Can't lose weight, what is wrong with me?

Comments

• Thanks Sass! I know you're right just didn't want some fabulously fast runner reading my post and laughing at me 'only' managing 3.92km and thinking it was fast. It is fast for me just now and I'm sure it would be fast for a lot of people carrying 5 stone of excess weight. (Not 5.5 stone any more though)

TT ;0)

• Weightloss last week was 2.6lb.

Been busy all weekend with mini Tangy as she turned 13 yesterday, so had sleepover and lunch with her friends and lots of visitors over last few days.

Diet still going well, ate what I liked on Saturday and just enjoyed lunch and sleepover. Although I had 1770 cals all in and had ran 7.59 km in the morning so still a good day calorie wise, even if not the 1000cals I have been eating recently.

TT ;0)

• Yesterday I had Toast and tomato for breakfast.

Cream cheese, smoked salmon and cucumber sandwich for lunch.

Whiting, carrots, green beans, homemade salsa and mashed potato for dinner.

A fresh cream and jam doughnut for snack. ( Not what I would normally eat but hubby brought them home and I had loads of calories left so decided it wouldn't do any harm as an occasional treat)

A banana for supper.

Totals for day - 932cals, 27g fat, 111g carbs, 55g protein.

Ran 3.75km -approx 320cals and walked 5.15km -approx  381cals.

TT ;0)

• Thats the thing TT, you have to allow yourself a treat now and again. It only becomes a problem when you slip into allowing these treats every day. Downward spiral then starts. There is one fitness advisor who suggests that you should be ultra strict 6 days of the week diet-wise and fitness-wise. Then on one day a week rest and eat what you want.
  • I'm half way there then WG. I go to my Dad's every second Sunday and eat what he cooks and have a chocolate biscuit with my many many cups of coffee (he is a tea Jenny, the kettle is never off).

Breakfast today was, yes you've guessed it, toast and tomato. Going to have porridge tomorrow, but I do really like toast and tomato.

Lunch was a crustless light choice quiche with the leftover homemade salsa.

Afternoon snack was an apple.

Dinner was a quarter of a ham & pineapple pizza (a fugitive from the sleepover), 4 dough balls with a little garlic butter, corn on the cob and a salad.

Supper was a shape yoghurt and a pot of fruit.

Walked 10.09 km with the pram this afternoon, was lovely teeny tangy slept for the whole 2 hours, she loves going for walks in the pram. Get's all excited and rushes for her fleece when I say we are going for a walk after lunch. The only shame is that I walk past a pond with ducks and swans etc and fields of cows and she sleeps the whole time and never gets to see them.

Totals for the day- 983calories eaten, 24g of fat, 148g carbohydrate and 43g of protein.

Have been very surprised at how easy it has been to stick to 1000 calories. Haven't been hungry at all and haven't had to eat any differently from rest of family. Just maybe have more vegetables/salad than them and smaller portions of mash/pasta/rice etc. Haven't been moody or tired or had heavy legs while running.

TT ;0)

• Food today:-

Breakfast- porridge with blueberries

Lunch- Ham, mustard, tomato, cucumber & lettuce sandwich

Dinner- Spaghetti bolognese with wholegrain pasta

Supper- 2 slice of toast and peanut butter

Totals = 1009 calories, 23g fat, 126g carbs & 69g protein

Walked 5.57km, didn't get for planned run so will have to run tomorrow when get back from the zoo.

TT ;0)

• Have a query: How do they arrive at the 3500cals equals 1lb weightloss?

By my calculations 1lb of fat has 4077calories, therefore you would need a deficit of more than 4077calories to lose 1lb of fat.

TT ;0)

• You're confusing body fat with food fat.

It is commonly said that a gram of fat contains 9 calories. But there are 454 grams in a pound, and 9 x 454 = 4086 calories, not 3500.

BUT body fat contains not only fat, but also other substances including protein, connective tissue, and water, unlike food fat.  Looking at it another way, 3,500 / 454 = 7.7 calories. So, a gram of body fat contains only 7.7 calories versus the 9 calories found in pure fat. It's easy to see that there should be a difference when you consider that body fat contains water, which has no calories.

Ergo it's 3500 calories per pound figure when discussing fat "burned" by activity, and the 9 calories per gram figure when discussing the nutritional fat content of food.

capish?

• Only 1lb off this week, but an inch off waist and 3/4 inch off hips, so can't grumble at that. Also a couple of months ago it took me six weeks to lose 0.8lb so 1lb in a week is big improvement on that.

