Options

Trots-again

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    definitely stress related yes

the adrenaline of a race doesnt help
  • Options
    Is it something you have always suffered from plodding Hippo? I do feel for those of you who actually have to go to the loo and get that compulsion..mine never usually gets that desperate I just haveto tolerate the umcomfortable cramps.
  • Options
    yes lorraine it is

im lucky if its only cramps

sigh

i always acarry tissues and now have no pride left really

i can "do the deed" in 10 seconds now

Its actually only an issue in a really busy city race like FLM
  • Options
    I have been following this sod of a problem for ten years now. I have given up trying to figure what triggers it, I am now focussing on what does NOT for deffo. So far, sugar is good, jelly babies are runners good food. Bananas have been good to me.

I really admire you going for FLM Hippo. I won't do it for this very reason and chuck in holidays abroad, races with no shitehouses, eating out (I think I pi55ed the Park Lane Hilton off the other day by not eating any of my 155 quid meal and binned 70 quids worth of booze) and god knows what else.

Someone MUST have doen some looking into the old trots somewhere?

PS by runners trots, do you all mean just a poo, or proper liquidisation of assets and signwrite the pan?
  • Options
    Dustboy-yes, FLM is a nightmare cos you cant nip behind a hedge

Theres very very little on this in the medical literature

i suppose its not trendy
  • Options
    Thank God I'm not alone! I feel so much better after reading this, and other threads on this 'sensitive' topic ;)

I suffer from this, but there seems to be no rhyme or reason to how often, when etc. I think it's mainly down to IBS, which for me tends to be stress- rather than diet-related. That said, I'm trying to get used to being an omnivore after 5 years of veganism, and am wondering whether to cut back again on dairy, although I'm now losing my enthusiasm for soya and hate rice milk.

Wheat seems to be the main thing that upsets my tummy - it bloats me and gives me terrible trumps as well as the, erm, other symptoms. I find the only breakfast I'm alright with before a morning run tends to be porridge with honey. I usually have to eat this 1.5-2hrs before running, to make sure I've had a chance to 'go'. Then I usually have to plan my route to make sure I pass a pit-stop.

Sometimes I have no bother at all - what's annoying is the unpredictability. I'm a little bit reluctant to use Immodium, although maybe I might consider it when I start to build up to longer runs (excuse the pun).
  • Options
    Yes thats the b****
    it is so unpredictable!!!!!!!

I only use immodium in races-i juszt acccept it in the training runs
  • Options
    Lady Pineapple, I know what you mean. It is SO frustrating. I guess the good thing (or bad thing) is that mine is a bit more predictable, in fact its like clockwork...only evening runs after work and comes on after about three miles! Its bad because thats the only time I can run during the week so I can't avoid it!!

I cycle to and from work, around 9 miles, then go out for my run (obviously trying to have a pit stop in between but usually not having success!!). Could the cycling be the cause does anyone think?
  • Options
    Ah yes, cycling... I don't cycle on the roads, but I do do spinning classes - could that be a factor, or is this not really the same?

Funny, with me it's generally in the morning (in as much as there are any rules). Which means I can only generally do morning runs at weekends, so I've got a long time to wait after breakfast. Pity, as I'm not that keen on running later when there's more traffic about.

The few times I've done any races (am still working up to more!!) I've had to get up REALLY early just to make sure.

The IBS itself is unpredictable - I've been told by several doctors that mine is stress-related, but I still don't always get it when I'm stressed, and sometimes I get it when I don't even think I'm stressed! Agh!

I'm learning to accept the IBS as an annoying feature of my body, and will probably just have to do the same with the trots...
  • Options
    Although this has been a major problem for me during training I've not really had a problem with races, until last weekend that is. I did the usual before the race, ie no dairy products for 3 days before and ate really plain food, no coffee or tea or food on the morning, plenty of fluid, immodium an hour before the race started. Then at 5 miles the worst case scenario happened and nowhere, I mean nowhere to go to sort it out. I carried on for another 8.1 miles, but it was so bloody embarrassing, and very painful, and it is seriously making me consider giving up running altogether. The thing is normally I don't go to the loo that often, but even a 5 minute jog these days seems to set the ball rolling so to speak.
  • Options
    Bessie, believe me, i can go anywhere-and I do mean-----

How many Immodium did you have
  • Options
    never had that prob meself;O)lol
  • Options
    Poor Bessie! It's never hit me quite as bad as that in a race - yet!

I remember before I got really into running, going out with my other half really early in the morning - 5.30am in winter when it was still dark. It was only four-mile run overall, but he actually had to sneak into someone's garden to 'go' halfway through (this particular suburb of Sheffield was very leafy, with lots of large shrub-filled gardens). I really didn't understand it at the time, but can quite appreciate the difficulty two years on!

I think you do just have to overcome your inhibitions. Can't be any worse than using festival toilets, although I have serious issues about not being able to wash my hands (obsessive-compulsive runner's personality coming through...)
  • Options
    ARGH! Went for a 5 miler earlier and 2 miles in had the most uncomfortable cramping in my guts. Had to walk for half a mile just for it to abate. Startedrunning again and it had lessened to a dull ache. I was so angry as I could have had a good run if that had not happened. It is definetley my 'achilles heel' in terms of running, Oh how I wish I could stop it. Today was the first time I also felt like I wanted to actually go to the loo...I hope it does not progress anymore eek!
  • Options
    Update from me - I have given up dairy within 24 hours before I run and so far so good......
  • Options

I found on my long run last Sunday morning that having not drunk alcohol the night before helped (normally have a few drinkies on a Saturday night).

Obviously this is very boring for a weekend (for many people), but the run was way better in terms of lack of gut dodginess.  I had a complete absence of the usual 'urge', although I'd still had to do my usual 'eat-breakfast-then-wait-a-long-while-to-see-if-I-can-go-before-leaving-the-house' thing.

Might try the no-dairy-24-hours-before thing, but possibly only for the long Sunday morning runs.

• Options
    ok so I think I have discovered what hasbeen causing my cramps....chocolate! I have cut it out of my diet and have not had any severe cramping since. I have had the odd twinge after a run but that has been it. woo hoo! image
  • Options

That

is

TRAGIC!!!!!!!!!!

• Options

lol hmmm of course there is that downside...I developed quite the taste for chocolate since the beginning of the year (I worked my way through a 1000 gram tin of celebrations in 3 days image) but no more large bag of M & M's for me

• Options

lol hmmm of course there is that downside...I developed quite the taste for chocolate since the beginning of the year (I worked my way through a 1000 gram tin of celebrations in 3 days image) but no more large bag of M & M's for me

• Options

Its not choc for me-hardly touch the stuff

but i am glad you have found the trigger

no more trotts for you

Ikg of choc sounds-erm-a LOT