Options

Paris Marathon 2010

Comments

• Options
    TD.. you can always take your lap top with you..  and keep your phone nearby at all times... 
  • Options

TD - I recommend you drop any laptops/phones/blackberrys into the swimming pool immediately on arrival otherwise I suspect that Mrs TD will be doing that for you!!  Handy tip - make sure you cook those snails first the shells can be quite crunchy..

OO - hope there is light at the end of the tunnel for you.  My doing 2 wks worth of work for 2 wks hols is well underway..

DV - excellent idea re Mrs DV.  Mr NGUG started running as well not sure if its a good thing or not as my Garmin keeps on going missing and my water bottles grrrimage  Prague is definitely on the "will think about it seriously" list.image

• Options

DV:  Prague on my radar also - don't know if this old body of mine could cope with 2 marathons in as many months!!!  Will have a discussion with hubbie once my fate for London has been decided and then make a decision between Prague and Paris. 

NGUG:  since number one son has started running and is doing the Windsor half with me I have noticed that my garmin also mysteriously has develped an ability to walk from its charger to number one sons bedroom all by itself!!!!!  I knew it was a clever gadget but how advanced is that!!!!

• Options

Update..  Mrs DV is definitely up for it...  it will be her first marathon  image

Hope you ladies will join us    image

• Options

NGUG - I've noticed a correlation between usage of comapny laptop and mobile phone, and err, lack of intimate relations with the lovely MrsTD. Now I remember DV writing in to the forum WHILST running through Paris, but the idea of mobile computing is just not that attractive to me.

No, AFAIC, the Youtwitosphere is going to have to survive without me for a couple of weeks.  If you feel like you are missing me, you can play this video! Happy running everyone. Tara.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    image F, you're a Tri cert'....or, at least, an ultra-attractive leg for a Tri relay.

DV, no way I'm doing Prague BUT , if you need a translator/help with the paperwork, I can volunteer Ms. ATM. Bookmark this offer image Czecho Republico is confuzckio...

OO,swap lives?

TD, take me! Take me!
  • Options
    5 mile club race tonight, want to go under 39 mins tonight, so just 4 seconds to take off PB from last saturady and it wont be crowded so im hopin that will help, if only the wind would go away, the last mile is execellent to run but tends to have a head windimage
  • Options
    FizziofinnFizziofinn ✭✭✭

Lots of beans and peppers JOhn and you might manage a tail wind too offset the headwind image

ATM pleading to  TD to take her take her? Blimey , all this lack of running is playing havoc with her libido methinksimage

• Options
    ATM wrote (see)
     TD, take me! Take me!

I'm not going to say anything...   

*snigger*

• Options
    its ok ive taken my zym catapult tablet, well see how that goes!!
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Well Friday came. Off to Blighty tomorrow to drop my girls at guide camp then night out with Mrs OO in the New Forest (Lyndhurst). I'm in the UK until Tuesday. I managed to sleep out early for a 12 miler this morning. That puts me in striking distance of a 30 mile week.

Nice hols. to all those lucky enough to be off on their way. Can't wait to hit Lake District next w/end! 

• Options
    wow im so happy!!! i knocked 1:13 off my pb for 5 miles!! 37:50 tonight, slow compared to some of you speed merchants but right now im very happy! i love this running lark today!!
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    Well done, John!Things are looking good... image

Have a great time, OO. *Seems everyone's off on jaunts this weekend.Ano/No/Kde je záchod...*
  • Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

gosh John!  I know how you feel!!

And OO, a 30 mile week, I remember them!  Might manage one come Februaryimage.

• Options

Am sitting here at my computer thinking whether I should go out for a quickie (no smutty comments any one - DV) 3 miler then do a 8 miler in the morning, or just not trott today and do either 9-10 in the morning.   Decisions, decisions!!!  It is nice and sunny so will probably go for 3 miler then 7/8 in the morning.

May well try a tri next year - its the trainnig that I don't fancy, but on a plus note it would make me do other things than running and yogaimage.  I can swim 600m comfortably, 1km at a push but slowly with little training - a new 25m swimming pool and olympic standard diving pool are  being built just up the road from me, completion next year, so once that is done there will be no excuse for me not to try a tri, with all the facilites on my door step!!  This is all in preparation for the Olympics.  The mountain biking for the Olympics is being done at the downs in hadleigh country park where I do my hill training (or should I say used to do my hill trainning).  I know you lot are amazed that there are any hills in essex!!!  For my sins I've agreed to run a hill session next thursday - that should be interesting wonder how the legs will cope with it!!  Oh well - still haven't made a decision probably wait till tomorrow now!!!

have a fun weekend and good holidays to all.

• Options
    After dithering about for about an hour - did first option, a 3 miles at a very easy 9mm, will now do 7 or 8 lsr in the morning!!!  Am now going to a dog walk with Reg by the sea - not that he is that keen, ran and hid when saw me in running gear, can't decide if he doesn't want to run with me or just thinks a look very silly in my running gearimage.  Hasn't realised that he is still not allowed to run with me due to damage to his joints when he was poorly - I know he is only a dog, but he is my baby and never argues with meimage!!  How sad am I.
  • Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    Defied lingering achilles to go for a 5 miler on the trails this morning, just about right distance.  An afternoon of flooring out the loft and book shopping beckons now...
  • Options
    FizziofinnFizziofinn ✭✭✭

Got up very  early to do my last long long run, and ended up stuck with desperate housework. 12.20 now and my legs are so sore from standing in the kitchen that I had to come on line for a rest.image Will brave it out later , in the rain and get it done.image
     Must look up mapmyrun for my last medium length run for next week when I will be in Cambridgeshire.

