adidas Women's 5K Challenge

I originally entered this for a PB, but now have a half mara training schedule which means I'm doing 12m run the day before image and doing this to support my friend's first run.

Who's in? Is it your first? Is it for fun? Are you training? Talk to me... if you want to image

Comments

• Hi - I'm new here, I did start another thread as I couldn't see anywhere to 'start off', and then I saw this!

I'm hopefully doing the Adidas 5km, not 100% sure yet as my other half is waiting for a date for an operation so it depends when that comes up.

If I do it it will be for Wellbeing of Woman as my friend works for them. It will be my second race, my first was race for Life in early July.

I wouldn't fancy doing a 12m run the day before though, can you re-arrange your training schedule to incorporate the 5km into it instead?

I can't imagaine being able to run 12m...yet. Hopefully one day.

Are you based in London?

• Hi MissL

I went to the page of the run and click on start new forum as I couldn't see there was one already.

How did your Race for Life go? I've done those before as well. It's a great atmosphere when everyone's running for the same reason.

Hmmm.. I ran my first half last year (Run to the Beat October 08), successfully although slowly, and was for charity. Last two halves weren't so successful so following a simple training schedule from Runners World to get me surerr and steadier image

Where do you/will you train.

I work in London, live in Greater London/Essex

Tracy

• Hi Tracy B

I'm in the same boat as you - meant to be doing 11 miles training run the day before the adidas women's challenge.  I'm running the 5k with my mum and a few friends who are new to running so I will just take it easy and stick with them rather than go all out for a PB.

Which half marathon are you training for? I am doing Royal Parks on 11th October.

VS

• Hi VS image

Run to the Beat, then Royal Parks (two halves in two weeks for this years charity event) image

Are you following the RW schedule? might be why you'll be on 11 and I'll be on 12 as RTTB is two weeks earlier. Have you done a half before?

I will be taking it easy for def image

Tracy

• Hi Tracy (and VS) image

I was pleased with my Race for Life as it was my first race and I ran it all in 33 minutes. I'd love to do the Adidas 5k in under 30 so I'd best get training.

I live in North Herts and am lucky in that there's some nice countryside to run in - I really need to start training properly now though and work at increasing the distance (and pace)

Hopefully I'll be discussing half marathons next year.....

• I'm doing this one this year.  Looking forward to it!  What are people doing about bag storage?
  • Wow TracyB - two in two weeks image that is impressive!

SJ4LJ - Last year I brought my boyfriend along to look after my stuff

Miss L - I live in Herts too (St Albans) but I used to live in London. It's nice to be able to train somewhere pleasant for a change!

• MissL - 33mins is a brill time for a first 5k! That's considering I've been running 1.5yrs now.. and still my PB is 29mins for a 5k! Well done.

SJ4LJ - Usually they have baggage storage but I haven't checked the site yet.

VS - Note I'm not a runner-runner image I'm just persistant.. half times are around 2.37 and training for 2.15-2.30 this year for charity event - considering it takes me 2 weeks to recover it's quite an ambition! image - then Brighton full next April image

I have dreadful running routes around the A12 image but the BF is taking me further into Essex for nice runs around his way, although we did a good one in Wanstead Park last week, but I tend to stick on main roads when running by myself.

• Hello All

I've entered the London run and am dreading it as I am a complete beginner and signed up for this as a goal to work to! I'm just a few weeks into a walk/run program and stuck at run for 5 mins so god ony knows how long it will take me to do a 5k!

Any other newbies attempting this one?

• Hi LisahC, We were all new to it once image

I'm running with my friend who Cycled Cuba but has never run in her life, so she's new to it and at a similar level to you.

It should be a lovely first run, and think there are people of all levels there, including walking. With women only it should be a fab atmosphere altho I know some very supportive men too (had to put that in case BF checks in)...

It's great to have a goal to work to, and well done on getting going!

Tracy

• Gutted this isn't being run in Birmingham this year, run every year until this image
  • I'm signed up for this- hoping it will be a fun race.
  • I'm signed up for it...

Did the Race for Life in late July, found it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be and signed up for this one...

Am now regretting it (slightly) as I wanted to run (jog) the whole way, but can only get to halfway on a treadmill and about quarter distance running in the woods locally...  Oh well - as long as I beat my RfL time of 44 minutes, that's all I want!

• Hi Madsue,

Well done on RFL time. I think you'll find it's different in a race atmosphere cos the other runners/joggers pull you along too. It also depends on ensuring you are well hydrated. Try and eat pasta dinners for a few nights before the run (carbo load) to help with your energy levels.. and ensure a good nights sleep beforehand. Above all, ensure you have fun image

Good Luck!

