Options

Paris Marathon 2010

Comments

• Options
    Sluggard - from what I can gather having explored this a bit - joining a local tri-club getting r.good at crawl helps.  I do breast stroke i.e. I can survive but am not particularly quick and my crawl is totally cr*p.  Tri-clubs apparently do train people to swim. Cost of the equipment is still a bit of a problem for me instead of just myself ie. running have to fork out for a bike, wetsuit etc. so my aim is sometime in the next six months or so when my bank balance sorts itself out.  Local tri events probably a good start and cheaper than going for say Swiss Ironman immediately.
  • Options
    Thanks NGUG, no intention of going straight to the Swiss jobby! Have a reasonable road bike so thinking just some bolt on tri bars will do the trick for now on the bike front (and maybe one of those new helmets I saw on TdF that look like a piece of Edam cheese! I love pretty bits of kit!) Wetsuit can wait til next spring (when I have a new svelt figure from all this running ,cycling and swimming! image). Off to look for a local tri club!
  • Options
    Sluggard:  I would suggest that you have some lessons on "form" and technique for swimming.  Front crawl is far harder than people think, as swimmers actually make it look easy and effortless.  The key is not to make too much splash, fingers lead into the water, then pull along your body, bringing arm out of water leading with elbow slightly (this all sounds very complicated).  Again start off with a slow arm turn over, and just wait for it to "feel" easy.  Legs need to just tick over until last 10m then do 6 beat leg kick!!!  Hope this all makes sense, but have a coach assess your technique/style and then go from there.  A tri club is an excellent idea NGUG.  Good luck!!
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    image Quick hello from Amsterdam airport....yeah, sad.I know. Great reading, though! xxx * This machine is eating money...*
  • Options

finn- knee seems fine now, a new pair of runners will help me thinks,.slow and steady or hot and heavy.. we still talkin running!!!!

A very very very wet fartlek session over 6 miles tonight., jacket and hat in July!!! totally crazy! think ill emigrate!ATM hows the tropics in Scotland or maybe Donegal , Finn???image

• Options

Did a slow and steady 7 miler (longest since holiday) niggle free yesterday - whoppee!!!!  Looking out of the window at the constant drizzle and thinking no not today, Miss Claxton wants to run later today so will do a 3 mile with her - she'll probably maker me work really hard and she's only 13!!!  Number one son - Ed - joining me and iron man friend tomorrow for hills - this could be very interesting as (A) it is Ed's first hill session ever, (b) also double the length that he has ever run before.  He'll probably be fine as just coming up to 17 years!!!  Still it could be quite amusing, and that's only me as I struggle with the hills over 7 miles!!!  I do feel slow, steady and stop may be my strategy!!image

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    'Morning, all...
    Back from Prague.It's a lovely city...Good luck to DV and those he persuades to do the marathon, there. It'll be amazing.Fabulous weather..It's a country where sport for all is clearly part of he culture. I went swimming in various municipal pools and was really impressed by how well-used they are.* Swimsuits are out,Bikinis are in...no matter what age /shape/size the wearer *Lots of the pools seem to be openair, with adjoining sundecks and gardens for sunbathing and I really enjoyed the old pool , high above the town in a non-descript area, with access through a bar and fab views of Prague...Errr..What has this to do with Paris, 2010? Well, just how cool would it be to be able to train somewhere where everyone seems interested in exercise. Runners,cyclists, rollerbladers everywhere..

Hello, Sean image He'll have you signed up before you know it.

John, I was actually delighted to land in the pouring rain...and even happier that today is dry and sunny. * I know, some folk are never pleased...*
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Evening all. Crazy panic tomorrow to get all my jobs finished before I set off to the Lakes Friday. The week started well with 15 so far- 40 could be another struggle. ATM you do get about a bit...
  • Options

Number one son wimped out of the hill run this morning!!!  Must admit was slightly relieved - being put off to next thursday!!  Did a lovely slow 7.61 miles this morning with a friend coming back from calf injury (joining my club I do feel)  average pace 9.10m/m, with last 2 miles (on my own having deposited friend at her house) at 8.10 m/m pace, everything held together did leg drain and quad stretches to relieve the over stretched hamstrings at home.  Everything feeling fab.  Very happy bunny.  4 miles tomorrow evening with another friend - I trott home with her then run back!!  She makes me run at a steady 9mm and I make her run faster!!!  A good compromise I feel for the moment. 