Wel done farty pants - the tablets must be brill ( and all the hard training). Super timeimage 

• Options

Hope that long run got done finn!!

Couldnt sleep last night, pain in left knee and maybe a high after the race but i was also very very warm, an after effect of a hard run, ive noticed before?

• Options

Just seen your time John - well doneimage!!

Hope you didn't get too wet and managed your last long run Fizz - am so impressed that you're doing another marathon, within 4 months of the last - go girl!!!

Am off on a trott have a good sunday!!

• Options
    FizziofinnFizziofinn ✭✭✭

had a bit of a dilemma last night. was going to post it on Dublin 09 thread but the feckin computer went off line and I lost the whole thing. Here is the nitty gritty as I am not rewriting it.

Ok here we go, easy and long runs are done at a recommended 70% working heart rate
    Recomended marathon pace is 75%

LSR and easy pace recommended for me is 10mm but I usually find that I can manage 9.30-9.40 and stay within or near 70%. On a long run I can do about 14 miles and then the 10mms tend to come back in as I tire a bit.

Plan for helsinki is to do a LSR pace  or near it so that I hang on for Dublin 10 weeks later. So last night I was going to do a 10mm 22 miler , especially as I could only manage to run 19 of the last 20 mile run. PROBLEM is ( ye all still awake?image) running at 9.30 mm last night was only about 63%. ie  Waaaaay faster for the same minimal effort. . Do I stick with the heart and go faster and see how long I can hold out until I am forced to slow a bit or do I stay with the pace and barely be making any effort?

last night I decided to stay with the heart at 65% and by mile 19 it had come up to about 70%. pace slowed down  to 9.40/9.50 /10mm by that stage.

Heart is fitter than the legs can cope with so do I  stay with what the legs are used to even though I am barely exerting myself?

• Options

thats a good one Finn- i dont like the hr method as so many other variables can mess your hr.keep the LSR slow, my mistake for paris was going to too fast on those, in helsinki? go with what feels good and dont worry about dublin, you have a long recovery period in between.

Step back week for me, only 6 easy miles this morning, legs only started to feel good after 4 1/2 milesand i flaked in the last two

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Finn, I think you've answered your own question, in that you're not maintaining a consistent pace through the run?

I would agree with john, keep it slow.  We all agonised over it so much training for Paris, but I learned to really keep it slow on the slow runs, and do the hard stuff in between.

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Sitting watching the Tour, full of nostalgia, can't wait for April!!

• Options
    mr puffy yurned over to it and got goosebumps!
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    flooring mr puffy-how are those knees? I ran twice today, 12 miles in the new forest this morning. Then 10 in my home town of Olney this evening-managed to get my 40 miles after all. Good to be back in blighty but devastated to discover the chippy is shut on Sunday!
  • Options

Wow OO Uk running New Forest v.pretty - loads of shops are shut on Sundayimage

Easy10km for me - felt like easy peasy and should be doing more just warmed up by the time I got home - love this song played several times on the wayimageimage

Mr NGUG convinced he has Swine Man Flu - just a cold me thinks...

• Options

Did a 6 miler yesterday in 3 x 2 mile stints, first slow and easy, 2nd fast(er) but not speedy!!!, 3rd steady.  streched between each 2 mile section.  Legs feel fab this am, but not trotting going to gym for some core work  yuk.  Horrible weather here this morning, precipitating extremely hard!!  6 miles for me in the morning - hopefully it won't be raining!!!

Fizz:  You've answered your own question there I think.  Let  your body lead the way  - we can get preoccupied by pace or HR, just go slow and steady, then enjoy!!!

Slow and steady my new mantraimage.

• Options
    FizziofinnFizziofinn ✭✭✭

Slow and steady sounds much more appealing than hot and heavy ...which is what I am heading out the door this minute to do. I hate intervals.

ATM - Hows it going lass? YOu were venturing for your third run when we last heard from you? Please say all is still going well and you are heading for the Champsimage

JOhn - hows the knee? It settle after a nights proper sleep?

Fi , you will fly on your 10K. NO worries thereimage

• Options
    OK, I've just been looking at the Pirate Ship of Fools pics from the Swiss Ironman and think that is really something I should aim for so its triathlon training all the way to next spring/summer (unless I get a London place or get all nostalgic about Paris when they release entry for next year. Watching the Tour de France did make me want to run there again!). Maybe (read: defintely!) not go straight for the full Ironman next year. That seems a bit excessive for a first year of Tris (or any year for that matter!! image). Any swimming tips would be greatly appreciated as my swimming technique is worse than shocking! Tried a mini Tri at the gym after work tonight. 600m Swim, 20km bike and 5km run. Absolutely knackered! A long way to go me thinks!