Paris Marathon 2010

Comments

• Wow..  FastEngineer..  that is really good, well done..!  image   There's an Iron Man in you just waiting to burst out....!

• fab work - I agree with DV fastengineer image.

DV take it asy 12.5water temp is cold!!  re doing another swim next weekend?

• DV you must be mad.  12.5 degrees?? No wonder you were getting cramp and hypothermia.  You take care.

FE that's an awsome time. Well done!

PF well done on the run this morning.

I did 5 miles just down the A6 and back (forgot to mention earlier) at 8:30am I've not been following the RW schedule, just doing my own thing for now as I more or less know what I should be doing. The only thing I've missed out this week was the hill session but as all my runs are hilly anyway it shouldn't make much difference for one week.

I fell asleep this afternoon in front of the settee and when I awoke to the sound of loud trumpets on the TV (world cup) noticed it was pouring down and my feather sleeping bag was wet throughimage. It's in the dryer now, but I hate getting it wet because it takes ages to get the feathers dry and plumped up.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

''  Dragged myself round the course in 1:43 though,''....<----That's my boy!  image

5 k , in 28+ mins, for me...* Stop sniggering, at the back....*  It was hard! Uphill to 3k, trail and road...Seriously considering joining a club. ( Well, I just have to eat well, relax and outlive the other old biddies...)

DV,  errr...Respect!

• ATM:  admiration to you from me - what a fab girly, less of the old biddie please you are but a spring chicken!!!  Why are you thinking about joining a club? 
  • ATM you make me feel old with your youthful exuberance. As for DV, the guy is just beyond compare...

My hip is a bit rough this evening after stiffening up (again, no sniggering...), but that's to be expected. According to ukresults, I did a bit better than expected - I failed to start my watch on time so I went from gun time. Chip time came in at 1:41! HappyEngineer most certainly. FastEngineer, I'm getting there...

Kat... the horse bites one can sympathise with. Having horses in the family, some of the bites I've received/seen are 'orrid!!

• SE - well done on your time, that is awesome.

DV - glad to hear you are happy with your progress, all going in the right direction.

TD - the british fathers day is 20th June.

Kat - sounds like a fun weekend image hope the leg gets better.

I am back now from London. Had a wonderful weekend with marc, arrived friday night about 9pm to pizza cooked from scratch, gorgeous flowers - my favourite, pink lillies (i hadn't told him) and had a very romantic evening, and he bought me a gorgeous bracelet from his hols in barcelona - lots of brownie points for finchy this weekend. I went to watch the game whilst he was at work on saturday, i loved the atmosphere but i am not one for standing up whilst watching something and I couldnt really see the screen. I would say i would watch them from the comfort of my own home, but quite a lot of the games are whilst i am on holiday - going with 4 boys = watching them all either in the hotel or nearest pub! then we just chilled out this morning before he went to work. I have pointed out to him that he has been naughty and not posted on the forum for a few weeks, so you should hear (read) a marc update soon i think. (if you don't. i clearly dont wear the trousers in our relationship yet image )

I bought Dean Karnze book - 50 50 to read on my hols. hopefully that will be a good read.

more excitingly, i have a running buddy!! there is a lady at work doing her first half marathon in sept and is into running (she has gone from a size 18 to 12 in like a year!), she is slightly slower than me, she is aiming for 2hrs in the half, whereas my pb is 1.44 but i dont really care. I think having a running buddy will help keep me motivated and also hopefully reduce my dependence on music. although i am already worrying about how much i should talk on the run. is there running talking ediqute?? like i am not good with silences in any convo, so i tend to just keep talking to fill the silence!!! but guessing that maybe isnt expected in running. plus i find it really hard to breath and talk at the same time when i am running. plus its that whole thing, like neither one wants to run too fast or too slow for the other one. how exciting!!! we are going on tuesday from work. we already have had quite a few running chats at work, the nutrition side is clearly important to her so i am trying to learn from her. she takes protein shakes, she is bringing me some next week so i can see if i like it.

already far too high expectations of me in the boat race. went to one of the girls leaving drinks at work and in front of everyone my boss went oh gem will be our best rower, coz she is mega fit as she runs marathons! i was just like erm, there is a slight difference! I have no coordination whatsoever. think i might have to start using the rowing machine at work to get the 'guns' in shape. still got to july 17th to get in shape.

i am going to stop rambling now, glad to hear everyone had a good weekend.
  • oh and TD I wasn't offended by your comment - i loves dogs, so i think that is cute that it is called gem - clearly an awesome name image
  • Nice to hear some more banter on the thread. Sounds like a good w/e with late night excited yoofs around fires, freezin' your feet off in Dover harbour, a nice little half from GASJ-Engineer* on bad fuel. And ATM - we could never call you an old biddie because you just aren't grumpy enough to get there.