Ran 8km today and did it on my own as running buddy is down at Knebworth this weekend. Got over 600calories left for this evening as decided last week I would have 1500cals on a Saturday, to allow for weekend treat without feeling guilty about it. Can't decide what to have though.

TT;0)

• Lost 12lbs since 14th July and all going well. Am now having 1000calories plus whatever I earn in exercise. Ran 30 mins this morning and walked for an hour in the afternoon so have 1669 calories for today. Have 550 calories left for supper.

Have reached the two stone off mark since deciding to lose the weight in January, so having a day out with running buddy soon to celebrate. Going to go for a run, then a swim, then lunch and cinema. Will be longest I have been away from teeny Tangy since she was born15 months ago.

Long run up to 70 minutes now and have introduced an interval run on a Wednesday morning. Losing lots of inches and getting into clothes I haven't worn in over 2 years.

Really looking forward to next Spring and being slim and fit again and being able to wear all the lovely smaller sized clothes I have packed away in boxes.

TT ;0)

• Well done TT. Isn't amazing how things have suddenly started moving in the right direction considering how frustrated you were about it all about 4 weeks ago!!!
  • I know WG, cutting my calories dramatically for those few weeks just seemed to give me a boost. I now feel like I am eating loads on an average of 1500cals a day. And 12lbs in five weeks is a much better rate of weightloss then I was getting before, I will be happy with around 10 lbs every five weeks so hopefully I can manage that. Have gotten into a nice routine of running in the mornings again and have plan in place for increasing long run and interval run. Would like to build up to running for two hours on a Saturday morning again and build Wednesday's interval run up to an hour.

TT ;0)

• Did 20 minutes on the exercise bike tonight, haven't been on the thing for two years so was pleasantly surprised that running fitness seems to transfer well to exercise bike. Could have easily kept going longer than 20 minutes but have interval run in the morning so don't want to overdo it and give myself sore legs, having not been on the bike for so long.

Have over 600 calories left for supper. Having trouble eating all my calories some days and don't want to be forcing myself to eat when not hungry, nor do I want to be eating unhealthy foods just to get the extra calories. Suggestions for higher calorie foods for supper that are good for you and come in small packages welcome.

All I can think of is nuts and seeds!

TT ;0)

• I think mango is quite high in calories as far as fruit goes.

As you say, nuts and seeds seem to be the high calorie good foods....

• Suppose there is oatcakes and houmous and wholemeal toast with banana and peanut butter ( I buy the no added sugar whole earth stuff).

Opted for weetabix with dried cranberries and total yoghurt followed by a hot chocolate and 3 ginger oatcakes for tonight's supper.

TT ;0)

• I notice some people said that thing about "if you don't eat enough, it makes it harder to lose weight".

I can't see any scientific explanation for that. If anyone can point me to a paper in a proper journal where such an effect has ever been documented, I'd be very grateful. 

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

The "scientific explanation" is that calorie restriction can lead to reduced resting /basal metabolic rate ... which consequently makes weight-loss more difficult.

Apfelbaum M, Bostsarron J, Lacatis D. Effect of caloric restriction and excessive caloric intake on energy expenditure. Am J Clin Nutr 197 l;24: 1405-9. 

Garrow JS, Durrant ML, Mann 5, Stalley SF, Warwick PM. Factors determining weight loss in obese patients in a metabolic ward. mt J Obes 1978;2: 441-7. 

Bray GA. Effect of caloric restriction on energy expenditure in obese patients.Lancet l969;2:397-9. 

Garrow JS. Thermogenesis and obesity in man. In: Bjorntorp P. Cairella M, Howard AN, eds. Recent advances in obesity research. Vol IIILondon: JohnLibbey 1981:208-13. 

Keys A, Brozek J, Henschel A, Mickelsen 0, Taylor HL. The biology of human starvation. Minneapolis,MN: University of Minnesota Press, 1950. 

Grande F, Anderson J, Keys A. Changes of basal metabolic rate in man in semistarvation and refeeding. J AppI Physiol 1958;l 230-8. 

Dore C, Hesp R, Wilkins D, Garrow JS. Prediction of energy requirements of obese patients after massive weight loss. Hum Nutr Clin Nutr l982;36C:4l-8. 

Welle L, Amatruda JM, Forbes GB, Lockwood DH. Resting metabolic rates of obese women after rapid weight loss. J Clin Endocrinol Metab l984;59:4 1-4. 

• Yeah, but facts can be used to prove anything! (Homer Simpson)
  • LOL!

I like that one.

Hi Mikefrog! Nice to see you hopping in for a visit. Hope all is well with you?

