luck TT
  • Good luck TT - i think you sound really positive and motivated and I am absolutely sure you will get where you want to be and do it in a reasonable time.

mmmm love black beans - that chilli sounds fab
  • Ta GA

Rachel S that is kind of what I was going to say earlier and couldn't be bothered. I have seen fat people on tv and in photos in poor countries, they don't have the huge obesity problem we have (no pun intended) as obviously a large percentage of obese people do eat junk and do no exercise. But not all!

My Mum reckons we have same genes as her Aunt who lived in a very different time with no junk food and a lot of energy expended just keeping a home and getting the shopping in, she struggled with her weight all her life (my Mum reckons she was about 20stone) and my Mum never seen her eating more than a tiny amount. Her husband was a skinny little man who ate like a horse too. She was born probably around 1900 and had numerous pregnancies but as she was rhesus -ve all but the first child died. 

TT ;0)

• Just my tuppence worth about what's worked for me (4 stone down and for the first time in my life happy with my body shape).

The Paul McKenna plan and ones like it are very sensible and do work.  Forget about the cd that goes with the McKenna one- that's only added on because it's expected of him.  I didn't follow these plan types strictly but always had the main principles in mind, which as far as I can remember are:-

Eat when you are hungry - if your stomach is rumbling your body wants food and you should listen to what your body is telling you.

Eat what you want - the minute you start resricting yourself as to certain types of food you will want them more and will be more likely to cave in and binge (certainly true for me)

Eat slowly and savour every mouthful.  This was my biggest fault before - wolfing everything down and not giving my body a chance to feel full.  I could easily chomp down a full big bar of whole nut in a couple of minutes, which is god only knows how many calories and then go back to the fridge afterwards for osmething else.  Now I can have a small bar of chocolate, make it last twice as long as a huge bar used to and feel mroe satidfied after it.

Stop when you feel full.  As a consequence of eating slowly, I felt full before finishing my meal and for the first time in my life stopped eating everything on my plate.  It was probably the most liberating thing I did, changing the habit of a lifetime.

I always used to think that I was eating normally and couldn't understand why I didn't lose weight.  It's only when you change your habits and be completely honest with yourself that it happens.

Obviously running helps aswell image

For the record, I also believe that if you're taking in less calories than you are burning, it's impossible for you not to lose weight and if it isn't happening, then either the calculaitons of what you're burning or of the calories in your food and drink are wrong.  Anecdotal evidence about what fat or skinny people seem to eat and how it affects them is not evidence of anything.

• I'm not sure you can eat a tiny amount of food and still bulk up to 20 stone.

If this was possible cattle breeders the world over would have been working on this. It'd be like free meat - result !
  • beebs wrote (see)

TT is doing all the right things, but something isn't working, i think the more constructive comments will be of more benefit to all the thread posters and lurkers.

You only have their word for that.

Rachel S wrote (see)
     I lived in Botswana (middle income country) and Tanzania (one of the poorest countries in the world); in both countries, obesity existed and was increasingly prevalent in Botswana as the country became richer.

So your agreeing then? That people get heavier as their live's get more opulent?

Thank's for seeing my points cougie, i wasn't trying to insult anyone, it's just that, just as danowat appears to have left them to it, thats what i was going to do. It really is pointless trying to help some people.

As i've said before, i was very overweight as a child, 10 stone at 8yrs old, 14 stone at 11, 16.5 stone at 15. I find it quite insulting that people think they're somehow differrent to everyone else, that their bodies work by some biological miracle. I accepted at 15 how i would have lose weight, and i did. But i'm not perfect, and i've had relapses over the years, and have never been skinny, but i have reached a normal weight for my height.

Anyway, if anyone / everyone wants to ignore me, thats fine, people need to HTFU! image

• Thanks for the charming email btw, copy of it below, won't be reading anymore of them so don't waste your time sending them.

"That sounds about right, hide your head in the sand if you don't like what
    everyones telling you, which is your hugely overweight because you eat far
    too much, and don't do anywhere near enough exercise. Simple."

That'll be one of those supportive messages everyone keeps saying I'm getting on this thread.TT ;0)

• Thought you were ignoring me! image

spelling

• <delurk>

Hi TT, one quick thing I noticed in amongst all the advice here. You said on the first page that you usually eat 1500 cals a day but the two days that you reported on here you had 700 ish and 800ish. Is that a pattern? It can be terribly addictive to go lower and lower and lower on the cals, and while 1500 cals a day might allow for sustainable weightloss, 700-800 will surely crash your metabolism. Maybe these were just a couple of days of unusually low eating, but even if so, and even if it's healthy stuff that you're eating, I don't think it's enough.

Onwards and upwards!

• That may be true that I only have TT's word,but I can't see what she has to gain by lying, Lardarse, but you must admit you are prone to being a bit heavy fisted in your comments at times. Shouting someone down isn't very positive.

I'm currently back on SW after regaining some of my lost weight, eating healthily, plentifully and feeling good, not exercising as I'm viral at mo but I know it will work, even if I don't exercise. I also know it will work better when I'm well and able to exercise gain

I don't want to encourage a slanging match 

TT one thought which I think has already been mentioned is it wort heing referrd to a dietician via your GP