Had  a very interesting morning, took Reg (dog) out for a walk, was going to drive to the woods in winnie (my 1996 mini) battery flat, jumped started it from other car, put jump leads in back.  Half way up the road noticed needed petrol.  Got to petrol station, pulled in filled up, went to start car, battery flat.  Asked a lovely gentleman to help as I stood and did pathetic female impersonation, jump leads in hand. Got a jump start - drove 7 miles to woods.  Walked dog for an hour or so, had a coffee daughter had rossi's 99, back at car, reg in back - battery flat again!!!  Askd a group of men golfers to help, they did got car started then drove all the way to basildon (not a place I tend to hurry to visit) turned round drove home - an hours round trip.  Hurrah - battery appears to be holding its charge!!!!  It has restored my faith in humane nature at the woods there were 6 men all trying to attach jump leads etc - was very amusing!!!!  But so kindimageimage.  All the while Reg had head resting on back shelf falling asleep!!!  Daft dog!!!

• Options
    Very disappointed have been told by hubbie can't afford dubln!!!!  Oh well will start saving for Paris nowimageimage.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Well folks it's that time again. The last sleep before holidays. Setting off early in the morning to drive from Paris to the Lakes via Eurotunnel. It could be a nightmare journey but long walks and longer runs await at the end of it. I may look in via my smart phone but if not see you all in a week or so.

image   image

• Options
    FizziofinnFizziofinn ✭✭✭

last long run in the bag 18 M done in sunny england this morning. Officially on taper nowimage

Have been carb loading but mainly with low sugar , high fat biscuits. Does that count?

Two weeks to go to Helsinki. Missing you all this week. will be nice to get home to easier computer access. How anti-social am i !!!

Off to scoff more stuff while there is no one to watch me stuffing myself.

If anyone is injured , in need of balance you should definitely check out  Emmet technique. Will post the website up soon. Have been working with it for last few days and the results are awesome.

Better go. Keep running , buddies.

ATM , you are some woman for one woman!! Will catch up soon. HOpe Prague went well.

• Options

Fizz;  am going to goole "emmet" technique!!  Did 3miler, more speedy at 8m/m average pacing!!! then an hour and a half of yoga - lovely!!!  going to try a 10miler lsr this sunday - hopefully weather will be kind to me!!  Enjoy the taper!!

Enjoy your holidays you all. 

• Options
    hi all i know it will have been asked many times but when do entries for this open, many thanks
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    Hello, adie. If they follow the usual pattern, entries will open at the beginning of September and it's on a ' first come, first served' basis. Last year, they closed towards the end of October/November, I think . I don't know about anyone else who ran 2009, but I never received my ' diploma' and DVD,,,,Anyone get them? I've emailed the organisers because the DVDs in previous years were a really great souvenir. * And I found this video on the old homepage image *F, chivalry is not dead...
  • Options

ATM:  have just watched video - brings back so many memories - elation, joy, pain and then achievement!!!!  Am now going out for a 10miler (hopefully), this am in the lovely sunshine - very gentle breeze here!!!

Good weekends to you all - unless you are on your hols!!!image

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    10 miles * envious sigh of longing/despair..*. Well done, F! This morning, I did 2x10 mins trot round ( and round and round ) the garden. Longest run since Paris. Can't believe how unfit I am, despite lots of cycling.
    I'd also forgotten how much I like cheesy pop!image

• Options

just spotted the camels in the video!!

also discovered that cant run next year  as it doesnt suit school holidays!image

• Options

ATM:  Congrats on the garden trotting, am certain you enjoyed it.  It is just great to read that you are back trotting again and being extremely sensible about it - fabulous!!  I remember not being able to trot for more than a minute then walking for a minute, repeating this for 1/2 when I first started, memories such memories!!  Within a month could cover the same distance trotting the whole way!!  You are not unfit - just using different muscle groups that don't want to work togetherimage.   Hopefully you mean music - "cheesy pop" not a variety of drink that can only be found in scotlandimage.  I've always been a fan of cheesy pop!!!

My 10 miles ended up being 11.2, done at 9.15m/m - very hilly course, all of which were up hil for the first 6.miles , then a 1 mile steep hill down to seafront, and 4 miles home.  Was very good, stopped at 10 miles exactly and did stretches and some very silly "chi" running exercises that made the people in the hotel across from the beach smile/laugh at me.  Used the last mile home as a cool down.  Will repeat this experience next sunday - a good course due to the hills, worked hard!! 

