On race day - how much faster on the bike?

2»

Comments

• Yeah, I remember talking about those to you, it's a shame people don't do them. But as you say, they are too tough for the fun runners on here imageimage

• AndrewSmith wrote (see)
    mellifera wrote (see)
    my point about the mara is not about how much you walk per se but about the difference between your IM mara and what you would do for a stand alone mara on the same day (same fitness). that difference is all about the effect the bike has had.

No it is not just about that, it is about how you train to run off the bike as well. Too many people do not apply themselves to running off the bike and think a few little brick sessions will do or do fast 10k after a bike sessions then think it will prepare them. Look at the run splits for many people and you see a big slide in times, that should not happen if you train to run off the bike properly.

The whole culture of 'it's all about the bike' is wrong. It is a triathlon not a bike race.

I looked at the pirate run splits from France and they're really embarrasing.  I guess the bike is teh most exciting bit so perhaps the run gets ignored a little.

anyway, smithy/melli - how do you train to run off the bike properly? just this: "i think we probably agree on that! i know you are also in favour of long bricks (3-4hours on the bike+1.5-2.5hr run). these really find you out!"?

smithy - i remember you mentioning your ultra running had taught you to burn brown fat or something?  

• AndrewSmith wrote (see)

Yeah, I remember talking about those to you, it's a shame people don't do them. But as you say, they are too tough for the fun runners on here imageimage

Yes but not everyone wants to eek out every second of their potential, theyre maybe happy to knock off 30 minutes and get round enjoying the race.  Enjoyment is the factor which drives me, not times though I know ive already said I want to try and go a bit quicker.
  • Going back to the peer pressure impact and/or riding in groups - agree with Popsider. I was absolutely astonished at how much faster I was able to cycle in a group of people I perceived to be better than me and how long I was able to keep it up.   Have just renewed my Serpentine membership and they have group rides from Richmond Park so will give them a go.
  • I can't believe I got a bite from Carl, you are obviously still drunk imageimageimage
  • my run splits are almost perfectly even image

they're all equally slow lol! imageimage

• what's your running background ditchy?  done lots of marathons?
  • lol, three, and a baby ultra...all injured in various different and interesting ways....hence being very happy with a slow limping run/walk, but rubbish at anything speedier! image
  • what makes you think i don't enjoy the race carl? i love IM and HIM racing, tis a great day out. absolutely i agree that not everyone wants to train hard to go as fast as they can - there are plenty of other things worthwhile in life. everyone gets to chose how much they put in. i'm just suggesting what i think are good ways to train, not what the best way to run your life image
    as it happens, i think enjoying the race might be easier if you are fitter - at least that's how I've found it. perhaps i'm not trying hard enough on the day!

JD yes, but you have to build up to it.
  • JD, the thing that makes the top performers the top is their ability to burn fat at a higher intensity. Now a lot of that may be genetic but it is one of those things you can train.

People do short bricks when they are well fuelled and invariably do them at the wrong intensity because they can. Then crash and burn on race day after a good first 10k or just suffer from the run start.

If you are depleted of most of your carbs and only using what you are eating and your fat stores to keep moving, then you are in the same position as you would be getting off the bike in an IM. Your body adapts to specific stresses and if you do not simulate them in training there is no way it can adapt and come race day it will react negatively. This also goes for the way it feels to run long after a long bike, it is just not the same as a short run and having experience of that makes it easier to deal with.

There is another benefit of exercising in a depleted way and it is that it stimulates mitochndrial production which as we all know are the powerhouses behind any aerobic performance. The science is still a bit grey on the mechanism but it is a proven measureable result, confirming something pro cyclists have known for decades but which sport scientists have always poo poo'd up till now.

• benefit of roads was outweighed by feeling shit after the swim for me... LOL
  • Exactly, that is why it is not all about the bike image 

I think this needs a new thread image

• so what's the training session then?  bonk ride and run?
  • Mellifera, I do enjoy the race, I enjoy it tremedously image
  • JD, the old cyclist way was to do a long ride, not fuel much after and then go out the next morning with no carbs at all, not even a sugar in your tea or coffee and ride hard till you blew up.

I read about a more scientific approach recently which said

* Have a low-carbohydrate meal prior to the session and then beginning the workout with 45-60 minutes of low-intensity, steady cycling at around 70 percent of your VO2 max (a level where you can still breathe through your nose, with your mouth shut).

* After your glycogen is sufficiently depleted, switch to intervals of five minutes' hard exercise with a minute of rest in between.

I think to be honest the best way is to avoid blowing up (I just like that feeling image) and try to keep on the limit without going over.