Tracy

• Have a question for anyone who may have done this race last year (see that it is the 2nd annual) or who may know someone that did it.  Do you get a t-shirt from the event??  This may sound silly or inconsiderate but I am traveling there for a vacation (aka holiday?).  I would like to do a run just to say I did one in England but would also like a momento image  Any suggestions if this one doesn't have a t-shirt.  Looks like a great event and I would love to get involved.  Obviously since I am only going to be there for the week fundraising really won't be too easy for me to acheive and I don't want to slight any of the organizations and have them have to send me race packets over here to the US.

• Hi, I did this last year, and am doing this this year too.

You do get a t-shirt, one of two I've ever had that fits, as its cut for women. The other was royal parks, which send you the shirt before hand in the right size.

You don't actually need to fundraise, you can just run the event for fun.

Good luck.

• Hi Tracy,

I'm running this for Amnesty International - I'm really looking forward to doing a structured event as my last race was back in May, since then I've been training solo. I'm hoping for a PB time in this one, as I am doing the Marathon du Medoc on the 12th September and as my first attempt at the distance (not to mention first race in fancy dress!) I am not expecting to set the world on fire with my time. A little confidence boost with a fast 5k time would go a long way! image

Good Luck to everyone in this race!  image

Xine

• I have just entered this one,looks like a big event!
  • Some of the entry fee includes a donaton to charity too.

Xine, what's Marathon du Medoc? Totally agree with the confidence boost - I'm running to support a friend who doesn't run - having done a 12m half mara training run the day before.. however, the nearer it gets I'm tempted for a PB too to have a proper first 'race' as opposed to plod.

• Tracy, Marathon du Medoc is the "fun" one - it's in the wine region of Medoc, France - all entrants in fancy dress and there are WINE STATIONS as well as water stations. Wine stations are the main reason why I doubt my time for the marathon will be worth mentioning image
  • xine, sounds great fun, I have heard of it now I know what it is, just didn't know the name. Am I doing it wrong by training with water? image

Not long for this one now... but I've just been told there's no baggage facilities, bring a friend to hold it according to the brochure image

Tried to phone to confirm this but just get a msg saying it's on Sunday.

Anyway, always something to grumble about image

Good luck and have fun everyone !

• alkialki ✭✭✭
    If its the same as previous years (and I've not seen anything that says it isn't!), then there is no official baggage facilities, but there are several tents for changing in and I've had no problem leaving my bag there while running.
  • I'm not sure whether to run this one or just walk it now image

I was supposed to be doing it with my mum and a couple of friends. My mum has done no training whatsoever and is intending to walk from the start. One of my friends can't take part for medical reasons and the other wants start off running but thinks she will have to walk by the end. So I don't know whether to run with her (and maybe carry on running even if she stops) or walk with my mum - I don't want to leave either of them on their own but it looks like I'll have to.

I don't mind either way - I'm not expecting a PB as I'll have done a long run the day before (for Royal Parks Half) so my legs will be tired - but I just don't know who to support. I feel bad either way, although it is their own fault for not training image  

• Hi VS image

Convince your friend to walk with your mum, and you can race it with me image I would have done my12m on Saturday too but hoping for quick recovery by Sunday.

Thanks alki

• VS - I'm now in the same boat, have been diagnosed with Runners Knee image I tried a gentle 5k on Tuesday, physically just couldn't run the whole way. And today my knee is still aching. After this and the marathon (which will be a 26 mile hobble) I shall have to hang up my Asics for a few months and concentrate on serious rehab.

Tracy - I'm told the drinking training is one of the most important parts - running 26 miles will be a huge problem, but I can sure drink it image

• Hee hee, nice plan TracyB. However I spoke to me friend last night and she definitely wants to try to run and it's her first ever race so I'm going to run with her. I've never actually run the day after my long run before, usually have rest day or swim, so I'm going to be taking it slowly.

Oh dear xine267, thats bad luck about your knee, at least you'll have the wine stations to hobble towards image

• Read in the paper today that Jessica Ennis will be the official race starter, and quite a few celebrities will be doing the run so it looks like it will be a fun event.

Apparently the course record is about 15 minutes, set by Paula Radcliffe 6 years ago- anyone going for that?! image

• Hi VS, my knees are cranky today and my lower back, after last nights faster pace. Got it wrong too.. was looking at next week's schedule, cos am doubling up on last weeks, so 5m was meant to be at 11mmp, done it at 9.55mmp avg image 1 mile swim tonight, 12m tomorrow, bath and relaxing ready for a PB (fingers crossed!) on Sunday.. haven't heard from my friend and she's been on hols this week so am by self image - my long run is usually Sunday, then swim/relax Monday too.. but didnt work cos of this run.

15 lottylou?! Yes! hope to do this in half the distance image

Xine, are you relaxing and recovering? Painful knees are horrible. It does worry me, training for halves and then Brighton Marathon, that I'll fall apart just in the training!

• sorry TraceyB- perhaps I'm being dumb but don't really understand what you mean by that!
  • think she means she'll do half the race in 15 mins... image