JohnM:  I also discovered the camels on the video - by the time I reached them was in too much pain and despair to noticeimage.  When is paris 2010 then john - will need to check school holiday dates!!

Rest day today - only taking dog for a 3 mile walk, then cycling with daughter in the woods!!!!

• Options

i saw the camels at the time, thoughti was going crazy!

i think the date for 2010 is april 11, the day before holidays end in ireland so im sitting it out

• Options

I never saw the camels. Cant wait to get to work to check the video on braodband. Will take to long to see it on the home dial up.

John , have you any desires for foreign marathons next year?If Paris doesnt work out of courseimage

Am going out for my first run since Friday. bank holidays make me so lazy. I am so long away from work that I cant get myself motivated to go back. I totally veg out! I am reminiscing about this time pre paris with all the weather checks etc. I think I will have yo go back and re-read these pages to get me psyched up again.

HOpe all the holiday makers are having lots of fun.

• Options

I only remember one camel - the other one must have got bored and gone home by the time I got there.

ATM - I did get a certificate, but no DVD. I had the impression that you had to order (and pay for) it separately, and I never got round to that. But I'd be interested to know if anyone's seen it.

• Options

Hi Finn,

re next year, i have a plan!!!!! im going to the the Poznan half marathon in Poland at the end of march and then have a holiday with herself in her hometown about 4 hours from there and then the piece de resistance is the midnight sun marathon marathon in Tromso!!! starts at ten at night and it gets cold i hear! two people from my running club have done it. omly about 400 runners so sure of a top 400 finish in a marathon. its on around june 20th

• Options

JohnM:  A midsummer's night marathon - how wonderful!!!  Sounds like a very cunning planimage.

Fizz:  You are on your taper now for helsinki aren't you?  Enjoy it - how is the weather looking for your run on 15 August, here just very muggy with light drizzle possible!!  Not bad running conditions but I still would suggest wearing as little as possible as I seem to get very hot whilst trotting at the moment.  Am going for a trott in 5 mins, about 6 miles - easy - I hopeimage!!

• Options

morning!

Princess Fiona- yea i want touse this running lark to visit places that  i havent seen before and that i do a little run while there. was looking at the course, a lot of out and back but flat with only 2 hills( bad ones, over a crazy lookig bridge!) at 2 km and 20km.

• Options

Hi All

I am thinking of doing this one as my first ever marathon, have done a few halfs averaging about 1hr 45 - 1hr 55. Will be following a garmin programme to hopefully go sub 4 !!!!                                     

looking forward to all your updates and will let u know how im getting on image

• Options

JM. I am definitley doing Tromso next year. All my running is going to be based around that. I nearly know the website off by heart!

I strained my hip last night. Could hardly walk on it this morning image. Think perhpas I was a bit over enthusiastic with stretching my gluts etc in the gym last night. Family still away on holidays and hadnt been in the gym in months. Decided to do my last interval/speed session  on the treadmill. Well now I wont run for the rest of the week and perhaps an easy couple of runs next week. Gulp. Hadnt planned on this. Still , it comes at a good time- rest and eating.image. And working on my head to manage the bridges !    Dont think  hip  is too serious although it is painful. MIght even go a tablet of anti - inflammatory, to help me on my way.

welcomd buggerlugs. it was our first marathon for many of us on this thread. Couldnt have managed without all the guys and girls on here. YOu will enjoy it and join the marathon club.image

• Options

Finn- tut tut, you should know better than trying anything new at this stage before a marathon!!!!but as you say could be a blessing in disguise. yea tromso looks so cool and the results seem to suggest lots of average times so not a speed merchants race!we should do a virtual training thing for that, could be a laugh, but all down the line.Speed work for me this evening, 8 x 1/4 mile intervals at 7:20-7:40 pace! cant wait!

yea after this autumn ill be gearing toward a few ten mile and half marthon runs and then Tromso!

• Options

You are right john, shouldnt have started stretching at this late stage. Should have stayed a lazy bugger and done the usual amount - which is practically nil - minimal image.

Having a massage this evening. Fingers crossed.

• Options

Lazy is good Finn remember!!!hope the massage helps, 6 miles this evening and then 5 in the morning and off to connemara for a few days then, might get one run in and then 13 miles on sunday