* Get A Summer Job

I worked out my training plan for Amsterdam mara this w/e. In total, it calls for 1,750km (1100 miles) of running. Can't see myself sticking to that. I pulled out over 1,000kms for Paris, but this is a huge step up. Today is Day 1 - I like it - rest day.

• Slow Engineer has a summer job, thank you very much. image
  • Morning everyone,

Done the southend half marathon yesterday, very hot but managed a PB of 1hour 43mins 50 secs

very pleased

• Well done Duncanimage.  Did they still start it at 10am?  Always felt that should move the start to 9am - much better temperature at that time of day.

Did 45mins of yoga this morning to stretch out the legs after the trott yesterday, then walked the dogs in rain, hail and then sun!!  At one point thought it would be better if I just had a swim suit on as wet denin shorts are never a good idea!!  But didn't succumb to the tempation to take them off - didn't want to scare the natives!!

Coastal trott with the Regster tomorrow morning after the beach walk!

Good luck with that mileage TD - if anyone can do it you can!

• Well done Duncan - awesome time. Did you manage to fix the bleeding issue?
  • Yea no bleeding nipples for me, bit of vas done the trick.

The start was 10.24, it was delayed for 24 minutes

• Well that's taken me an age to catch up (the entire second half of Holland v Denmark in fact!), an incredible amount of superb and ridiculous achievements going on - from the Arranman DV to the super speedy Duncan, well done all.

Unfortunately, due to laziness, a very messy (and expensive) stag do, laziness and the world cup - oh and some laziness, I've been less Finchy Stryder and more Finchy Bloater!  Gemster has been very kind to say I've not put on any weight, but she's obviously a very good fibber!  But the warm up to Venice Marathon training starts this week, with training proper planned to start next week  image

With the World Cup starting, work has gone mental - we've sent god knows how man people to South Africa to do our "World Cup Report" shows every day, but the bloody technology is letting us down and means they have to be produced from here in London.  That all equals a hell of a lot more work for everyone.  And we can't even show the goals!

Speaking of which, with a good few of the big teams having played now...who's everyones pick for the trophy?

• No doubt about it, Team USA. They've got voodoo on their side (how else would you explain that goal?!!)

You paint a pretty picture Fi:

Princess Fiona wrote (see)
    At one point thought it would be better if I just had a swim suit on as wet denin shorts are never a good idea!! 

Good luck with that mileage TD - if anyone can do it you can!

I would have said that DV or OO would be the endurance legends on this thread.  Do you think you'll ever get dizzy doing long runs on Jersey?

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

'Evening, all.

Well done, Duncan! What's next on your racing calendar?

Finchy, I'll be joining you next Monday on ' Venice Plan'.Step one, for me, has to be cutting out croissants etc..I cannot take all this lard withme to Italy.. Finn's registered, too. I don't suppose anyone will mind if we have a Venice sub-thread , here, on the Paris thread...image

• TD:  I'm getting dizzy at the thougt of covering 1100km on Jersey - it is 43mile circuit of the entire island!! 

Am doing the Plemont to Greve de Leqc coastal path tomorrow - very hilly with lots of steps I will count every one!!  If any of you are bored look it up on google earth - it is truly stunning!! If any of you fancy a "training" weekend in jersey - just let me knowimage.

ATM:  the more sub-threads the better I do feel!!!  When is Venice Marathon exactly?

• Fi - just run some star shapes - out to the coast, into the middle, back out to the coast along a bit, back to the middle...
  • The Venice marathon is 132 days and counting....bugger.  Best start doing some running if I want the PB I crave so much!  Going for a schedule from "Advanced Marathoning" this time - I believe a la Tricky Dicky - and if its good enough for our TD...

