Paris Marathon 2010

Comments

• TD:  so you mean you are multi tasking good on youimage.   Don't you find that is always the way thought  just need more hours in the day!!  When does Mrs TD get home, wishing her luck in her exams.  That new training schedule sounds interestingimage.  I think england will be in the semi finals only downside on that is that the probably will be playing against Spain!!!

Another blustery day here - but getting warmer.  Yoga for me today.  Am back in blighty this weekend for my nephew's 18th birthday, so looking forward to seeing Ed (Master PF) and my mum.  Strange thing is Mr PF has been in Munich since sunday and not back until late thursday evening then I fly out 9am saturday leaving him and Ms PF in Jersey.  Going to be very odd without having either of them with me.

• TD - good luck to your wife. I pulled out south africa in our staff sweep, clearly not winning the £40. well done on the multitasking.

well last nights run was amazing!! image it was so amazing i did a little jump/dance/hand clap combo in excitment. we ran around the resviour at brackmills and i ran along a mummy sheep and a lamb!! a lamb - how cool is that. then we ran near ducklings too. it was mental. so much fun, like i would never in a million years have had a run like that in london. Extended the time of my run too and my knee seems okay, we walked quite bit so think it was about 40 mins run. Really enjoying having someone to talk to about running, she is quite a bit slower than me but i dont care, she seems really keen to get faster and doing longer distances. She is studying for exams so will only be a fortnightly thing, but that is all cool. running in the countryside is quite possible one of the best experiences ever!! gem and the country....

Had a very very blonde moment at work today which everyone heard (luckily one of the MD's seemed amused and said he loves my blonde moments (already had a few) so working in my favour atm) so......i was moaning about how the other girl going on my holiday does no exercise and eats loads yet looks in shape and super skinny (and has boobs), then someone said well it is just a case of dressing well and their make up......to which i responded, but you can't wear make up on your body though........to which everyone heard and she was like, no your genetics!! oopsee.

• Gemster:  oh blonde moments - they are so familiar with out them I would not be me - and I'm a brunette - I hate to tell you but they will just increase in number the older you get!!  I used to get them during lessons and refered to them as such to the children so much so that at a parent evening a mum relayed the story to me of her 8 year old daughter calling her to her bedroom at about 8,30pm on mum appearing in the doorway she looked at her very sheepishly and said "oh sorry mum I forget what I needed - oh well I was having a blonde moment"!!  The mum told me that she didn't know where that came from - I was very good and admitted that it was most likely me!!  Luckily she laughed!!  Happens to us all - much more than we like to admitimage.
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

I've just read thison the website for the Arran Half-Marathon. It made me laugh....

Please note that this race takes place on country roads which will not be closed to traffic. It is vital that all runners are able to hear approaching road vehicles. Thus, in common with many similar races, Ipods and any other devices which require the use of earphones will not be permitted. Failure to follow this rule may lead to death. Dead or alive, runners with earphones will be disqualified.

• That's funny ATM.

I've got Brazil and England in two different draws and although Brazil have won it 5 times before, I'm not sure they can pull it off this time.  I don't think the Adidas ball is helping (my point in question the Germans have been using this for the past 6 months and they won their game 4-0 albeit to Australia). We play with a Nike ball which has a different feel to it and I think some of the teams are finding this a disadvantage. But anyway they're paid enough so maybe they should be able to cope.

It might just help England if they got off the golf course and started putting more football practice hours in!!

Absolutely sick of hearing those voovoo zalers or whatever they're called.

Anyway this isn't a football thread so here's what I've done this week towards Berlin.  Speed session on the track 4x5mins reps with 2min rest then 4x200m relays round the track with my mate Shelley. Tuesday rest, today hill work on the treadie then strength/core in the gym with PT. Running with the club tomorrow, rest Friday, long run Saturday.

TD hope your mrs does well in her exam and good luck multi-tasking.  Nice to know we women are missed sometimes.

• Katb - MrsTD is always missed and it isn't because we value her for her domestic efforts.  A few years ago she was away on a course in the UK for 9 weeks.  Fortunately I was transitioning jobs at work so I wasn't busy and could cope with everything.  We just wanted her back because she's lovely! image

Right now I'm absurdly busy, so it's really different.  Things will become very calm in our household now though as her school (our girls go to the same one) finishes next week.  So hopefully I will be able to focus on work and running a bit more than I have been. 

Had a lovely summer evening run last night to get my Amsterdam campaign going - 18K. image

• Recovery 8K at lunchtime. Uh-huh. Anyone else on this thread doing any running these days?!

• I'm doing some. Been working my ass off in a real job, moving house, building a gym, and running. So the plan has suffered a little. Hitting the bike tonight as I'm eating late. Then depending how I feel might take it outside for some summer niiiiiiiiiiights.

Starting the P&D on Monday, though have considered altering it a little in the build-up to the big day, as I've seen a few plans in my new copy of Lore of Running that I might have a look at!

If I make a spreadsheet, I'll let you know TD image

Also... what are we doing on the second page?!
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

*Wella, wella, wella..uh! Tell me more, tell me more, tell me more...  *

I ve been doing 5k jogs, in brilliant sunshine... image.  Have also been out on the bike.. Monday's the day, plan-wise..!

• I've just got back from a run TD.  We did the route for the Astley Park 4.4m race tonight as planned.  Boy was it hot.  Thank goodness we got a bit of relief from the sun whilst running through the woods.  It's a lovely route, but very very hilly.  You start off on a steep incline and it just seems to go up and up from there to the end of the park.  From there is a steepish downhill section then it's up again and round for a second lap. The killer is the last hill which is the same as the first.  Absolutely cream crackered now. I'm ashamed to say it took me 49 minutes so I'll definitely be marshalling in the real one.