My body seems to get stuck in a rut and cutting calories for a few weeks seems to kick start it again. I'm eating same amount of calories now as I was first six months of the year and weight is coming off at an average of 2-3lb a week, whereas i was only losing average of 2lb a month in first six months of year. 

TT ;0)

• Another 2.4lb off this week, woohoo!

Ran over 9km this morning and walked 5km with buggy this afternoon, so got huge amount of calories to eat today. Have stocked up on hoummous, oatcakes and mixed nuts. May even treat myself to a couple of glasses of wine and maybe even some dark chocolate. Have developed the ability to measure out 125ml glasses of wine and stick to only 2 glasses, hubby drinks the rest of bottle though so not so good for him (or as he would see it FANTASTIC).

Have gotten quite addicted to my exercise now which is the place I like to be. Have used exercise bike 3 times this week, Ran 4 times and walked for at least an hour every day except Wednesday ( was at my Aunt's all day visiting and although I walk no matter what the weather no one else shares my enthusiasm, so she wasn't up for a walk in the rain). But I did my interval run on Wednesday morning and 5 miles on the exercise bike in the evening.

Just waiting for a yoga program to come on at 4pm to see if it's any good. I used to have a vidoe I really liked but it got all fuzzy and it wasn't available on DVD. I got a DVD by the same person but just didn't like it the same. Hopefully this program on the fitness channel will be good.

TT ;0)

• Officially into the 100's, 198lb this morning. 36lb lost and 58 lb to go.

Still walking 5-10km every day and running 4 times a week. Did a 10km race last week, my worst race time ever of 66mins 23 secs but over the moon cos it was 8 minutes faster than I had managed to run 10km since having teeny tangy. Off out for an 80minute run today and usually do an easy 5km walk in afternoon to loosen legs up.

TT ;0)

• The yoga on  Saturday was a big no no, kneeling down after my long run just aint gonna happen image.

TT ;0)

• Well done. I haven't read the whole thread, but I did read the original post when you seemed to be in despair. I'm not sure how you've managed to get to a state where you are doing what you wanted i.e. losing 2-3 pounds a week.

Sorry to be lazy, but to stop me reading though the whole thread, what changed that made the difference?
  • She stopped eating cakes! image

Well done TT. Really pleased it's happening!

• RC- I went on a really calorie restricted diet for about 4 weeks I think it was, I was only eating 1000cals a day and eating 6 times a day and really strict about my water intake. Seemed to kick start things again and I then upped my calorie intake to 1000cals plus whatever I earn in exercise. So I'm averaging about 1750cals a day now. I walk every day 5 to 10km and run 4 times a week. My 30 min runs are around 4.25km just now and my long run on a Saturday is up to 11km.

I seem to get two weeks where I lose only 1- 2 lb a week and then two weeks where I lose 2-3lb a week, assuming it to do with hormone fluctuations affecting fluid levels. But I am very happy with rate of weightloss now and exercise levels are fitting in well with work and family. I am still very strict about keeping a food diary and weighing all my food but I let myself go over my calorie limit occassionally if I am hungry, but that rarely happens as I am eating loads of fruit and veg and don't get hungry. Only thing I struggle with at moment is keeping my fluid intake up, it is still a real chore and hasn't become second nature like everything else.

TT ;0)

• Glad you found something that worked.

As for fluid intake, yes this can be a chore. Personally, I find drinking water all day to be very boring. I've had better luck with fruit squash (with no added sugar). If I want to drink, say 2 litres a day, I'll make up a 2L bottle and stick it in the fridge door so that I can't miss it.. Seems much easier when you have the right amount in a separate container. I also developed quite a liking for speciality tea like 'white tea' and 'yerba mate' which I found easy to drink in large mugs, and it all counts towards fluid intake.

All that said, I've put on a lot of weight again since April, when I did a marathon, so it looks like it's time to start over again -- this time with the firm intention of not slipping back again next summer, as I tend to do.

• A good diluting juice is McB's, it comes in about 4 or 5 different flavour and is SUGAR FREE, only place I've ever found it though is Asda and I don't shop in Asda so have to make a special trip just to get the juice. I do the huge mug thing too, tend to drink decaff coffee but I do like decaff earl grey and redbush tea as well so may have some of that to get me drinking more again. Haven't tried white tea or yerba mate will have to have a look out for them.

Hope the weight loss goes to plan for you, does get quite exhausting some times just having to constantly keep it in check and not being able to just stay thin without having to think about it all the time. But that's the hand I was dealt so just have to get on with it.

TT ;0)

• Try a corset diet. This will help you reduce the size of the stomach since you cannot eat large portions. It is harmless and will make the waist beautiful. I like that such a diet does not require large expenditures.