ATM - as one of just a couple of us Venice-rs, have you booked flights yet - I'm not sure I dare going BA yet!

So we've got shout outs for USA and Spain - I remain an optimist and I'm saying Holland!  Actually in all seriousness, this is the most excited I've been about a World Cup since 1990 - yes i do remember it - and i actually think we can win it.  Italy were awful tonight, Holland shoddy today, only the Germans are a threat thus far - so all at once...COME ON ENGLAND!

• TD and I are going to set out cones across Jersey, resemblant of a giant SAQ course.
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

'morning, all.Fabulous day, here, so I got up early and biked to the pool...* 'got that lovely smug feeling...*

Finchey, I've booked my flights but I'm going, cheapo, to Bergamo and then getting the train ..I'd love to fly direct to Marco Polo and and get the vaporetto across the lagoon...just for the view...but it would mean an overnight stay at Edinburgh and then the train back to Mestre.So, plane 'n' high-speed train, it is.No PB goal, for me, though. I want to get to Stra uninjured and ready to run. And I want to have a good look around me over those last 5k. Ach, Paris 2011 will be the one * I still have some' Sub-4 Ladies:licked into shape by TD' T-shirts up for the winning, ladies.....

Fiona, I was thinking about going along to the club for their training sessions.Might make me work. *On the other hand, it might be humiliating! * I don't fancy doing my long runs in a group..Gem, having a running-buddy is brilliant. I hope you get on and  run well together...Different speeds etc won't matter.You don't have to stay together joined at the hip..just knowing that someone else is around, doing the same, distance  is really encouraging.I wonder if my running-buddy can be persuaded to go along to the local club...? It's got to be on our list of ' now or never' things to try..* When I was about 50, I played, in a string quartet, in a couple of pubs, in Paris...Our first gig was humiliating ...bigtime.We were rubbish. Those who heard us will never forget it...We tried to leave by the Fire Escape to avoid the walk of shame to the door. . How bad can watching all the club-runners run away from us be? image*

• Slow Engineer:  SAQ course?

TD:  having looked at the map of Jersey, I could do heart shaped runs, a 5 point star, even an 8 point star, may even try and may out a polytetrahedron or even a dodecahedron!!!!image

The running club here in Jersey - Spartans is very serious so I have chickened out of joining - also only meeting in the evenings I like trotting during the day!!   Go for it I say ATM.

• remember everyone it is:

E    N    Ger    L    A    N    D!!

And remember italy started slow in the last world cup and then went on to win it, it is best not to peak too soon!!! 

• ATM - I will be doing my damdest to get one of those shirts next year in Paris.

I think that is awesome that you did that, you shouldn't be embarrassed. I know I am only 22 but there are a hell of a lot of things I want get done in my life and you never know when that sorry day is coming, so best get cracking! I think you should play the guitar next image and i reckon you should go along to the club, got nothing to lose.

• France started slow last world cup and ground to a halt.  Perhaps we've already seen England's best performance?!?!

• TD:  where has your positivity gone!!  Also where are the Belguims!!!  Watching Portugal at the moment is not too great either, the Cote d'Ivori seem to have the nicest legs of the tournament so far!!

It is what I would call and excellent Kite Flying day here in Jersey, or if you were Winnie the Pooh - a Blustery day.  Did the 4.5mile coastal trott and nearly got blown away - also had to contend with two classes of school children - primary age thank goodness who cheerred as I trotted past, very sweet.  took another wrong turn at the end and ended up having to run UP the wiggley hill so the 4.5 miler turned into a 5 miler.  Hills are definitely something I am getting used to here!!

• Belgium are ranked somewhere near Scotland when it comes to football.  National pride is very low around here. There was a general election last weekend (if you didn't notice!) and the Flemish nationalists won a slight increase, meaning that there will be more tension towards separation between the Dutch and French speaking cultures.

I'm positive, just not about England's chances of winning the trophy. But I'd LOVE to be proved wrong!

MrsTD is away in England doing an exam at the moment and I'm running house/ kids on my own. Which is fine, except work is ridiculously busy right now. Seems that anything which is either urgent or important just has to come my way, while I'm seeing other colleagues swan off at 5pm, I'm still hanging around at 11pm. Grrr. Day 3 of new training schedule - miles run = 0.