SE you'll have to let us know what the Lore of Running is like. Is it worth getting a copy?

• http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/173347/Gallery/garmin.jpg

Here's a copy of my run now can anyone tell me please what all the gumpf at the top means? - the zones bit.
  • Kat, it is a fantastic reference. I would say it is nigh impossible to sit and read at length, though as a general interest book, the amount of information you get for your money is beyond belief.
  • SE is posting from his bike, which is yet to go in the gym!
  • SlowEngineer wrote (see)
     the amount of information you get for your money is beyond belief.

Sounds like it is right up there on the top shelf with Readers Wives   image

• Mr PF back from his travels yesterday so a very happy priness hereimage.

TD:  I have been trotting - finally plucked up courage and did the Greve de Leqc coastal path, trotted from mine (Les Landes Common for those of you with google earth), meandering through the lanes to the coast - at this point all down all for 2.5 miles. then down track to path, then the hills began!!  At one point I counted 56 steps up a steep section, must admit to only managing 40 of those steps, but I had already completed 3 step sections between 20 and 39 each.  Very blustery but nice and sunny all the same.  Reached Plemont bay consider, only for a bout 2 seconds, continuing on the coastal path, but chikcened out and trotted home through the lanes.  Did the rounte 6.2 miles in 57 mins so very happy with that and even though hard - will be easy to see progress as next time will aim to do mone than 40 of the 59 steps!!

Katb: sounds like a lovely run - even though I have stunning scenery here am missing trotting through the woods!!  Don't marshal go for it!!  Have faith - may the force be with you!! (oh I'm becoming a yedi)!! 

• Katb - all that gumpf does have a meaning.  Basically, your Garmin has 10 programmed HR zones. When you run, it pays attention to your HR and can then calculate how far you ran in each HR zone.  This information can help you estimate how hard you were working on any one single run.  It has more value when this information is collected together over a programme and can be used to determine Fatigue levels.

Garmin Training Centre software or the Garmin Connect website don't really allow for this. I have plug-in to Sporttracks (Training Load) which gives some very interesting visualisation of fitness level compared to fatigue levels.  Great for planning a campaign towards a race and working out taper periods etc.  Maybe I can post a pic later.

• TD you're our techy guru! One of these days (if it ever reaches the top of my 'I need v I want' list) I'd like to get a garmin. The ones I've tried don't fit my skinny wrists but I've heard that wearing it over a sweatband is fine so I'd like to try that. One day.....

Excitingly I've just bought myself a car - woohoo! It's a red fiat500 and is awfully cute. I can't wait to go pick it up, after years of being grounded by trains I'll be able to go anywhere, any time yeah.

Oh and tomorrow I'm going to try my first run in 4 weeks. I'm a bit nervous but looking forward to it too, I've been a right grump lately. My physio has suggested a week of three runs, a 3, a 4 and another 3 and if that all goes okay I can build it up again from there. Fingers crossed. I'd really like to do another marathon in the autumn but don't know if it'll be possible.

Loving the lovely sun!
  • Keeping everything crossed for you Helfter!! 

Keep enjoying the sunimage

• Thanks TD.  I think that means that unless I have my HRM on the info isn't really telling me anything. I'll try it with the HRM on then and see what happens but I'll also try the site you suggested.  I'm really trying with this techno stuff, but much of it is beyond me.  You're so good at this sort of thing.
  • .....But not good at getting out of work on a Friday evening (1850). England footie game on soon and I'm stuck here in the office still (again!), plus MrsTD has arranged for us to go out to a dancing lesson tonight. Have been here since 0630 so don't really fancy it and I feel guilty about that. Grr.

• You can't go dancing when England are playing Tricky, it's illegal.
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

'Evening, all. What fabulous weather..

No running for me, today, TD, but 56k on the bike was lovely....image Great views.

Good luck with tomorrow's run, HS. * Getting to work is going to be MUCH easier for you, now. Great!*

Just off to a wee party in friends' garden..far, far away from the football...

• Apparently I DID have much more fun flamenco dancing, than if I'd stayed at home in front of the gogglebox.

Today, 8K recovery run, with the dog (in the photo below), in the woods. 24K tomorrow. Have fun, whatever you do, and just remember, there's always another world cup in 4 years so it's not the end of the world.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/345267/Gallery/Chili.JPG

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

http://www.rampantscotland.com/graphics/mcleod_ally1211a.jpg

Ain't that the truth, TD...  image

• TD You didn't say it was flemenco.  Wow, I'm impressed. Lovely dog,btw.

I couldn't watch that rubbish game on TV so turned over to a lovely concert from Vienna on BBC4 then watched Steve Winwood after it. 

I've got a 7 miler scheduled for today but my daughter wants us to take an old washing machine to the tip so I'm going to do it either later today or tomorrow morning.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Good day all. Apologies for absence, been busy at work and had friends visiting last weekend. They are both great runners but arrived ill after a couple of days in Paris so the weekend was stressed and I didn'r get to run with them. This week I've been travelling to Geneva so all rather busy. 2 week countdown to our Paris departure so also getting stressy and busy on account of that.

I've been keeping the mileage in the mid-20's. Today I ran 11 in 1:30. It was on my marathon route which I used to run 5 mins faster, then go on to add another 11 on the end, so the great have fallen somewhat. The hips are affecting every run but at least I can run, which is an improvement on a month ago. Hope you are all having a smashing w/end...

• Evening all, hope everyone is enjoying the footie, except for last night, anyway just to say im trying to keep up with everyone but not got much to say myself, 72 hours in with my cast on and fed up already but hey ho musnt complain ........ keep up the running everyone OO glad you are managing to do some running
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

thanks HG.Miserable I know but just think how much you are going to enjoy your running when the cast comes off.

Long drive to Newcastle today- 12 hours in the car...